What is with the Smell of the Monorails?

NickMaio

I'm not usually one to criticize anything Disney. We've just returned from yet another wonderful WDW vacation and once again, I was not disappointed. Except for...

The smell of the inside of those monorails!!! They smell like an elephant house at a zoo.

I realize that they're transporting thousands of people a day (and some not with the best hygiene) but how could every monorail have such an offending smell?

Does anyone else notice this odor? What could it be? How can Disney remedy it?

Scott
It really is crazy how bad they smell.
I love jumping on them for the nostalgia, but really the smell is impossible to ignore.

How WDW lets this happen is beyond me. A NY city bus in the summer smells better than the monorail any day of the week.
:mad:

thomas998

the monorails smell like bandaids.. plain and simple.
That's pretty much what I thought they smelled like, which would fit with the theory that it is caused by some adhesive that was used in the flooring. In fact it kind of reminds me of an office I worked in once because it had that smell after they remodeled the part of and glued down new flooring. As I recall the smell didn't last forever so maybe in time it will go away.

thomas998

It really is crazy how bad they smell.
I love jumping on them for the nostalgia, but really the smell is impossible to ignore.

How WDW lets this happen is beyond me. A NY city bus in the summer smells better than the monorail any day of the week.
:mad:
Only problem is you can't tell how bad a NY city bus smells in the summer because the city as a whole stinks so much you've gotten used to the stench by the time you get on the bus. I have no idea why but I have never been to NYC in the summer when the city as a whole didn't stink to high heaven... much worse than the monorail could ever dream of smelling.

dieboy

The carpet has not been replaced in how many years? Wet feet, kids, etc etc. They simply smell awful. If they choose to keep running them, maybe tear all that carpet out, bleach the interior of each car .. re apply NEW carpet? But meh, WDW has proven time and time again that they simply don't care about the monorails, their upkeep or safety. I don't even know why we still talk about those old run down things tbh.

rBrock02

This forum made me laugh out loud. I know exactly what you’re talking about 😂. If you ride a metro in any of the big cities, they smell like that too.

BoarderPhreak

Only problem is you can't tell how bad a NY city bus smells in the summer because the city as a whole stinks so much you've gotten used to the stench by the time you get on the bus. I have no idea why but I have never been to NYC in the summer when the city as a whole didn't stink to high heaven... much worse than the monorail could ever dream of smelling.
I take offense. As a NYer and having spent most of my life in and out of the city, this is a bit... Dramatic... Don't you think? Yes, certain areas in Chinatown can be rather... Ripe in the summer. The subways in general have a uniquely odd, musky odor (no comment). But by and large, the city doesn't "stink to high heaven." 😲

The MTA/LIRR... Now they "stink." 😒

ppet

I must be lucky/unlucky (take your pick) because I always end up in a monorail car with some one who spilled a whole bottle of perfume or maybe ax spray on themselves. I think I'd rather have the mildew toe jam odor.

thomas998

I take offense. As a NYer and having spent most of my life in and out of the city, this is a bit... Dramatic... Don't you think? Yes, certain areas in Chinatown can be rather... Ripe in the summer. The subways in general have a uniquely odd, musky odor (no comment). But by and large, the city doesn't "stink to high heaven." 😲

The MTA/LIRR... Now they "stink." 😒
I feel sorry for you... most likely your sense of smell has already been destroyed by the smells in the city. Maybe if you can spend a year or so outside the city in nice clean air you'll be able to understand why outside find the smell of NYC as being so horrible.

BoarderPhreak

I feel sorry for you... most likely your sense of smell has already been destroyed by the smells in the city. Maybe if you can spend a year or so outside the city in nice clean air you'll be able to understand why outside find the smell of NYC as being so horrible.
I don't live in the city. 😉

DDoglady

the monorails smell like bandaids.. plain and simple.
For years, they have smelled like a game farm or petting zoo. I thought it was because they may be storing them in Disney's Animal Kingdom when they're not running. Maybe Disney can afford to buy Fabuloso at Costco and try to get rid of that stench.

Goofyernmost

I was told years ago during a tour that they use a specific formula to disinfect the trains at night and that is what you can smell. I think it would be stronger in the morning but later on in the day they get an overdose of people odor throughout the day. They have always had the same odor since I starting going there in 1983.
No, it wasn't a bus driver. If I remember correctly it was during a Keys to the Kingdom tour.

DDoglady

For years, they have smelled like a game farm or petting zoo. I thought it was because they may be storing them in Disney's Animal Kingdom when they're not running. Maybe Disney can afford to buy Fabuloso at Costco and try to get rid of that stench.

I'm not usually one to criticize anything Disney. We've just returned from yet another wonderful WDW vacation and once again, I was not disappointed. Except for...

The smell of the inside of those monorails!!! They smell like an elephant house at a zoo.

I realize that they're transporting thousands of people a day (and some not with the best hygiene) but how could every monorail have such an offending smell?

Scott
It's evident from all the comments on this page that the very offensive odor of the monorail cars is a problem and WDW needs to do something about it...soon! Do they really think we're stupid enough to believe that it's an odor that they create on purpose through their cleaning regimen? Shame on them!

Disstevefan1

Scott
I have always suspected it was mildew from rainwater leaking in or improper drain lines from the AC system.

monorail81

Back when this post was started, the smell was so bad because of the carpeting - it held all the scents whether it be BO or mildew...it’s a bit better now that they’ve changed out the carpeting for the cheap plastic stuff.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Back when this post was started, the smell was so bad because of the carpeting - it held all the scents whether it be BO or mildew...it’s a bit better now that they’ve changed out the carpeting for the cheap plastic stuff.

Impermeable is a better description of its purpose. It won't impact the floating aerosol particles that waft about people, but it also won't retain organic residue that bacteria thrive on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom