What Things Today Would Walt Disney Have Never Done or Be Out RAGED ABOUT.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I picture Walt going ape over the rides not working properly or small details being overlooked. I see a bunch of VP's chewing their nails and smoking heavily and calling their wives on the phone telling them to start packing.

Last edited:

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Walt asks his VP's who decided to remove Cranium Command and not relocate it to make room for Soarin? WHO DID IT, WHO DID IT

Red Sox

I think he would hate the idea that the main form of transportation on property is buses. His concept of EPCOT was to innovate and improve things about city life like transportation among a host of other aspects and here in 2015 the idea of still relying on an antiquated mode of transportation that has been around since Walt's days is one I believe he would be thoroughly unimpressed with.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Cranium Command was across the park from Soarin, what possible connection would there have been? So no one did it!
at least, for that reason.

Maybe he meant replace the WoL pavilion with Soarin and re-locate Cranium Command somewhere else.. That being the only worthy attraction from the original WoL pavilion to be timeless enough to be re-located. At least that's what I think that person meant.

Goofyernmost

Maybe he meant replace the WoL pavilion with Soarin and re-locate Cranium Command somewhere else.. That being the only worthy attraction from the original WoL pavilion to be timeless enough to be re-located. At least that's what I think that person meant.
Could be, I guess, but, no matter the meaning is not very clear. I don't believe that there was room on that side of the park for a building like Soarin. That is a big CM area with administration for the parks behind WoL pavilion.

WondersOfLife

Could be, I guess, but, no matter the meaning is not very clear. I don't believe that there was room on that side of the park for a building like Soarin. That is a big CM area with administration for the parks behind WoL pavilion.

Definitely wouldn't have hurt to put it in Energy's place though.. XP

Goofyernmost

Definitely wouldn't have hurt to put it in Energy's place though.. XP
I guess, but, that would mean a tear down and a loss of another people eater that they can't afford to lose. After seeing "Inside Out" this past week, I got to thinking how the Energy building could be transformed into a ride through based on I/O. A ride through hitting on the emotions, memory storage (primary and secondary) separately culminating with a combination show of how they all work together. And it could be in the same building (UoE), minimum reconstruction other then a lot of new show scenes. It could combine screens (which already exist) with AA's and many other things that the old WoL pavilion would not have room for. Nor would imagination, but, even if it did have the room, it would have to stop being imagination and be called emotion. I don't see it working there.

I've never been sure what the big yank has always been about the location of Soarin anyway. It displaced a cheesy AA show about diet and food groups and that is all it did. It was an added attraction not a replacing one. It fits perfectly connected to the land because that is what we are soaring over, the land. No one will ever convince me that the loss of "Food Rocks" is traumatic in any stretch of the imagination. Cute... OK, but, otherwise less then a total crowd pleaser.

WondersOfLife

I guess, but, that would mean a tear down and a loss of another people eater that they can't afford to lose. After seeing "Inside Out" this past week, I got to thinking how the Energy building could be transformed into a ride through based on I/O. A ride through hitting on the emotions, memory storage (primary and secondary) separately culminating with a combination show of how they all work together. And it could be in the same building (UoE), minimum reconstruction other then a lot of new show scenes. It could combine screens (which already exist) with AA's and many other things that the old WoL pavilion would not have room for. Nor would imagination, but, even if it did have the room, it would have to stop being imagination and be called emotion. I don't see it working there.

I've never been sure what the big yank has always been about the location of Soarin anyway. It displaced a cheesy AA show about diet and food groups and that is all it did. It was an added attraction not a replacing one. It fits perfectly connected to the land because that is what we are soaring over, the land. No one will ever convince me that the loss of "Food Rocks" is traumatic in any stretch of the imagination. Cute... OK, but, otherwise less then a total crowd pleaser.

I agree, kind of. But Food Rocks to me is my childhood as Kitchen Kabaret was for others. My dad and I love the rock n' roll music so we found Food Rocks quite hilariously awesome! The only thing that made it cheesy was the style of animatronics used. I always thought that if the animatronics were really well made, like Kitchen Kabaret's, it would have been a very awesome show. :) I loved it, it's nostalgic to me. Same goes for Wonders of Life. WoL to me is like Horizons to most of y'all. I spent hours upon hours just inside WoL because nobody was in there and I had the whole place to myself!

As for Inside Out, I still particularly think that there is enough from the movie to be made into a pavilion with lots of multiple attractions, so I still believe that Inside Out would fit better in WoL. Energy should transform into a full-out dark ride like Great Movie Ride is, still using the theatre seats. After all, the screen rooms are big enough to do so. I personally think that if the studio theme is going to be taken out of HS, then Energy should transform into an animation attraction, similar to GMR but going into how the famous Disney animated movies are made. Having scenes from historical films like Snow White being the first full length animated film, or a scene from Toy Story being the first full length 3D animated film. Cast member interactions within the scenes and such as well.

I believe it would fit well in Epcot. The way I see it, at least. After all, there was originally supposed to be a movie-themed pavilion in Epcot anyways, until MGM Studios became a thing. But since the studio theme isn't going to be there anymore, and they're closing the animation show, I think it would be a good fit here.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster

did someone mention Food Rocks?

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I think he would hate the idea that the main form of transportation on property is buses. His concept of EPCOT was to innovate and improve things about city life like transportation among a host of other aspects and here in 2015 the idea of still relying on an antiquated mode of transportation that has been around since Walt's days is one I believe he would be thoroughly unimpressed with.

Yes, I don't understand why the monorail or other advanced form of transportation have not be added or expanded on. Even is the buses were converted to Hybrid tech. I liked seeing the SEGWAYS in Epcot but I haven't seen them lately Walt would have wanted to be on top of this. They have done the solar farm deal with the local energy provider, 48,000 panels to be installed on propety, I think Walt woul dhave liked that.

Last edited:

tonganprince

Yes, I don't understand why the monorail or other advanced form of transportation have not be added or expanded on. Even is the buses were converted to Hybrid tech. I liked seeing the SEGWAYS in Epcot but I haven't seen them lately Walty would have wanted to be on top of this. They have done the solar farm deal with the local energy provider, 48,000 panels to be installed on propety.

Money. Monorail price per mile is very expensive. WDW is just too big.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Money. Monorail price per mile is very expensive. WDW is just too big.

I'm sure they crunched the numbers , but I wonder when the ROI is not having to buy,maintain and fuel buses along with driver costs how mch of a difference would there be for a one time outlay of cash? However I don't want to put people out of work so maybe its best to leave it alone. And of course you are moving far more people in one shot than a bus can.

KaliSplash

I believe others have rained on the premise of this thread, but to add my 2 cents. Virtually no one on these boards knew Walt. Walt NEVER saw Walt Disney World. Walt was often reined in by his brother. The reality is, Walt Disney World was, is and must be a business. It must make money. The ways to do that have changed since Walt WAS involved in the planning process back in the 1960s. People smarter than me have made the decisions that have been made over the past 50 years. I don't like all of them. Walt envisioned EPCOT not as a theme park, but a community. But I think the one serious attempt to create that, Celebration, proved that as much as people like Disney, they are not all enamoured of living in such a "perfect" setting with the rules provided by the Mouse. There have been many decisions I desagree with, and particularly since late in the Michael Eisner era. But when you look at all the marvelous, magical things that Walt Disney World STILL IS today, you have to like what you see. Do I miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Horizons, World of Motion, SuperStar TV, individual resort and park merchandise, 1995 prices, and dozens if not hundreds of other things, yes, I do. Sometimes when I do my 5-mile walk almost every day, I make a list of all the changes I would like to make, if funds were unlimited. Most of those are restoring things that have been lost. Or adding things that were forecast and never materalized. (World Showcase countries and attractions), but the reality is, today's keepers of the flame have to make money. And it IS cheaper to have Disney Parks instead of Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney Studios and Animal Kingdom specific items. And that helps the bottom line, and that IS what it is all about, regardless of how much we wish otherwise.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
its all about the skill of balance, WDW is a special place with a special history. Yes profits must be made but at what cost. If you serve only the stock holders who are mostly fickle investors you will lose in the end. Stockholders are like locusts they strip all thats good and then move on to another ripe territory.
The fans make the parks run not the stockholders. Please the fans first and the stockholders will fall in line like ducks on a pond.
Disney must and always be unique and different. I can go to many amusements parks across this country but I chose Disney for a reason. Let the bean counters never forget the reason we go. Serve the fan first they pay the bills and keep the spirit alive.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
EPCOT has drifted too far from Walts orgininal idea, so all that can be done is to add attractions that are futuristic and tech advanced. It still works if you do that.
I do love the world showcase area.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
If Walt were alive today, I think the thing that would have him the angriest would be that they've let the Yeti go a decade without being repaired. I think he'd be embarrassed.

its what annoys me most, things that break and do not get fixed quickly. Can anyone shed light of the maintenance aspect of the parks. Are there less mechanics? Who's responsibility is it to check daily to see if all attractions are operating fully? How is that done who reports the problems, how do they know the Yeti for instance is not working?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom