What should NOT have been replaced?

Sbk1234

Horizons, World of Motion, Horizons, Great Movie Ride, Horizons, Journey Into Imagination, Horizons, Cranium Command, Horizons, The Making of Me, Horizons, Body Wars, Horizons, El Rio Del Tiempo, Horizons, Dreamflight, Horizons, Animation Studio, Horizons, Maelstrom, Horizons.

Mesa Azul

For a long time I mourned the loss of Horizons, but today I really don't want to see it back. As amazing as and as influential as it was, I really don't want to see it revived today. I almost relish that it was torn down and not updated like UofE before its demise, the Living Seas, or Journey into Imagination. I know if it was still around it wouldn't be the same attraction, and would probably be themed with Pixar characters that would break my heart.

I don't want Horizons back, but I long for a ride that inspires the next generation the way Horizons inspired me. That's what I want instead of the re-hashed Horizons we never saw. I want a new attraction that lights up the curiosity of the next generation and inspires them to dream it and to do it.

Last edited:
The only notable extinct attraction I’ve been around to experience in any meaningful capacity is The Great Movie Ride (I was born in 2000) and I was devastated when it closed. I truly think it could’ve been updated and continued to entertain future generations. MMRR, while a fun ride that I do enjoy, just doesn’t make me feel the same way GMR did. I think there was a way for both to coexist, but that was obviously something Disney didn’t want to consider

TwilightZone

I feel like hindsight is 20/20. Years have gone past since I posted here and now I have a small list, nothing too notable and there's a few rides/attractions being mentioned here I disagree with. Mostly Horizons, which I feel wouldn't work at least as a ride, but maybe as a show or something similar that could have been easily updated. Energy, which was always just a slog and Alien Encounter, love it but too scary for the magic kingdom, maybe it should have just been moved instead of replaced. But for the most part my opinions align with most of you guys.

The list:
  • Imagination: As said many years ago, I have no idea why they didn't just renovate the attraction given the financial state of both Disney and kodak during the time. Easy fix until proper budget came along to redo the attraction right
  • Great Movie Ride: I was never too big of a fan of the ride, but I still believe they should have made it the "great Disney ride" or something along those lines. Have scenes based on Snow White, Mary Poppins, Toy Story, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. Runaway Railway is great, but it's not a great headliner (though it is better than Tough to be a bug at least).
  • Soarin' Over California: Why so much cgi in the world version? Just a mistake. Redo it and make it right before replacing.
  • Snow white: Mine train is a good tradeoff for "Snow White attraction" but the space being used for meet n greets hurts.
  • Test track 1.0: the new theme just lacks all the charm of the original (though certainly debatable if the original had any to begin with...but I sure thought it did). It needed an update but what we got ended up feeling soulless. And with Radiator Springs Racers, a clone with much better theming, it just looks extra poor in comparison. They should have replaced it with a new version of world of motion, keep the test track ride system to make it the Epcot equivalent of the much popular radiator springs racers.
  • Tiki Room: Well it was brought back but New Management boggles my mind forever.

TwilightZone

I feel like hindsight is 20/20. Years have gone past since I posted here and now I have a small list, nothing too notable and there's a few rides/attractions being mentioned here I disagree with. Mostly Horizons, which I feel wouldn't work at least as a ride, but maybe as a show or something similar that could have been easily updated. Energy, which was always just a slog and Alien Encounter, love it but too scary for the magic kingdom, maybe it should have just been moved instead of replaced. But for the most part my opinions align with most of you guys.

The list:
  • Imagination: As said many years ago, I have no idea why they didn't just renovate the attraction given the financial state of both Disney and kodak during the time. Easy fix until proper budget came along to redo the attraction right
  • Great Movie Ride: I was never too big of a fan of the ride, but I still believe they should have made it the "great Disney ride" or something along those lines. Have scenes based on Snow White, Mary Poppins, Toy Story, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. Runaway Railway is great, but it's not a great headliner (though it is better than Tough to be a bug at least).
  • Soarin' Over California: Why so much cgi in the world version? Just a mistake. Redo it and make it right before replacing.
  • Snow white: Mine train is a good tradeoff for "Snow White attraction" but the space being used for meet n greets hurts.
  • Test track 1.0: the new theme just lacks all the charm of the original (though certainly debatable if the original had any to begin with...but I sure thought it did). It needed an update but what we got ended up feeling soulless. And with Radiator Springs Racers, a clone with much better theming, it just looks extra poor in comparison. They should have replaced it with a new version of world of motion, keep the test track ride system to make it the Epcot equivalent of the much popular radiator springs racers.
  • Tiki Room: Well it was brought back but New Management boggles my mind forever.
Ah I forgot, Spectromagic. I wasn't too big of a fan of it, since the parade was a bit too long for my liking, but it's a shame it got replaced by nothing. And I don't think it will be truly replaced ever.

Mesa Azul

I feel like I'm in a minority here, since so many people echo that sentiment, but I never got the idea that Horizons was outdated. Especially since we're nowhere even near the future scenes in the attraction. Sure, space colonies now feel like a direction we wouldn't go, and probably updating Bravia to a Moon or Mars settlement would have been a bit more in line with current technology, but as for Mesa Verde and Sea Castle, both of those ideas still seem feasible if still far-out-tech. It's not like we're anywhere closer to underwater permanent commercial habitats or vast terraforming of the desert (though, current environmental concerns might make that last one problematic).

Still, with a little retooling I could see all the scenes from Horizons future still being relevant today and far-flung, and the past scenes could easily be updated to accommodate the last twenty to thirty years and the explosion of communication and personal technology.

I guess I just see a future where we're working together to do the things Horizons promised still pretty current, and... I mean... I'm an Engineer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. I've done hands on work with the systems that control our space missions, and planetary rovers. That ride definitely inspired the heck out of me, and I still dream it. Horizons really isn't too far off from a lot of the robotics and systems we work on at the lab, and I think a lot of the tech Horizons showcased was pretty spot on where we are today and where we could go if we keep dreaming.

I don't disagree that it needed work, or that it would fly as is, but I also think both as a nostalgic trip and a real statement to our constant drive to do bigger, better, more amazing things... Something like Horizons is sorely missed. Like I said before, I don't necessarily want the ride back, either, but I sure as heck would love something that was inspiring and hit on similar notes to help inspire the next generation.

OldSchoolCassie

- The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter
- Horizons
- Dreamflight
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
You are SO right, especially on Mr. Toad and Dreamflight!!!!!! As my name suggests, I am old school (not necessarily ancient) , and some of my sweetest memories are of taking my son on those 2 attractions. (he's almost 36 now, but has remained a Disney nut! Just like his Mama!!) Yes, Walt Disney was all for progress. That's how EPCOT was born. HOWEVER, when is enough, ENOUGH???? Walt is rolling in his grave after what they've done to the Castle at WDW. If I want to see Sleeping Beauty's castle, I'll go to Anaheim. Shameful. The CONSTANT and persistent "forward motion" all in the name of progress, and of course LOTS more revenue (someone has to pay for the Sky Liner etc. Have you seen what they now charge for the Pop Century?? It's only when not if that the time will come where your average lower-middle class families will no longer be able to get the chance to share with their children the incredible joys I got to share with mine. And staying on property? Forget it. :( I expect a lot of flack and accusations of taking my thought overboard, but as I was typing this, a line from one of my favorite movies, Jurassic Park, hit me like a hammer. It might not describe exactly the current state of things (after all, Dr. Ian Malcolm was rather dramatic, lol) but the subtle similarity between the following line and my thoughts on this subject was not lost on me. "MY Disney World" Forever!! Talking about progress........"What is so great about discovery? It is a violent, penetrative act that SCARS what it EXPLORES. What you call discovery, I call the rape of the natural world." You could replace "natural" with "normal".

EmFromPlanetEarth

You are SO right, especially on Mr. Toad and Dreamflight!!!!!! As my name suggests, I am old school (not necessarily ancient) , and some of my sweetest memories are of taking my son on those 2 attractions. (he's almost 36 now, but has remained a Disney nut! Just like his Mama!!) Yes, Walt Disney was all for progress. That's how EPCOT was born. HOWEVER, when is enough, ENOUGH???? Walt is rolling in his grave after what they've done to the Castle at WDW. If I want to see Sleeping Beauty's castle, I'll go to Anaheim. Shameful. The CONSTANT and persistent "forward motion" all in the name of progress, and of course LOTS more revenue (someone has to pay for the Sky Liner etc. Have you seen what they now charge for the Pop Century?? It's only when not if that the time will come where your average lower-middle class families will no longer be able to get the chance to share with their children the incredible joys I got to share with mine. And staying on property? Forget it. :( I expect a lot of flack and accusations of taking my thought overboard, but as I was typing this, a line from one of my favorite movies, Jurassic Park, hit me like a hammer. It might not describe exactly the current state of things (after all, Dr. Ian Malcolm was rather dramatic, lol) but the subtle similarity between the following line and my thoughts on this subject was not lost on me. "MY Disney World" Forever!! Talking about progress........"What is so great about discovery? It is a violent, penetrative act that SCARS what it EXPLORES. What you call discovery, I call the rape of the natural world." You could replace "natural" with "normal".
I disagree with dreamfligjt, it doesn’t fit tomorrow land

EmFromPlanetEarth

That’s a bit extreme, no need to express your opinions like that to that extreme

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
Ok Karen, let’s see how your singing when I do the same. The first amendment isn’t an excuse to push your agenda onto others.
I speak from experience. (You see why they banned me from the forum the first time?)

Anyway, Alien Encounter, Body Wars, to a degree World of Motion ('cus Gary Owens was in it. Ya know, Space Ghost?!?!), Snow White's Scary Adventures (really, that was the lamest closure ever), Universe of Energy, Journey Into Imagination, The Great Movie Ride, The Timekeeper, Innoventions, possibly many more. Seems like if there's robots in it (characters who are MEANT to be robots, mind you), they close it later on.

Dear Prudence

The Peoplemover at Disneyland. Now it's just an unused piece of track.
They could honestly just decorate it or something, seriously.

Although I sort of understand WHY it's not there anymore. I had to be evacuated from it as a kid, and it was honestly a terrible experience in retrospect, even if as a kid it was fun at the time.

tagoofy

Have to add, although not an attraction, Adventures Club. There was absolutely NO reason to remove it. It could have easily still fit in with the new Disney Springs and was still very popular.

And if I want to REALLY date myself... the mule ride at DL. (I know, LOTS of reasons to have replaced this, but I can still be nostalgic).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom