What is most likely to be built between 7DMT and Avatar?

SJN1279

Actually, Not gonna lie I would have loved a ride where I had a wand and got to use spells at targets, It would be a dream come true for me.

Hell yes. Going to Hogwarts and getting to cast your own spells with magic wands would have been a huge hit. It would have been an attraction the entire family could have enjoyed together, which something that Universal's Potter ride clearly is not.

The ride through Hogwarts should have been based on the magic of book 1(seeing the magic of Hogwarts through Potter's eyes), sadly Universal failed to capture that.

RSoxNo1

Forbidden Journey is a technological superior ride than anything Disney has done stateside. Having said that, the complaint about it being a "limiting" attraction are certainly well founded. I would 100% be on board with Dragon Challenge being leveled in favor of 2-3 family friendly attractions.

Even with all the expansion going on at Universal, I'd really love to see them add more family friendly attractions that can compete with Disney's bread and butter.

George

Liker of Things
No one has answered the OP's question. For now, Bay Lake and the WDW Speedway take up much of the space between the proposed Pandora and the Mine Train attraction. There are also the All Star resorts and Coronado Springs, but I would assume there is some room off the road (Bear Island Road?) for development of some kind. There is some un-developed greenery and the like. Interesting query that really gets one to contemplate that space.

G00fyDad

The rooms are booked up. No question marks needed. Most of the WDW DVCs run above 95% occupancy. The only exception is probably SSR which is huge and OKW which is also pretty big and a little old. The high occupancy rates actually impact the ability to perform maintenance on some rooms since they are always full.

Actually, the question marks were in reference to the post from the other member. I have actually put him on my ignore list since he seems hell bent on attacking people with every post and I really don't need to see it. :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No one has answered the OP's question. For now, Bay Lake and the WDW Speedway take up much of the space between the proposed Pandora and the Mine Train attraction. There are also the All Star resorts and Coronado Springs, but I would assume there is some room off the road (Bear Island Road?) for development of some kind. There is some un-developed greenery and the like. Interesting query that really gets one to contemplate that space.

Like I said...more DVC. Plenty of room for it;)

Buck

Original Poster

I laft.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I believe that I did try to answer the question. The only forseable venture would be more DVC at SOG

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Aaaah, you never disappoint, George. Just surprised it took you until page 6.
I was going to respond (on page 1!) with: I don't know. How much room is there?

Unfortunately, I don't know the OP that well, and didn't know how well it would fly.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Universal doesn't have to contend with a rabid fanbase that cries when an attraction is removed or changed. They've finally realized that they can leverage this as a means of keeping their parks fresh. On the other hand, Disney isn't taking advantage of the dead space that exists in all four of it's theme parks to maintain their freshness.

If they stopped REMOVING and instead concentrated on adding / changing attractions I don't think the fanbase would be so upset. WDW is not a museum after all.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hell yes. Going to Hogwarts and getting to cast your own spells with magic wands would have been a huge hit. It would have been an attraction the entire family could have enjoyed together, which something that Universal's Potter ride clearly is not.

The ride through Hogwarts should have been based on the magic of book 1(seeing the magic of Hogwarts through Potter's eyes), sadly Universal failed to capture that.

I can understand the underlying logic though, UNI has always been a thrill ride theme park so for the initial cut they used the 'thrill' elements rather than the DisneyQuest interactive approach.

kap91

7DMT - 2014 (maybe)
Under the Sea - 2013
Star Tours 3D - Not a new ride
new Test Track- Not a new ride
Toy Story Mania - 2008
Monsters Inc Laugh Floor - Not even a ride, but I'll give you this one. - 2007
Seas with Nemo - Not a new ride
Everest - 2006
Soarin - 2005

Still, not quite every year.

And a five year gap constitutes a new ride every year?

What standards exactly are you using for new rides? New Buildings? The seas with Nemo while in the same building and technically uses part of the old track of the original seas is most definitely a new ride.

And while star tours 2, and test track 2 used existing infrastructure/track they bare little resemblance to the attractions that proceeded them outside of the same ride system. They're certainly not just refurbs or updates.

Or are you just counting net new rides? Because if that's then case WDW has a very long history of closing one ride when it decides to open another. :-(

kap91

But most of those rides were to fill out a recently built park. Pirates, Space Mtn, and Big Thunder for MK, JII and Horizons, Living Seas for Epcot, TofT and RnRC for MGM(DHS), Kilimanjaro and Everest for AK. The only real expansion rides to established parks were Splash Mtn and Soarin (Space replaced Horizon). So now New Fantasy Land has replaced the long extinct 20k Leagues and Snow White with LM and 7D. In a few years there will be Avatar and eventually Star Wars. The pattern is really no different than the last 40 years.

Also remember, Universal is tearing down or retheaming for many of their new rides. Any time Disney does this, the fans revolt. A large population of adults like taking their kids to Disney to experience the same shows and rides they did as a kid. Universal does not have that same nestalgia so they keep reinventing themselves. Harry Potter was obviously a big boon for them, but it has not been proved yet if all of their other investments will yield similar results.

Also let's not forget that Universal is also playing catch up for the decade previous in which they built nearly nothing.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Also, we all know that if Disney did HP they would have killed it much better than Uni...just saying

HA!
Ignore anything to do with who has what characters. Instead: who has the best ride systems?
If Disney would have done anything impressive with HP, why hasn't it utilized that tech on something else? There is NOTHING at WDW that can come close to Uni's revolutionary FJ ride system. Disney has been losing that battle since the day Spider-Man opened.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom