What WDW resort would you never stay at and why?

LaunchPadMcQuack

I would not stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge again.

We typically stay at the Fort Wilderness Cabins every year because we really like the extra space and ability to walk right out the door and be outside. A couple of years ago we decided to splurge and split our trip between FWC and AKL Jambo House, as we were always curious about the AKL.

The novelty of having the animals in view from your villa balcony wore off pretty quickly. Once we were over that we felt like we were just in an overpriced hotel.

We also felt like the buses did not come often enough to Jambo house, we were often waiting 20-30 mins for buses which is not ideal with young children.

All though cast members are equally friendly at all the resorts, it seems that the guests staying at the AKL are much less friendly than those at Fort Wilderness.

bethymouse

If I had a chance, I'd stay at any Disney resort. Although lately we've become "Deluxe Snobs", as some of you have mentioned. I can't get my Mom to stay at the Contemporary. She doesn't like the "convention" feel of the hotel ( yes... it is a convention hotel).;) We do avoid the value resorts, but in the beginning we did start there. We just hate taking the buses, but I would do anything to stay at any Disney resort really.;) Since the value resorts do not have table service restaurants, I guess that's why we don't stay there any more... plus the "old motel" feel with outside corridors. I loved the towel animals the maids did for my little guys ( 9 years ago).;)

cornandacobb

<------Deluxe snob. Actually I am an Epcot snob.
I've only stayed at Epcot resorts. I feel, at this point, like I need to be able to walk to Epcot. And I need other things going on around me other than just my resort....no isolation. I sort of wish that my first trip in 2006 (all expenses paid family vacation!!) was not to the Yacht Club, because now I am spoiled.
But I also don't go to DW every year. It's been every other year with a 4 year break this go round: 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2016(next month).

I would have to say the Contemporary. I think the lobby is ugly, the middle concourse is ugly stuck in a 1990's mall theme,,(use to be a posh hotel very nice and upscale) they have let it go and basically taken the Disney out of the theming and rooms, way too modern and lacks a Disney touch, or what use to be the Disney feeling. And the price is just outrageous for what it is anymore.
I completely agree! I know it is an îconic hotel with lots of Disney history but it feels like a train station. Always busy and noisy with people arriving and departing but all the rooms are off this main concourse. At least at other popular tourist resorts like the poly your rooms are off in other buildings and it's just the public areas that are high traffic.

Spencerrr

I would never stay at Pop again. A lot of people complain about the size but thats never bothered me as much as I feel like the resort just isn't kept well, Its always had a weird smell to me and the theming is bold but not really that great. The worst part by far though is the bus system. When you are leaving the MK at 11:30 and been in the park for the entire day and then line for the bus is spilling out of the queue and babies are crying its the absolute worst way to end a day/vacation. Ive sometimes waited close to an hour for a bus because you'd have to catch the 3rd or 4th one that came by.

ninjaprincesst

Fort Wilderness or any of the All Stars. Yes I admit it I'm a deluxe snob. I have stayed at all the All Stars as well as Pop but once I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge the first time I was spoiled to deluxes. Now since staying in deluxes for several trips we had to stay at Music on my daughters band trip and it was torture. Even thought my budget says all stars I won't go back.

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

I think people are missing out by dismissing the Fort Wilderness cabins off hand. They're not really "cabins" and they're a great way to get villa-esque accommodations at a great value.

For me, I'll never stay at the Grand. I love the deluxe resorts but the Grand feels overly formal and over-the-top expensive. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, it'll be at the Polynesian. For now we're very comfortable in the moderates or "lower end" deluxes (AKL, WL, OKW, SSR).

I agree with both your FW and GF comments.

To expand on GF: It feels like a place my wife (if I were married) would force me to go. I've been inside it and it's nice and all that but it seems more like a lady-resort with it's decor, spas, etc. than a guy resort. I much prefer the WL to it but the bus service there can suck by comparison.

Some I won't say "never" but I will avoid in the future is the value resorts. They're great for what they are but you're staying in a Disney motel and people (teenagers) tend to run amuck at all hours of the night. You don't get that at moderate or deluxe resorts.

As it is now, I'm just going to stay off property going forward. For the price of an on-site moderate resort I can get an upscale deluxe-like resort off property.

jmargarone27

I am such a snob when it comes to hotels...and I'm very particular about what themes I like. I have stayed at Grand Floridian, Bay Lake Tower, Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Springs, and Port Orleans Riverside. I would never stay at a value or moderate (again). I like all the Epcot resorts, but my favorite is Boardwalk. My absolute favorite is the Grand Floridian, we stay there pretty much every time unless we are going for Food and Wine Festival. I would never ever stay at the Polynesian. The Polynesian is classic Disney, but I really don't like the theme and the resort feels dark and quite frankly, dirty. I don't see camping as a vacation, so I wouldn't bother with Fort Wilderness.

Noellikechristmas

Value Resorts. I've only stayed at POR and I've explored most of the deluxe resorts. I feel like the Values appear to be more compact and I really enjoyed the spaced out feel of POR (and other moderates appeared to be that, also). After staying at a moderate, I really want to save up and stay at a deluxe (hopefully the beach club). That said, I don't think I'll ever do anything less than a moderate.

If I was stay at/pay for a deluxe, I would want to be able to get to 2 parks w/o taking a bus. So I don't see myself at WL or AKL

PS- That clown pool is creepy as F

bunnyman

Value Resorts. I've only stayed at POR and I've explored most of the deluxe resorts. I feel like the Values appear to be more compact and I really enjoyed the spaced out feel of POR (and other moderates appeared to be that, also). After staying at a moderate, I really want to save up and stay at a deluxe (hopefully the beach club). That said, I don't think I'll ever do anything less than a moderate.

If I was stay at/pay for a deluxe, I would want to be able to get to 2 parks w/o taking a bus. So I don't see myself at WL or AKL

PS- That clown pool is creepy as F

Did some values when the kids were small and we were doing short trips and trying to keep it on the cheap side (back when values actually were cheap). Impossible to do with older kids/young adults given the room layouts, so I'd say they were off my list as well.

I don't know about never, but I'd be hesitant to stay at a moderate. The whole internal bus system stresses me out. A whole separate commute before your commute to the park. A whole separate commute to get coffee in the morning. No thanks. We like values right now because we have small kids and everything is a 5 minute or less walk away. If we win the lottery some day, I'd consider a deluxe because being able to walk to a park seems like it would be beneficial. Right now, we use our hotel to sleep, shower maybe take a dip in the pool, etc. Convenience is key right now and the moderates seem too big and spread out to accommodate that.
I loved staying at the Value resorts when our daughter was younger. It felt like staying inside a Disney movie! Now that she's older our favorite resort is POFQ - mainly because it's smaller so there's less walking.

bethymouse

@Brad Bishop Actually, we thought that too about the Grand Floridian (snobby/uptight/too rich/too female... since I have 2 boys!). But, it was quite the opposite. We felt pampered, and it was just a beautiful experience. I recommend it to anyone, at least once! The restaurants on property are some of the best, and the amenities are somewhat worth the extra $$$$. IMHO;)

bethymouse

@jmargarone27 The Polynesian has gone through quite a change since the recent refurbishment. It is not quite as "dark" and definitely not "dirty". If you never get a chance to visit Hawaii, then it's fairly close to actually being there. The entire experience is worth it ($$$) IMHO. 'Ohana and Kona Cafe are 2 wonderful and popular restaurants. The Spirit of Aloha Show is fun, and worth trying at least once. The "Aloha" feeling is nice when you check-in (even though they give you plastic leis).;) The new bar Trader Sam's is a neat experience... although the Nautilus drink ( meant to be shared) is 52$!:eek: Give the Polynesian a try. You just might like it.:D

TB4244

I'd say any of the AS, while there was nothing wrong with the resort itself I wasn't keen on the large amount school groups/bands etc staying there. I prefer something quieter.
I'd stay in another value if I HAD to but we'll probably stick with a moderate.

bee

I've stayed at 4/5 value resorts (no Movies), POR, CSR, and the Dolphin so my experience actually staying at most resorts is limited. I have visited every single resort in property with the exception of FW.

Given the choice between staying at a WDW resort that's not my favorite and not going to WDW, the non-favorite resort will always win. However, I wouldn't pick the following as my first choice:
Value: any All Star
Mod: Caribbean Beach
Deluxe/DVC: Old Key West, Saratoga Springs
Other: I would stay at FW cabins but not at a campsite. I spent enough time outside with bugs as a kid growing up in Florida. I do NOT want to deal with that on vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom