What I think...as of today...for now...

Tom

Beta Return
I seem to remember them but I also think I'm the only one. So who knows?:lol:

I distinctly remember a drawing that showed the raceway slightly altered when overlayed over the drawing. It's very puzzling nobody remembers this. :shrug:

I definitely don't ever remember seeing a drawing or even a rendering or model that implied any changes to the speedway. It would be quite a nuisance to close that entire attraction just to move the track 10 feet. They might as well tear the entire thing out and replace it with something appropriate and worthwhile.....*cough cough*

IlikeDW

I seem to remember them but I also think I'm the only one. So who knows?:lol:

I distinctly remember a drawing that showed the raceway slightly altered when overlayed over the drawing. It's very puzzling nobody remembers this. :shrug:

I remember one but am fairly certain it was a fan edit, not Disney original. have been looking but cant find it.

SeaCastle

I definitely don't ever remember seeing a drawing or even a rendering or model that implied any changes to the speedway. It would be quite a nuisance to close that entire attraction just to move the track 10 feet. They might as well tear the entire thing out and replace it with something appropriate and worthwhile.....*cough cough*

I made the same suggestion, but I was flamed on the grounds that "it's a classic" and that it appeals to kids. :lookaroun :lol:

Tom

Beta Return
It is a classic. A classic example of something that does not fit in to Tommorowland.

..or Fantasyland...or anywhere in WDW. It's noisy. It stinks. It's slow loading. And it is the complete opposite of everything good about WDI (I guess it would fit in with Dinoland, now that I think about it). :lol:

It was a nice concept when they were throwing "amusement" rides into Disneyland to fill it up, like Autopia. It was novel and entertaining. All I can figure is that they needed to fill a void in WDW-TL back when they were hastily trying to open it (late), so they said, "Hey, let's throw in a giant version of that crappy go-cart ride in DL.". That's how it happened in my simple mind anyway :p

DisneyParksFan1

..or Fantasyland...or anywhere in WDW. It's noisy. It stinks. It's slow loading. And it is the complete opposite of everything good about WDI (I guess it would fit in with Dinoland, now that I think about it). :lol:

It was a nice concept when they were throwing "amusement" rides into Disneyland to fill it up, like Autopia. It was novel and entertaining. All I can figure is that they needed to fill a void in WDW-TL back when they were hastily trying to open it (late), so they said, "Hey, let's throw in a giant version of that crappy go-cart ride in DL.". That's how it happened in my simple mind anyway :p

You read my mind. The go-cart ride sucks. Journey to the Center of the Earth should be there, it'd make the transition from FYL to TL almost seemless.

JungleTrekFan

It's because nothing is happening to the speedway, Jt just jumped to conclusions again

SeaBase86

I never will understand the hate for the speedway. Us Disney fans may hate it but I see millions of kids who can't drive enjoy this attraction. So it's not your taste don't lose sleep over it. It's going to be there for awhile. Autopia has been running since 1955 I never hear complaints about it in Dl well why WDW?

BriEcho3194

I never will understand the hate for the speedway. Us Disney fans may hate it but I see millions of kids who can't drive enjoy this attraction. So it's not your taste don't lose sleep over it. It's going to be there for awhile. Autopia has been running since 1955 I never hear complaints about it in Dl well why WDW?

I agree with you! :) It's a classic ride that is still running strong! It's a lot of fun! Even adults have fun! They may make upgrades to it in the near future which Disney always does. Making the classics better. You have one person not complaining about the Speedway. :wave:

SeaBase86

I agree with you! :) It's a classic ride that is still running strong! It's a lot of fun! Even adults have fun! They may make upgrades to it in the near future which Disney always does. Making the classics better. You have one person not complaining about the Speedway. :wave:

Glad your with me :wave:

Anyone else wanna join us?

SeaCastle

When Disneyland opened, the concept of an interstate highway system was modern and contemporary. Not so much anymore. At least they could upgrade the technology half of a century like the otherparks, or use the space for something that could make the transition easier on the eyes.

Tom

Beta Return

Even when I was a kid, I hated the Speedway. I think we did it because my parents thought we wanted to...and we just didn't have the gall to complain at Disney World for fear that Dad would get fed up and leave :lol:

It doesn't fit because there's nothing magical about it. It's ugly and sounds like 50 poorly maintained lawnmowers running around Tomorrowland. There are several old amusement parks around the country that offer old fashion car driving rides like this, and many of the larger carnivals that setup at State Fairs have them too. There's also a go-cart track within driving distance of many locations throughout the US. If a kid wants to "drive" a car, there are lot of opportunities other than Disney World.

I have honestly never heard the Tomorrowland Speedway (or whatever it's officially called these days) referred to as a "classic" attraction. Nobody hears Disney World and thinks of the rail-guided sputtering cars. They'll think of 10,000 other things before they think of the speedway. I also haven't come across any fan-boy pages dedicated to it (but now that I've said that, I'm sure people will post 50 links to such pages), like I have for 20k, Peter Pan, Snow White, Toad, etc.

There's nothing Disney about it. But if the majority really thinks getting rid of it would be as traumatic as losing 20k, Toad, Horizons or World of Motion, maybe they could push for an improvement like electric (i.e. silent and odorless) cars. I'd make that compromise.

JungleTrekFan

Glad your with me :wave:

Anyone else wanna join us?

I use to like this ride, but they should really look into making the cars electric, thats (sort of) futuristic and would have no smell of gasoline and little noise. Doesn't Tokyo or Hong Kong Disneyland already has electric cars on their autopia?

Edit: Looks like edwardtc beat me to it

Thank You Wikipedia; Opened in Summer 2006 as part of its Phase I Expansion, the Hong Kong version is different from all the other versions, as it features electric cars, with lighting effects on the cars, and a unique on-board audio-system. Theming includes a lush jungle and alien landscape. Honda Motors is the sponsor of the attraction

Now if we had similar cars and landscaping i dont think anyone would be hating on our speedway

SeaBase86

Even when I was a kid, I hated the Speedway. I think we did it because my parents thought we wanted to...and we just didn't have the gall to complain at Disney World for fear that Dad would get fed up and leave :lol:

It doesn't fit because there's nothing magical about it. It's ugly and sounds like 50 poorly maintained lawnmowers running around Tomorrowland. There are several old amusement parks around the country that offer old fashion car driving rides like this, and many of the larger carnivals that setup at State Fairs have them too. There's also a go-cart track within driving distance of many locations throughout the US. If a kid wants to "drive" a car, there are lot of opportunities other than Disney World.

I have honestly never heard the Tomorrowland Speedway (or whatever it's officially called these days) referred to as a "classic" attraction. Nobody hears Disney World and thinks of the rail-guided sputtering cars. They'll think of 10,000 other things before they think of the speedway. I also haven't come across any fan-boy pages dedicated to it (but now that I've said that, I'm sure people will post 50 links to such pages), like I have for 20k, Peter Pan, Snow White, Toad, etc.

There's nothing Disney about it. But if the majority really thinks getting rid of it would be as traumatic as losing 20k, Toad, Horizons or World of Motion, maybe they could push for an improvement like electric (i.e. silent and odorless) cars. I'd make that compromise.

Losing Horizons wasn't that bad. I dot care if they removed the speedway but the constant bashing isn't needed. People enjoy it so it's here to stay. What you make dislike someone else may love.

Tom

Beta Return
Losing Horizons wasn't that bad. I dot care if they removed the speedway but the constant bashing isn't needed. People enjoy it so it's here to stay. What you make dislike someone else may love.

People have enjoyed lots of things that Disney got rid of. But yes, I agree that I am merely an opinion, and that there are many others who enjoy it. That doesn't mean I have to stop saying bad things about it. :p

cheezbat

You know why you dont hear people complaining about the Autiopia and Disneyland? Because it's CRAMMED into it's spot, fitted around the areas of the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Innoventions, and the Disneyland Railroad. It's also more scenic. The Tomorrowland Speedway at the Magic Kingdom is way more spread out, takes up prime real estate that could be used for multiple dark rides or Mountains, and it isn't anywhere near as scenic as Disneylands. The ride either needs some serious updating, or get removed from the park for something far more Disney-like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom