What I think...as of today...for now...

CBOMB

Mickey Mouse Club Circus

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a crummy idea. Although, back in 1956 (when the circus was more popular), it was in the park.
If it's totally segergated from the rest of Fantsyland it might not be so bad, but I still think it's going to look cheap. I know it fits the theme of Dumbo, and I really shouldn't be judging it before it is even built. I just keep thinking of the tent at MTTF, and how it just didn't feel like WDW to me. This is just my opinion, and I can't help how I feel about it.

MickeyMind

My problem with the Dumbo area is that I just don't want to see such a big area devoted to one movie.

I see what your saying, all though I dont think its just about one big area being devoted to one film so much as its one big area that being devoted to the dumbo movie. I wouldnt mind such a big area for a wonderland or a neverland. A circus doesnt have charm, it doesnt have fairtytale qualities, its something pretty tacky looking and I think thats what bothers most about it. Its nothing special, and when Im at disney I want to be transported to special places, places I cant visit anywhere else in the world.

The best thing they can do is add a Toontown to this area, Its got universal appeal, and doesnt every other magic kingdom style park have a toontown? How can the most popular out of all the magic kingdoms not have the best toontown around? Its obvious most people interested in a disney vacation head to florida for their disney fix, so why on earth would they not be utilizing this opportunity to build a complete fully realized toontown. Theres no excuse to evict mickey from the magic kingdom, and its even dumber to put his new home right in the front of main street, isnt it crowded enough? Come on Disney, you did right by removing the princess m&g but now bring it on home and make an awesome toontown. If you make a toontown I promise I wont be bitter about dumbo's circus

AEfx

That's my concerns on this project also. We are going to have Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus coming to Fantasyland. How in the world is it ever going to feel right?

Yeah, gee, because Walt Disney never had any interests in Circuses in his parks or films...

Disney Shorts - "Mickey's Circus"

Daveland Disneyland Mickey Mouse Club Circus Photo Page

That said, I find circuses pretty boring, but I'm all for a place for the kiddos to freak out and get their Dumbo on, while I'm enjoying other areas of the park. :)

lazyboy97o

I do not know why people keep bringing up the Mickey Mouse Club Circus to easy people's concerns. It is typically considered to be one of Walt Disney's biggest failures.

DisneyParksFan1

It's funny, people complained about PH given way too much space for one movie franchise, and now they complain about Dumbo having it. I mean which would you rather have? Dumbo or Pixies? Because I'm sure Disney could very easily bring back the fairies if you like. And the other funny thing is that people mind Dumbo and PH having all that space because they are just one movie, but when Wonderland or Neverland come into the mix, they don't mind... And... Well... They are kinda sorta also ONE movie. This isn't directed at anyone at all, but I'm just going to put that out there..

SeaCastle

It's funny, people complained about PH given way too much space for one movie franchise, and now they complain about Dumbo having it. I mean which would you rather have? Dumbo or Pixies? Because I'm sure Disney could very easily bring back the fairies if you like. And the other funny thing is that people mind Dumbo and PH having all that space because they are just one movie, but when Wonderland or Neverland come into the mix, they don't mind... And... Well... They are kinda sorta also ONE movie. This isn't directed at anyone at all, but I'm just going to put that out there..

I see your point, but the problem with PH was that it would put so much money into something with appeal for such a tiny demographic.

DisneyParksFan1

I see your point, but the problem with PH was that it would put so much money into something with appeal for such a tiny demographic.

Agreed, but I would much rather have Dumbo over Pixies. I mean if Disney was kind enough to replace the Pixies with Dumbo then shoot, I'll take it!

Magenta Panther

Good points. Hmmm...I wonder if people prefer Neverland or Wonderland to Dumbo or Tink because the former are magical worlds, rather than a singular character, and have multiple features that are likely to appeal to a larger audience?

For my part, I think a circus is a little too...commonplace...for WDW. I can actually go see a circus (although none with flying elephants, of course). But I can't go see Neverland or Wonderland. Building worlds such as those is what WDW is known for. Maybe that's why they seem more fitting for the expansion. JMHO.

DisneyParksFan1

Good points. Hmmm...I wonder if people prefer Neverland or Wonderland to Dumbo or Tink because the former are magical worlds, rather than a singular character, and have multiple features that are likely to appeal to a larger audience?

For my part, I think a circus is a little too...commonplace...for WDW. I can actually go see a circus (although none with flying elephants, of course). But I can't go see Neverland or Wonderland. Building worlds such as those is what WDW is known for. Maybe that's why they seem more fitting for the expansion. JMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see that as well, but I'm happy they at least changed it up into Dumbo instead of Fairies.

Little Green Men

The best thing they can do is add a Toontown to this area, Its got universal appeal, and doesnt every other magic kingdom style park have a toontown? How can the most popular out of all the magic kingdoms not have the best toontown around? Its obvious most people interested in a disney vacation head to florida for their disney fix, so why on earth would they not be utilizing this opportunity to build a complete fully realized toontown. Theres no excuse to evict mickey from the magic kingdom, and its even dumber to put his new home right in the front of main street, isnt it crowded enough? Come on Disney, you did right by removing the princess m&g but now bring it on home and make an awesome toontown. If you make a toontown I promise I wont be bitter about dumbo's circus

Actually only Tokyo and California have a toontown. Paris is supposed to get some sort of toontown at the Studios park, but it's not the same really.

jt04

I just don't understand this I guess. When I imagine it, I see myself walking through the FL Forest then "stumbling" upon a traveling circus. Like someone said earlier, there have been traveling circuses in Europe since Roman times.

And this whole "backstory" thing that jt gets all worked up about. My argument is that some of the best rides at MK don't really have a backs tory. PotC? Splash? HM? You may argue that it (the HM) DOES have a backstory, but originally, if I am correct, there wasn't much of one. Guests have sort of created a backstory for it. And honestly that's what's great about rides not having real concrete backstories. You can create whatever backstory you want for yourself. In FL, its all about fantasy. A flying elephant? Fantasy. In my mind it just really needs to be cohesive. All the stories of why Cinderella has a carrousel in her courtyard of her castle... meh. Just mho. :shrug:

You are still not getting it. A better comparison would be if they had just cloned the New Orleans style mansion in LS at WDW when they built it. You see the mansion fits LS because it was designed to. Purposefully. That is the common thread I am refering to. I mean they could have made the mansion in Florida look like a circus tent, space mountain or even a K-Mart but that just wouldn't make sense in Liberty Square.

SeaCastle

You are still not getting it. A better comparison would be if they had just cloned the New Orleans style mansion in LS at WDW when they built it. You see the mansion fits LS because it was designed to. Purposefully. That is the common thread I am refering to. I mean they could have made the mansion in Florida look like a circus tent, space mountain or even a K-Mart but that just wouldn't make sense in Liberty Square.

Perhaps you should reserve judgement about how dreadful Dumbo-land will be until it's actually built and you can see it for yourself. :shrug:

_Scar

I hope Dumbo-land will be as whimsical as the concept art looks. The more wacky, the better!

Dumbo has a blu ray coming out sooner or later, a musical broadway production in the works, and a whole new mini-land coming... not to mention whatever happens in Shanghai...

Dumbo's future is looking so good atm. Good for him! He deserves to be a star! ;D

lazyboy97o

Perhaps you should reserve judgement about how dreadful Dumbo-land will be until it's actually built and you can see it for yourself. :shrug:
If the argument being made is in regards to conflict of theme, seeing is not a prerequisite for criticism. "Pretty hodgepodge" is not much of a theme.

AEfx

I do not know why people keep bringing up the Mickey Mouse Club Circus to easy people's concerns. It is typically considered to be one of Walt Disney's biggest failures.

It's a counter to the point that the theme is "unDisney". Disney obviously had a strong interest in Circuses. That project may have failed, but it wasn't because of theme - it was because it was a traditional circus act and guests at the then brand-new Disneyland wanted something they couldn't get elsewhere, and that's not going to be an issue with this project.

Like I said, though, I am no fan of circuses...well, except for Britney's Circus Tour. ;) That was great, haha. But the theme does fit, that's the point.

Krack

Actually, I brought it up and then specifically stated I still thought the new Dumbo's circus area is a terrible idea. But, that said, facts are facts - Disneyland used to have a circus and Walt put it there.

Skyway

Why does everyone consider this an ADDITION of a "Circusland"?

Dumbo has always been in the park.

I view this is as simply adding a little more theming around Dumbo so it's not just some elephant ride randomly plunked down in a Fantasy Forest.

For the first time in 55 years, there is a REASON for Dumbo to exist in FL.

Are you all suggesting they should get rid of Dumbo completely? Or are you thinking it should be incorporated into FL differently? How??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom