What is left of EPCOT Center?

BoarderPhreak

This scene, outside of the France pavilion. I've made it almost a mission to photograph it on every visit, LOL.

i.php

The aforementioned "air conditioned hallway" of Communicore:

i.php

One of the remaining murals by the entrance, home of Daisy:

i.php

Some lights in front of ol' Communicore:

i.php

The trains in Germany (not long for this world if Brazil moves in):

i.php

The Fountain of Nations, coming to a dumpster near you...

i.php

Another one of the last murals left, this one in front of SSE:

i.php

This popcorn joint...

i.php

Balloons in The Land remain largely untouched:

i.php

The Horizons planter in front of MS:

i.php

tirian

Thank you! I haven't seen those lights in years and forgot they are a thing. Will certainly look for all of this. Thank you so much!!!

I realize it’s silly to insist you visit an air-conditioned hallway, but when you stand in there and look out the soaring glass windows toward the Imagination and Land pavilions in FW West, you get an idea of how massive and inspiring EPCOT Center felt. The tall ceilings, glass walls, manicured gardens, ponds, and pavilions jutting out the ground combined into an emotional response that was greater than the sum of its parts. The view from the hallway makes a big difference.

This is the same approach Apple has been applying to its newest stores. If you’ve been in the one in Chicago, giant glass walls frame a riverfront view, and the real trees inside soften the cold tech. Apple acts as if their aesthetic is unique, but WDI did it in 1982.

tirian

This scene, outside of the France pavilion. I've made it almost a mission to photograph it on every visit, LOL.

i.php

The aforementioned "air conditioned hallway" of Communicore:

i.php

i.php

Some lights in front of ol' Communicore:

i.php

The trains in Germany (not long for this world if Brazil moves in):

i.php

The Fountain of Nations, coming to a dumpster near you...

i.php

Another one of the last murals left, this one in front of SSE:

i.php

This popcorn joint...

i.php
Believe it or not, Daisy’s mural is relatively new! But it is a reprint of the original EPCOT Center concept art, and therefore technically part of its past.

Figments Friend

i.php

Balloons in The Land remain largely untouched:

i.php

A couple of observations -

These two items mentioned above were not present during EPCOT Center's early period and are both fairly recent additions.
Both were added in roughly the mid 2000s, so they don't make 'the list' in some respects.
They DO however both harken back to that early EPCOT Center period, but neither of them are bonified exsisting relics of that Park's history.

The 'mural' used for a photo backdrop in the entrance plaza is a modern printed graphic image made to look 'retro'.
It was artistically inspired by the design used for the early EPCOT Center Commemorative Ticket stubs, from 1981.
Shown here -

The photo backdrop was added back in 2008 or 2009.....cannot recall the exact year.
But it is a recent addition and not 'original'.

The Land's hot air balloons , as they appear today, are also not 'original' ones from years prior.
The originals were removed, repainted and resigned during the Pavilions' refresh back between 2004 and 2005.
They were painted in the shops over at Hollywood Studios during the time the Pavilion was having a general interior revamp done.
When they were re-installed, they became non-moving.
The original set used to slowly move up and down.

Pair of photos showing the differences :

1982 original moving balloons -
Gawd, i SO miss that amazing ceiling mural !

Today's version of the hot air balloons in The Land -

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

...The photo backdrop was added back in 2008 or 2009.....cannot recall the exact year.
But it is a recent addition and not 'original'.

The Land's hot air balloons , as they appear today, are also not 'original' ones from years prior...
I hadn't noticed the front mural (or Daisy for that matter) before, so yeah... I can believe it's not original.

As for The Land, yes. Lots of things changed (including the balloons) when it was "renovated." It brightened things up, but it was a real loss, IMO.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I hadn't noticed the front mural (or Daisy for that matter) before, so yeah... I can believe it's not original.

As for The Land, yes. Lots of things changed (including the balloons) when it was "renovated." It brightened things up, but it was a real loss, IMO.

I believe I took a photo of it years ago, before it became a meet and greet backdrop. If memory serves (and many times it doesn't these days), I took it at night as we were walking out of the park.

The Empress Lilly

I realize it’s silly to insist you visit an air-conditioned hallway, but when you stand in there and look out the soaring glass windows toward the Imagination and Land pavilions in FW West, you get an idea of how massive and inspiring EPCOT Center felt. The tall ceilings, glass walls, manicured gardens, ponds, and pavilions jutting out the ground combined into an emotional response that was greater than the sum of its parts. The view from the hallway makes a big difference.

This is the same approach Apple has been applying to its newest stores. If you’ve been in the one in Chicago, giant glass walls frame a riverfront view, and the real trees inside soften the cold tech. Apple acts as if their aesthetic is unique, but WDI did it in 1982.
Silly?

I took a trip to EPCOT two weeks ago just to say goodbye to CommuniCore. I spend one whole day, my last day, swooning over the architecture. Just swooning over CC West, that is. Seeing it one last time from every angle, inside and out. I waited for an empty moment to make my last walk through the hallway, because I'm bad at goodbyes and knew how teary-eyed I'd be. :'(

Figments Friend

The Symbiosis carpets in The Land can be visited right now during Food&Swine Festival.

Whoa!
Really...??
😲

Fantastic!!!
I regretted not being able to get some good quality photos of those gorgeous carpeted walls, but now I have my chance!
I'm in town in about two weeks, and will definitely be stopping in.
Thank you for mentioning this, and bringing it to my attention!
:)

-

TalkingHead

I recall the area between the bus stop and the front gate being vintage. Are there restrooms over there that play EPCOT background music?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom