What is 'Say Goodbye Ellen'?

Madison

sabian said:
The flaw with Monsters, Inc. is that it would assume that everyone saw the movie in order to make this connection. Not all adults have seen this movie, and, i find, that EPCOT is more adult oriented. I feel that Monsters would take away from the overall message of the attraction because they would have to set up the characters for all of the adults who have not seen the movie. (Disney does have a large following of people without kids.) I just think it is too far a stretch for this attraction. Monsters would fit in Tomorrowland, i.e. , Timekeeper's area. But Epcot, no. I just cannot see it. I see everyone's point. But, if you honestly think of the logistics involved, MOnsters would be harmful to Future World. Thrawn, i see what you mean about things "fitting," but, at least those attractions deal in, Quazi-reality. Monsters, Inc, to me, is way too far a stretch and hinderence to Epcot. There is no place for it.

At the same time, obviously nobody knew who Figment or Dreamfinder was -- and those characters did a fine job of hosting their pavilion. I don't understand why people think that for something to be 'adult' or educational, it must be devoid of characters. The characters, when used well, can make the experience fun! That's what Epcot is about, I'd think -- making learning engaging and fun by presenting important subjects in whimsical ways.

I would love to see how Monsters, Inc. could be integrated into the Universe of Energy message. Imagine how that story could parallel our own world, even -- after falling in love with Boo, the monsters have discovered that, maybe, their method of gathering energy for their city hasn't been as harmless or without consequence as they imagined and are faced with the dire challenge of finding a new source for it. Metaphor can be a great tool.

I admit to having never seen 'The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad,' but I love Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Ditto with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Song of the South. It's entirely possible to make an attraction work with characters that the public doesn't intimately know -- if you can even say that about Mike and Sully.

Goofster

I hope we don't see Monsters, Inc. take over the energy pavillion. Future World doesn't need to become Pixar-land. We'll get enough of that over at DCA. Screams (or laughter) powering a fantasy city does not relate to the energy of our planet at all. I find myself loving Ellen's Energy Adventure everytime I ride, and Ellen is as popular as she ever was. That being said, I think the ride could use an update, even one with familiar Disney characters. I just don't think they should be Pixar-created or specifically from Monsters, Inc.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
What is with you people and telling stories on an attraction. " IT is about showing an experience, not a story." I believe I am quoting Marc Davis on that one

Laura

Premium Member
Even though I've been riding Universe of Energy since I was a baby, it has absolutely no sentimental value for me. I've always thought it was quite boring! The Ellen rehab helped, but since Alex shaved his moustache it doesn't fit anymore. :lol:

On another note - Future World is definitely not a "future world" at all. I think when the Imagineers or whoever came up with the ideas for "future world" and "Tomorrowland" they didn't realize that "tomorrow" would be realized within 2 decades.

This is how I would sort out the current future world themes...

Conservation: Universe of Energy, The Land, The Living Seas
Progress: Spaceship Earth
Human Body & Mind: Imagination Pavillion, Wonders of Life
Exploration: Mission Space
Technology: Innoventions, Test Track

Future World seems like a hodge podge of 5 different themes. The only link I can think of between the 5 themes is "education". But I don't think a place named "Education World" would draw much of a crowd. Discoveryland (as Thrawn said) seems to fit better, though I would personally prefer "Discovery World" because there's already "lands" in Magic Kingdom.

As far as Universe of Energy - I like that its educational but it doesn't need to be so boring. Monsters Inc would be neat to add in, but I'm not sure how they'd make "screams of human children as a natural energy resource" sound like a good thing. :lol:

Epcot82Guy

warlord said:
What is with you people and telling stories on an attraction. " IT is about showing an experience, not a story." I believe I am quoting Marc Davis on that one

Actually, it depends on who you talk to. The old guard was not about telling stories. They put up shows. However, the new mantra at WDI and management in general is "Story Telling." Trust me. I heard enough about it while I was there. I personally don't like the change because story telling requires the story be told one way. However, creating shows allows people to piece together the rest on their own (example: compare Pirates or Mansion to any number of current shows). Storytelling goes toward children because adults prefer engaging interaction. That's why you have attractions that are over 30 years old still bringing in people in larger crowds than attractions half that age IMHO. It is all about a balance, but put 8 pieces of something in front of someone and make them link them together is MUCH more effective than leading them mindlessly through like a storybook.

mickeysgal

I definitely think Universe of Energy needs an update, too. However, basing the entire attraction on Monsters Inc. would be a bad idea, in my opinion. I do think that if they devoted a small portion of the building to a "scream/laugh factory" would be great. Kids can scream or laugh into microphones and a computer can tell them how much energy they made, what it would power. The area can be very colorful with tubes above passing around the energy, an engergy counter, and even Mike and Sully looking down from an office above. My kids would love to do something like that. Then the Disney company can negotiate with Exxon/Mobil for an updated attraction, or seek out another company (BP has been really pushing the PR about their advances with energy and fuel) to update the rest of the attraction. Mabye the characters could bring in more people, and get them to stay for the main attraction.

disneyisbest

I beleive the only thing that all the attractions have in common is that their educational. Maybe they should call it education world. I don't think that would bring very many people in though. Besides Future World just has a nice ring to it. It dosen't matter to me if it makes sense or not. Since when do human beings make sense?

wannab@dis

-SIR- said:
yes Epcot Center did gain numbers with the addition of characters but that was in the 80's when people had no idea what epcot center was about. Now Epcot has become a household name, people know what its about and they know what to expect. Most people I know consider Epcot to be the most "adult attractive" charming park that it is... that doesnt mean that there shouldnt be plenty for kids to enjoy but it also doesnt mean that nearly every attraction need a character "tie-in". I think the fact that epcot isnt full of "warm fuzzies" is what sets it apart from the rest of the parks and makes it unique. I like to think of it as the reality based fantasy park. :animwink: just my opinion
Wait a minute... I thought everyone wanted a "family" park that the entire "family" could enjoy. Now some want an "adult" park that doesn't just have kiddie stuff.

Once again, it appears that the Imagineers have attempted to relate to everyone and just not a single segment.

MKCP 1985

Laura22 said:
Even though I've been riding Universe of Energy since I was a baby, it has absolutely no sentimental value for me. I've always thought it was quite boring! The Ellen rehab helped, but since Alex shaved his moustache it doesn't fit anymore. :lol:

On another note - Future World is definitely not a "future world" at all. I think when the Imagineers or whoever came up with the ideas for "future world" and "Tomorrowland" they didn't realize that "tomorrow" would be realized within 2 decades.

This is how I would sort out the current future world themes...

Conservation: Universe of Energy, The Land, The Living Seas
Progress: Spaceship Earth
Human Body & Mind: Imagination Pavillion, Wonders of Life
Exploration: Mission Space
Technology: Innoventions, Test Track

Future World seems like a hodge podge of 5 different themes. The only link I can think of between the 5 themes is "education". But I don't think a place named "Education World" would draw much of a crowd. Discoveryland (as Thrawn said) seems to fit better, though I would personally prefer "Discovery World" because there's already "lands" in Magic Kingdom.

As far as Universe of Energy - I like that its educational but it doesn't need to be so boring. Monsters Inc would be neat to add in, but I'm not sure how they'd make "screams of human children as a natural energy resource" sound like a good thing. :lol:
GREAT POST! :sohappy:

Run, kids - it's EDUCATION WORLD! :eek: Almost as scary - CONSERVATION LAND! Aaarrrgh!

Energy has been boring since day 1 and will always be boring. The dinosaurs were the only thing it ever had going for it and they can't put enough dinosaurs on that thing to save it.

Where did the rumor of Monsters, Inc. coming to the Energy pavilion start? WHAT? The whole place would have to be gutted for this to even begin to happen. I don't see it. Bad boy, Rosso!

I can see Test Track in the theme of future, as in "In the future, General Motors cars and this very attraction won't break down so often!" No, seriously - the prototypes and safety engineering bespeak the future of vehicle safety and design, so I'll give it a pass.

SirGoofy

I wouldn't mind a Monsters Inc. ride...as long as the base idea of UoE is kept intact. It could be a perfect way to talk about energy, and it would keep kids much more interested. But, I don't want the ride structure to change. Take out the dino AAs if you must, but replace them with new AAs. I'm tired of rides w/o AAs. And if the dinos are taken out, put them somewhere else.

-SIR-

wannab@dis said:
Wait a minute... I thought everyone wanted a "family" park that the entire "family" could enjoy. Now some want an "adult" park that doesn't just have kiddie stuff.

Once again, it appears that the Imagineers have attempted to relate to everyone and just not a single segment.

I can see where you are coming from, I was just stating that most people think of Epcot as the more adult park... not what the imagineers intended... but actually maybe things should be aimed more in the family direction since that is what they are going for today... I still think epcot should be aimed at the 10 or 12 or so age and up. It wasnt really designed to be a familyoark in the first place... not in the since we think of family parks today with kiddie rides and such... Monsters inc. just sounds too much like a kiddie ride... maybe they could pull it off and not have it seem "hoakie" but I doubt it.

RSoxNo1

Future World really isn't future world. It's not even the Future of 1983 World which someone joked about on these boards a little while ago. There have been rumors circulating that a renaming is in order, be it discovery world or what have you.

Although some of the newer pavillions don't necessarily focus on the future, they do hold true to their pre-existing counterparts.

World of Motion was a trip through the evolution of transportation, it grew tired, guests didn't ride it, they spruced it up. Now it is a trip through a modern GM testing facility and it's the most popular attraction in the park. It's not futuristic, but you do discover some of the inner workings of how to build and test an automobile.

Horizons showcased new and inventive ways to colonize and harvest the land we live in and the lands we may live in tomorrow. Although this was more popular than WoM, it too lacked a real guest interest and the building was deteorating. The replacement, although too intense for many people continues with this new form of colonization, this time on the planet Mars. More guests per hour, an increase in park capacity - another good thing.

Universe of Energy, by bringing "celebrities" like Ellen and Bill Nye on, Disney added humor to an attraction that often scared small children. With it's "infotainment", Universe of Energy educates through humor and without pouring it down your throat. That being said, the make believe source of energy likely to be the focal point of any Monster's, Inc. overlay could still be used to convey a message about energy conservation.

Lastly, the Soarin' addition effectively takes the place of food rocks. But only in it's placement in the land. It's intent is to discover the lush landscape of California and the natural beauty of the land. Again, not the future, more discovery.

I don't remember what the EPCOT acronym stands for, but I do recall the last word being tommorrow. Now I doubt this change from the future to discovery will result in a name change for the park, but anything is possible.

My contention on the future of Epcot:
The living seas overhaul should bring people to that area of the park. This presents two possibilities, increased attendance at UoE, or the Disney belief that UoE needs to be redone. I've heard numerous rumors that Disney is leaning towards redoing UoE before doing anything w/Wonders of Life or Spaceship Earth.

Since Spaceship Earth is the single most popular attraction on the planet (based off attendance), it would be difficult to do a complete overhaul while loosely tying in the history of time. However, reworking some of the scenes, modernizing the animatronics, or simple redoing the ending would do wonders for the overall aesthetics of the attraction.

Lastly, World Showcase needs at least one more ride. Adults want to view the countries, children want to go on rides - it's as simple as that. Each country has a variety of ride possibilities be it the long rumored, probably false Brother Bear ride in Canada, to the original plans for the boat ride in Germany, to the Kodak squashed Mt. Fuji in Japan.

Glasgow

These are all good points. I, for one, would definitely like Epcot to re-focus on education again, whether it be through kiddie-style influence or not.

My vote is for a slow moving dark ride! Mission:Space, while a very good simluator and overall fun experience, doesn't really provide me with much education about space except for what I read on the walls. This is why I think WoL will be turned into some sort of dark ride ..

imagineer boy

I would really hate it if they added Monsters Inc. If they do that, then consider Future World completely "Toonified." Way too many cartoon things. With the addition of Nemo and the wand, it will become "The Magic Kingdom of the Future." A few things like Goofy about health are okay, but if they have more and more entire pavillions devoted to Disney characters, then it just doesn't work. I always like to think of Epcot as "The place where we can explore distant cultures and discover new innovations to make our earth a better place to live." Know what I'm saying?

Rosso11

MKCP 1985 said:
Where did the rumor of Monsters, Inc. coming to the Energy pavilion start? WHAT? The whole place would have to be gutted for this to even begin to happen. I don't see it. Bad boy, Rosso!
I didn't start this rumor its been around for a long time. I was just voicing my opinion that if you look at what has been going on at Disney lately and listen to all of the rumors this seems to be the most likely to happen to Energy. Disney has learned their lesson that enlisted B-list celebrities dates an atraction way to fast. The simple solution to this is taking out celebrities as the host and placing in the characters they own that are loved by millions of people around the world and don't grow old. Not to mention that Monsters inc. 2 is rumored to be in production right now. They did this at The living Seas and the numbers went through the roof. It doesn't take a brain scientist to see where energy might be headed. This is the reason I believe this rumor more than any other right now.

imagineerfan

Sightly off topic, but does anyone know what the plot/ storyline will be for the new Monsters ride at DCA? Do you think this could potentialy end up at UOE? Just throwing it out there...

Dan

CaptainMichael

imagineerfan said:
Sightly off topic, but does anyone know what the plot/ storyline will be for the new Monsters ride at DCA? Do you think this could potentialy end up at UOE? Just throwing it out there...

Dan
I believe that the Monsters Inc. rida at DCA is just your basic dark ride based on a film. A ride at UoE would be more advanced and in theory, have something to do with energy.

Tim G

It's nice of you to let us know about everything you read on SCREAMSCAPE... (I guess)

But I'll pass... thanks anyway... :lookaroun

Question: Why do you post all that stuff... Please use tick box :D

Answer [ ] You let us know about all those rediculous rumors??
Answer [ ] You believe them, and pass them through
Answer [ ] You don't know, and you just want't to fill up precious Disk Space

Conclusion... IMO You visit Screamscape more often Than WDWMagic... :brick:

Have a Magical Day... :wave:

Tigger1988

Corrus said:
It's nice of you to let us know about everything you read on SCREAMSCAPE... (I guess)

But I'll pass... thanks anyway... :lookaroun

Question: Why do you post all that stuff... Please use tick box :D

Answer [ ] You let us know about all those rediculous rumors??
Answer [ ] You believe them, and pass them through
Answer [ ] You don't know, and you just want't to fill up precious Disk Space

Conclusion... IMO You visit Screamscape more often Than WDWMagic... :brick:

Have a Magical Day... :wave:

Ditto, if I wanted to see what lovely rumors Screamscape had to offer i'd visit the site...I don't so...I won't

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom