What was the Buzz Lightyear ride before it was the Buzz Lightyear ride?

JEDIsney

mousermerf said:
Magic Journey was the original inhabitant of the Magic Eye Theater (true name of the theater at the Imagination pavilion). It was replaced by Captain EO, and later Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.

Magic Journey's was this sorta 70's multicultural group of kids going around and looking at nifty things in 3D, it was sorta trippy. They encountered a giant stilt walking clown with balloons, there's some time spent frolicing on the beach i think, and there's one point where a witch comes on the screen and tries to zap you.

After EO was built, i think the film got a breif period in the MK at the theater next to Peter Pan.

Wow, I never knew that. That's so interesting, too. I never would have imagined it like that. Thank you so much for that information, I will never forget that. Thanks, Merf :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Pg 105, Walt Disney's EPCOT CENTER:

The film begins with a children running through a meadow. They gaze at the clouds, which float off the screen right into the audience and then are reflected in the eye of a child.

One of the children blows on a dandelion, and the floating spores become stars, a sun. Solar flares shoot out in bursts of heat and light before metamorphosing into water. On a beach, a child flies a kite, which floats out of the screen through a window and changes into a bird, a fish, a school of fish, a flock of birds; into wings, Pegasus, a real horse, a carrousel horse. The merry-go-round rider reaches from the brass ring - and so do we, but it turns into a moon, to bats, to witches, to masks, to the Sphinx.

There are clowns on stilts, a baby's rattle floating in midair, a magician performing a hat trick - and suddenly but naturally the dandelions return as we find ourselves back in the meadow with the children. We look into a child's eye, which blinks, ending the wonderful excursion into imagination.

Tigger1988

JEDIsney said:
Is it plainly called Walt Disney's EPCOT CENTER? I'd be interested in buying it.

Being as it hasn't been on sale since 1982 I think the only way you would ever find it would be Ebay

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Full name of book: Walt Disney's EPCOT Center - Creating the New World of Tomorrow.

There are 2 versions, the longer one came out shortly after Epcot opened and has more information, the first is like the cliff notes version of the longer.

JEDIsney

Thank you both very much. I looked it up on Amazon and it's available, so I should be buying it. Thanks for the information and the recommendation.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`ll add another vote for the book. Superb.

As Mousermerf said, Magic Journeys played in the Fantasyland Theatre (which had been empty since The Mickey Mouse Revue left for Tokyo in 1980) after EPCOT Center from December 15th 1987 to December 1st 1993; to be repalced by Legend of the Lion King - now Philharmagic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
a2grafix said:
Um, I think that is used also in the Mexico dark boat ride, or the "wings" scene was patterned to be used for the Mexico ride.

Yep, the Market seller scene is from El Rio Del Tiempo in Mexico. However, El Rio was heavily influenced by If You Had Wings, which did have a similar scene - if I said traffic officer directing cars at a junction and pink flamingoes would that ring a bell?

RalphieN

Growing up, I have very few memories of spending time with my father. He was always "busy" when I was a kid but we visited my grandparents in West Palm Beach at least once per year and when we did, I would usually get one day at the Magic Kingdom (that was all that was there then, no EPCOT, MGM, etc.) with my Mom AND Dad. It was back when you purchased A-E tickets for the attractions. I remember in detail 4 attractions from when I was a kid which we did every time we went. Pirates of the Carribean was a must do and is still my favorite, Mr. Toad was a fun and wild ride, The Tiki Room was the same ticket as the Country Bears but the line was always shorter so we always saw the birds and Eastern's If You Had Wings because it was free. I loved that attraction; you could ride it more than once because it didn't cost any tickets. Someone else mentioned being given the wings pins at the ride which jarred my memory. I used to love those things.

Just sitting here remembering the ride with my dad and getting a laugh at the traffic cop and the flamingos. What a great memory. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom