What is left of EPCOT Center?

misfitdoll

Original Poster
How is that for a loaded question? :D

Some context:
We had plans to go see Future World one more time this weekend, flying in to Orlando tomorrow morning and and flying home on Monday. Obviously we need to reschedule. This was supposed to be a very special trip for my daughter who conquered some big fears and trichotillomania this past year, and she adores Future World. She is absolutely fascinated by the original EPCOT Center, particularly Dreamfinder, Figment, and Buzzy (see my profile pic) and the original pavilions. As Future World will be gone/changed soon, we wanted to let her do and see everything remaining that she can. I know there is a four hour backstage tour available for guests 16 and older, but is there anything for younger fans? She just turned eleven, but is extremely intelligent, respectful, and curious. What is still open and operating? Are they keeping everything as-is until October 1, or are things tapering off? I am on hold with guest services now, and want to make sure I am informed for our rescheduled trip.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A lot of Spaceship Earth is similar to opening day. Same as Living with the Land. Showcase is has a lot more connected to the past; Gran Fiesta Tour is similar to El Rio Del Tiempo sans content. Impressions de France is the same footage shown in 1982. American Adventure is a very much verbatim updated version of the original.

trainplane3

A good chunk of stuff in the center of the park will be closing in about one week. September 7th is the last day of operation for Fountain of Nations and all of Innoventions (or Communicore) West. Walls and demo work will probably go up soon after that. East will have until the end of the year before stuff starts changing but the building will remain.

Imagination doesn't really have much left sadly. The jumping fountains are still up there though. If she loves Figment then she'll probably still like the ride, however it's no where near what it used to be.

Odyssey will be opening on October 1st with a whole preview center for the upcoming Epcot overhaul.

A small, nerdy detail she might like if she's into really old Epcot Center stuff. Check out the planter in front of Mission: Space. It's the original Horizons planter and is also in the shape of the former pavilion, just backwards.

misfitdoll

Original Poster
A lot of Spaceship Earth is similar to opening day. Same as Living with the Land. Showcase is has a lot more connected to the past; Gran Fiesta Tour is similar to El Rio Del Tiempo sans content. Impressions de France is the same footage shown in 1982. American Adventure is a very much verbatim updated version of the original.

We will definitely get in another ride of Spaceship Earth before it goes down for refurb. Thank you for reminding me that Impressions de France is the same! Will make sure to prioritize that. Sidenote: my daughter looked over my shoulder and said, "MARNI replied?!?!?" with her mouth open. You are practically a celebrity!

A good chunk of stuff in the center of the park will be closing in about one week. September 7th is the last day of operation for Fountain of Nations and all of Innoventions (or Communicore) West. Walls and demo work will probably go up soon after that. East will have until the end of the year before stuff starts changing but the building will remain.

Imagination doesn't really have much left sadly. The jumping fountains are still up there though. If she loves Figment then she'll probably still like the ride, however it's no where near what it used to be.

Odyssey will be opening on October 1st with a whole preview center for the upcoming Epcot overhaul.

A small, nerdy detail she might like if she's into really old Epcot Center stuff. Check out the planter in front of Mission: Space. It's the original Horizons planter and is also in the shape of the former pavilion, just backwards.

View attachment 403287

Yes to all of this! Small nerdy details are exactly what she is after! Thank you! It's funny-- we have been to WDW probably 6-7 times, Tokyo Disney, and DLP, but this EPCOT Center obsession *just* started during our last trip in 2018. She has read everything she can get her hands on about it, including a big old out-of-print book. She just can't believe something so cool actually existed. And I get it. I was fortunate enough to go to the original EPCOT Center in 1987 and 1994, but I was born in 83, so my memories of it all are sort of dreamlike.

We are actually going to arrive at WDW on September 5th (just got off of a two hour phone call getting the resort room switched over) so we will be there in time for nerdy details galore. I am so glad! Anything else or any other significant views that will be gone? Maybe most looking forward to Illuminations, which I haven't seen since I was a child. Every time we visit EPCOT my three kids are too tired (from arriving at rope drop) to stay for the fireworks! This time, I insist.

trainplane3

So silly things to look for. You have the air conditioned hallway (ok, that's a joke), the lights in the ground outside West, Club Cool (not a secret but easy to overlook to some and free drinks!), and the scientist circle.

The lights that can be easily overlooked by most:
wiz19Jb.jpg

What's going away? Nearly all of the center (and possibly SSE's post-show area):

Something else to look for, the Communicore logo behind a sign:
DatelineDisneyWorld09252013-IMG_5539.jpg

I'm not certain of the location but obviously it's in the core area. Could be a fun little game. (as long as it's still there)

Attachments

• e1.PNG
    e1.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 90

UNCgolf

While the Living Seas is obviously very different from the old Seabase Alpha, I think the aquarium tanks themselves are more or less identical to the originals (I could be wrong). I really miss the hydrolators; as a kid (I think I was 5 or 6 the first time I went to EPCOT) I remember truly believing we actually went under the ocean. I haven't been in the Coral Reef since that first trip, but although I'm sure the interior has changed, it's still an original restaurant. I doubt you're looking for that, though.

The Electric Umbrella is another place that isn't from the original EPCOT Center, but is basically the same as it was when it first opened in 1994 (when EPCOT was still EPCOT, at least to me) -- at least to my recollection. Again, I could be wrong, but I know I went in there last year and it actually made me happy because of the nostalgia.

Figments Friend

Be sure to spend some time seeking out and admiring the very few truly beautiful 'EPCOT Center' murals that still exsist.
These have remained for the most part untouched since Opening Day.
Far too many have disappeared over the years such as the Original Imagination Pavilion mural, The Land 'surreal sky' ceiling mural, Universe of Energy's massive 'energy explosion' tile mural, Horizons 'The Prologue & The Promise' futuristic exit mural, etc.

Those few that are still present in the Park ( at the moment ) -

The Land - Two massive tile and fine stone murals, designed to simulate the layers of the Earth
Located at the entrance to the Pavlion, flanking each side.
See if you can find the artists' 'signature' on one side, a single green stone.
It is the only difference between the two sides.

The Land - Surreal 'carpeted walls' mural, inside the entrance of what was once the Pavilions' show theater.
The films 'Symbiosis' and later on 'Circle of Life' once played here.
Now closed to Guests, you still might be able to see part of the mural from the entryway as you pass.

Spaceship Earth - Massive hand painted mural located at the entrance, just before you board your vehicle.
Against a deep cobalt blue setting, the artwork depicts mankind's communication progress throughout the ages.

-

mouse_luv

View attachment 403287
It's my understanding that as of last weekend/early this week that walls were already going up/were up over by Mouse Gears, etc. There were accounts on twitter and instagram posting the photos.

trainplane3

It's my understanding that as of last weekend/early this week that walls were already going up/were up over by Mouse Gears, etc. There were accounts on twitter and instagram posting the photos.
That is correct but the walls over at East are for pathway expansion as of right now. Part of the walls by West were for pathway expansion and are down as of today. There are walls by the Seas behind West and partially by Wests rear entrance.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The Stargate restaurant was rethemed to the Electric Umbrella in 94, but the theme of fairly mediocre food has been successfully carried through the years. Speaking of restaurants, if you forcibly evict the rodents, you can recreate The Good Turn. The best way to evict the little bastards is to push them over the railing and into the boat ride. In my experience that gets rid of the characters for upwards of 22 minutes. You'll probably have to pay someone else to do the physical part since authorities show up quickly. Another easy way to recreate some of that old Epcot feeling is to hold a cardboard square in front of your face every time Martin short appears in Canada movie. Perhaps, of interest to some is the wormhole that exists in the seldom used bathrooms behind the Imagination pavilion (very rarely used especially since 19 guests a day ride the dark ride during its operational hours of 11:30-11:45). However, using the Mayan calendar, I have been able to correctly predict the appearance of this wormhole. If any wants to join me at 10:19 AM on 10/13, we will have 33 minutes to experience EPCOT Center starting at 2:21 PM on 06/21/1987. I also know that a 17 year old version of myself will be in the park at that moment, so we'll have to avoid Canada (I was going through a phase where I was trying to buy a little flag from each WS pavilion country). I should also issue a warning. There is another guy who talks of wormholes in bathrooms and I learned the hard way that he doesn't have much of a background in physics, so to speak.

misfitdoll

Original Poster
The Stargate restaurant was rethemed to the Electric Umbrella in 94, but the theme of fairly mediocre food has been successfully carried through the years. Speaking of restaurants, if you forcibly evict the rodents, you can recreate The Good Turn. The best way to evict the little bastards is to push them over the railing and into the boat ride. In my experience that gets rid of the characters for upwards of 22 minutes. You'll probably have to pay someone else to do the physical part since authorities show up quickly. Another easy way to recreate some of that old Epcot feeling is to hold a cardboard square in front of your face every time Martin short appears in Canada movie. Perhaps, of interest to some is the wormhole that exists in the seldom used bathrooms behind the Imagination pavilion (very rarely used especially since 19 guests a day ride the dark ride during its operational hours of 11:30-11:45). However, using the Mayan calendar, I have been able to correctly predict the appearance of this wormhole. If any wants to join me at 10:19 AM on 10/13, we will have 33 minutes to experience EPCOT Center starting at 2:21 PM on 06/21/1987. I also know that a 17 year old version of myself will be in the park at that moment, so we'll have to avoid Canada (I was going through a phase where I was trying to buy a little flag from each WS pavilion country). I should also issue a warning. There is another guy who talks of wormholes in bathrooms and I learned the hard way that he doesn't have much of a background in physics, so to speak.

Not exactly helpful, really, but a super entertaining response. :D By the way-- we are neighbors! We are in downtown Carmel. ;-)

misfitdoll

Original Poster
Thank you! I haven't seen those lights in years and forgot they are a thing. Will certainly look for all of this. Thank you so much!!!

So silly things to look for. You have the air conditioned hallway (ok, that's a joke), the lights in the ground outside West, Club Cool (not a secret but easy to overlook to some and free drinks!), and the scientist circle.
View attachment 403406
The lights that can be easily overlooked by most:
wiz19Jb.jpg

What's going away? Nearly all of the center (and possibly SSE's post-show area):
View attachment 403409

Something else to look for, the Communicore logo behind a sign:
DatelineDisneyWorld09252013-IMG_5539.jpg

I'm not certain of the location but obviously it's in the core area. Could be a fun little game. (as long as it's still there)

Figments Friend

I forgot to mention in my post above another 'EPCOT Center' original that is still present....or at least was a couple of years ago.
Outside of The Land Pavilion, one can still hear the original audio loop.
Someone may be able to confirm from a more recent visit if this is still true...

This surprised me on a visit i made a few years ago, and i couldn't believe my ears when i heard it.
Sounded like a 8-track player in the bushes....it was surreal and wonderfully 'retro EPCOT'.
The interior of the Pavilion plays the current 'various uplifting / flight inspired movie themes' but outside was pure 1982 audio bliss.
:)

Here it is here -

-

trainplane3

I forgot to mention in my post above another 'EPCOT Center' original that is still present....or at least was a couple of years ago.
Outside of The Land Pavilion, one can still hear the original audio loop.
Someone may be able to confirm from a more recent visit if this is still true...

This surprised me on a visit i made a few years ago, and i couldn't believe my ears when i heard it.
Sounded like a 8-track player in the bushes....it was surreal and wonderfully 'retro EPCOT'.
The interior of the Pavilion plays the current 'various uplifting / flight inspired movie themes' but outside was pure 1982 audio bliss.
:)

Here it is here -

-

Confirming it's still used as of July. And it still sounds just as great as ever. And like someone above mentioned, the Imagination bathrooms still use the beautiful 1982 Imagination loop and not weird 99/02 loop thing.
Thank you! I haven't seen those lights in years and forgot they are a thing. Will certainly look for all of this. Thank you so much!!!
No problem! The lights aren't Epcot Center original but they are something that can be overlooked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom