What park to hit first for daughter's first time to WDW?

Mickey is King

Hi I'm a long time reader but first time poster. I'm taking my daughter to Disney for her first time (she will be 6). My wife and I went to Disney last year with myself thinking that she would be too young to enjoy much of it with the rides.

Well needless to say I was wrong and felt horrible after. So I made her a promise I would take her this year. My wife is doing the daughter/mommy thing with the Disney princess for a day.

So I was wondering what should be the first park to take her if MK is out since we want her to have that all in one day.

Also I was wondering if there was anything that's great for a daughter/daddy thing to do? Any help would be great thanks. Plus we plan on going in November so we're already planning on buying 3 passes for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas.

MAGIC KINGDOM BABY!!!!!!!!!!- DEFINITELY DO THE X-MAS PARTY TOO.

Then maybe DHS- always fun for the kids
As far as Dad goes, just being there with the family and interacting is almost enough, I see so many families there without Dad for various reasons, make the time Dad's, I PROMISE, you won't regret it, WDW isn't just for kids, I can say from personal experience that my daughter and I may not have as close of a relationship if it were not for disney world, say what you will- but when they grow up they will remember................

Eyorefan

I agree with everyone here, take her to see MK first. Its so magical to see their faces light up when they see the castle for the first time.

That said, my daughter's (age 11) favorite park is Epcot. So that is always the first thing we do. For her, riding Spaceship Earth is the best way to start a Disney vacation. And no, I have no idea how or why that happened. MK was my favoriate park growing up and to me the castle still says Disney more than the giant ball.

WDWNeighbor

Daddy-Daughter Ideas

You could take her to play miniature golf at one of the Disney courses (both are great!) or depending on her height, you could take her on a pony ride or horseback riding at Fort Wilderness. Hope this helps :)

Fantasmic

Originally Posted by mike10
So I was wondering what should be the first park to take her if MK is out since we want her to have that all in one day.

Testtrack said:
People need to read better! :lol:

He did say IF Magic Kingdom is out.... important 2 letters I and F.

So erm, people need to read better? I think not.

crashnuke

First off you need to buy her one of those criket bats/paddle and have her whale on you @ every park for not taking her the first time. next you need to promise her to take her to Disneyworld at least once every year until she is 18 years old.

Take her to the Magic Kingdom right way.:)

MEyeSeeKayEY

Although I agree that the best way to start any Disney vacation is at the Magic Kingdom, it may not be the best way for a 6 year old. Before you judge, let me explain...
If you take her to the Magic Kingdom first, all of the other parks are going to be sort of a let down to her.
I sugguest taking her to Epcot first and let her do all of the fun, interactive things there. Next, take her to Animal Kingdom because most kids love animals. Next, take her to Hollywood Studios - they have some Cars stuff there. Save the best for last, the Magic Kingdom!
Just an idea. You don't want to hear, "Daddy, can we go back to the Magic Kingdom" all week... Do whatever you want though. It's Disney, you can't really go wrong! Good luck!

sublimesting

Don't worry about doing MK all in one day, you probably won't be able to with a 6 year old anyways. We always make a point to hit MK our first evening we arrive, even if we don't get there until 6. How long is your trip? Also, what is this "all day princess" thing?

mike10

Original Poster
Thanks for all your input guys as for what is the all day princess. It's the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at Cinderella's Castle where they dress your DD up into a princess of their choice.

It hard choice since I understand some where the letdown could be huge after MK but also seeing MK is what makes Disney. I mean my DD talks about Disney all the time and she brings up the Castle every time too.

Also as for the comment about the cricket bat lol my DD lets me know about it all the time and if I got her one I worry how bruised I would be after lol.

UberPlannerMom

I have never taken one, but I understand the sleigh rides at fort wilderness are wonderful. As a former little girl I can definitely say that just snuggling in to my daddy and enjoying a ride through some disney magic would have been great. Or maybe a late dinner at 1900 Park faire, just the two of you... In case you can't tell, I believe in parent/child "dates", that is to say, time where you do something that isn't just being together but focuses on being together. Ya' know? If you are insistent upon taking her to a park at after 8 pm, then it has to be the magic kingdom. The castle will be all lit up by then, and will be utterly breathtaking. If you do it, just stick to fantasyland. That way when you take her back for her first full day she will still be super surprised at all that there is to do!:wave:

Testtrack321

He did say IF Magic Kingdom is out.... important 2 letters I and F.

So erm, people need to read better? I think not.

Maybe it's just me, but I use if that way when I know it's going to be out. Like...

"If we can't go to xxxx where do you want to go?" I know that person doesn't want to go to xxx, so I'm asking where else. Could just be my midwest speaking patterns though.

LoriMistress

I have never taken one, but I understand the sleigh rides at fort wilderness are wonderful.
DH and I did this once at WL and it was wonderful. The theming was perfect. We did it at night, when the evening was chilly. It was romantic, but also very calming. It reminded us of South Lake Tahoe. We had John & Jon (they appeared on the Samantha Brown Christmas WDW Special). I'm sure you and your family would enjoy this a lot.

I could not agree more!! MK is the way to go! I'll never forget the 1st time my DD (3 at the time) saw the castle for the first time from the crowded monorail..."Mommy, Daddy look..it's the castle. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." I cried...even a family we didn't know teared up in monorail car.
You can always compromise and visit the other parks for part of the day and return to the MK or start there, you know visit it every day. Park Hoppers make it sooo possible. You know with little ones its nice to take a break mid to late afternoon,,a nap...a swim and then a change in venue!!

Have a great time..treasure every moment!!

FGITGirl

You're getting there after 8 pm so does that mean you're not going to go anywhere that day? If you're not utterly exhausted and you still have time, go to the magic kingdom that night. The first Very Merry Christmas party is on Nov 8 so all the lights should be up and on the castle. Seeing the castle for the first time is a moving experience but seeing it all lit up for the holidays is beyond words. I cry at the first castle lighting ceremony every year. If not, make sure that you're there for the castle lighting ceremony which is usually set at 6:30 but can vary due to sunset.

As for daddy/daughter things, there are TONS of things you can do. Go to the barber shop and get a cool dude and dudette done on your hair and let her pick the colors they paint your hair (make sure you do it at least a day before her princess day because that stuff can be tough to wash out). Take her to meet all of your favorite characters and tell her stories about growing up and the first stuffed animal you got, etc. If you're more tech savvy, go to epcot and do the photo editing to send an email of you guys doing silly faces with different animals, etc and mail it to family. Wear your bathing suits and run around the fountains at epcot, animal kingdom or downtown disney.

Mostly.... Be a kid. The best families I have seen while working at MK are the ones where the parents stop saying "Honey, don't do that!" and remember what it's like to want to do it. Skip, wear stupid hats, go ga-ga over seeing Mickey, scream on roller coasters, dance to the traveling bands, and never, EVER forget that it's all magic that makes it happen and help her to believe it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom