What is most likely to be built between 7DMT and Avatar?

RSoxNo1

But most of those rides were to fill out a recently built park. Pirates, Space Mtn, and Big Thunder for MK, JII and Horizons, Living Seas for Epcot, TofT and RnRC for MGM(DHS), Kilimanjaro and Everest for AK. The only real expansion rides to established parks were Splash Mtn and Soarin (Space replaced Horizon). So now New Fantasy Land has replaced the long extinct 20k Leagues and Snow White with LM and 7D. In a few years there will be Avatar and eventually Star Wars. The pattern is really no different than the last 40 years.

Also remember, Universal is tearing down or retheaming for many of their new rides. Any time Disney does this, the fans revolt. A large population of adults like taking their kids to Disney to experience the same shows and rides they did as a kid. Universal does not have that same nestalgia so they keep reinventing themselves. Harry Potter was obviously a big boon for them, but it has not been proved yet if all of their other investments will yield similar results.
Universal doesn't have to contend with a rabid fanbase that cries when an attraction is removed or changed. They've finally realized that they can leverage this as a means of keeping their parks fresh. On the other hand, Disney isn't taking advantage of the dead space that exists in all four of it's theme parks to maintain their freshness.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here is what the DVC haters on this site just can not understand. Even if every DVC room was empty Disney would not lose money. The construction is paid for when the resort is sold. The maintenance is paid for by the members dues. Disney makes big bucks by moving quest into DVC rooms paid for by the members and freeing up rooms so they do not have to invest in additional resort hotels. This allows for larger number of guest (both DVC and non-DVC) to stay on park and spend money on tickets, food, souvenirs, etc. So because of DVC, Disney should have more capital investment money to spend on the parks and not less. It is just up to Disney and the stock holders where they spend their cash.

BryceM

Star Tour 2.0 is clearly a new attraction as is Under the Sea with Nemo. If updates don't count, Universal only has two new attractions since IOA opened, Harry Potter and The Forbidden Journey and Transformers. Even Diagon Alley is replacing Jaws.
I surely hope you're not trying to argue that Diagon Alley won't count as a new attraction cause it's using the same land that Jaws used.

And what about Revenge of the Mummy, Men In Black: Alien Attack, Flying Unicorn, Storm Force Acceletron, Hollywood Rip Ride RockIt, Despicable Me (a re-theme), The Simpsons Ride (a re-theme), Disaster!, etc.?

Re-themes definitely count as new attractions. I would not count Star Tours 2.0 as a new attraction, since it was just a plussing like what Spider-Man got. I would, however, count Test Track 2.0 as one.

Bairstow

Arguments about refrubs and rethemes aside, the point is that Disney World hasn't gotten an actual E-ticket since 2006. Worse, no new e-tickets are set to open before 2017, making this by far the largest attraction drought in the resort's history.

...unless we're all terribly underestimating the scope of the mine train, but having seen the finished animatronics firsthand, I think this is unlikely.

Disney Fan Dan

Yes we were averaging a new attraction about once a year up until around 2008, then the stock market declined. Even though the stock market has improved since, I think Disney would be hesitant to put that kind of money down at the pace they were at before the recession.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Fact is the company profits are up, prices have gone up, visitor numbers are up...there is no reason for them to be timid about spending money at Walt Disney World when the freely spend on other parks like Hong Kong and Shanghai...

Fact is the company profits are up, prices have gone up, visitor numbers are up...there is no reason for them to spend major money improving WDW.... ;)

Sped2424

Arguments about refrubs and rethemes aside, the point is that Disney World hasn't gotten an actual E-ticket since 2006. Worse, no new e-tickets are set to open before 2017, making this by far the largest attraction drought in the resort's history.

...unless we're all terribly underestimating the scope of the mine train, but having seen the finished animatronics firsthand, I think this is unlikely.
You saw them? Where?

the_claw

Universal doesn't have to contend with a rabid fanbase that cries when an attraction is removed or changed. They've finally realized that they can leverage this as a means of keeping their parks fresh. On the other hand, Disney isn't taking advantage of the dead space that exists in all four of it's theme parks to maintain their freshness.

This is completely true and they also have differing markets to cater for. Uni guests are tweens and young adults who like to be flung about by roller coasters etc whereas Disney is focused on the family. Parents taking their kids to a place where you cant see the outside world and its problems and somewhere families can come together and be a proper family for a few days, weeks whatever. Secondly, Disney has a loyal fanbase, these forums prove this, and yes we get annoyed about the lack of new attractions, the promotion of DVC and restrooms but lets face it, we all love what Disney does and we all go there, spend our money regardless of the complaints we have.

Yes, there is a lot of dead space but FLE cost Disney an absolute fortune and the only way to balance the books is to do things over a 5/6 year period to keep shareholders happy!! Also, we all know that if Disney did HP they would have killed it much better than Uni...just saying

the_claw

Fact is the company profits are up, prices have gone up, visitor numbers are up...there is no reason for them to be timid about spending money at Walt Disney World when the freely spend on other parks like Hong Kong and Shanghai...

Hong Kong and Shanghai are outsourced Disney companies funded by local agencies, Disney probably dont pay for a lot, they simply have their name over the door

Voxel

President of Progress City
What hurts Disney is that most of the big share holders and board member find the parks a terrible expense that if they could they would get rid of sometimes. And it doesn't help that Iger doesn't always fight for the parks. Alot of the share holders and Big wigs have forgotten that the parks are what truly connects the company to the people and that the parks have lead to a love for Disney then many of the films have. I have hopes that the new CEO (who ever it may be) will fight for the parks.

TalkingHead

This is completely true and they also have differing markets to cater for. Uni guests are tweens and young adults who like to be flung about by roller coasters etc whereas Disney is focused on the family.

Tell that to the many elementary-school-age kids I saw in line for Transformers, Potter, and the Simpsons last weekend. The "Uni is for tweens and young adults" line is outdated.

Also, we all know that if Disney did HP they would have killed it much better than Uni...just saying

Haha, you're kidding, right? The Disney plan for HP was Midway Mania with magic wands.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No I HAVE not??? It was mentioned here by regular DVC people that the rooms stay empty half the time??? I don't use DVC??? I have no desire TO buy timeshares??? But that is JUST me??? Calm down A little??? You are THE only person I have seen say that the rooms are booked up??? If they are THEN okay???
The rooms are booked up. No question marks needed. Most of the WDW DVCs run above 95% occupancy. The only exception is probably SSR which is huge and OKW which is also pretty big and a little old. The high occupancy rates actually impact the ability to perform maintenance on some rooms since they are always full.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Tell that to the many elementary-school-age kids I saw in line for Transformers, Potter, and the Simpsons last weekend. The "Uni is for tweens and young adults" line is outdated.

Haha, you're kidding, right? The Disney plan for HP was Midway Mania with magic wands.

Actually, Not gonna lie I would have loved a ride where I had a wand and got to use spells at targets, It would be a dream come true for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom