What if Disney went dry......

Hoopsters

Dry as in no alcohol! Obviously this isnt a proposal, petition, or soapbox (I enjoy a nice beer or cocktail) but how would you feel IF it did happen. The reason I ask is that over the last 5-10 years, drinking has found a way into many facets of the parks. Of course there has always been wine and beer with meals, the WS, and later Food and Wine, etc etc but this past trip around Christmas left my jaw open. I mean I like a beer and trying new craft beers whenever I can but it seemed like Epcot had a temporary beer, wine, or liquor booth every 50 yards. IMO it’s too much of a good thing and feels totally forced.
So if Disney were to reverse roles and pull alcohol from the parks, I personally wouldn’t miss it. Of course a simpler pairing back is preferred so it wouldnt be so in your face, but I could live without. I’m just curious how people would see the parks without the option to drink.
Hope everyone is off to a good weekend!
Matt
Last May was the first time I had been to WDW since Feb. 2011, and what a difference! It felt like the first day after Prohibition had been repealed. Alcohol was everywhere with the exception of MK. It was very redundant. I am no prude, and may have a drink on the weekend, but WDW has gone overboard. It was the first time I noticed people that were obviously drunk (and with their kids!) and that's not a good look for WDW. My DD19 wanted a slushy beverage and we had to go to three carts/booths to finally find a non-alcoholic version. I get it alcoholic drinks are cheap to make and make a good profit, but it's too much.
P.S. The avocado margarita at the Mexico Pavilion was amazing!

Darth_Wes

I enjoy having drinks in the park. The Baseline taphouse is one of my favorite stops in WDW. That being said, it's not a deal breaker, but I would prefer it to stay. Epcot and HS are my favorite parks because of the access to a good beer every now and then.

SeaCastle

Last May was the first time I had been to WDW since Feb. 2011, and what a difference! It felt like the first day after Prohibition had been repealed. Alcohol was everywhere with the exception of MK. It was very redundant. I am no prude, and may have a drink on the weekend, but WDW has gone overboard. It was the first time I noticed people that were obviously drunk (and with their kids!) and that's not a good look for WDW. My DD19 wanted a slushy beverage and we had to go to three carts/booths to finally find a non-alcoholic version. I get it alcoholic drinks are cheap to make and make a good profit, but it's too much.
P.S. The avocado margarita at the Mexico Pavilion was amazing!

It does seem like the availability of alcoholic beverages has proliferated within my past few visits. IMO there is a big difference between having alcoholic beverages available in certain locations/areas vs having them be so ubiquitous and it appears to be the latter. The parks definitely should offer alcohol but how they came to be offered at so many snack stands and casual joints makes it seem like they are definitely trying too hard to push the product. And once they open up that revenue stream it's pretty hard to voluntarily turn off the tap, so to speak. Considering that the parks had more strictly limited alcohol sales as a manner of policy you now have legions of F&B managers whose revenues increased as a result of offering alcohol- why would you give that up?

That being said I would be totally against an all out prohibition not just because people will be drunk at the parks anyway, but in my experience I've found that dry areas tend to lack in food service offering quality because folks that want an alcohol beverage with their meal will go elsewhere. It's the case in one of our resort towns at home at the Jersey Shore that is totally dry (no sales or BYOB) and there are relatively few places to eat for dinner because those options can't compete with nearby towns that serve liquor. I highly doubt Skipper Cantina or BOG would be open in MK if it were not for that prohibition being lifted.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
If Disney went dry, it would be a teeny blip on my radar because I've had exactly 1 drink containing alcohol since I began visiting as an adult in 1979.

clarabellej

I fully agree with the OP and feel the alcohol has gotten out of hand. It got out of hand a long time ago. It has ruined Epcot IMO. Epcot now = the Drink Around the World destination. Fun if you are a responsible adult just having a good time/not so fun when you have young impressionable kids with you and feel like you are outnumbered by said adults. Really not fun if you were in the Duffy line (a few years back) with your young teenage daughter and her friend and had drunk men behind you making obnoxious comments. Just take a wander into the Ladies restroom in Germany. Not a pretty place in the evening. Or below the restaurant in Japan. Outside the huge shop. Actually, I don’t know why I am naming specific places, anywhere you go in Epcot in the evening is a drunken disaster. Not fun when you drag your husband to Disney for some quality time with your five year old and the older daughter’s boyfriend locates some beer in WS. This was a very long time ago (15 years maybe?). Probably the first time I noticed alcohol at Disney. It was such a turn off and a disappointment. I was there to enjoy my child and time in the parks. The boyfriend was just itching for a drink. My daughter later broke off their long time relationship. He has since turned into a bloated red faced person on Facebook. Not to get too dark, but sadly there are people who go off the deep end when they drink. That spoils it for everyone else. Not my idea of family friendly and that is what I would like Disney to be. They’ll never do away with it now, bc it brings in $$$$$. And it doesn’t stay in the restaurants, it is carried all over the parks. I’d like to know the stats on how many unruly sloppy drunken incidents happen, particularly at Epcot. I do not drink at all and haven’t for years because my husband does all the drinking and has ruined it for me. I know that is TMI, but I mention it as an explanation for my strong opposition. It can get old really quick. It doesn’t belong in the Disney parks. Save it for a bar. I am glad this was posted and I think it has become a real problem.

Hockey89

I fully agree with the OP and feel the alcohol has gotten out of hand. It got out of hand a long time ago. It has ruined Epcot IMO. Epcot now = the Drink Around the World destination. Fun if you are a responsible adult just having a good time/not so fun when you have young impressionable kids with you and feel like you are outnumbered by said adults. Really not fun if you were in the Duffy line (a few years back) with your young teenage daughter and her friend and had drunk men behind you making obnoxious comments. Just take a wander into the Ladies restroom in Germany. Not a pretty place in the evening. Or below the restaurant in Japan. Outside the huge shop. Actually, I don’t know why I am naming specific places, anywhere you go in Epcot in the evening is a drunken disaster. Not fun when you drag your husband to Disney for some quality time with your five year old and the older daughter’s boyfriend locates some beer in WS. This was a very long time ago (15 years maybe?). Probably the first time I noticed alcohol at Disney. It was such a turn off and a disappointment. I was there to enjoy my child and time in the parks. The boyfriend was just itching for a drink. My daughter later broke off their long time relationship. He has since turned into a bloated red faced person on Facebook. Not to get too dark, but sadly there are people who go off the deep end when they drink. That spoils it for everyone else. Not my idea of family friendly and that is what I would like Disney to be. They’ll never do away with it now, bc it brings in $$$$$. And it doesn’t stay in the restaurants, it is carried all over the parks. I’d like to know the stats on how many unruly sloppy drunken incidents happen, particularly at Epcot. I do not drink at all and haven’t for years because my husband does all the drinking and has ruined it for me. I know that is TMI, but I mention it as an explanation for my strong opposition. It can get old really quick. It doesn’t belong in the Disney parks. Save it for a bar. I am glad this was posted and I think it has become a real problem.
I've been to Epcot a million times and never had one issue with one person... It isn't a problem.

OneofThree

I've been to Epcot a million times and never had one issue with one person... It isn't a problem.

While the last, forgive me, diatribe, is extreme to the point of inaccurate IMO, the truth is somewhere in between. As a long time resident, I can tell you EC is often a mess in the evenings during F&W. Not to the point of "problems" as you say, for most adults, but definitely problematic given the family environment expected of Disney parks. Still, I do not see going dry as the answer.

Hockey89

While the last, forgive me, diatribe, is extreme to the point of inaccurate IMO, the truth is somewhere in between. As a long time resident, I can tell you EC is often a mess in the evenings during F&W. Not to the point of "problems" as you say, for most adults, but definitely problematic given the family environment expected of Disney parks. Still, I do not see going dry as the answer.
I believe you.... I just find it hard to believe, that it is the end of times, as someone who has spent a ton of time at Epcot and not once witnessed a problem. This thread is finger wagging and it is insufferable. There is way larger problem of parents not controlling their kids, people staring at their phones as they walk into you, the fn scooters that run you over, taken pics when they shouldn't ect ect...

clarabellej

Dry as in no alcohol! Obviously this isnt a proposal, petition, or soapbox (I enjoy a nice beer or cocktail) but how would you feel IF it did happen. The reason I ask is that over the last 5-10 years, drinking has found a way into many facets of the parks. Of course there has always been wine and beer with meals, the WS, and later Food and Wine, etc etc but this past trip around Christmas left my jaw open. I mean I like a beer and trying new craft beers whenever I can but it seemed like Epcot had a temporary beer, wine, or liquor booth every 50 yards. IMO it’s too much of a good thing and feels totally forced.
So if Disney were to reverse roles and pull alcohol from the parks, I personally wouldn’t miss it. Of course a simpler pairing back is preferred so it wouldnt be so in your face, but I could live without. I’m just curious how people would see the parks without the option to drink.
Matt
You mean just the parks? Yeah, that's fine. Now, correct me if I am wrong but does Magic Kingdom still not serve any alcohol at restaurants? As far as I know it doesn't. Even the fancier restaurants in there don't, I don't think at least.

I am not much of a drinker. I bought some Caesars at the beginning of the summer and just finished them up the other day. I was at a campfire last week and had a beer but hadn't had one in about 4-5 months. We were at the parks last year for about two weeks and I honestly don't think I had a single drink. My wife had a glass of wine at the Boardwalk in the ESPN restaurant and we had a few Pina Colodas back at our unit but that's it. Outside of my room, nothing.

It is alright if Epcot has it though. It is the more adult park and the Food and Wine festival is still a big deal. Obviously people need to be adults about it and remember they are in a public place, but yeah leave it there. I am fine with the rest of the parks being dry. Disney Springs, the Boardwalk and places like that can have drinks.
It is served in MK restaurants now. Walt was a drinker and yet possibly for that reason, he did not allow it in the parks. And no, it is not okay in Epcot! Please read my post. It has ruined Epcot, IMO. Why does Epcot need to become a playground for drunk adults??

clarabellej

Nothing like walking with your niece to go see the Epcot ball and some drunk dude throwing up in the bushes.
So true!!!!! The last few times I was in Epcot it became unbearable in the evenings. Very sad IMO. And anyone out there who says they have not run across the effects of too much alcohol, particularly in Epcot must have blinders on or a drink in their hand.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
We don't drink much there. I can see both sides:
- It's fine to consume legal alcohol on vacation in a safe bubble like WDW when the private property owner and regulation agrees
-Alcohol is everywhere in WDW and not many places exist to escape its obviousness for a person abstaining or in recovery

Decisions are likely based on overall experience spread across all guests. The discomfort of a few vs the legal enjoyment of many. Negative impacts are not drastic enough for WDW to change, especially weighed against the desire of many to spend drink money. For me, alcohol has not proven detrimental to the parks as of yet. The kids are fine, the adults are fine and a few goofy college students maybe should watch their mouths. Maybe I just haven't witnessed enough of it yet?

OneofThree

I believe you.... I just find it hard to believe, that it is the end of times, as someone who has spent a ton of time at Epcot and not once witnessed a problem. This thread is finger wagging and it is insufferable. There is way larger problem of parents not controlling their kids, people staring at their phones as they walk into you, the fn scooters that run you over, taken pics when they shouldn't ect ect...

Here's what I can offer on that:

I've got 5 kids, one as young as 3. Our trips to EC during F&W include ones with the whole family as well as those where it's just my wife and myself. What I "see", pay attention to, or care about is very different depending on whether I'm parenting or not. The reality is that a family atmosphere is much different than a pointedly adult atmosphere, whether Disney or anywhere else. Which is why as a rule, the two are separated elsewhere.

KimAnnFran

Matt
I preferred it dry honestly.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Food & Wine is a popular example probably because that's the worst offender. But it's billed as food, and wine! That's not to say anything goes but there's an expectation of a looser atmosphere. Not everybody likes that, some do.

My grandfather used to call party days "Celebrating". These were holidays or birthdays where the family would drink wine, let loose and have fun. Bonding with family and friends happened there. It was part of our culture for generations. When I was young adult and he thought I was drinking too much every weekend, he'd admonish me by saying, "I think you're doing too much 'celebrating'." Yeah Pops, I was celebrating at Food and Wine, and he'd be okay with that one because it was the right time and place.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

I watch WESH news, its par for the course....

barrymoss

If WDW went dry, it would lose a lot of money on the parks. Remember when September-mid-November was a slow season? Now with the F&W festival, there is no slow season. Booking DVC is jump on the computer 11 months out if you want to get a studio. And all those out-of-towners that are filling up the hotels during F&W are going to the other parks as well.

For myself personally, I've been coming to F&W for nearly 20 years, usually for a 10-16 day stay. Now I have cut back to every second year recently, because the F&W festival has really been declining and going to other festivals or wine country, but if it wasn't around, I might firesafe off the DVC and only come every 4th year to get my fix of the rides. I think there would be lots more like me that make special trips for F&W and just wouldn't come as often, plus remember all the full serve restaurants in Epcot that would take a major hit on sales if the park went dry (more so than the other parks). But don't worry--it won't happen anytime soon. A bunch of the restaurants in Epcot (and Animal Kingdom to a lesser extent) are run by outside vendors and if Disney decided to suddenly go dry, I'm sure they would be in breach on contract.

Now if MK went completely dry again, I'd be fine with that. I certainly don't need to drink at every meal and most meals I do not. In fact, I think I've only had a glass of wine at BoG once since the policy changed. And it would be much better if Disney didn't push the alcohol as much with outdoor stands and more responsible serving to eliminate the drunk guests. But dry would probably send WDW into a local recession.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom