What was the Buzz Lightyear ride before it was the Buzz Lightyear ride?

FatBoy976

I know people will hate for this but...

All the rides in that space before Buzz were terrible. Don't get me wrong, I love pretty much all of the extinct Disney rides (Horizons, 20k Leagues, etc) but I always thought If you had wings and Dreamflight were terrible. I couldn't figure out any story other than "flying good". And Dreamflight had card-board cut out figures instead of audio animatronics. As far as classic attractions go, this one needed to be replaced. That's just my opinion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Dreamflights cardboard cutouts were in the Air-Circus scene - symbolistic of the technology portrayed in that scene. As the ride progressed, and the technology portrayed advanced, so did the technology used on the ride. Very clever. Think of the dioramas of Paris and Sanfrancisco for example, scenes that like Tokyo had Animatronic (actually minimaltronic) figures in them. Those scenes were works of art!

There again, I don`t care much for the MK`s Buzz Lightyear :D

iyhwwom1.jpg

Is this a picture of the old WEDway people mover cars?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
yourbigbrother - in short, a minority of guests complained that they ignored the warnings in the guide map, at the attraction entrance and in the holding area, and they`re kids were scared. And so we have SGE. Do a thread search - there are lots of interesting (not to mention heated) debates about this. Oh, welcome! :wave:

MickeyMan101 - nope. That is the exterior track of the original World of Motion building (replaced by Test Track) - it`s an Omnimover in the pic. WDW`s WEDWay cars (now the TTA) have been the same since opening July 1st 1975, bar the odd paint job.

wedway71

OMG-I used to love "IF YOU HAD WINGS"-I still have the theme song in my head.We used to fly Eastern all the time expect when we flew National(my cousin was a pilot there so sometimes got to fly free).I still to this day swear that song"UP, UP, AND AWAY IN MY BEAUTIFUL BALLOON" song was in that attraction but I think im delusional-lol.

EpcoTim

Dreamflight was a great ride. I would ride that, and force whoever I was with, to ride it repeatedly. Never been on Buzz, and never will either, I miss Dreamflight that much. It had a certain feel to it that no other ride has been able to capture.

MouseearsDeb

I liked the market scene where the man and woman would "follow" you from window to window with their music and song.

If you had wings....had wings....

I'm pretty easily entertained though, and like Buzz as well. Just something about that whole "take off" scene that was breathtaking!:eek:

Two more weeks and we're outta here!:D

JEDIsney

I feel really left out because I went to Disney plenty of times when Dreamflight was there, but I don't remember any of it :(

Was the song for any of the rides that took place in that spot "Magic Journeys" by any chance? Because I have an old cassette of songs from Walt Disney World. And of course, I don't have a date on it either. But there's this song, "Magic Journeys", and I have no idea what it's from.

a2grafix

noname70 said:
"You do have wings...." Wow. My first trip to WDW in 1977. It was free so my cousin and I rode endlessly-pretending that we were pilots. We rode on Eastern to Orlando from NY and got little wings pins-how cool. This was an era when people dressed up for flights so my mom made me wear my "liesure suit"on the plane-I thought it was cheasy then too. :hurl:

I echo that. My first trip to WDW was in 1977 but it was by the family stationwagon. My first plane flight came in 1979 to WDW, and yes, my parents told me to dress up -- church clothes and the like. There some sort of special feeling of flying in an airplane in that we had to respect it, and I sort of still do to this day.

"Wings" was a great free ride, great A/C as people have said, and when you rode the peoplemover you saw another side of "wings," as you did in space mountain.

The best part of the wings ride, or the most vivid, besides going through the tunnel (like the old world of motion dark ride) was somehow getting the feeling of flight by dropping down over the rooftops of Rio. I think that was one of the scenes.

a2grafix

MouseearsDeb said:
I liked the market scene where the man and woman would "follow" you from window to window with their music and song.

If you had wings....had wings....

Um, I think that is used also in the Mexico dark boat ride, or the "wings" scene was patterned to be used for the Mexico ride.

MouseearsDeb

Yeah, come to think of it, I think I do remember seeing it on that ride as well. I think that is one of the rides that tends to be overlooked. It's just kind of stuck in a back corner and if you don't know it's there, it's easy to miss.

Blackie Pueblo

This ride was simple, but so cool. I loved the bullet like room. That film they featured on the walls made you feel like you were flying.

WDWfan that site was cool. Memoriessssss.... like the corners of your mind.....

Blackie Pueblo

Laura

JEDIsney said:
I feel really left out because I went to Disney plenty of times when Dreamflight was there, but I don't remember any of it :(

Was the song for any of the rides that took place in that spot "Magic Journeys" by any chance? Because I have an old cassette of songs from Walt Disney World. And of course, I don't have a date on it either. But there's this song, "Magic Journeys", and I have no idea what it's from.

Of course you don't remember it, you were what, 8 when it closed? :lol: I don't remember any Disney attractions from the 80's for the same reason.

Magic Journeys is from Epcot - imagination pavillion. Closed in the 80's.

scottnj1966

video clip

natalia1681 said:
What was the Buzz Lightyear ride before it was the Buzz Lightyear ride? I have heard the talk about the same tracks used from the previous ride, but for the life of me, I can't think of what that ride was.

So
1. What was the ride before?
2. Does anyone have any pics of it?

I'm trying to remember this ride, and simply can't.

P.S. On a side note, I booked my October trip. I'm staying at the Pop Century and participating in the dining package! Whoo hoo!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited!

48 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I can send you a video clip of if you had wings. I may also have dreamflight.
bigfloridacountry@cfl.rr.com

JEDIsney

Laura22 said:
Of course you don't remember it, you were what, 8 when it closed? :lol: I don't remember any Disney attractions from the 80's for the same reason.

Magic Journeys is from Epcot - imagination pavillion. Closed in the 80's.

Yeah, I was 8. But that's pretty surprising for me, because I have an amazing memory, and can remember things from when I was 2. You'd think that I'd be able to remember something from my favorite place on earth. Oh well, heh.

And thank you for the information on Magic Journeys. That's been killing me for some time now. Was Magic Journeys a ride? Or was it just a song played in the pavillion?

Dreamflight was a classic but I absolutly love Buzz! One of my favorite rides in MK now. We always go with a group of people and have a ball trying to get the high score. Unlike Alien Encounter, I think this was a big plus. I havent even been on new revamped Stitch ride yet, February will be my first time, but come on... a friendly, loveable Disney character is supposed to scare you? Sorry thats just dumb.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
JEDIsney said:
Yeah, I was 8. But that's pretty surprising for me, because I have an amazing memory, and can remember things from when I was 2. You'd think that I'd be able to remember something from my favorite place on earth. Oh well, heh.

And thank you for the information on Magic Journeys. That's been killing me for some time now. Was Magic Journeys a ride? Or was it just a song played in the pavillion?

Magic Journey was the original inhabitant of the Magic Eye Theater (true name of the theater at the Imagination pavilion). It was replaced by Captain EO, and later Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.

Magic Journey's was this sorta 70's multicultural group of kids going around and looking at nifty things in 3D, it was sorta trippy. They encountered a giant stilt walking clown with balloons, there's some time spent frolicing on the beach i think, and there's one point where a witch comes on the screen and tries to zap you.

After EO was built, i think the film got a breif period in the MK at the theater next to Peter Pan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom