What makes SGE so horrible?

jared400

i dont think sge is that bad but i dont like the fact that it replaced ae if they had to put it there couldnt they just leave ae there and have sge for kids and ae for adults??? like the orange and green section af mission space

Victor

Also, in defense of AE, I'd like to add that while it was dark in tone, it also had a great sense of humor. Not to mention all the talent that was attatched: George Lucas, Phil Hartman (albeit briefly), Kevin Pollack, Jeffrey Jones (even though he's a pedophile), Kathy Najimay, Tim Curry, and Tyra Banks (well, not much of a talent, but a looker for sure). With the exception of Cranium Command and Ellen's Energy Adventure, it is one of the only attractions in WDW to have made good use of it's celebrity actors.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
i dont think sge is that bad but i dont like the fact that it replaced ae if they had to put it there couldnt they just leave ae there and have sge for kids and ae for adults???

Yeah, well hindsight is always 20/20.

I think the Imagineers had no way of knowing about the Stitch backlash that some people feel!

frankd1962

Ok, my two cents.

I did AE in 200 and thought it was great as a scare show. A bit much for any little kids. As someone who worked haunted house and knew how some tricks are done, I still jumped at certain parts.

I've yet to experience SGE live but I've seen a video of the show and it looks to be fun. I like Stitch in the three movies and tv show. In fact, I loved the little ads where he invaded the other movies. So I think I'll love it myself.

jeffcot

I'm not sure if you're trying to say Stitch isn't that horrible or not but...

Yesterday it was pretty busy at MK. Buzz I think had been down (but was back up) and had a 30+min queue with its FP backed well into the plaza (and out over near the Laugh Floor. TTA was even forming a queue and because the line at the load was getting a bit slowed down in the switchbacks there was a risk of the speedramp having to be shutdown (thankfully they cleared that up and got people to step more quickly).

But, from the TTA i got to see that Stitch with its FP running had absolutely no line and no one was getting FP for it (the FPs were out at their standard distribution window gap).

So.. it's not exactly doing well.

(Edit to add) To clarify, Buzz standby was out the door in extend queue but the sign said 30. FP for it was well out the door and doubling back on itself (suggesting it had recently gone down). TTA was forming a line. Stitch had no queue, but a few people in the waiting area.

A power surge just prior to opening caused problems all over the park that impacted wait times. Buzz was down for 45 minutes and that caused a snowball effect on its wait time the rest of the day.

True, Stitch's wait times are shorter, but it's a higher capacity attraction and moves guests through quicker. That said, when I was there yesterday Stitch had a standby time of 20 minutes. Just because Buzz is hugely popular, doesn't diminish people's clear enjoyment of SGE.

ballewclan

(Personal Story: The only time I ever rode AE was when I was 7 years old. I seriously wanted to be a big boy and tackle the big rides since i had just ridden my first roller coaster Space Mountain. So we waited in line and I'm freaking out and all the parents are saying that I shouldnt have gone on it. We finally got in, and rode it. I screamed so loud my lungs nearly gave out. We got off and I didnt say anything for a long while and my mom thought I was going to cry. Then all i said was "that was awesome!")

AE was a refuge from the happiness of MK as many have said. It was terrifying and a great story.

SGE simply tries to be a happy little story that kids will enjoy. The imagineers tried their best to use AE's leftovers as a basis for a kids ride. It just didn't go together that well. Kids still come off crying and parents come off dissapointed.

Dont get me wrong, Stitch is a great character but the ride doesnt do him justice. I think the reason alot of people find the ride dissatisfying is because it simply was from a cartoon character that alot can't associate with. I like it when rides are love or hate, like villian or hero. AE had an obvious villian but SGE fails to let people decide between hero or villian. In the ride stitch really isn't that nice or all too cute. People just don't know what to make of his character. It's like its a scary ride trying to be nice, instead of a scary ride scaring you ...tless.

EDIT: Add a IMO to everything i've said.

jeffcot

Where are all these screaming children on SGE? I've been on it numerous times over the past few years and have never seen any hysterical toddlers being dragged out by parents.

Now Tough to Be a Bug--every show I've been to, there have been little ones having nervous breakdowns.

Criticism of SGE in terms of story, execution, etc, can certainly be considered valid, but I'm just not buying the whole "too scary for little kids" angle.

Victor

(Personal Story: The only time I ever rode AE was when I was 7 years old. I seriously wanted to be a big boy and tackle the big rides since i had just ridden my first roller coaster Space Mountain. So we waited in line and I'm freaking out and all the parents are saying that I shouldnt have gone on it. We finally got in, and rode it. I screamed so loud my lungs nearly gave out. We got off and I didnt say anything for a long while and my mom thought I was going to cry. Then all i said was "that was awesome!")

Yeah I feel you. The years of 94-95 at WDW were the stage for my rite of passage. I remember being freaked out by Tower of Terror and AE before going on them, but when I emerged from those experiences, my voice had dropped and I had grown hair on parts of my body I never knew could grow hair. Facing my fear and doing those attractions made me feel like I could handle anything in life. I had become a man...

:lol:

I'm actually kinda serious about this.

darthjohnny

There are many reasons why SGE is considered a terrible attraction. I loved AE, it was my most favourite ride of all time, and when SGE replaced it, I was heartbroken. I did try SGE with an open mind, but it was just too lousy. Here are the reasons why:

*Horrible animation in the pre show videos

*Story line with too many plot holes to count which include:
-They're pulling random people off the streets to be security guards. What?!
-Its a prequal to the Lilo and Stitch movie, which is before the federation ever heard of earth or humans. Yet, they're bringing in humans to be their security guards here on the futuristic earth.
-Lilo and Stitch takes place in the present while the ride is located in Tomorrowland which is set in the distant future.
-No food or drinks are allowed in the attraction at any time, yet someone manages to smuggle in a chili dog which Stitch eats.
-Stitch keeps calling himself Stitch even though this takes place before the movie, which was before he was named Stitch, so how come Stitch keeps calling himself Stitch?!
-Stitch teleports him down to earth ( wait, we're already on earth! ), and the aliens have never heard of it, and after the ride is over we suppose they capture him on earth and bring him to be trialed ( at the beginning of the movie ). Yet, when Stitch escapes again and lands in Hawaii, the aliens have never heard of earth again and seem to have no knolege of humans. Hello! Don't you remember when you opened up a security center in the future and hired a bunch of humans to be security guards? Ugh..
-At the end of the whole thing, they fire you. Hello, maybe if you had raised the DNA scanner things, we could've been a better help and not have been fired instead of sitting there and getting burped on.

*It still scares the bejeesus out of kids.

The only redeeming factor about the ride is the animatronics. Other than that, that's it.

Well, the animation is basically in the same style as the Lilo and Stitch movie, so I don't really understand what you are talking about.

I've never seen kids frightened on Stitch the times I've rode it. They've all quite enjoyed it.

I don't think some of your plot holes are actually plot holes, you just fail to realize the story:

1. You are not a random human, you are a security guard, this is just your first day.
2. You just have to accept that the story involves the suspension of disbelief that you are not a human being, but an employee of the Galactic Federation. Some one said it earlier that you being a human isn't really supposed to be taken into account.
3. Tomorrowland does not just embody the future itself, but also other planets and distant galaxies, that are more advanced then Planet Earth. Or if you don't except that explanation, SGE does take place in the future, but that doesn't mean Disney World has changed much, especially in terms of the Cinderella Castle. Besides, where would you want the attraction to be placed, Frontierland???
4. The chilli dog burp is just for humor, and is not supposed to be taken seriously as a violation of the rules. Besides, in real life, many people don't listen to the rules any way. :lol:
5. At the end, you are not fired. You are just released for today. If you recall Pleakly asks you that when you come back tomorrow, "Leave the cell phones at home."

As for the other things you mentioned, you have to look at it as not a prequel, but more as another take on the story.

I ask you: When does the new plot line for the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction with Jack Sparrow take place? You can't really place it in an exact time within the movies. It is sort of a cool spin-off.

In reality, SGE has a somewhat involved story line.

imagineer boy

darthjohnny said:
Well, the animation is basically in the same style as the Lilo and Stitch movie, so I don't really understand what you are talking about.

Well, its TV animation rather than feature animation and it really shows.

1. You are not a random human, you are a security guard, this is just your first day.

Yeah, but you'd think it'd be odd that they'd be hiring children and others that are not nessessarily fit to be security gaurds. I just think that random people going to see a teleportation demonstration is just a better and far more believeable story like in AE.

2. You just have to accept that the story involves the suspension of disbelief that you are not a human being, but an employee of the Galactic Federation.

You can have suspension of disbelief, but that's a little too much suspension of disbelief. Walking in there and saying "Hey, pretend you're an alien!" just doesn't work too well. Sure, Buzz has people old and young going into a space war, but that's okay because its done in a surreal comic world, while Stitch isn't extremely surreal if at all.

3. Tomorrowland does not just embody the future itself, but also other planets and distant galaxies, that are more advanced then Planet Earth. Or if you don't except that explanation, SGE does take place in the future, but that doesn't mean Disney World has changed much, especially in terms of the Cinderella Castle. Besides, where would you want the attraction to be placed, Frontierland???

Tomorrowland does take place on earth. There are many references to it around the land. SGE does not take place in the future. The firm story line as told by the imagineers is that its a prequal to the Lilo and Stitch movie which takes place in the present which makes a large continuity error.

4. The chilli dog burp is just for humor, and is not supposed to be taken seriously as a violation of the rules. Besides, in real life, many people don't listen to the rules any way. :lol:

:lol: True. It is there for humor, but maybe they could've done better with it. Maybe Stitch could've eaten a women's canister of lip stick and burped a scented lip stick smell on you.

5. At the end, you are not fired. You are just released for today. If you recall Pleakly asks you that when you come back tomorrow, "Leave the cell phones at home."

I don't know, it kinda sounds like you're being fired. Gantu says "Release the recruits." which kinda sounds like you're being fired.

As for the other things you mentioned, you have to look at it as not a prequel, but more as another take on the story. I ask you: When does the new plot line for the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction with Jack Sparrow take place? You can't really place it in an exact time within the movies. It is sort of a cool spin-off.

Well, because POTC is just that. A spin off. In SGE, they're litterally telling you its a prequal. In POTC, nowhere do they tell you its a prequal to COTBP. For all we know, it could tie into some events with the third movie.

the-reason14

I've never seen kids frightened on Stitch the times I've rode it. They've all quite enjoyed it.

Not really, the animation is more of the same as in the series as far as look and movement. I think what he originally was saying is that as far as it looking like the animation in the movie(which it is prequeled off of) it doesnt move or look like it.

I have seen kids scared to death in SGE at the beginning then toward the end, seemed to enjoy it, but it still scares the majority of the target audience. One little girl next to me was screaming like I dont know what, "Ahh, he's by me, He's by me, mommy, he's by me," and then seem to laugh at the little jokes and then scream again, I was terrified for her.

Personally, I enjoy it, I can see its little plot holes and see why alot of people here hate it or wouldn't like it, and I respect that, but when Im going to WDW it doesnt really matter what other people say or think about something, but how I feel toward it. I never stand in line for it, I always do it at night, when I can walk right up to the silver doors, if theres even the sligtest line, I do it later or on another trip. I still have 2 fps for it that I havent used for like 3 to 4 pm.

Victor

Yeah, but you'd think it'd be odd that they'd be hiring children and others that are not nessessarily fit to be security gaurds. I just think that random people going to see a teleportation demonstration is just a better and far more believeable story like in AE.

You can have suspension of disbelief, but that's a little too much suspension of disbelief. Walking in there and saying "Hey, pretend you're an alien!" just doesn't work too well. Sure, Buzz has people old and young going into a space war, but that's okay because its done in a surreal comic world, while Stitch isn't extremely surreal if at all.

Look, I hate SGE, and I get what you're saying, but since when has anyone required a 'logical reason' to be on any attraction at WDW? For example: PotC. Why are you riding a boat into a pirate invasion? Who knows? Do we even care? Then there are countless others, IASMW, SM, etc. The storylines for these are almost non existant in comparison to SGE.

darthjohnny

Tomorrowland does take place on earth. There are many references to it around the land. SGE does not take place in the future. The firm story line as told by the imagineers is that its a prequal to the Lilo and Stitch movie which takes place in the present which makes a large continuity error.

Well, because POTC is just that. A spin off. In SGE, they're litterally telling you its a prequal. In POTC, nowhere do they tell you its a prequal to COTBP. For all we know, it could tie into some events with the third movie.

I never said it does not take place on Earth, I'm saying it embodies the idea of other worlds. But if you look at Buzz, you are really in the Gamma Quadrant in Space, ready to go to Planet Z, not Earth. :)

As for POTC, I don't see how that is can be a spin off, but SGE can't. I doubt it has a true movie tie in, besides the characters, we'll just have to wait and see when the third movie come out. :)

imagineer boy

Victor said:
Look, I hate SGE, and I get what you're saying, but since when has anyone required a 'logical reason' to be on any attraction at WDW? For example: PotC. Why are you riding a boat into a pirate invasion? Who knows? Do we even care? Then there are countless others, IASMW, SM, etc. The storylines for these are almost non existant in comparison to SGE.

POTC is an exception because its a simple dark ride. Although, POTC does have a bit of a story line. Technically evil pirate spirits ( or Davy Jones ) are guiding your boat through the caves and show what greed does to you ( the scenes where dead pirates laying with swords in their chests showing that they fought over the treasure because of their greed ) and warn us saying "Dead men tell no tales." The water fall then kind of symbolizes you going back in time and you travel invisibly in the scenes ( explaining why the pirates don't notice you ). Afterwards, you go forward in time ( or atleast in DL's version ) and back safely.

dxwwf3

Special note to all the legions of AE lovers...
Where where you when that attraction was still up and running.

I was probably either in the queue for the attraction or in the attraction itself. That's what fans of something do.........they see it. And see it multiple times :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom