What If… Disney Parks Edition Game Thread

ThemeParkPriest

I hope to look at some of the other team projects and cdunlap’s final project (probably not too surprising given his interests) later today. I will tease my own final project: it would probably be more fitting for someone else on the forum to make it their final project…

ThemeParkPriest

1691363041284.png
Yesterland

Adventureland
"A world of exotic and whimsical experiences"

Welcome to Adventureland here at Yesterland.com. Each day, citizens of Disneyland head to this perilous land for a taste of the exotic grandeur and whimsical experiences found in this area. Perhaps you could take a ride on the gentle Jungle Cruise to your doom, as a Skipper does their best to make you laugh at their punny jokes (or them).

1691368000774.png

This could be you

Maybe you could explore the Temple of the Lost Eye with Indiana Jones and ride to your doom as a large boulder rolls toward you.

Behind the Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland

Or sit down at the Enchanted Tiki Room with a refreshing Dole Whip of your choice. There are so many other things to, like the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Bengal Barbecue, and other little things here at this land. Whatever it is, Adventureland is here for your Adventurous needs.

Or maybe not.

There were many problems with the land. Indiana Jones, for example, changed most of the Indiana Jones animatronics and scenes into sacrilegious screens. Tiki room featured lamentably unmoving birds. Jungle Cruise skippers had gone on a boycott due to rude guests. The Dole Whip stands began to only offer interesting flavors like vanilla and chocolate. The treehouse broke, causing a few injuries to cast members. To put it into perspective, everything had begun to fall into chaos at the land.

On November 10th, 2021, after the end of the short Covid pandemic, Disney Imagineers announced an "exciting announcement" for excited fans at the postponed D23 event. The biggest reveal was an exciting refurbishment of the land, which would feature a thrilling Jungle "Cruise"/Indiana Jones raft ride, a fully developed S.E.A. outpost, a Jungle Book dark ride, and many other offerings. But it came at a cost: the ENTIRE land was to be razed to the ground and rebuilt from the ground up. Unfortunately, many of the structures had fallen into disrepair and could not be directly remodeled or refurbished, which meant changes had to be made...

On June 28th, 2023, a refurbished Adventureland opened, and the old Adventureland moved to Yesterland. The new land at Disneyland also came with an Adventure Guide by the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, which can be viewed here.
Well done, team! Your team and my team took the prompt in very different ways. Your team tried to stay close to the current Adventureland while adding some new experiences to it, whereas my team did a major shift on theme. As a result, although you say that the land was razed, it feels like it was not razed (or at least things like the Treehouse and Tiki Room were rebuilt). Giving the Jungle Book its own dark ride (and not just a book report style one) was a good choice.
My Final Project For This: Peru Pavilion (EPCOT)
(If you’re wondering why it came out 2 days after Project 9 was announced, it's because I work very quickly solo!)
It is obvious you put your passion into this project, so you should be proud of that! Were those your own Field Notes (you don't have to answer that)? Your e-ticket of Kuzcotopia was sweet but short. I'm guessing that we are going to be judged mostly on our e-ticket. That's the challenge of including a whole pavilion--you also included info on another ride, shopping, and dining.

Brer Panther

I assume we're allowed to post our projects before 11:00, so here we go...

Prehistoric Plunge

If you asked anyone which area of Disney's Animal Kingdom needed the most work, chances are they would answer Dinoland USA. Nobody is very impressed by Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama, especially now that Primeval Whirl has been removed. And in 2020, the Imagineers began brainstorming a way to rejuvenate this section of the park. Many ideas were proposed - some of which would've removed dinosaurs from the park entirely if greenlit. Eventually, they decided to start small - add ONE new attraction to Dinoland in the spot where Primeval Whirl once stood as opposed to opening a new Dinoland USA all at once.

Now, the Imagineers realized that dinosaurs weren't the only animals that were now considered extinct. Where were all of the animals from the Stone Age? Woolly mammoths, saber-toothed tigers, cave bears, moas - those sorts of beasts? The potential was there to do something fantastic there.

1692530239161.png

And sell plush toys, too.

In January 2021, a strange structure began to take shape on the land previously occupied Primeval Whirl. Disney forums became abuzz with questions as to what the structure was going to be. Insiders on WDWMagic claimed that they'd heard the new attraction would be based on the now Disney-owned 20th Century Fox franchise Ice Age. Eventually, the structure began to look more and more like a giant glacier... much like one that you'd see in the Ice Age movies. Maybe there was some truth to the rumors. As construction continued on, fans of the parks debated whether or not an Ice Age attraction would be a good addition to Disney's Animal Kingdom.

At the D23 Convention in 2022, Disney finally announced the new attraction: Prehistoric Plunge, a flume ride that, while unrelated to the animated film franchise, would take guests through the ice age. A sigh of relief swept over those who were terrified by the OTHER rumor about Dinoland USA flying around - that the entire land would be bulldozed and replaced by a Zootopia-themed expansion. Prehistoric Plunge finally opened in May 2023 to acclaim from park-goers and critics, giving the Imagineers the greenlight to start developing more attractions to replace Dino-Rama.

I took a trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom a few days ago so I could see what all the fuss over this new attraction was about. The glacier is very impressive - if it weren't for the flume track emerging from it, it would look exactly like a real glacier. If I could describe it, I'd say it's sort of a cross between Splash Mountain and the giant glacier they had outside of Ice Station Cool at EPCOT. Remember that?

The queue winds through the glacier, and along the way there were a couple dinosaur bones and some funny vignettes. Frozen in the walls of ice were a ride vehicle and some of the plywood cutout dinos from Primevall Whirl. I thought that was a really neat reference to the attraction that Prehistoric Plunge replaced. Eventually, the ice gives way to a dimly-lit cave with prehistoric cave paintings on the walls. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some easter eggs here, too, but I didn't spot any.

I'm not one hundred percent sure what the attraction's premise was supposed to be. There's no explanation as to how entering the glacier transports you back to prehistoric times. You just have to go with it. Y'know how on the Jungle Cruise, you're able to travel from the Amazon to Africa to Asia and they never explain how it's possible? It's sort of like that.

So anyway, you finally get to the load area and climb aboard your log. Each log features four rows of two, making for a total of eight riders. There's a neat forced perspective effect here where you can see the cave opening behind you, revealing a ferocious snowstorm outside. You get in your log and after the safety spiel, off you go!

The first show scene after the load area is similar to one found in EPCOT's World of Motion. Neandrethals are on both sides of the flume. Some are gathered around a roaring fire, others are drawing on the walls. A few of them have formed a small band, using dinosaur bones as instruments - much to the annoyance of another Neandrethal who's trying to take a nap nearby.

1692530442485.png

The ride's theme song, "B.C. Safari" (an instrumental piece which uses a lot of tribal drums and rain sticks), begins to play as our log mounts a lift hill that travels through the opening of the cave. Snow falls around us as we dip down a waterfall and land in the middle of a freezing prehistoric valley. Rounding a corner, we came face to face with a dodo bird perched upon a rock. Dodos weren't exactly known for their intelligence, and this one is no exception - it doesn't notice a cave lion sneaking up behind it, growling hungrily.

1692530497912.png

Next, we encountered a pack of dire wolves, also on the hunt. They were chasing after a herd of Steppe Bison - this scene used a combination of animatronics and projections to pull off the effect of the wolves running after the bison. One wolf has managed to sink its teeth into a bison's leg. The unamused bison attempts to shake it off like you would something you just stepped in.

1692530544228.png

From there, the logs travel through a hot spring with active geysers galore. Each geyser went off as we drifted by. Suddenly, our log hurtled up another lift hill, the idea being that we've been launched into the air by another geyser. We landed on a cliff overlooking the entire valley, and we could see all sorts of prehistoric animals running around below (sort of like the moving cars effect in Peter Pan's Flight). The snow was falling harder and harder. Our log swerved around a group of glyptodons... I wouldn't be surprised if THEY were trying to get out of the snowstorm as well!

Then we saw a few more neandrethals. They all had spears, so if I had to guess, I'd say that they were hunting just like the cave lion and the dire wolves. Their target? A giant ground sloth, nonchalantly snoozing against the trunk of a tree. The Neandrethals had stacked themselves up, the one on top raising its spear... but before he could do any harm, the sloth suddenly yawned, stretching its gigantic arms and knocking the little "tower" of Neandrethals over.

1692530620042.png

A cave appears up ahead, and we head inside. Unlike the cave we were in at the beginning of the attraction, here it's so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face. We suddenly slide down another waterfall and find ourselves lured by the dim light of a flickering fire up ahead. The fire, as it turns out, is from a torch that a Neandrethal is holding. Those hunters we saw going after the sloth have wound up in the cave as well. Spears raised high into the air, their eyes dart back and forth, trying to figure out where that strange growling sound that enters our ears is coming from. The source of the growling noise makes itself known - saber-toothed tigers emerge from the darkness.

1692530677433.png

At this point, we were completely surrounded by saber-toothed tigers. I think this was another scene that used a combination of animatronics and projections, making it seem as though there were dozens and dozens of big cats. Our log mounted another lift hill as saber-toothed tigers swiped at us with their sharp claws. At the top of the lift hill, a neandrethal hunter and a saber-toothed tiger were facing off. The hunter threw his spear... but his aim was completely off, and the spear wound up hitting a pile of rocks behind the tiger. Suddenly we were caught in a rockslide, sending us falling out of the show building and down the giant glacier outside. The plunge is fifty feet tall.

At the bottom of the waterfall, we land in a pond of melting ice, soaking us good before we hurtle up another small lift hill and travel down the twisting, turning flume. We head back into the show building and encounter perhaps the most iconic prehistoric mammal of all - the woolly mammoth. In fact, a whole herd of them! A few of them spray water out of their trunks at us, giving us another opportunity to get wet. But what happened with the Neandrethals and the saber-toothed tigers?

Well, after leaving the mammoths, we come across those Neandrethal hunters again. They've climbed up a tree, clinging to the branches and hoping that the saber-toothed tigers gathered at the bottom don't climb up after them. I couldn't help but wonder if this was a reference to the Jungle Cruise. The dodo bird from before also reappears here, absent-mindedly pecking a rock. Our log pulled into the unload area, allowing us to disembark.

So that was Prehistoric Plunge. I do have a couple nitpicks about it - not much of a plot, for one - but as a whole, I thought it was pretty cool (no pun intended). I can see this definitely becoming a headliner at Disney's Animal Kingdom... and, with any luck, convince Disney that attractions don't always need to be attached to an IP to be popular.

Attachments

• 1692530442855.png
    1692530442855.png
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • 1692530600700.png
    1692530600700.png
    964.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 1692530601017.png
    1692530601017.png
    964.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 1692530675523.png
    1692530675523.png
    1 MB · Views: 36

DisneyManOne

For my project, I decided to revisit to one of my personal favorite ideas. In the past, I've shared my own ideas for a possible movie attraction depicting a flight through the Solar System, mainly utilizing existing infrastructure and basic effects. For example, one version I did of this concept was to serve as something to fill in the space of the Magic Eye Theater in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. But, when this prompt came before us, I decided to return to this Solar System idea and, to use the Imagineering vernacular, "plus it." So with that in mind, I present my newest concept of the Solar System film; a film that, in keeping with the premise of this competition, seeks to answer the question...

Mission-SPACE_Full_1489.jpg

What if... Mission: SPACE was actually good?

Yes, for my project, I decided to create something for EPCOT. EPCOT has always been one of my favorite parts of Walt Disney World, and with that love, I wish that some of its weakest elements could be altered. Case in point -- Mission: SPACE. Often hailed as one of the worst attractions in Walt Disney World, Mission: SPACE had a lot against it. It replaced the beloved Horizons, it was too claustrophobic, two people died on it...it was a mess all-around, and to this day, it rarely garners long lines. But what if there was a way to change that fate? What if a space-themed pavilion could work? What if that space-themed pavilion held a genuine E-ticket experience? Well, come with me now to an alternate universe where the wonders of space were brought to guests in a way that was hailed as a new masterpiece.

~ ~ ~

epcot-discoveryland-project-gemini.jpg

Let me take you back in time to the year 1999. On October 1 of that year, the Millennium Celebration began; and the same day, Disney announced the start of "Project Gemini", an initiative that would see Future World change dramatically for the new millennium. Sure, some things would stay the same...

-- With its 1994 refresh barely five years old by that point, Spaceship Earth was safe.
-- Wonders of Life would still entertain and educate guests on the Midway of Life.
-- Horizons, naturally, would remain; although it would get a new update to reflect more recent technological breakthroughs.
-- The original Journey Into Imagination with Figment and Dreamfinder, and ImageWorks within the pyramids would continue to delight guests; as would its neighbor, the wacky 3D show Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.
-- The Living Seas would remain, well, living.

...but all the rest would see all sorts of new arrivals.

-- Future World itself would be renamed "Discovery World."
-- The Innoventions complex would be completely torn down and rebuilt into six different quadrants.
-- To fix a long-standing problem regarding all of Future World, more trees would be planted to provide ample opportunities for shade.
-- The recently-opened Test Track would see the arrival of the Junior Autopia, a ride for little ones to go on while the rest of the family takes on the new E-ticket.
-- Food Rocks would move over to the more thematically-appropriate Wonders of Life, and a clone of Soarin', a ride in development for the upcoming Disney's California Adventure, would take its place in The Land.
-- Outside The Land, a hedge maze and outdoor roller-coaster would be added.

But by far, the biggest change of all would be the opening of an all-new pavilion themed around the wonders of outer space. Located in-between The Land and The Living Seas, Mission: SPACE would bring guests into the Solar System in a whole-new way. Utilizing a revolutionary new projection-dome system and a souped-up variation on the Soarin' system -- combined with the in-development KUKA system -- Mission: SPACE would be a revolutionary E-ticket adventure unlike anything EPCOT has ever seen before!

tumblr_mizqufnUqO1r1pz1eo5_1280.jpg

The exterior of Mission: SPACE is somewhat similar to Horizons across the park; a hexagonal building, painted white. However, unlike Horizons, a gigantic space station looms over it. This space station serves as the home of the massive projection dome the ride uses; and given how tall it is, it is one big dome indeed. Entering the building at ground level, it is obvious we are in the Mission Control headquarters of this daring space mission. As a nod to Horizons across the way, references to Brava Centauri can be found throughout the queue; as this space center -- the Armstrong Space Center, by name.

sddefault.jpg

Before we board our spacecraft, we are met with a pre-show video from the head of Mission Control, played by Gary Sinise (and by the way, for this script, I did borrow a few elements from the script of the Mission: SPACE that exists today).

"Welcome, brave explorers, to the Armstrong Space Center. I'm sure many of you, at one point in your life, wondered what it would be like to take part in the greatest adventure in the history of mankind: space exploration. Well, today, you're finally going to get that chance. In a few moments, you'll be boarding a spacecraft to explore our Solar System, from the Sun-drenched Mercury, to distant Pluto. Before we get you onto your spacecraft, it is important for us to go over the safety briefing. When the doors to the spacecraft open, please file in and fill in all the available space. Don't stop in the middle. Once you're seated, be sure to put any carry-on items in the pouch below you; and be sure to fasten the seatbelt by pulling on the yellow strap. Please remain seated throughout the journey, and parents, be sure to watch your children. Oh, and photography is not permitted on the flight. With all that said, it's just about time to begin boarding. On behalf of all of us here at Armstrong, we hope you enjoy your mission through space."

Doors open automatically. We proceed down a short hallway, where before us, we see our spacecraft. The spacecraft itself is much smaller than the normal simulators used in rides like Star Tours or Body Wars. These spacecrafts seat fifteen people at a time -- five seats along three rows. There are giant windows not just at the front of the spacecraft, but on the sides, as well, so that everyone can take in the projections in the dome. In fact, there are four spacecraft in use -- Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta -- each one located at the northern, southern, eastern and western points of the dome. It was decided to use this model so that the projections appear before each spacecraft without any visual intrusion from the other vehicles. No soarin' under feet here!

As we board, we hear Sinise's voice again.

"Flight 07-16, this is Mission Control speaking. We once again advise you to stay seated throughout the journey, and to be sure that your seatbelt is securely fastened. The flight will begin shortly."

The Cast Members go over one last seatbelt check, and when it's completed, the doors close. A musical score by Bruce Broughton begins faintly as the lights dim and voices are heard.

This is not the score used in the ride, naturally. I just wanted to use some sort of Broughton score to illustrate what could be heard here.

"Mission Control, we are cleared for liftoff."

"Roger, network. You are go for launch."

The screens display the sky before us. It looks like we are looking directly up at the sky; our spacecraft is in the vertical launch position.

"Main engines starting. T-minus 5...4...3...2...1...liftoff!"

20200522-49422067976_49b68cf99a_3k_custom-b13939f2b76f50ffaa5e23afa1f40e35b0e1e1ca.jpg

Our spacecraft roars to life. In an instant, we are zooming up, up and away; scaling incredible heights before breaking through gravity and arriving in the vast beauty of outer space. In order to achieve this feeling, our spacecraft vehicle sits at the edge of a straightforward launching zone. When "liftoff" is called, it zooms forward at incredible speed, and when the time is right, the KUKA arm system deploys and lifts us up into the projection dome, where our journey truly begins.

terrestrial-planets.jpg

"Mission Control to Flight 07-16, welcome to the farthest reaches of outer space! Our tour of the Solar System begins as we leave our home planet of Earth. Onward we go, to explore the other planets."

Zipping off at incredible speed, we first speed towards Mercury, taking in its gray tones and rocky surface; and feeling the powerful heat of the Sun (visible on the right-hand side of the vehicle) on our backs. Then, it's off to Venus, where our spacecraft is caught up in the sulfuric clouds that cover the planet. Flying past Earth, we come to Mars, the final terrestrial planet in the Solar System.

"Mars is a planet that fascinates us the most", says Mission Control, who has been narrating the tour with facts about each planet. "In fact, at this very moment, astronauts are on the planet's surface, investigating the possibility of possible habitation."

mars-mockup.jpg

Zooming towards the surface of the Red Planet, we find astronauts, scientists of all stripes and other people -- as well as representatives from Brava Centauri -- on the terrain. One person even waves up to us as we pass by.

"The possibility of life on Mars is one of space's most intriguing questions; and in the years to come, we hope to find the answer, and maybe start a new colony here."

Leaving Mars, things get a little tense.

Asteroid-belt.jpg

"Oh, no... Um, Mission Control to Flight 07-16, in order to reach the Gas Giants, we'll have to get through the asteroid belt. You may want to hold on tight."

Indeed, the asteroid belt is filled with asteroids; and our spacecraft bobs and weaves through them all. This is the most intense part of the ride, as our spacecraft gets involved in quite a few near-misses with certain asteroids.

gas_sizes.jpg

But once we get out of the field, we are immediately met with the glory of Jupiter. The biggest of all planets, Jupiter impresses us with its size and color. The visage of Jupiter fills the projection dome. Our spacecraft slowly approaches the Great Red Spot, where its anticyclonic winds blow us to and fro.

From the Spot of Jupiter, we come to the rings of Saturn. We can practically feel the cold of its rings of ice as we pass by. Moving on to Uranus, our spacecraft actually tilts to see how the planet rotates on each side (this is achieved not by flipping the KUKA system, but by a clever film trick and a simulated effect within the craft). As the vehicle approaches Neptune, the atmosphere gets colder and colder as we approach. (One Imagineer even joked that because of this cold, Mission: SPACE would get long lines when summer came.) The winds of Neptune blow harshly, and Mission Control quickly pulls us out lest we freeze.

DoZSMXF87kCuzbymsuEFHo.jpg

Finally, we come across Pluto, the smallest planet in the Solar System...at the time of opening. A 2006 refurbishment would see new narration from Sinise informing us that Pluto is no longer considered an official planet. Moving past Pluto, we see the Galactic Center out in the distance.

milkyway.jpg

"See that cluster of light out in the distance? That is the Galactic Center of the Milky Way. Now, to me, that Center represents the great unknown. Who knows how far we'll come in the future? Maybe one day, we'll go beyond the Milky Way to see what other galaxies are out there. But for now, the exploration of the Solar System is more than enough to compose a meaningful, beautiful and inspiring adventure. And right now, we'll take you back down to Earth."

Hyperspace kicks in. Almost like a planetary curtain call, we zip past Pluto, Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter and Mars before arriving towards Earth. In the distance, we can see Mercury and Venus and the Sun, as well. As we inch closer and ever closer to the surface of the Earth, down towards Florida, down towards Orlando, down towards EPCOT, our spacecraft starts to lower itself out of the projection dome and back down to solid ground.

As the ground approaches, the screens close. The music ends. We hear our spacecraft touch down. Before long, the lights come back on again, and the doors to the craft open.

"Welcome back to Earth, explorers. We hope you have enjoyed this daring space mission. Now, please gather up all your personal belongings, watch your head and step, take small astronauts by the hand and exit the spacecraft through the doors to your right. On behalf of all of us here at Armstrong Space Center, we hope you'll join us for another exploration through the Solar System very soon."

As we exit, we hear the pavilion's theme song, "Destiny", fill our ears. It stays with us as we head down the exit hallway to the post-show. The post-show is an elaborate experience, where we can find games, exhibits, real demonstrations of spacecraft and astronaut tech, and yes, merchandise. The Space Place sells astronaut toys, Solar System models, spaceship models, Mars Rovers, astronaut suits, and whatever else astronauts or other space enthusiasts may need.

T1004DISNEYSPACE1_TS_HR.jpg

In summer of 2020, Space 220 opened at the pavilion, bringing guests 220 feet up above the Earth for a dining experience unlike any other.

Needless to say, nowadays, Mission: SPACE is widely considered one of EPCOT's biggest selling points, offering guests an incredible view of our Solar System that can't be found anywhere else. To this day, even twenty years after it first opened, it still garners long lines and critical praise. It's not only one of the high points of a visit to EPCOT, but one of the high points of a visit to Walt Disney World as a whole.

~ ~ ~​

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello everyone.

I have this Saturday off work so my plan is to relax and read every single submission that day and post results either that night or Sunday.

Sorry it’s been a minute. Honestly, it’s been extremely difficult to even think about anything related to Disney without breaking down sobbing.

We had music playing at the celebration of life along with some photos on a loop, and “it’s a small world” ended up being one of the songs. I just lost it for like 20 minutes.

So the idea of coming back to this right away was incredibly daunting simply because of how emotionally taxing this has been.

I’m slowly feeling more,… not even sure what the right word is? But basically I’m getting to a point where I’m making peace with it. And we’re already planning a family trip to WDW to celebrate Grandpa.

I want to thank everyone for hanging out all summer. And once again I’m so sorry for all the bumps in the road and being so distant for so long. One day maybe I’ll feel normal again. But I am looking forward to reading these projects and participating in PerGron’s game this fall.

Love you bbs.
- Tegan

cdunlap

What was everyone's favorite project from the comp? I really enjoyed the Nintendo Land--working on Kirby's Pinball Ride.
The Library, The Aztec/Maya/Inca Water Park, Peru Pavilion, the Zelda Walkthrough, Raiders Square, The Middle Kingdom and finally, a project I had no part in, it's Team Cassie's Tlalocan, which is one of THE BEST depictions of the Maya people I have ever read on this site!

OSUPhantom

Hey all, what a fun season. I wasn’t able to be active for several projects to I decided against submitting a final project and let those who were more regularly involved get the focus. Wonderful job Tegan putting this competition together!

PerGron

We're here for you, Tegan!

What was everyone's favorite project from the comp? I really enjoyed the Nintendo Land--working on Kirby's Pinball Ride.
I gotta go autumn landing. I adore the spooky New England autumn aesthetic and the project captured that well.

By the way, for those who don’t know, if you also love all things spooky, mysterious, and supernatural, keep your eyes peeled over the next month as we ramp up to the new comp Dark PerGron’s Manor of Mysteries! I’m getting excited designing it

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
1A723461-C93E-4131-BDE2-0D5FC299316E.png

REVIEWS

Thank you all so much for your patience and kindness throughout this challenging season. I know that these life events sort of threw off the flow of the game, and I am grateful that we have it to the finale.

We ended up with six submissions for the final round. I have read them all and I adore them all! Honestly there were a few other players I was hopeful would have something submitted, but given all the circumstances I’m not entirely surprised that some people chose to forgo the conclusion of the game.

Nonetheless. Let’s get into it.

@cdunlap Peru Pavilion

We have our first appearance of EPCOT in the finale. A lovely choice, as peak EPCOT Center is my favorite park of all time.

Many World Showcase pavilions have been proposed over the years but Peru is one that I have not seen suggested as often so this is really cool to see. You obviously have a passion for the culture and it shows.

You overloaded the pavilion with attractions and experiences and honestly, I love that! Between Ratatouille, the theater attractions, and shopping and dining options, the France pavilion has become a place where you could easily spend two or three hours of a day. I would love to see each World Showcase pavilion given similar treatment.

Tons of images which I enjoy as they help sell the idea.

Way into the self guided discovery area. These types of experiences really fill out any land or area of a park and this one is no exception. I LOVE that you included Kuzcotopia! This would be an incredibly fun and iconic attraction for sure. Considering it’s supposed to be a headliner attraction, I do wish you’d included a little more here in terms of ride detail or layout but I still enjoy it.

The gondola ride sounds fun but it doesn’t feel entirely complete.

I’ve never had Inca Kola. What’s it like? I want to dine here!

Thanks for your submission and for your enthusiasm throughout the season!!

@ThemeParkPriest Voyage of Pi

I’ve never read the book or seen the movie, so I’m going to be basing everything off your write up.

I love your little intro on the forum post. Very funny!

DHS gets a water ride! Love it. I don’t think I love that it replaced Beauty and the Beast, but I like that you chose to utilize the space available and I think it makes sense to put this attraction here.

A freighter as the facade?! That’s so cool!!

You always do a great job of going outside the box for your individual submissions. Unfortunately I think in this case your write up assumes your audience is already familiar with the source material. We needed a bit more detail or backstory in certain places. You did introduce us to the main characters but two of them seem to only be in the story for a single scene.

I do love your choice of ride vehicle. This is a ride system we haven’t seen utilized too often on the forums so way to go again choosing something outside the box.

Glad Pi 2 liked it!

Thank you for the submission and for always being an enthusiastic and supportive presence on the forums!!

@Brer Panther Prehistoric Plunge

Awesome choice of location! Dinoland seriously needs some help and this is such a wonderful solution!

I really appreciate this “trip report” style post. These are always full of personality and are so much fun to read. You captured that here and I adore the tiny details. I can just imagine the wild discussions on the forums as this attraction came to life!

The ride itself is incredibly charming and would fit so well in Dinoland! And honestly this feels like a “classic” Disney dark ride! Each scene is playful and fun. You took inspiration from multiple Disney Park classics and it’s just bursting with personality!

The only thing this is missing is a nice place making map. And some of your trademark illustrations.

Fantastic job! Attractions and lands do NOT need preexisting IP to be great and you prove it here!

Thank you for your submission and for always giving it your all in every competition! Great job!

@AceAstro TRON: The Grid Runners

Fantastic choice of setting and time! DCA 2.0 - what a time! This really gave you a lot of space to utilize while complimenting what was already there.

You closed Mike & Sully.
I’m heartbroken.

But the choice to dramatically change HollywoodLand with the ENCOM presence is bold, exciting, and unexpected! Well done!

Love the map! I appreciate that as part of this you retconned Test Track to remain more along the lines of the original. And then you went and blended what we actually got in Test Track 2.0 with TRON Light Cycle Power Run and created something better than both!

The vehicle design element of Test Track has become one of my favorite parts of that entire experience so I’m happy to see that surviving here. The ride actually visits places from the franchise instead of just being cool blue lights. While the TRON coasters ARE phenomenal, this extra detail makes the ride so much more interesting!

Great job! Thank you for your submission and for always being such a fun presence on the forum!

@DisneyManOne What if,… Mission: Space was Good

Yes! Yes!! YES!!!

Okay now that I have that out of the way, full disclosure; I actually love Mission: Space. I know, I know. Yes, I absolutely adored Horizons, it’s the greatest extinct attraction of all time, if not the greatest to ever exist. Yes, Mission: Space is NOT for everyone and it hardly ever had long lines during off peak times. But it is a truly unbelievable experience unlike anything else!

However,… this honestly sounds better.

First of all I love that you chose to take it back to 1999. You have an amazing park to work with, including plenty of classic Epcot along with many newer attractions. It’s like a perfect middle point combining the best of both worlds.

The rundown of attractions that you kept and updated is basically perfect. This is an EPCOT that I want to visit!

You utilized one of the original design concepts for the Space pavilion and I think it works wonderfully here. The placement itself might be a bit odd; the eastern half of what was Future World had always been flowing and organic in theme and In architecture while the western half had always featured sharp angles and hard science. Nonetheless, to be able to have this attraction while retaining Horizons,… yeah I’ll accept the mild contradiction!

I have ALWAYS wanted a family-friendly ride that took us across the solar system. So this really hit home for me. The experience sounds truly amazing and straight out of the formative years of EPCOT Center development.

So four ride vehicles with fifteen passengers each, meaning 60 passengers per cycle. How long is the ride? I think I’d have a tiny concern for capacity, but honestly it would be worth it to have this. No Soarin’ feet here! Nice!

Armstrong Space Center is a great name.

I just loved this! Thank you for this submission and for always being such a creative and thoughtful presence in the game! It’s been wonderful having you!

@Architectural Guinea Pig

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 tugged at every single one of my heart strings. It’s a phenomenal movie and definitely a valid excuse for a late project!

Onto the project itself.

This was a fun intro! Yes it took 14 slides but honestly you built a ton of anticipation and had me totally invested! It would appear you envisioned a drastically evolved DCA, and I am extremely curious! You should expand upon this idea more in the future and fully realize all these new lands!

I absolutely love the artwork for the facade and all the other details. You put so much effort into the place making and layout of everything and that’s a detail I truly appreciate!

Circle Vision preshow?! Ahhhh!! You got Horizons in there somewhere too?! The preshow is fantastic just by itself. I could really visualize it as I was reading it and this just feels classic Disney to me!

The ride itself is way more massive than I was even expecting. You created an EPCOT style “edutainment” attraction that fits perfectly into DCA! You didn’t shy away from unpleasant historic details and I think that’s very important. It’s kind of like a moving version of The American Adventure in terms of scope!

I think the only thing I really wanted more of was the modern age section. I think there could be more to this even though it’s a chapter still being written.

But make no mistake. This was fantastic!

Thank you for your submission and for always being a strong creative presence in the game!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
1A723461-C93E-4131-BDE2-0D5FC299316E.png

What if,… the game came to an end…

RESULTS

Brer Panther - Your project was so fun and so charming! Honestly with an additional few details you probably would have won the whole thing! Great job! I can’t wait to see what you do next!

Architectural Guinea Pig - It was unbelievably close between you and the winner. Your project was incredibly imaginative and inspiring. I really hope you’ll be sticking around for future competitions!

DisneyManOne - Throughout the game your contributions have been above and beyond. You shined bright in every brainstorming session. And your final project was grandiose and tugged at my nostalgic heartstrings. Congratulations! You are the winner of What if,… Disney Parks Edition!!

Thank you all once again for a phenomenal game! Every single round you submitted outstanding projects that continuously exceeded my expectations!

I’m so sorry that I wasn’t able to be as involved and active throughout the game as I wanted to be. Thank you all again so much for your kindness, understanding, and words of encouragement.

Your enthusiasm and level of contributions despite my relative absence as your host leads me to believe that the concept works,… and that there should be a follow up at some point. If/when I hold a second season, I will absolutely be seeking co-hosts.

I sincerely hope you will all be joining @Dark PerGron for his Manor of Mysteries!! This is another debuting game on the forums, and it’s sure to be unique and engaging!

Thank you all once again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom