What should they do with Animation Courtyard?

MagicHappens1971

The analysts did say Disney could trade Hulu to Comcast for the Florida theme park rights, along with the film rights to Hulk and Namor.
Would you mind providing a source for this? There’s no way Disney thinks the Marvel theme park rights + Hulk & Namor are worth ~$20 billion dollars. I also can’t fathom any sensible business analyst would even recommend this.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Would you mind providing a source for this? There’s no way Disney thinks the Marvel theme park rights + Hulk & Namor are worth ~$20 billion dollars. I also can’t fathom any sensible business analyst would even recommend this.
Right here, bossy boy (spits in frustration over you):

MagicHappens1971

Right here, bossy boy (spits in frustration over you):
“A Wall Street analyst floated the possibility Thursday that Disney may aim to secure the rights to two Marvel characters held by Comcast — Hulk and Namor — as part of a sale of its 67% stake in Hulu.”
They didn’t even say that explicitly. Hulu is valued between $19-$24B. Disneys not going to trade Hulu for Namor, Hulu and the MCU theme park rights. That article doesn’t even mention the theme park rights.

I’m not being “bossy”, you keep floating nonsensical ideas with no basis. For example the idea that Disneys going to sell off its Fox assets. Disney may further simplify and combine divisions and departments, but they’re not gonna sell of Fox.

MKeeler

Hear me out - when a certain contract expires at Universal, this would be a perfect area for The Simpsons if Disney so desired. Take in the whole courtyard, all the way up and including Rock N Roller Coaster and the Cars show.

Build a street leading straight from the arches to Rock N Roller Coaster. That ride becomes the Nuclear Power Plant where you have to drive Homer’s car out of a restricted area. Krusty Studio enhanced meet and greet in Cars Academy area. Plenty of space for a Lard Lad, Kwik-ee Mart, and Moe’s Tavern. Make a Professor Fink ride like Villa Volta. Maybe dust off the old Toontown Trolley plans for an Otto School Bus ride.

It would be a natural for the Studios and a great way to integrate Fox.

J4546

Hear me out - when a certain contract expires at Universal, this would be a perfect area for The Simpsons if Disney so desired. Take in the whole courtyard, all the way up and including Rock N Roller Coaster and the Cars show.

Build a street leading straight from the arches to Rock N Roller Coaster. That ride becomes the Nuclear Power Plant where you have to drive Homer’s car out of a restricted area. Krusty Studio enhanced meet and greet in Cars Academy area. Plenty of space for a Lard Lad, Kwik-ee Mart, and Moe’s Tavern. Make a Professor Fink ride like Villa Volta. Maybe dust off the old Toontown Trolley plans for an Otto School Bus ride.

It would be a natural for the Studios and a great way to integrate Fox.
No. But I appreciate the idea.

SpectreJordan

Ehh.. well for one I don't think Marvel is the only IP that could support its own land at Hollywood Studios. I think there are other options as well. Like Frozen or Indiana Jones for example. On the other hand, I do think a Marvel land would flesh the park out. There are two obstacles I see to that though; for one, I don't Universal is gonna sell the right any time soon. So for the next 10 years I think a Marvel land at DHS is pretty implausible. And on the other hand, if they did do a Marvel land I'd want it to be good, which means including the Marvel characters people actually want to see. I don't just want it to be some crappy left overs at the bottom of the barrel, the characters Universal didn't bother even putting in so much as a picture. I'd rather them just wait until they have the right to use all the characters. Which will likely not be for a while.
The Universal situation is weird. That land is becoming increasingly outdated, especially when you compare it to what Universal's doing with Potter, Jurassic Park & probably everything at Epic Universe. So I can see them wanting to replace the Marvel land with something they could make new & fancy, especially now that Nintendo has turned into a cashcow for them.

But I get why they'd want to hold out & keep the rights out of Disney's hands too. WDW getting Marvel would potentially huge for them.
I don't see how anyone who is a fan of either theme parks or of Marvel can look at Super Hero Island and Avengers Campus and hope Disney gets more control over the IP. The best case scenario is that Universal's ownership of the the theme park rights is somehow strengthened and they add a new Marvel ride in the Toon Theatre area.

As for Animation Courtyard, I love the idea of turning the space into a (Disney IP only) Maroon Studios, with a Roger Rabbit coaster and a dark ride through the studio populated by Disney characters both mainstream and obscure - but that is, of course, a pipe dream.
I'm not happy with either tbh. IOA's land has some great rides (Spidey in particular), but the theming is so tacky (that god awful '00s rock soundtrack, those stupid character billboards everywhere) & the costumes for the character are so cheap.

Meanwhile, Avengers Campus has slightly better theming (INCREDIBLY boring though, just a bunch of grey buildings), the shows seem fun & the characters look great. But their Spidey ride looks awful, probably the worst looking ride Disney's done since Little Mermaid.

Both companies have done great rides with the IP (Spidey & Hulk for Universal, the two Guardians rides for Disney). But they've both failed on the theming part.

BlakeW39

The Universal situation is weird. That land is becoming increasingly outdated, especially when you compare it to what Universal's doing with Potter, Jurassic Park & probably everything at Epic Universe. So I can see them wanting to replace the Marvel land with something they could make new & fancy, especially now that Nintendo has turned into a cashcow for them.

But I get why they'd want to hold out & keep the rights out of Disney's hands too. WDW getting Marvel would potentially huge for them.

I'm not happy with either tbh. IOA's land has some great rides (Spidey in particular), but the theming is so tacky (that god awful '00s rock soundtrack, those stupid character billboards everywhere) & the costumes for the character are so cheap.

Meanwhile, Avengers Campus has slightly better theming (INCREDIBLY boring though, just a bunch of grey buildings), the shows seem fun & the characters look great. But their Spidey ride looks awful, probably the worst looking ride Disney's done since Little Mermaid.

Both companies have done great rides with the IP (Spidey & Hulk for Universal, the two Guardians rides for Disney). But they've both failed on the theming part.

God awful rock soundtrack?!?! The soundtrack in Marvel's Superhero Island is amazing! It captures the edge of Marvel Comics so well, instead of pretending like it's DC with those boring instrumentals. And worse theming than Avengers Campus?? 😭

Honestly, while I admit there are elements of Marvel Superhero Island that are clearly low budget, including the costumes, I enjoy the premise— it's literally suppose to simulate walking into a comic book. But the execution ranges in quality, sure. That said, I prefer it to a grounded Marvel Studios take on the land. How does one make a realistic Marvel land interesting? The majority of Marvel stories are set in New York, and a generic city environment isn't one that feels particularly compelling to become immersed in, even if one of the buildings has an 'A' on it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A few thoughts...
This would be a PRIME spot for Marvel based attractions, including the Play and Dance building. Imagine walking through the archway into Marvel Studios Land. But, as we all know, there's that pesky theme park contract with Marvel and Universal. Now, next year, Disney and Comcast need to figure out what to do with Hulu. Could Disney find a way to get back some/all of those rights during these negotiations? Maybe?
There is no reason…statistically zero…for Disney to want park rights for marvel in Florida

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom