What hotels arent effected by smoking ban?

MaXXimus

I have read that some hotels on Disney property that arent owned by Disney arent effected by the ban... anyone know which ones? I know one of them is the Hilton on Hotel Plaza Boulevard. I figure I still have 6 weeks and read that Disney is allowing all smokers who booked rooms expecting the ability to smoke, to rebook else where if they choose. I want to find out my options. Why stay and give money to WDW and stay at the WL and not be able to enjoy a cigg if I can still stay on Disney property and still get the transportation to and from the parks and be able to light up in my room!

slappy magoo

Oh and there are no rooms available during my dates at non Disney owned resorts... I could try the Cabins but I guess I will just have to stick with the Lodge and endure the suffering, because the Lodge just has more flare then the Cabin area.

Try splitting the trip up. If you can get a few nights in a cabin, cut your WL time in half.

I wonder if the non-Disney resorts are not available because they are smoking? Maybe lots of smokers had the same idea you did.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Oh and there are no rooms available during my dates at non Disney owned resorts... I could try the Cabins but I guess I will just have to stick with the Lodge and endure the suffering, because the Lodge just has more flare then the Cabin area.

If I recall correctly, the cabins are even harder to get than a hotel room at WDW...very popular due to the kitchen and extra room.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Try splitting the trip up. If you can get a few nights in a cabin, cut your WL time in half.

I wonder if the non-Disney resorts are not available because they are smoking? Maybe lots of smokers had the same idea you did.

I think WDW is just plain busy. Really "slow" times are a thing of the past, at least for now. Those days when I could go off season and have short or no lines, my pick of reduced rate rooms, and uncrowded restaurants are history. :lol:

Upvote 0

gotribe07

You can still smoke on the patio downstairs at the WL.

WDW website:
Q. How will this policy be enforced?
A. Guests will be reminded of the policy upon check-in. A $250 - $500room recovery fee plus tax (based on the Resort and room) will becharged to Guests who smoke in Guest rooms, on balconies or on patiosto cover the costs of cleaning and restoring the room to a smoke-freecondition.

Swan doesn't allow smoking according to one of the sites I looked at, we stayed there and never had to ask for non-smoking rooms. I'm not sure about the Dolphin, they may have gone non-smoking as well.

OK, I offically LOVE THIS POLICY!!

Seriously, if you just tell a guest this is a "non smoking room" but theres not financial penalties for smoking what would stop them?

But this $250-500 deposit is PERFECT. Disney is FINALLY punishing people for breaking the rules and ruining things for other people and I love it. It's about time Disney says enough is enough and stop with the honor system because we all know there are plenty of people out there who don't care about any of Disney's rules.

To whoever at Disney who came up with this idea... .THANK YOU!!

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

That's due to what I read: all the resorts are getting cleaned (carpets, drapes and linens) and they don't want to have to re-do this all the time, so they will charge you if you are found to have been smoking in the room, balcony or patio that is not smoking designated. It said as of June 1st, all the smoking rooms were going to be deep cleaned for the new policy.

Upvote 0

jmicro59

OK, I offically LOVE THIS POLICY!!

Seriously, if you just tell a guest this is a "non smoking room" but theres not financial penalties for smoking what would stop them?

But this $250-500 deposit is PERFECT. Disney is FINALLY punishing people for breaking the rules and ruining things for other people and I love it. It's about time Disney says enough is enough and stop with the honor system because we all know there are plenty of people out there who don't care about any of Disney's rules.

To whoever at Disney who came up with this idea... .THANK YOU!!

I'd like to second that. Good show WDW. :sohappy:
The right for anyone to light-up ends at the tip of my nose.

Upvote 0

gotribe07

That's due to what I read: all the resorts are getting cleaned (carpets, drapes and linens) and they don't want to have to re-do this all the time, so they will charge you if you are found to have been smoking in the room, balcony or patio that is not smoking designated. It said as of June 1st, all the smoking rooms were going to be deep cleaned for the new policy.

Excellent research

I knew about the smoking ban however i did not know any of the other information involved.

You my friend know your stuff and thanks for getting that info from the WDW site. :wave:

Upvote 0

mhead

I'd like to second that. Good show WDW. :sohappy:
The right for anyone to light-up ends at the tip of my nose.

Don't confuse having a policy with enforcing one. How many times have you seen someone removed form a park, or even talked to, when smoking outside of designated areas?

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

mhead - but regarding smoking in a room, it's pretty easy to catch, and even if you aren't told while you are staying there, you could receive a bill or get charged for the room cleaning fee before you leave. They are spending a lot to clean every room, so can't blame them for wanting to keep them clean and charging if they aren't due to not following a policy.

Upvote 0

Kashyyyk

I am glad to see the financial penalities as well. I think that is the only thing that will keep some from thinking twice about lighting up in rooms. Even before this policy was announced there are some that ignore the rules and smoke in non-smoking rooms, without any concern about how this will affect others (ie: unseen people in rooms connected by the air ducts). Under previous policies, Disney was powerless to do anything about it, even though the cleaning department knew which room was causing the problem.

I actually wrote to WDW about this issue back in January and suggested such a remedy (in line with what other major US hotel chains have instituted). My feeling was that until there is some monetary fine, a non-smoking rule would have no merit or meaning. That said, I did not think they would make the penalty so stiff.

Upvote 0

jakeman

Smoking is allowed in select rooms at:

Walt Disney World Dolphin

This Official Hotel of Walt Disney World is located in the Epcot Resort Area and maintains all Disney standards. This Hotel offers Disney Transportation to the Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney-MGM Studios and the Downtown Disney Entertainment District. This resort is also within walking distance to Epcot and the Disney-MGM Studios.

Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort
Hotel Royal Plaza
Double Tree Guest Suites
Hilton Resort Lake Buena Vista
Buena Vista Palace

These Official Hotel of Walt Disney World are located inside the Walt Disney World Resort Area and maintains all Disney standards. This Downtown Disney Resort Area Hotel provides continual, complimentary air-conditioned motor coach transportation to the Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney's Animal Kingdom and Disney-MGM Studios during normal park operating hours. The resorts are within walking distance of the Downtown Disney Marketplace, and Pleasure Island.

Note, none of the above resorts allow room charging outside of the hotel itself or Disney Magical Express Service. Only Hilton and WDW Dolphin offer the Extra Magic Hours.

Remember if you have a current Walt Disney World Vacation Package, all cancellation policies still do apply.
I do not doubt the validity of this. However, if I recall correctly both the Swan and the Dolphin are operated by Starwood and unoffically one is aligned with their Sheraton brand and one is aligned with their Westin brand (Dolphin and Swan respectively). Starwood has moved all the Westins to non-smoking and, I think are starting to move the rest of their brands in that direction. Just a word of caution that you might want to check as this could change at anytime.

Upvote 0

crassmonkey

Sorry if someone already asked, but does anyone know where the smoking areas will be at the resort?? I'm fine with not smoking in my room, my fiance and I are those very rare smokers that only smoke outdoors. But it would be nice to know where we can go! (We are at POFQ by the way)

Upvote 0

mhead

mhead - but regarding smoking in a room, it's pretty easy to catch, and even if you aren't told while you are staying there, you could receive a bill or get charged for the room cleaning fee before you leave. They are spending a lot to clean every room, so can't blame them for wanting to keep them clean and charging if they aren't due to not following a policy.

Sure its easy to catch - but it is even easier to catch people walking around the parks smoking wherever they please. Also realize they will have to be able to prove that the room has been smoked in before such fines would be administered and believe it or not that is harder than you would think. Yes it is obvious but to prove exactly who did it...that is another story. Again don't get me wrong - I don't think it is a bad move or policy but I do think it will tough to enforce and just as most of the cm's in the park that walk right by smokers, nothing will ever really be done.

Upvote 0

disneydudette

When we stayed at Pop Century earlier this year, there were "public" smoking sections along tables at the pool. My mom often went out there in the morning.

I wish Disney handled this differently. With other hotels I stay in for work and travel, you are given the option of booking a smoking room. IMHO disney should have offered this and enforced the $250-500 penalty is smoking occured in a nonsmoking room.

For Instance, if you booked at the All Stars your options would be:
Standard Smoking
Standard Nonsmoking
Preferred Smoking
Preferred Nonsmoking
As disney stated in their release, demand for smoking rooms has dropped dramatically, and I understand that. So offer less smoking rooms, clean others, and keep everyone happy. Smoking rooms don't have to be offered for all room types/categories either.

I'm not a smoker and I do like the idea of being "worry free" about whether or not my room is going to smell like smoke when I check-in. Was just my suggestion though!

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

Smoking rooms don't have to be offered for all room types/categories either.

I'm not a smoker and I do like the idea of being "worry free" about whether or not my room is going to smell like smoke when I check-in. Was just my suggestion though!

Smoking rooms do not have to be offered. Actually, smoking doesn't have to be offered anywhere in any form.

I agree with the statement I bolded.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

I can confirm that at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort smoking will be permitted at campsites and on cabin porches but not inside cabins. Smoking will also be allowed in the designated outdoor smoking locations around the resort and campground.

The reasoning for why smoking will be allowed on porches but not balconies is due to the proximity of resort balconies to each other and to allow a consistent policy among the Resorts. Cabins are separate units that are spaced further apart with no two cabins having side by side porches.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

When we stayed at Pop Century earlier this year, there were "public" smoking sections along tables at the pool. My mom often went out there in the morning.

I wish Disney handled this differently. With other hotels I stay in for work and travel, you are given the option of booking a smoking room. IMHO disney should have offered this and enforced the $250-500 penalty is smoking occured in a nonsmoking room.

For Instance, if you booked at the All Stars your options would be:
Standard Smoking
Standard Nonsmoking
Preferred Smoking
Preferred Nonsmoking
As disney stated in their release, demand for smoking rooms has dropped dramatically, and I understand that. So offer less smoking rooms, clean others, and keep everyone happy. Smoking rooms don't have to be offered for all room types/categories either.

But if the info offered in the official explanation is to be believed, requests for smoking rooms has dropped to the point where it makes more sense to just not have non-smoking rooms.

Theoretically, most of the time, if people are making requests, it's probably for non-smoking rooms, with a few requests for smoking rooms. It seems that nowadays, most families with a smoker or two "condition" the smoker to not smoke around the rest of the family anyway, making them smoke on patios and garages at home, so they're used to smoking away from indoor comforts. 9I'm sure we all know someone or ARE someone who's had to excuse themselves from a dinner or DVD to go outside for a smoke. I once had a friend stay with me in my home for a year, and no smoking indoors was my only condition/request.

Which means a lot of the requests for smoking rooms come from people who either don't have kids (be it childless couples, older people traveling post "empty nest") or young unmarried couples or friends or relatives traveling together. Many people (until recently, me included) might even think Dianey resorts have been non-smoking already, and not think to make that request until on-site. Which means, during busy periods, all that may be left are smoking rooms, and there aren't enough people requesting those rooms. And you've got people who requested a non-smoking room, but smoking is all you have left.

Conversely, there may be occasions where you have too many smokers, and not enough smoking rooms. Then you have awkward situations where you have to make some smokers angry by not honoring their request for a smoking room. Resort management probably have more headaches accomodating those requests than any other, because day by day, the overall needs of the clintele change, and one day you don't have enough smoking rooms, the next day you have nothing but smoking rooms available and everyone is requesting non-smoking. Even factoring in people who request non-smoking rooms for medical reasons, you may not have enough.

So the switch to non-smoking rooms only, everywhere. They're pleasing more guests than displeasing, and the displeased guests at least know beforehand that there's no smoking in their rooms, and by staying onsite, they're tacitly agreeing to the resort's policies (including having to pay to clean a room if someone smokes in it). It's a simpler across-the-board poilcy, and therefore easier to enfore if WDW chooses to do so. There's no quarter given for people who wanted a smoking room but didn't get it who decide to make their room a smoking room anyway, and no compensation necessary for nonsmokers "stuck" in a smoking-permitted room.

There's bound to be an adjustment period, especially for smokers who are frequent visitors. But 5 years or so down the road, I'm guessing/hoping that people who insist on smoking in their rooms will be a rare exception, much like how each day in the parks you'll find some people walking around smoking, but rarely do you see it happening everywhere. Before long, you'll have guests who never even knew you could smoke in a WDW resort, and therefore won't know to miss it.

Upvote 0

MaXXimus

Original Poster
I still would have been much happier with a room within the resort being made into a smoking lounge or at the very least an attached room. Its crazy to think that just because I want a stupid smoke (yes I said stupid) that I must exit my room and exit the darned resort to have one. I would think making it outdoors would be the last place they would pick, because now anyone and everyone within a mile is going to see the smoke signals and smell it.

Im actually hoping for quitting but not until I come back from WDW... here in Delaware they just started a program for residents that if you want to quit they will hook you up with a counselor as well as the nicoderm gum and patches all at no cost!!

Upvote 0

J_Krafty24

Also realize they will have to be able to prove that the room has been smoked in before such fines would be administered and believe it or not that is harder than you would think. Yes it is obvious but to prove exactly who did it...that is another story. quote]

Part of check-in could be signing a form saying that you acknowledge that the room is free from damage (including smoke), kind of like when you move into an apartment.

Upvote 0

jmicro59

Don't confuse having a policy with enforcing one. How many times have you seen someone removed form a park, or even talked to, when smoking outside of designated areas?

I wasn't confused at all.
I wouldn't expect anyone to get removed from any of WDW for smoking where they shouldn't and I see people have to put out their death stick every time I go to WDW. Now it could be due to me standing right behind the offender and coughing loudly until they comply with WDW rules or me trotting off to get a CM to intervene either way I get what I’m after. For me, WDW putting a written policy in front of me with a dollar sign is an invitation to me to get scofflaws in trouble. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom