What Should Disney do About Vaping?

s8film40

Either way, I think approaching each situation politely and treating them uniquely would do far more good than trying to force people who are trying to avoid smokers/smoking themselves into little areas designated for smokers.
Yeah, I'm fine with people who at least try to get out of the way. I think it's one of those things where a few people who have no regard for others around them have ruined it for everyone else. They need to force certain people to use smoking areas but not everyone needs to be forced to do the right thing.

rucifee

Yeah, I'm fine with people who at least try to get out of the way. I think it's one of those things where a few people who have no regard for others around them have ruined it for everyone else. They need to force certain people to use smoking areas but not everyone needs to be forced to do the right thing.

That's fair.

NormC

Why do people always feel the need to be in everyone else's business. I don't vape but if people do it doesn't bother me. If people want to vape, let them vape. If you don't, don't. If it bothers you, don't walk so close to the people who are doing it. They aren't hurting anyone.
Exactly. If you want to smoke, real or electronic, do it in the designated area. Simple solution and that is what Disney has decided.

RScottyL

Have you seen some of these things? I watched a guy take a draw off of one the other day and he blew out a puff of toxins that rivaled a nuclear bomb cloud. It was huge and you couldn't even see through it. The early e-cigarettes would only put out a small amount of vapor, but not some of these new ones.

It is not because of the "newer ones", it is because people are modding them to see who can get the biggest cloud!

I am not a smoker, but in my opinion, I am okay with people vaping!

It is "healthier" for them than actually cigarettes, as there are only 4 ingredients in the liquid: Polypropylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerin, nicotine, and flavor!

I would rather smell the vape than smell normal smoke any day!

Obviously, there is a time and a place, as you don't want someone vaping away in COP while you are trying to watch the show!

RScottyL

Here's how my family and I see it:
1) If there is "nothing", good or bad, in the liquid that is giving you a buzz or whatever, then why vape to begin with.

As I mentioned earlier, nicotine is the addicting part of cigarettes, and vaping has nicotine in it! For some people, vaping is a gateway to quitting, as you can vary your nicotine levels in the fluid and "ween" yourself off of it!

G00fyDad

It is not because of the "newer ones", it is because people are modding them to see who can get the biggest cloud!

I am not a smoker, but in my opinion, I am okay with people vaping!

It is "healthier" for them than actually cigarettes, as there are only 4 ingredients in the liquid: Polypropylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerin, nicotine, and flavor!

I would rather smell the vape than smell normal smoke any day!

Obviously, there is a time and a place, as you don't want someone vaping away in COP while you are trying to watch the show!

Buy your own statement they are modding the things. So can you tell me with all certainty that that's all that's in those things? No. You can't.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I have made my own liquid, and used exactly those 4 ingredients!
Don't bother... no one wants to believe it. It is classified as the same disgusting habit as smoking and no amount of effort will change that. It never ceases to amaze me how able we are, as a species, to focus on things while ignoring other, much more serious, things. Like auto exhaust. Why? Because they want to go places so, that is OK. Bring on the exhaust, it won't hurt you, but, if I can see a "cloud", even if it's just water, that can't be good.

Still not as bad as those that so loudly call for smoking to be banned everywhere. It's not hard to tell the people that luckily were never addicted to nicotine. Otherwise, they might have a little understanding about how difficult it is to just stop. It can be done, but, so can running a 3 minute mile. That doesn't mean that everyone can do that just because someone thinks that they should.

s8film40

Don't bother... no one wants to believe it. It is classified as the same disgusting habit as smoking and no amount of effort will change that. It never ceases to amaze me how able we are, as a species, to focus on things while ignoring other, much more serious, things. Like auto exhaust. Why? Because they want to go places so, that is OK. Bring on the exhaust, it won't hurt you, but, if I can see a "cloud", even if it's just water, that can't be good.

Still not as bad as those that so loudly call for smoking to be banned everywhere. It's not hard to tell the people that luckily were never addicted to nicotine. Otherwise, they might have a little understanding about how difficult it is to just stop. It can be done, but, so can running a 3 minute mile. That doesn't mean that everyone can do that just because someone thinks that they should.
If someone drives their car down the sidewalk spewing the exhaust in everyone's faces I would agree that that is very rude also. Like I said before I have complete respect for someone who steps out of the flow of traffic to enjoy their cigarette or vapor device.

This idea that it's "just water vapor" is completely ridiculous. If that's all it is then what's the point? You could just breath in Floridas humid air and get the exact same affect.

Goofyernmost

If someone drives their car down the sidewalk spewing the exhaust in everyone's faces I would agree that that is very rude also. Like I said before I have complete respect for someone who steps out of the flow of traffic to enjoy their cigarette or vapor device.

This idea that it's "just water vapor" is completely ridiculous. If that's all it is then what's the point? You could just breath in Floridas humid air and get the exact same affect.
When someone doesn't understand the effect of the addiction and the need to substitute then there is no reason to make anymore effort to explain it. You don't understand and you probably never will understand. Oh, and btw, they may not drive down a sidewalk, but three feet away isn't a big safety factor is it? It's a much, much, much bigger risk to you then that vapor and it's the vapor we are talking about, not cigarette smoke. That is a different topic.

The question was what should Disney do about it. The answer is they have already done it, they have relegated vaporing to designated areas. Like with everything else, some will say that they can do whatever they like, wherever they like. Just like they did with cigarettes in much larger numbers as little as twenty years ago.

s8film40

When someone doesn't understand the effect of the addiction and the need to substitute then there is no reason to make anymore effort to explain it. You don't understand and you probably never will understand. Oh, and btw, they may not drive down a sidewalk, but three feet away isn't a big safety factor is it? It's a much, much, much bigger risk to you then that vapor and it's the vapor we are talking about, not cigarette smoke. That is a different topic.

The question was what should Disney do about it. The answer is they have already done it, they have relegated vaporing to designated areas. Like with everything else, some will say that they can do whatever they like, wherever they like. Just like they did with cigarettes in much larger numbers as little as twenty years ago.
Well I'm not so sure we totally disagree. I don't think they should ban either completely from the parks. The designated areas are perfectly reasonable and for me peronally I'm okay with it even if they don't use a designated area but just move out of the bulk of the traffic. I do have a problem with the people who just walk through the park smoking and or using the vape devices, I can't see an addiction requiring that and I've known people who could handle making their way over to a designated area.

Maerj

It should only be in the smoking areas. If they can't do that, then ban them. I don't want clouds of that stuff on rides and attractions. There was a couple in line for my first screening of The Force Awakens and they were doing it in the building. People were getting really annoyed and the smokers didn't seem to care.

Goofyernmost

Well I'm not so sure we totally disagree. I don't think they should ban either completely from the parks. The designated areas are perfectly reasonable and for me peronally I'm okay with it even if they don't use a designated area but just move out of the bulk of the traffic. I do have a problem with the people who just walk through the park smoking and or using the vape devices, I can't see an addiction requiring that and I've known people who could handle making their way over to a designated area.
I agree, the, in the public, factor is not covered by the addiction, that is caused by anti-social behavior. With a mix of people that are a daily part of the Disney Parks, regardless of where they are, is something that is almost impossible to police without having some traumatic results for family. That doesn't mean they shouldn't enforce their own rules, but, it is always a reactionary result and not a pro-active one. They can stop it when it happens, but, not until after it happens. It's very tough to get past the militancy of many people out there, especially if their addictions are particularly strong.

Having been a smoker, I found that of all the places that I have visited in my life, Disney makes it harder to find those areas, makes it less comfortable and ultimately creates more of a problem by making accessibility more difficult or worthwhile. An effort to make the anti-smokers happy is, many times, creating a worse situation. Tough to balance though!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom