What happened to dead men tell no tales

Magenta Panther

When I rode Pirates last fall, the "dead men tell no tales" line was VERY faint. And as for Blackbeard...disgraceful. Can't even seen his face clearly, just a muddle of water. And it's been like that for MONTHS, or so I understand.

discos

When I rode Pirates last fall, the "dead men tell no tales" line was VERY faint. And as for Blackbeard...disgraceful. Can't even seen his face clearly, just a muddle of water. And it's been like that for MONTHS, or so I understand.
He was like that back in april 2013 too. March 2012 he was in decent shape from what I can remember. His face was recognizable.

PeterAlt

Rode Pirates today. Why/when did they take out the dead men tell no tales echoe in the caves???
Its just not the same, in fact found all the audio to be very off/poor throughout the whole thing. I know its widely known thats its in bad shape anyway, but today seemed really bad quality.
And the railroad station announcement is gone with the booming voice, grand circle tour arounddddd the magic kingdom, all aboarrrrd!!!! It seems like more and more of the little things that made it great and "Disney" like that way are being phased out, of course the people mover narration being another. But I was surprised about dead men tell no tales. I thought it still played even with the mermaid addition, which is barely noticeable as it is.
Oh, what happened to the dead men who tell no tales? Well, they died and stopped telling tales... Because they died.

Seriously, that's awful! I hope this is fixed. If you've seen the DL version, Dead Men Tell No Tales is the thread that holds the fabric together - and you understand why this is so important to the story elements. In the WDW version, it's not that clear, but it's cool to have, nonetheless.

PeterAlt

So they've diminished "Dead men tell no tales"? What??

Admittedly, they already sort of ruined it by having the squid head guy in the mist waterfall blurt out, "Ahh, but they DO tell tales!"
Tell me they didn't? May the Tiki gods have vengeance for those responsible for such sacrilege!

RSoxNo1

The Ariel and Scuttle AAs have had their issues, but none have been down for any extended period of time to my knowledge. Like you said, attractions have good days and bad days. Sounds like it was a couple cases of bad days.
AA's break, what I will do is alert the CM at the end of the attraction of any show issues. If they don't know about it, they're usually appreciative and depending on the level of the show issue they'll send someone through the attraction to check.

I feel that a lot of the complaints on here about major animatronics being broken (non Yeti division) are isolated incidents of guests being in the right place at the wrong time. If an advanced figure isn't working properly and is in plain sight the attractions typically don't run. Aside from the yeti and hopper, can anyone cite an example of a major animatronic being broken and the show still going on?

C.FERNIE

i was there just after the mermaids were installed and they were not very good to begin with if it hadnt been for this website i would not of known they were there... the dead men tells no tales worked fine last time i rode!

eliz603

Blech. The mermaids. At the end of our last trip in early March 2013, we decided to take a quick run over to the MK before we headed back on the ME. We were in the mermaid section when the boats stopped for more than 30 minutes. Thankfully, the CMs turned off the music. It got really old, really fast. All of us stuck got a FP good for any attraction in the MK except Belle.

Slowjack

Just got back from WDW. Rode Pirates and I heard the mermaids, but it wasn't until I read this thread that I knew that's what it was, and I had to watch that video to see what I missed. I just figured it was new additional audio. The standards for what is considered "plussing" are definitely slipping. Along with other standards. In any case, it's clear that they've forgotten what the point of the pre-drop portion of the ride is: to set the scene. It's supposed to be "the present"--there's nothing but bones and detritus, and an echo of a long-away voice saying that dead men tell no tales. And then the drop, and magically you're back in the past. Movie tie-in projection dude and mermaids (in a cave? are they living there?) don't fit.

jdmdisney99

Just got back from WDW. Rode Pirates and I heard the mermaids, but it wasn't until I read this thread that I knew that's what it was, and I had to watch that video to see what I missed. I just figured it was new additional audio. The standards for what is considered "plussing" are definitely slipping. Along with other standards. In any case, it's clear that they've forgotten what the point of the pre-drop portion of the ride is: to set the scene. It's supposed to be "the present"--there's nothing but bones and detritus, and an echo of a long-away voice saying that dead men tell no tales. And then the drop, and magically you're back in the past. Movie tie-in projection dude and mermaids (in a cave? are they living there?) don't fit.
Good point. It seems they've forgotten. Anybody ever seen Hook? Well Disney's forgotten how to fly. In both HM and PotC, the beginnings of attractions have been manipulated to harm the scene setting. If anything, they could add animatronic mermaids later in the ride.

Neph-Neph

Blech. The mermaids. At the end of our last trip in early March 2013, we decided to take a quick run over to the MK before we headed back on the ME. We were in the mermaid section when the boats stopped for more than 30 minutes. Thankfully, the CMs turned off the music. It got really old, really fast. All of us stuck got a FP good for any attraction in the MK except Belle.

A friend of mine works at PotC and she says you can hear the Mermaid Song from the break room and when she closes her eyes to sleep at night it's all she hears. A terrible plight.

Fable McCloud

You probably rode the ride when the sound was off or out of sync, that's usually an overnight fix, sometimes if its really bad they stop any more guests from loading and turn them away (Has happened to me twice). Overall you hear the dead man tell no tales narration right before the projection as many have stated.
You had a bad ride through, happens sadly but nothing to get too worried over, unless of course this issue with the audio stays the same. The mermaid effects make me extremely disappointed and mad, I like the addition of the song. But really the projection effects are terrible and hardly work, nearly every time I have ridden the ride one or the other projection system isn't working. Not to mention it's so quick and poorly done/looking its hardly anything to gaze at. I think a simple tail animatronic flicking out of the water would have worked much better.

I agree completely! I think they could have done what they did on Jungle Cruise and have just a tail flick or a physical tail that moves or something to make it better. I don't know why they couldn't make something that moved in the water or floated through it or something. The projection never works and is hard to see anyway.

As for the mermaid's song...I like it, but I think that hearing Paul Frees voice doing "Dead Men Tell No Tales" and echoing as you go through the tunnel is sooo much cooler and effective for creating an experience. However, Disney is desperately trying to integrate the horrible 4th Pirates that they thought that would be a good idea. Wrong.

MarkTwain

You'd be shocked how many Imagineers don't know basic attraction backstories like this one.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom