What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

brb1006

Future World used to be dazzling white with green lawns and trees. It's so cringingly paved over with 90s concrete and tarps and garish lights and paint. If the final version looks anything like this artist's rendering, we'll be blessed. Trees, lawns, scultures and miniature shops and pavilions of steel and glass look very timeless, futuristic and CLEAN. I hope the final version looks just like this rendering. It looks so bold and new. I think my favorite part of the D23 conference were the gasps coming out of people's mouths when this concept art hit the screen.
I hope they keep the firboptic lights on the sidewalk. Better yet extend it.
maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

9560600379_d5f27a5a62_c.jpg

Unplugged

In all the various forms we've witnessed for the potential future of EPCOT, the one thing that seems to be clear, is that they are addressing the countless issues raised by guests that have been stated here as well. Those issues being related to the heat, patch work "updates", and empty shells of attractions.

We see the current announcements bringing more to do for families in the form of more IP attractions. Yes friends, like it or not, IPs like the dreaded Frozen or more aligned Ratatouille are great for families and the modern park guest. So long as they maintain the majority of the World Showcase values, I can certainly welcome some of the IPs to provide family fun and refuge from the weather.

The varying blue sky art always lends itself to what Marni has hinted at or stated when possible. That's the spine re-do is bringing a more modern look, not in the form of Blade Runner-esque architecture, but in the form of openness, greenery, water, and depending on your viewpoint, elegance. There has been so much discussion over the years about the heat in the tombstone entry and the heat in the "Dutch oven" by communicore with the buildings tightly surrounding the vast sprawl of concrete. Only my opinion, but I think moving toward the wide paths, trees, water, and smaller independent buildings for shops and dining options is the way to go. (Not too mention if gives them more practical real estate for the Food & Wine carts which is really driving their revenue stream.)

clemmo

Exactly. And @tirian believes a lot of it will be what's decided on while @marni1971 seems to believe it's very blue sky ... so we still aren't getting much in the way of details and I very much understand they likely don't want to say anything yet because it sounds like nothing has been truly greenlight. I guess we can at least look forward to no more tombstones and tarps and at the very least a new paint scheme? Some fountains and trees? The concept art seems a bit ambitious but I'd like them to follow through on it.
What's really weird is how this is still very blue sky yet it's supposed to be finished by 2021ish. Imo to meet that deadline they should be starting to narrow down to a final design within the next year or less.

troy.

The first time I went to Epcot was in 2000, I was 34 years old and worked in a shopping mall. I hated Future World to my core. Everything felt like a really bad shopping mall. I enjoyed the rides, as well as some of the interactive elements. But being from California (Disneyland) my expectation was an immersive feeling. Even walking into "The Land" pavilion was difficult. I felt Living with the Seas without Nemo and Friends achieved a good level of immersion, as did everything in World Showcase. I enjoyed architectural elements of the facades of Future World as a whole but not the interiors. Not much has changed unfortunately.

I wonder if in addition to the spine work, some of the buildings couldn't be opened up. Specifically The Land's food court. If the center area is more park like, why not treat it like a city park surrounded by city buildings. Maybe even with better themed separate entrances for Soarin' and Living with the Land. Also put some work into the buildings and space between them to make it feel like a city environment. This could also hide some of the bad sight-lines throughout Future Land.

As many times as Walt accidentally called it the "City of Tomorrow" instead of the "Community of Tomorrow" let's make that true. And seeing how much Walt wanted a city to be part of "The Florida Project", let's finally give him that city, if only in theme park terms. He planned a grand city. He even envisioned shopping areas themed to different parts of the world. In Future World, you could even take architectural elements from his original plans with subtle details to make it look like a larger city than it is.

Of course people work in this city helping with natural resources and exploration of space and advancements in transportation. And even some are working to help us reach our potential through our imagination. It is a very progressive city. I can't get my head around why the Guardian would be there, but they plop themselves everywhere uninvited.

I would even be ok with a stylized "Progress City" looking hotel somewhere of to the side. This is Walt's dream City after all, not just the "Center" of it. It would be his dream EPCOT. The Experimental Prototype City of Today (or Tomorrow), but not of the future. No future needed. Just look around you, you're in the city. It's here. You are in EPCOT!

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is certainly still a work in progress but as of now it's possibly looking like...

New entrance plaza
Part demo of Innoventions
Part new builds around Innoventions
New performance space
New fountains
Possible removal of a few other key structures that I can't mention yet
LOTS of landscaping, parkland, trees, pathways

It's a big project. Futureworld will look very different.

MCast

This is certainly still a work in progress but as of now it's possibly looking like...

New entrance plaza
Part demo of Innoventions
Part new builds around Innoventions
New performance space
New fountains
Possible removal of a few other key structures that I can't mention yet
LOTS of landscaping, parkland, trees, pathways

It's a big project. Futureworld will look very different.

When would they firm this up and initiate construction? That's a large endeavor that will disrupt Epcot (unless done in phases).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom