What to do about people taking flash pictures on rides.

What do you do about people taking flash photos on rides?

• Ignore it, it doesn't really bother me.

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • I ask politely for them to stop and if they don't I don't press it.

Votes: 27 25.5%
  • I repeatedly ask them to stop getting increasingly hostile each time.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • I tell a CM after the ride but to no avail.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • I instantly go bananas and start flashing them in the face, I'll dispose of their camera if I must.

Votes: 14 13.2%

• Total voters

Mystic

On my last trip in Oct 07 it wasn't until our last day that the flash pictures really started getting to my friend and I. We were on pirates and this guy a row in front of us just kept taking picture after picture. I just kept making comments about how rude people were today and nothing, he just kept taking pictures. Same thing on HM. In the dining room scene, someone took a flash picture and my friend sat forward and shouted down the row of cars to stop taking pictures. When we got to Madam Leotta's room, I heard a weird noise from the car behind us only to look over just in time to get flashed right in the face. Thankfully there were no little kids in the surrounding cars becuase my language after that was not little kid friendly and they got the point. Also at the end of the ride when you get the hitch-hiking ghosts, we were at the last mirror when some idiot 2 cars behind us took a flash picture and it richochet off the mirror and got me right in the eyes again which led to another comment about the flash photography loud enough for them to hear. We know they got the message cause we saw them lean forward in their seats to see who had said it.

cococola44

On my last trip in Oct 07 it wasn't until our last day that the flash pictures really started getting to my friend and I. We were on pirates and this guy a row in front of us just kept taking picture after picture. I just kept making comments about how rude people were today and nothing, he just kept taking pictures. Same thing on HM. In the dining room scene, someone took a flash picture and my friend sat forward and shouted down the row of cars to stop taking pictures. When we got to Madam Leotta's room, I heard a weird noise from the car behind us only to look over just in time to get flashed right in the face. Thankfully there were no little kids in the surrounding cars becuase my language after that was not little kid friendly and they got the point. Also at the end of the ride when you get the hitch-hiking ghosts, we were at the last mirror when some idiot 2 cars behind us took a flash picture and it richochet off the mirror and got me right in the eyes again which led to another comment about the flash photography loud enough for them to hear. We know they got the message cause we saw them lean forward in their seats to see who had said it.

OH Flashwork on HM IS HORRIBLE IT DISTROYS THE ILLUSION!

=(

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Paintballcopy.jpg

***special thanks to jmaxwell007 for the photoshoping job***

Tom Morrow

I think it bothers me more though that the CM's see it on camera and most of the time don't say anything.
It is considered bad show to inturrupt the ride's audio to address a guest, unless of course the guest is doing something unsafe. On most rides, the CMs would not be able to single out the message to one vehicle, and instead would inturrupt the show for several vehicles, maybe even the entire ride.

Also, if you tell a CM about a guest using flash photography, the only thing they can do is mention to the guest that flash photography and external lighting is not allowed. However, if you feel that it ruined your experience, they will most likely let you ride again.

Figment1989

We were on IASW and POTC, and two different groups of people did it. My boyfriend kept making comments trying to get them to understand. Finally, he got so angry that he started saying "maybe when I throw your camera into the water, you'll understand that flash photography is NOT allowed and you are ruining it for all of us!"

they stopped :lol:

ele

Account Suspended
I usually pretend I'm scratching my head but actually I have my middle finger up. They love it when they get home (or back to their rooms) and look over the pictures.

you do know a normal reaction time is slower than a shutter speed lol picture was most likely already done before you even raised your hand. just pointing out doing that is pretty much useless unless u know exactly when they are going to take the picture and flip em off maybe a second before they snap the picture wich is pretty much unlikley.

MKMICKEYFAN#1

But if someone continues, I will continue to correct them, and turn them in to a cast member. And I've met those folks with the big video camera with the light as well. Asked them to turn off the light two times before they did. A simple policy of confiscating cameras of people who repeatedly ignore the rules and ruin the other guest enjoyment would suffice nicely.

No offense to those of you who feel the need to correct other visitors to Disney....ummm not cool. I can see asking someone to stop but "correcting" is not needed. If they dont stop then get over it, and tell the CM at the end, and 9 times out of 10 they'll let you reride.
I understand it can be annoying as I am a CM and its quite irritating when people don't listen to the announcements.
Unfortunately most of these people are grown ups, and you as a guest cannot make someone stop doing something because it is an annoyance. You can simply tell a CM, but even 'turning in' a guest to a CM will not make your ride better.
Remember....Disney is a place in which we all love. Most of us on here are regulars and the next time someone is as rude and annoying to take flashes just think...this may be their only time at Disney, heck it might be someone who saved up for years and years just to take their family once. Just because we love Disney (and most of us feel as though its ours) doesnt give us the right to ruin another guest's vacation.

Simply go to a CM and they'll let you reride.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

sublimesting

Original Poster
A lot of the people who do that I have seen are chinese people and teenagers.

Sad...BUT I actually have taken pictures before where it is acceptable but the times I forget to take off the flash and everyone looks at me I beg for forgiveness. I have this new Fuji camera that I CAN'T wait to use it there this summer. Talk about great dark pictures without the flash.

What kind of camera is it? I am looking to buy a digital as I don't have one and am so so so confused.

Philo

I think that 99% of the time it's not because people are rude, it's because they want to get those special pictures but they

a) don't know how to turn off their flash
b) can't turn off their flash
c) don't think about how it annoys others

for c) it's very easy to get lost in the magic and forget that other people are around you and that a flash can spoil the effect. I would think most people would be quite appologetic though if someone calls them on it.

One of the best ways to stop this IMHO is to give some very brief advice on the park maps and in the queue lines. Perhaps even see if the various photo stores or photopass CM's can quickly show you how to turn off you flash. It's not exactly difficult.

If people are aware that their photo's will not be of a wonderful atmospheric scene but a poor imitation ruined by the flash and exposing all the mechanics etc, they would probably be less inclined to use their cameras.

Of course, your always going to get the 'I paid for this, I'm going to use my camera when I want how I want people'. It's just a shame that they don't undertand that it's runing it for others and their pictures just won't live up to the memories.

No offense to those of you who feel the need to correct other visitors to Disney....ummm not cool. I can see asking someone to stop but "correcting" is not needed. If they dont stop then get over it, and tell the CM at the end, and 9 times out of 10 they'll let you reride.
I understand it can be annoying as I am a CM and its quite irritating when people don't listen to the announcements.
Unfortunately most of these people are grown ups, and you as a guest cannot make someone stop doing something because it is an annoyance. You can simply tell a CM, but even 'turning in' a guest to a CM will not make your ride better.
Remember....Disney is a place in which we all love. Most of us on here are regulars and the next time someone is as rude and annoying to take flashes just think...this may be their only time at Disney, heck it might be someone who saved up for years and years just to take their family once. Just because we love Disney (and most of us feel as though its ours) doesnt give us the right to ruin another guest's vacation.

Simply go to a CM and they'll let you reride.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Are you actually suggesting that a person who confronts the selfish, flash-using, rule-breaking moron and calls them out for breaking the policy that Disney has instituted for the safety and well-being of all park guests is in the wrong?
I hope I misunderstood your post because, if that's what you meant, we need to talk!

While riding TGMR last August, we sat behind a family with a flash camera. The mom started taking pictures almost immediately. I simply said, "No flash photography, please". She paid no attention and kept going. I stated again, louder this time, and she kept going. Now, her daughter was turning around and giving us dirty looks. I said it again and realized that this woman was pretended not to understand me because she was speaking in another language. She must've known what I was saying, however, because she handed the camera to her husband. Was she thinking that I wouldn't say anything to a man? I then stated loudly and clearly and in Spanish that no flash photography was allowed. That did the trick. At the end of the ride, the family exited quickly. We spoke to a manager about why the rule can't be enforced and went out of the building.
Waiting for us outside was a group of people who wanted to thank and support us for saying something. That was very nice of them, but I wondered why the entire group left it to me to be the only one to stand up to these people. There are more rule-followers in WDW than rule-breakers and we need to stand up for our rights as admission paying guests.

Last November we were riding Soarin and some one repeatedly took pictures. The CMs came on the speaker no less than 4 ( yes 4) times to tell them to stop. It completely ruined the ride. That really hacked me off. Usually I blow it off ... no worries but this time I was aggravated.
icon8.gif

Phonedave

Are you actually suggesting that a person who confronts the selfish, flash-using, rule-breaking moron and calls them out for breaking the policy that Disney has instituted for the safety and well-being of all park guests is in the wrong?
I hope I misunderstood your post because, if that's what you meant, we need to talk!

While riding TGMR last August, we sat behind a family with a flash camera. The mom started taking pictures almost immediately. I simply said, "No flash photography, please". She paid no attention and kept going. I stated again, louder this time, and she kept going. Now, her daughter was turning around and giving us dirty looks. I said it again and realized that this woman was pretended not to understand me because she was speaking in another language. She must've known what I was saying, however, because she handed the camera to her husband. Was she thinking that I wouldn't say anything to a man? I then stated loudly and clearly and in Spanish that no flash photography was allowed. That did the trick. At the end of the ride, the family exited quickly. We spoke to a manager about why the rule can't be enforced and went out of the building.
Waiting for us outside was a group of people who wanted to thank and support us for saying something. That was very nice of them, but I wondered why the entire group left it to me to be the only one to stand up to these people. There are more rule-followers in WDW than rule-breakers and we need to stand up for our rights as admission paying guests.

I have done the same thing as well. Well, not in Spanish, my Spanish is not that good. My luck, I would try to say "No flash photography" and it would come out "Please take a picture of me while I flash you" - hmmmm, that may actualy work

Anyway, I agree 100%. Too often people think only of themselves and not the impact they have on others. I point this out to my kids all the time in the hope they will also think of others. People who do things like stand smack in the midde of the sidewalk to read the park map for example. It's just a matter of not caring about others. Is it really that much more effort to step to the side to get out of the way?

To the CM who said "be nice, it may be a trip they saved up for" How about the other people in the boat who are there on a trip THEY saved up for? If there are 40 people in a boat and one person is taking pictures, simple odds will tell you there is a greater chance that the photographer is ruining the ride for a person on a "special vacation" than the photographer being on a "special vacation" themselves.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom