What I think...as of today...for now...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It can but the question is will it? It is somewhat a world unto itself and it could even work as an american traveling circus in Europe as I have said before. When I complain about a "circusland" it is the fear they will turn the current toontown and all of FL east into a giant circus themed land without respect to the emerging transformation/backstory of FL.

This would definitely be the easy and cheap way to do things and if they do we would be stuck with it.

It that vein every single ride, restaurant, attraction and M&G could be considered a "world onto itself." It will be fine in the end. Just give it time....

jt04

It that vein every single ride, restaurant, attraction and M&G could be considered a "world onto itself." It will be fine in the end. Just give it time....

Unfortunately there are too many recent examples of management not respecting traditional WDI practices. But I hope you are right.

Ideally "lands" are a collection of individual worlds but they have a common thread that creates a whole. Whether it is story, archectural elements, color, textures or music it should function as a whole. There are too many recent examples of this being ignored. The "Passport to dreams old and new" website goes into amazing detail explaining how it should work. It is probably a better resource than even the Imagineering guides.

I'm sure some people said dinoland would be fine and there are people here who defend it. But seriously, it should never have been built. And now it seems we are stuck with it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Unfortunately there are too many recent examples of management not respecting traditional WDI practices. But I hope you are right.

Ideally "lands" are a collection of individual worlds but they have a common thread that creates a whole. Whether it is story, archectural elements, color, textures or music it should function as a whole. There are too many recent examples of this being ignore. The "Passport to dreams old and new" website goes into amazing detail explaining how it should work. It is probably a better resource than even the Imagineering guides.

I'm sure some people said dinoland would be fine and there are people here who defend it. But seriously, it should never have been built. And now it seems we are stuck with it.

If they keep the houses in place, then yes, I would say there's a thematic "issue." But by keeping tents (or building new ones) the theme actually isn't bad- you can look at it as eminating from the castle, to the township around it with the tavern and shops, then onto the "carnival" which would have been located outside of the castle and town area anyway. It could be worse.....

jt04

If they keep the houses in place, then yes, I would say there's a thematic "issue." But by keeping tents (or building new ones) the theme actually isn't bad- you can look at it as eminating from the castle, to the township around it with the tavern and shops, then onto the "carnival" which would have been located outside of the castle and town area anyway. It could be worse.....

Why force a storyline in when there are so many other treatments that would amaze....

Neverland
Pixie Hollow
Wonderland
Princess Stage Show
Pixie Stage Show
Bear and The Bow (pixar property that I think might work)

...and I'm sure many other possibilities I'm overlooking.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Why force a storyline in when there are so many other treatments that would amaze....

Neverland
Pixie Hollow
Wonderland
Princess Stage Show
Pixie Stage Show

They're not forcing a storyline, but a geographic setting- akin to a medieval castle and its surrounding environ....

jt04

They're not forcing a storyline, but a geographic setting- akin to a medieval castle and its surrounding environ....

If it is done right, and many would agree Disney is capable of that, then it does not feel forced and disbelief is suspended and people 'get it'. The magic works but all the ingredients are necessary.

I compare it to great film making.

_Scar

Neverland
Pixie Hollow
Wonderland
Princess Stage Show
Pixie Stage Show

Pixar is not allowed in FLand. Sorry.

Lee

Adventurer
Original Poster
Ok, folks...

I'm gonna be on a cruise ship for a week, and thus out of touch with what's going on here.
(Why, hello Miss Oasis of the Seas!:D)

In my absence , I expect y'all to keep this thread on track, and cool.

Also....no new information is allowed to come out while I'm gone.

Otherwise, have fun. And behave.
:wave:

CBOMB

Ok, folks...

I'm gonna be on a cruise ship for a week, and thus out of touch with what's going on here.

Enjoy the Cruise Lee.

CBOMB

Ideally "lands" are a collection of individual worlds but they have a common thread that creates a whole. Whether it is story, archectural elements, color, textures or music it should function as a whole. There are too many recent examples of this being ignored. The "Passport to dreams old and new" website goes into amazing detail explaining how it should work. It is probably a better resource than even the Imagineering guides.

That's my concerns on this project also. We are going to have Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus coming to Fantasyland. How in the world is it ever going to feel right?

DisneyParksFan1

Ok, folks...

Have fun Lee!

Hopefully you come back with great juice filled news.

inluvwithbeast

That's my concerns on this project also. We are going to have Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus coming to Fantasyland. How in the world is it ever going to feel right?

I just don't understand this I guess. When I imagine it, I see myself walking through the FL Forest then "stumbling" upon a traveling circus. Like someone said earlier, there have been traveling circuses in Europe since Roman times.

And this whole "backstory" thing that jt gets all worked up about. My argument is that some of the best rides at MK don't really have a backs tory. PotC? Splash? HM? You may argue that it (the HM) DOES have a backstory, but originally, if I am correct, there wasn't much of one. Guests have sort of created a backstory for it. And honestly that's what's great about rides not having real concrete backstories. You can create whatever backstory you want for yourself. In FL, its all about fantasy. A flying elephant? Fantasy. In my mind it just really needs to be cohesive. All the stories of why Cinderella has a carrousel in her courtyard of her castle... meh. Just mho. :shrug:

BrerFrog

Ok, folks...

I wouldn't worry about it. Without you here the chances of any big things being revealed drop a lot, but thankfully not completely.

Enjoy your cruise! :wave:

Daannzzz

An old fasioned European Circus looks a bit different than an old or new American circus. I think some people are just put of by the thought or red and white striped tents and gaudy wagons and such. I too am less than excited about this part but I do like the look of Dumbo and Casey Jr. at Disneyland because it is intertwined with the storybook land boats and has loads of gardens and is quite pretty. If they can get the "Circus" area at the MK to look like this it should be fine.

CBOMB

I just don't understand this I guess. When I imagine it, I see myself walking through the FL Forest then "stumbling" upon a traveling circus. Like someone said earlier, there have been traveling circuses in Europe since Roman times.

And this whole "backstory" thing that jt gets all worked up about. My argument is that some of the best rides at MK don't really have a backs tory. PotC? Splash? HM? You may argue that it (the HM) DOES have a backstory, but originally, if I am correct, there wasn't much of one. Guests have sort of created a backstory for it. And honestly that's what's great about rides not having real concrete backstories. You can create whatever backstory you want for yourself. In FL, its all about fantasy. A flying elephant? Fantasy. In my mind it just really needs to be cohesive. All the stories of why Cinderella has a carrousel in her courtyard of her castle... meh. Just mho. :shrug:
I just simply think it will look out of place.

lazyboy97o

American circuses did travel throughout Europe. Fantasyland also encompases well over a century of time, as Christopher Robin was not born until 1920.

MMFanCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Ok, folks...

Lee, have fun!! And don't let Miss Oasis of the Seas get away!! :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom