What happened to dead men tell no tales

Minnie_girl

I know. It could be worse. The red spinning effect in Buzz has been out since that horrible thunderstorm in August. Buzz needs to go down for a major refurb, or better yet, redesign. Not that I mind getting Galactic hero every time, but still..
75.gif

Agree...

TP2000

PotC's audio is still hit or miss I'm afraid. It never got the ride-wide overhaul that Anaheim got. And it shows.

It certainly does!

Pirates is one of those key rides that I enjoy riding at Disneyland within a day or two of my arrival from a WDW vacation. Starting with the movie-influenced rehabs of '06 and through '09 (Disneyland's Pirates gets annual multi-week rehabs, remember), the Disneyland version of the ride really noticeably changed compared to the WDW version when it comes to lighting, audio, special effects and overall tech upgrades.

It's really a glaring difference now in the 2010's. And it's a good example of the operational differences between Disneyland and WDW.

As for the talking skull and the Dead Men Tell No Tales echoing audio, the original 1967 skull and the audio tracks (out of 21st century upgraded speakers) are still alive and well at Disneyland at least. Also Tokyo Disneyland.

Sped2424

You probably rode the ride when the sound was off or out of sync, that's usually an overnight fix, sometimes if its really bad they stop any more guests from loading and turn them away (Has happened to me twice). Overall you hear the dead man tell no tales narration right before the projection as many have stated.

You had a bad ride through, happens sadly but nothing to get too worried over, unless of course this issue with the audio stays the same. The mermaid effects make me extremely disappointed and mad, I like the addition of the song. But really the projection effects are terrible and hardly work, nearly every time I have ridden the ride one or the other projection system isn't working. Not to mention it's so quick and poorly done/looking its hardly anything to gaze at. I think a simple tail animatronic flicking out of the water would have worked much better.
As for splash I am curious why the long refurb? Did someone at TDO say eureka we can close it even longer now and really only do some work because last year guests were cool with it.

luv

I never heard the mermaids sing on Pirates. My ears aren't the best, though.

Nw I have to go ride Pirates and listen for mermaids.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
but nothing to get too worried over,
I'm afraid it is. The majority of the rides audio system is still from 1973. New speakers were installed during the Depp overhaul only for additional AAs and effects and the difference in quality and volume is apparent. Aside from intelligibility and cohesiveness, the dead area at the end of the turntable chase sequence is deafening with its silence.

Sped2424

I'm afraid it is. The majority of the rides audio system is still from 1973. New speakers were installed during the Depp overhaul only for additional AAs and effects and the difference in quality and volume is apparent. Aside from intelligibility and cohesiveness, the dead area at the end of the turntable chase sequence is deafening with its silence.
I was referring to the missing audio at the beginning. No doubt this ride needs a refurb, extensive to boot I didn't deny that once. Just saying that what the poster probably had was a bad ride through where the audio was out of sync. I'm going saturday, so I'll tell you if the beginning has its narration again.

awesomeinabox

I agree. On a somewhat busy day last week I waited about 25 mins. use your fp+ for something else
Please don't waste your FP+...we almost always beat FP in the standby line! :)
I get that. Its more of an "accomplishing tradition" thing because we have VERY limited time today after we land before we drive to Titusville for the launch. Helps facilitate the flow of my family.

SirLink

Speaking of mermaids that don't work, Ariel in "Under the Sea" was completely motionless tonight--which makes her look even more like a Real Doll. Also, the opening Scuttle blinked his eyes constantly but otherwise did not move.

On a ride that's been open since 2013, not since the 70s.

I believe they rewrote the software between DL/MK ... I swear to God, Disney and IT is like freaking oil and water especially when they do it themselves.

Marc Gil

Maybe it was just today then or something, it was def off. In fact that whole float through section of the caves didnt have any of the theme music in the background like it use to. the mermaid voice was singing, but that was it.
Following my previous post, I would also like to address a serious lighting issue in the ride. Compared to Disneyland's POTC, MK's POTC is unusually bright. You can plainly see the ceiling now. Did they ever have cloud projections on the ceiling like in Disneyland?

FutureWorld1982

*Thread Drift*

I have to say the mermaid additions are the most disappointing waste of effort I've seen in a while. I remember reading about them pre-install and when I finally saw them I was like... Really?

In the past, if a new effect didn't work in an attraction, Disney would do anything to fix it (even exchanging a projection effect with an AA). Today, it looks like they are not really worried about that. They installed the projectors, the Jacuzzi effect, and called it a day.

rangerbob

There is a projection in the water with the Mermaids. About the only thing that I saw was the bubbler that they have in the water there and the audio. The first time that I went through there after they added it I was wondering if I missed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom