What was the big deal w/ the 20K Leagues Under the Sea ride?

klineski96

Original Poster
Occasionally on these boards I hear people talk about how great the 20K Leagues Under the Sea ride in MK was. Personally I don't remember a thing about it, and so I need for those who remember it and for those who loved it to tell me what was so great about it. Also, if you rode it and didn't like it, why not?

From what I've read, after long wait times you were crammed into a small submarine and could only look out small windows. What was so great about that? :shrug:

Like I said, I know I've been on it, but I was very very young and just don't remember it. Maybe someone could also post some old pics?

AshaNeOmah

From what I've read, after long wait times you were crammed into a small submarine and could only look out small windows. What was so great about that? :shrug:

That's pretty much it, but being crammed in that sub seemed so much more fun than a Winnie the Pooh play area. Actually being in an 'underwater' vehicle is something that you can't do in most places and it really gave me the impression of being on an adventure. More so than any of the other rides in Fantasyland. I was pretty young too, but I have very fond memories of Captain Nemo and the Nautilus.

SirGoofy

Personally, I thought the ride was incredibly lame, but the aesthetic pleasure of seeing the subs chug along in the lagoon, and just the lagoon in general was awesome.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
At the time it was state of the art in every way, with no corners cut.

Think Indy meets Soarin' meets Everest.

fauna

Ok, I went on this plenty of times as a kid. And, at the risk of being the target of hatred and flames, didn't really like it. It was cramped, dark, hot and humid. You were crammed in this thing and truthfully, barely saw anything out of the windows. In fact, after the first 2-3 times I refused to ride it. That's right, I had the CHANCE to ride this classic attraction yet didn't.

And, yes, I feel the curses of a thousand fanboys raining down upon me.

klineski96

Original Poster
At the time it was state of the art in every way, with no corners cut.

Think Indy meets Soarin' meets Everest.

Marni please don't think I'm trying to be rude or argue with you, but based on what I'm hearing and from what I've read, it doesn't sound anything like any of those 3 rides in any way, in fact just the opposite, and not state of the art even for it's time.

But honestly, I don't remember anything about it so I can't base anything on personal experience.

Maybe the website posted above by figmentfanatic will help, I'll be checking it out when I get home tonight.

Good discussion so far, thanks all for your responses. I enjoy hearing about the older rides from those who remember them!

Saoirse1916

It was always one of my favorites at the Magic Kingdom. It was uncomfortable to everyone but small kids but that seemed to add to the realism -- real subs are not the most spacious vehicles -- but the idea of riding underwater in a sub was just fascinating to me and at the time the effects were great, in my opinion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, I was only 7 when I first rode. I admit by 1987 we skipped it. But back then.. wow. Just be clear, I`m glad it has gone today. It would be embarrassing.

JustInTime

I was a nice, new ride at one point. I personally think it seemed a bit boring. If we finally get the Mermaid ride(I would rather it be Beauty and the Beast) then it was worth being torn down.

RiversideBunny

It was a good ride. Unique at the time.
Also the movie 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea' was popular.

The main problem that did it in, I think, is that it was slow loading and couldn't handle the increasing volume of guests.
Each submarine only held about 11 people at at time.

:)

EPCOT Explorer

It was a good ride. Unique at the time.
Also the movie 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea' was popular.

The main problem that did it in, I think, is that it was slow loading and couldn't handle the increasing volume of guests.
Each submarine only held about 11 people at at time.

:)

The book, too!:D

I_heart_Tigger

I remember riding it a few times in my younger days. It was kind of like the Tiki room for us...one of those "Why did we do that, AGAIN!!! It was just as bad as the first time!!!!" moments :brick::brick::brick:

Picture yourself crammed into a BO infested can watching dead looking fish being pulled around on large highly visible ropes....ooohhh...exciting.

Sorry, I wasn't a fan but I do think it could have been improved upon and updated with newer technologies to make for a more impressive attraction rather than a playground.

As much as I disliked the ride I think the space has gone to waste

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom