What has happened to the place we (used to) love?

CaptainAmerica

Give WDW maintenance all the gate you’d like but I find that rides break down at DLR far more frequently and it’s not even close. The two best rides at the resort are down very often: RSR and Indy.
With the exception of weather. The frequency of lightning at WDW in the summer is a problem, but obviously that's not Disney's fault.

EricsBiscuit

With the exception of weather. The frequency of lightning at WDW in the summer is a problem, but obviously that's not Disney's fault.
I’ve been at DLR for the last week and it rained Thursday. The lightest of light rains. Everything grounded to a halt. I asked on the RoA a CM if they were still doing F! And he said in the five months he’s worked there it had never rained! Both F! Showings and fireworks canceled. Meanwhile at MK, I have been on Main Street in the middle of an absolute deluge with wind so strong that firework shell cartridges were landing on MSUSA!

Edited to add:
B16A7976-186A-4A77-94F1-72FB26F2E228.jpeg

I had to take a picture of it because I couldn’t believe my eyes!

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Regarding covid, Disneyland Paris was closed an awful lot longer (and twice) than the Orlando parks - closed for around a year in total - but the maintenance and upkeep both after the reopenings and ever since has been amazing. I’ve posted elsewhere I’ve seen effects I didn’t even know existed working.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Give WDW maintenance all the gate you’d like but I find that rides break down at DLR far more frequently and it’s not even close. The two best rides at the resort are down very often: RSR and Indy.
We need to remember to differentiate between “breakdown” and down time.

It’s more likely to not be “broken”. Broken suggests something broke.

bryanfze55

Disneyland was the worst I’ve ever seen it this past June. Ride closures were more rampant than I’ve ever seen on either coast, and the park was littered with trash to the extent that it genuinely looked like Six Flags.

I rode Splash Mountain first thing in the morning, and there was already an empty water bottle at the bottom of the first lift hill. Ok, whatever… I told the ride attendant when I got off the ride. I rode it again at 9 PM and it was still there.

Honestly, nobody cares. The suits definitely don’t care, and I question how much some of the CMs care. But I won’t blame them, because the tone is set at the top.

It’s still a better overall experience than a typical amusement park, but it has fallen so far from just a few years ago. This is Chapek’s legacy.

castlecake2.0

Disneyland was the worst I’ve ever seen it this past June. Ride closures were more rampant than I’ve ever seen on either coast, and the park was littered with trash to the extent that it genuinely looked like Six Flags.

I rode Splash Mountain first thing in the morning, and there was already an empty water bottle at the bottom of the first lift hill. Ok, whatever… I told the ride attendant when I got off the ride. I rode it again at 9 PM and it was still there.

Honestly, nobody cares. The suits definitely don’t care, and I question how much some of the CMs care. But I won’t blame them, because the tone is set at the top.

It’s still a better overall experience than a typical amusement park, but it has fallen so far from just a few years ago. This is Chapek’s legacy.
Not making excuses, but it is very difficult to clean trash in a ride during the middle of an operating day while the ride is in motion. It’s not as simple as sending someone through with a garbage picker, there’s a lot of safety rules at play.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not making excuses, but it is very difficult to clean trash in a ride during the middle of an operating day while the ride is in motion. It’s not as simple as sending someone through with a garbage picker, there’s a lot of safety rules at play.
To be sure, go back the following day and see if a problem still exists. More so after reporting it.

Benefit of the doubt like you said, but certain things can’t be done until 3rd shift (though conversely a lot of things can)

bryanfze55

Fair enough, but that was just one example. The queues were also trashed to an extent I’ve never seen before.

EricsBiscuit

We need to remember to differentiate between “breakdown” and down time.

It’s more likely to not be “broken”. Broken suggests something broke.
Speaking of broken, Indy is in terrible shape. The snake animatronic has no movement, most of the other effects that aren’t in the main area are not working either (including the boulder scene).

DisneyDreamer08

I was at Hollywood Studios in 2001. We rope-dropped Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. The onboard audio was completely off.
Oh! This just reminded me of something 🤣
Back in 2008 or 2009, my husband and I were on RnRC and when the countdown ended, the coaster didn’t launch. We sat there for a minute or two and then it took off with no warning. There was no music the entire ride. Just the sounds of people screaming every time it went upside down. Awesome and strange at the same time 😂

el_super

Yeah... and if Disney started shutting down rides to clean trash, there might be another article complaining about all the rides breaking down.

To be sure, go back the following day and see if a problem still exists. More so after reporting it.

Benefit of the doubt like you said, but certain things can’t be done until 3rd shift (though conversely a lot of things can)

Splash Mountain at Disneyland is notorious for the lack of access to the show areas due to OSHA regulations. It wouldn't be surprising, with the current state of the labor market, that there is no one in custodial that is trained in the requirements necessary to enter a ride path after hours just to clean up a water bottle.

Definitely not an excuse here, but there are a lot of reasons why this water bottle may end up being stuck there for awhile that don't all related to just management decisions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom