What is most likely to be built between 7DMT and Avatar?

Kman101

Disney was supposed to be a place where EVERYONE could enjoy the rides, but you are absolutely correct it has become a little girl and grandma park and teens will not even admit they WENT to WDW because of the little kid vibe that the place radiates. Just look at the vast stroller parking lot that FLE has become.

Exactly. As a grown man with no kids, I admit to feeling incredibly awkward in Fantasyland, it's just so geared towards a different audience now. Yet in Disneyland I had zero issues waiting in line for any of the dark rides. I admit I shouldn't feel any sort of way and just enjoy the attraction but it's overrun with kids and WDW caters to it. Why? Because parents will always spend the money on their kids over themselves in most cases, hence the lack of substance for adults. Disney did used to be about giving EVERYONE something to do. Stitch replacing Alien Encounter just sums it all up to me in that regard. Everything feels so dumbed down.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Have you actually ridden Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey? The technology used is truly state of the art and MUCH more complex than TSMM. And it is not a roller coaster.
Yes I have and I enjoyed it. Though I will say I was disappointed in the ride. It didn't live up to the expectation that the queue gave. The queue is absolutely gorgeous and one of te best I have ever scene with that being said the ride did not have that attention to detail. It felt like video an special effects On a fun arm. It's great but I was hoping for something more in depth something more interactive. Prolly something that neither Disney or uni could have done. Also as technology comes to play the kuka arms runs the exact same way were as something such as tsmm as more logic coding due to a difference in how guest will use the technology. I won't get into a technology argument though. In my perfect world the ride would have been a mixture of a kuka arm and some sort of interactive element.
While we say it's state of the art it is. It only in the theme park scene. The first kuka arm was develope in 1973 and the difference from now and then is range of motion and power. I will agree that it's advanced for a park. It very common place and many industries. It should be noted they are know for their simility to program one reason kuka arms are loved in manufacturing

GLaDOS

We should do a thread called things more overrated than FJ on wdwmagic, only I don't think it would get many replies.

Oh I dunno, I can think of quite a bit off the top of my head: Expedition Everest, Test Track, Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania, New Fantasyland, Radiator Springs Racers...

Shall I continue?

Seriously, only on a site like this can people call Forbidden Journey overrated.

Disneyhead'71

Yes I have and I enjoyed it. Though I will say I was disappointed in the ride. It didn't live up to the expectation that the queue gave. The queue is absolutely gorgeous and one of te best I have ever scene with that being said the ride did not have that attention to detail. It felt like video an special effects On a fun arm. It's great but I was hoping for something more in depth something more interactive. Prolly something that neither Disney or uni could have done. Also as technology comes to play the kuka arms runs the exact same way were as something such as tsmm as more logic coding due to a difference in how guest will use the technology. I won't get into a technology argument though. In my perfect world the ride would have been a mixture of a kuka arm and some sort of interactive element.
While we say it's state of the art it is. It only in the theme park scene. The first kuka arm was develope in 1973 and the difference from now and then is range of motion and power. I will agree that it's advanced for a park. It very common place and many industries. It should be noted they are know for their simility to program one reason kuka arms are loved in manufacturing
The advanced technology comes in moving the arm through the show building. The issues with syncing the moving Ride Vehicle with the various show scenes, the ride profile during those show scenes, and especially the ride profile that safely inserts the passenger compartment that is on the moving Ride Vehicle into the domed screens that are themselves on a rotating carousel.

raymusiccity

Oh I dunno, I can think of quite a bit off the top of my head: Expedition Everest, Test Track, Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania, New Fantasyland, Radiator Springs Racers...

Shall I continue?

Seriously, only on a site like this can people call Forbidden Journey overrated.

Actually, you can 'Google' Forbidden Journey ride review, and see that quite a few people are disappointed with the ride. It makes many nauseous to boot.

Yesterland is a very credible source:

"The technology that makes Forbidden Journey possible is amazing, but I can think of a lot of attractions that I enjoy more—at Disney parks and at Universal parks. The technology of a boat floating through s flume is primitive compared to the whiz-bang KUKA robotic arm technology that Forbidden Journey uses, but I think that Pirates of the Caribbean, which has been around since spring of 1967, is still a better attraction."

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Actually, you can 'Google' Forbidden Journey ride review, and see that quite a few people are disappointed with the ride. It makes many nauseous to boot.

But looking at Yelp, which has a 148 reviews, the overwhelming majority of people give it either 4 or 5 stars, and Theme Park Insiders' 504 votes give it a 9 out of 10.

Bairstow

After Star Tours' CGI re-do barely moved the needle for MGM's attendance I would be surprised if Disney is going to want to double down on Star Wars in Florida right now.

GLaDOS

After Star Tours' CGI re-do barely moved the needle for MGM's attendance I would be surprised if Disney is going to want to double down on Star Wars in Florida right now.

Conventional wisdom and recent evidence points to nothing major between Mine Train and Avatar. Maybe we'll get a cantina in DHS and/or an indoor Jedi Training location, but that's about it, and I wouldn't call either or both of them put together major.

kap91

If the new 'Ariel' is any indication ie omnimover passing plastic fish on sticks and overhead lighting so bright you can count the holes in the acoustic tile. If this is a 'advanced' ride technology with 'immersive' theming. It must exist in some parallel universe.

Mermaid has its issues and isn't an e-ticket (nor was it designed to be) but the main animatronics (Ariel, Scuttle, and especially Ursula) blow the socks off of anything Universal (or anyone else) has attempted to do. And the story (while abbreviated like all classic dark rides) is certainly more coherent than Transformers or FJ.

The main problem with the FLE is too good, E-Ticket facades and preshows placed in front of attractions that weren't designed to be e-tickets. Kind of an odd problem when you think about it.

Buck

Original Poster
I don't think that Universal Parks have ever been considered "Thrill Ride Parks". That really is something that only Disney fans consider them. They are actually very well rounded theme parks with a little of something for EVERYONE in a family. Between both Universal parks there are only 4 large coasters. Compare that to real "Thrill Ride" parks like Cedar Point that has 15 coasters. Universal has stuff like Party in the Park with Barney, "Oh The Stories You'll Hear" in Seuss Landing, and multiple playgrounds for the toddlers. Big Boy coasters for the teens. And fine dining and a nice Spa for the adults. Because they do have a few thrill rides doesn't make them "Thrill Ride Parks".

Disney parks are very lopsided towards slow moving toddler friendly rides. And considering all the talk about Disney being "family friendly", I think they do a horrible job of actually catering to the entire family. People between the ages of 8 and young adulthood, when they start having their own toddlers, are almost entirely ignored by Disney. Sure, there is stuff they CAN do, but how much of that stuff are they actually excited to do? I believe there is a reason that most kid's favorite thing to do at WDW is the hotel pool. And teens would rather have a root canal than go to WDW. But Disney does have the "Little girls and Grandma" demo all wrapped up.

No offense, but none if this is true. You just sound mad.

doctornick

But to get back to the orginial subject, I have been told that we will see a major Star Wars project before Avatar? Let's hope so.

Is that a question or a statement?

I'd love to see some element of Star Wars -- preferably a ride or rides, given DHS' desperate need for them -- before Avatar's opening in 2017. But at this point, I'm skeptical that it would occur even if "fast tracked". I think we might see some smaller SW additions though by around the time the film is released, like Mos Eisley cantina appearing, new scenes for Star Tours and maybe an indoor Jedi training.

Goofyernmost

In today's world of wimps, afternoon and evening thundershowers make some people nauseous. Should every ride be dumbed down to fit their requirements or should they be responsible for not going on a ride that will cause them problems.

kap91

Sorry, but what kind of movie ride skips the climax of the very story it's supposed to tell? A poorly-painted cutout does not a climax make.

That's my #1 complaint with the it as well, but compared to Transformers the story still makes a heck of a lot more sense. 5 minutes of non-stop gunfire and being tossed from machine to machine doesn't exactly make a story either.

lobelia

No offense, but none if this is true. You just sound mad.
I'm not sure what part of his statement is mad. Universal is certainly more family friendly than Cedar Point with more diverse options. Cedar Point is certainly a thrill ride park. Magic Kingdom has diverse options for all ages of the family but new rides slant to the under ten demographic. While Universal seems to be aiming at an age level a little higher than ten.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom