What makes SGE so horrible?

MickeyDee

Original Poster
Or am I just blind and biased to that alien? :veryconfu

I never rode AE, but even if AE was the best attraction on Earth, it's replacement wouldn't have to be labeled awful immediately..I loved the original Figment, loads more, but it's replacement isn't a bad experience..the younger kids like it.

And from someone who didn't ride AE..my family went on SGE with me, and we all agreed it was great. My mom was very enthusiastic about her fondness of the whole thing..until we started talking to some people who needed recommendations for attractions. They said someone said something about Stitch and they hated it, and my mom agreed with a nod of her head and a "I knooow..." Is she lying to me or them? Or is the attraction really that bad and I'm just oblivious to reality?

Can someone explain to the dumb Miss Stitchy?

1disneydood

Stitch has no place in the ride. It was built as a sensory thriller with a fesh eating alien. Toning it down to where it no longer does as intended, and adding stitch just don't cut it. It is now lame, especially for those of us who have done the original AE.

"Look mommy it's stitch."
"This is fun."
blah, blah, blah...

darthjohnny

I personally love the attraction! It is very fun! I do not see why everyone hates it.

Some people are just anti-Stitchites who do not give the ride a fair chance because they believe Stitch is just everywhere, and he is taking over the park and the company.

I didn't like Alien Encounter that much. It was very dark, and not that exciting. It seemed to lack Disney magic. Plus, if a young child's parents dragged he or she into it, and they weren't emotinally prepared, they would scream their head off the entire time, and would get really annoying after a while.

Stitch is really enjoyable. I like the swiveling laser guns. Plus, you can see a lot more things, plus Stithc is a great Animatronic.

As for your mom, I have no idea why she would contradict herself. Maybe she wasn't truly listening to the other person, and just agreed along to just get away from them. :)

Tim G

Or am I just blind and biased to that alien? :veryconfu

I never rode AE, but even if AE was the best attraction on Earth, it's replacement wouldn't have to be labeled awful immediately..I loved the original Figment, loads more, but it's replacement isn't a bad experience..the younger kids like it.

And from someone who didn't ride AE..my family went on SGE with me, and we all agreed it was great. My mom was very enthusiastic about her fondness of the whole thing..until we started talking to some people who needed recommendations for attractions. They said someone said something about Stitch and they hated it, and my mom agreed with a nod of her head and a "I knooow..." Is she lying to me or them? Or is the attraction really that bad and I'm just oblivious to reality?

Can someone explain to the dumb Miss Stitchy?
If you never did AE, you can't compare the two rides.

There are people who think it's horrible...
And there are people who think it's fun...

You can't build your opinion on 5000 people on forums, Walt Disney World has millions of visitors each year and millions of people love it...

darthjohnny

If you never did AE, you can't compare the two rides.

There are people who think it's horrible...
And there are people who think it's fun...

You can't build your opinion on 5000 people on forums, Walt Disney World has millions of visitors each year and millions of people love it...

That is very true. :)

1disneydood

FWIW I love stitch. The movies, the series, the toys, etc. I didn't even mind the teepeed castle, and having him EVERYWHERE in the parks. IMO Stitch is funnier and cuter than Mickey.

But I don't like that the took away AE, AND I think Stitch should have gotten his own ride, better than sticking him in AE.

And if all we got was stitch in AE they could have done it better. Maybe more AA figures. What happened to the days when attractions had more than one AA in them?

Matpez

In my opinion, I would go on AE on every trip to the MK. I went on Stitch completely open minded to the progress and updates and left knowing I didn't desire to ever do it again. It just isn't nearly as fun. I believe even if I had never gone on AE once would have been enough for me with Stitch.
People have very differing opinions on all the attractions . My wife doesn't get why I enjoy the TTA so much, but I like to do it every time I go to MK.

imagineer boy

There are many reasons why SGE is considered a terrible attraction. I loved AE, it was my most favourite ride of all time, and when SGE replaced it, I was heartbroken. I did try SGE with an open mind, but it was just too lousy. Here are the reasons why:

*Horrible animation in the pre show videos

*Story line with too many plot holes to count which include:
-They're pulling random people off the streets to be security guards. What?!
-Its a prequal to the Lilo and Stitch movie, which is before the federation ever heard of earth or humans. Yet, they're bringing in humans to be their security guards here on the futuristic earth.
-Lilo and Stitch takes place in the present while the ride is located in Tomorrowland which is set in the distant future.
-No food or drinks are allowed in the attraction at any time, yet someone manages to smuggle in a chili dog which Stitch eats.
-Stitch keeps calling himself Stitch even though this takes place before the movie, which was before he was named Stitch, so how come Stitch keeps calling himself Stitch?!
-Stitch teleports him down to earth ( wait, we're already on earth! ), and the aliens have never heard of it, and after the ride is over we suppose they capture him on earth and bring him to be trialed ( at the beginning of the movie ). Yet, when Stitch escapes again and lands in Hawaii, the aliens have never heard of earth again and seem to have no knolege of humans. Hello! Don't you remember when you opened up a security center in the future and hired a bunch of humans to be security guards? Ugh..
-At the end of the whole thing, they fire you. Hello, maybe if you had raised the DNA scanner things, we could've been a better help and not have been fired instead of sitting there and getting burped on.

*It still scares the bejeesus out of kids.

The only redeeming factor about the ride is the animatronics. Other than that, that's it.

meanstreak82

AE was one of my favorite attractions. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed with the retooling of the attraction. It honestly gave me a different perspective of Tomorrowland altogether... That being said, I honestly don't think that Stitch is the problem. The new attraction's problems lie within the story and especially the pacing.

There's just long stretches in the attraction where there's nothing happening and you're just sitting there watching Stitch or listening to him walk around. I just don't think that after the show starts there's much substance at all. That's something that AE had... the alien wasn't transported in right away... there was buildup after you sat down (Audience "selection" of who is to be transported, Chairman Clench interrupting the "selection", Clench being beamed to wrong planet, etc). Since Stitch is in the room within a minute or two, there's only so much spitting and burping before it becomes repetitive, and the story finds itself "killing time" so to speak.

Or maybe it was also that Alien Encounter was very unique, and you can find what's there now all over the place.

Tim G

There are many reasons why SGE is considered a terrible attraction. I loved AE, it was my most favourite ride of all time, and when SGE replaced it, I was heartbroken. I did try SGE with an open mind, but it was just too lousy.

Which is YOUR opinion... :D

St205

I lost count on how may times I have seen this topic. I loved AE,the last time I went to WDW was back in 1999,it was great,heck I even have a book about it.

I will give SGE a chance on my next trip. He's one of my favorite characters.

MiceysBestPal

I've been reading these BB's for years and you can't fool me.

Until SGE, Alien Encounter was the most REVILED attraction at WDW.

There were actually MORE threads railing against it than there are now against Stitch.

I visited AE many times on many trips during its tenure.
Most times, upon exiting, I found there were many vocal complainers and crying children (I KNOW... they tried to WARN the children away, but its the MK, after all!)

I actually liked AE.
And I actually like SGE...
for the same reasons.
Its a very creative use of binaural sound to create a "mood" in the dark.
(Heck, folks hate Sounds Dangerous for being the same kind of technology.)
But in AE and SGE, the "physical" effects in the theater are very effective, as well.

Special note to all the legions of AE lovers...
Where where you when that attraction was still up and running... and being savaged by all the BB posters and guests in the park?

I know, YOU were the one defending its honor in the forums.
YOU were the one trying to explain the pending terror to the unheeding mom with a 4-year-old in the queue.

Yes, that's right...
AE- Great!
SGE-Trash!

Until... Disney dares to implement the NEXT derivation of the attraction in this space.

THEN all of the SGE lovers will materialize.

;)

Victor

AE was one of my favorite attractions. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed with the retooling of the attraction. It honestly gave me a different perspective of Tomorrowland altogether... That being said, I honestly don't think that Stitch is the problem. The new attraction's problems lie within the story and especially the pacing.

There's just long stretches in the attraction where there's nothing happening and you're just sitting there watching Stitch or listening to him walk around. I just don't think that after the show starts there's much substance at all. That's something that AE had... the alien wasn't transported in right away... there was buildup after you sat down (Audience "selection" of who is to be transported, Chairman Clench interrupting the "selection", Clench being beamed to wrong planet, etc). Since Stitch is in the room within a minute or two, there's only so much spitting and burping before it becomes repetitive, and the story finds itself "killing time" so to speak.

Or maybe it was also that Alien Encounter was very unique, and you can find what's there now all over the place.

Agreed. AE was well scripted, well themed, exciting, and original. Scary? Yes, a bit. But it was up to parents to read the damn warnings. I did SGE once. Never again.

SirGoofy

It's all about story, and SGE's is one of the worst I've ever seen in a Disney attraction. It's really dissapointing, especially when AE had such a terrific story.

Victor

Reviled by who? Angry parents? Scared kids?

To all the legions of AE lovers... where where you when that attraction was still up and running... and being savaged by all the BB posters and guests in the park?

Well, I wasn't on these boards yet. But I do know that I wasn't alone in my love for AE. Many of the people I visited MK with happened to think AE was the best thing there.

I know, YOU were the one defending its honor on-line.
YOU were the one trying to explain the pending terror to the unheeding mom with a 4-year-old in the queue.

Nah, I like to see 4 year olds cry.

Yes, that's right...
AE- Great!
SGE-Trash!

Agreed! Best part of this post! :sohappy:

Tim G

I've been reading these BB's for years and you can't fool me.

There were actually MORE threads railing against it than there are now against Stitch.

I visited AE many times on many trips during its tenure.
Most times upon exiting there were many vocal complainers and crying children (I KNOW... they tried to WARN the children away, but its the MK.)

I liked AE and I like SGE for the same reasons. Its a very creative use of binaural sound to create a "mood" in the dark.
(Heck, folks hate Sounds Dangerous for being the same kind of technology.)

To all the legions of AE lovers... where where you when that attraction was still up and running... and being savaged by all the BB posters and guests in the park?

I know, YOU were the one defending its honor on-line.

Yes, that's right...
AE- Great!
SGE-Trash!

Until... Disney dares to implement the NEXT derivation of the attraction in this space.

THEN all of the SGE lovers will materialize.

;)
And you are absolutely right, and yet... it's NOT that horrible... as long the lines have rather long waiting times and still have fastpass machines it's obviously not really bad...

Victor

And you are absolutely right, and yet... it's NOT that horrible... as long the lines have rather long waiting times and still have fastpass machines it's obviously not really bad...

You slap any popular character on a marquee and that's gonna happen.

mousermerf

Account Suspended

I'm not sure if you're trying to say Stitch isn't that horrible or not but...

Yesterday it was pretty busy at MK. Buzz I think had been down (but was back up) and had a 30+min queue with its FP backed well into the plaza (and out over near the Laugh Floor. TTA was even forming a queue and because the line at the load was getting a bit slowed down in the switchbacks there was a risk of the speedramp having to be shutdown (thankfully they cleared that up and got people to step more quickly).

But, from the TTA i got to see that Stitch with its FP running had absolutely no line and no one was getting FP for it (the FPs were out at their standard distribution window gap).

So.. it's not exactly doing well.

(Edit to add) To clarify, Buzz standby was out the door in extend queue but the sign said 30. FP for it was well out the door and doubling back on itself (suggesting it had recently gone down). TTA was forming a line. Stitch had no queue, but a few people in the waiting area.

MickeyDee

Original Poster
-They're pulling random people off the streets to be security guards. What?!
Actually, you line up to do it. ;) I can't really put that up as a plot hole because...well, it's part of the story.

-Its a prequal to the Lilo and Stitch movie, which is before the federation ever heard of earth or humans. Yet, they're bringing in humans to be their security guards here on the futuristic earth.
I don't think they take that into consideration while on the ride...or SHOULD take that into consideration.

-No food or drinks are allowed in the attraction at any time, yet someone manages to smuggle in a chili dog which Stitch eats.
Pleakley yells at the audience at the end for phones and food. They take that in as well.

-Stitch keeps calling himself Stitch even though this takes place before the movie, which was before he was named Stitch, so how come Stitch keeps calling himself Stitch?!
-Stitch teleports him down to earth ( wait, we're already on earth! ), and the aliens have never heard of it, and after the ride is over we suppose they capture him on earth and bring him to be trialed ( at the beginning of the movie ). Yet, when Stitch escapes again and lands in Hawaii, the aliens have never heard of earth again and seem to have no knolege of humans. Hello! Don't you remember when you opened up a security center in the future and hired a bunch of humans to be security guards? Ugh.
Agreed..but it's aimed at kids...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom