What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

tirian

I really like the green look of the area. If the aesthetics and lighting give it that futuristic look I am all for it. Communication structures were starting to look dated and create an unecessary clutter. When they were built they were full of life slowly those buildings had not much of interest
The most obvious solution would be a permanent space for tech companies to relocate their annual trade show booths, guaranteeing the latest tech displays annually, but of course that makes too much sense.

RSoxNo1

I haven't seen Disney put out a true high res piece of concept art for Future World, but I was able to take this screen grab.
FutureWorld2.jpg

djkidkaz

How many years did it take them to redo the hub at MK? This seems like it's expected to be a much larger project than that.

SteamboatJoe

While it certainly does look like a lot of the buildings as we know them will cease to exist but I don't think there is going to be as much vast open, undeveloped green space as everyone thinks (though there is a fair amount). As others have mentioned, the drawings are purposely vague but I think I see some structures hidden within the greenery. There seems to to be something located on the south side of SSE. The coloring there does not look natural. There also appears to be an L-shaped building just east of SSE. There is definitely a circular structure just northeast of the Imagination pavilion inside the monorail ring and a smaller pagoda building to the north of that.

I also think one or more of the buildings could possibly be wholly or partially integrated in with the topography and the landscaping which also makes them sort of hard to discern. The Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland is a good example of this design concept. It's pretty much all located beneath The Mall. Just place a bunch of paths, trees, and some Disney magic on top of all that lawn.
ProjectImage

SteamboatJoe

and please somebody tell me that the heck is this supposed to be?? floating black triangles 1000' high?View attachment 216328

It's like a Rorschach test. I stared at it for a while and thought I saw a butterly perched on top of what I assume is a building. Reminded me of the butterfly topiary from the Flower and Garden festival that was placed just outside of the Illuminations FP area between Port of Entry and Disney Traders.

Donaldfan1934

Future World used to be dazzling white with green lawns and trees. It's so cringingly paved over with 90s concrete and tarps and garish lights and paint. If the final version looks anything like this artist's rendering, we'll be blessed. Trees, lawns, scultures and miniature shops and pavilions of steel and glass look very timeless, futuristic and CLEAN. I hope the final version looks just like this rendering. It looks so bold and new. I think my favorite part of the D23 conference were the gasps coming out of people's mouths when this concept art hit the screen.
This post is exactly on point. I see no reason not to be excited about this. With Future World 3.0, we're finally getting the ground up redo that has needed one so desperately. Everything revealed so far sounds great. My only concern going forward is the yet to be revealed fate of the Imagination pavilion. But that aside, this project has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for the future of Future World after years of mishandling and neglect.

jklakeview

I just saw that picture on this website of the central section of future world being redesigned. Looks like a lot of buildings are being demolished in future world around the fountain from what I can make out. What do you think of what you see on that picture?

May I ask where you saw these pictures? I can't find the plans anywhere

Captain Neo

I haven't seen Disney put out a true high res piece of concept art for Future World, but I was able to take this screen grab.View attachment 216412

I doubt the refurbished spine will look anything like that. The Maze next to the Land and that weird island of trees and waterfalls in front of it seem like gigantic wastes of money and that large swimming pool in front of Journey into Imagination is impractical. I think it's more likely the Communicore buildings will be chopped up into smaller buildings (like in the Project Gemini blueprint). I'm personally incredibly disappointed with what they showed I was hoping for something more radical, sleek and futuristic. Also aren't they under contract with Starbucks they just added that location less than 2 years ago.

Donaldfan1934

I'm thinking that what they are trying to do....Even the concept art on the new version shows a Hedge maze between The land & Imagination....You can see it above Tom's head...
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/07/FutureWorldUpdate-630x341.jpg
And the Project Gemini Concept showing the hedge maze on the top right side.....This is turning out to be Gemini 2.0....
gemini.jpg
I made the exact same connections when I saw the concept art during the presentation. I couldn't agree more that this project is very much Gemini 2.0.

Donaldfan1934

For now it gives an idea in the direction they are looking at, not how the final product will be.

It could have most of the details in the art or it could have very few.
Do you any idea of what parts of the concept art will most likely come to fruition aside from what was formally announced at D23?

sedati

Future World used to be dazzling white...
Was any part of Future World white? Tomorrowland used to be mostly white. I always thought of Epcot Center as fifty shades of beige. Earth Station was lighter, but I think it was a pale gray. Of course in the bright Florida sun, everything could be gleaming. I'm not picking on your comment, it just caused me to run through all of vintage Epcot in my memory and I couldn't come up with anything that was white. Or did you just mean that it was cleaner?

sedati

Sorry to be lame for a second here, but I've been reading this forum for years and I still don't understand the context of the term "blue sky". Can somebody give me a history lesson or at the very least tell me where it came from? Thanks!

The term as I understand it means "The sky's the limit." Early in a development process before the constraints of budget, land, or even engineering possibilities, there's that time when they're putting together a basic idea or concept. This would seldom resemble the final product, and in many ways prove impractical- think of it as the embryonic state of an idea.

Here's a dictionary version for the term:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blue-sky

Maeryk

It looks impressive, but I wish they could retain the communicore buildings...

I do too, but it almost feels like they don't know how to utilize them. They used to be wide open, with kiosk/attractions one after another, all drawing you in and further into the building. Then they went with the smash lab and stuff, and that was.. okay, I guess. But the last iteration before it was shuttered was... saddening. Look, a trash truck! Look! A firetruck. I mean, really disney?

If they can't figure out content and concept to do that again, to make it airy and open and bright, rather than a dark, cavelike experience.. they should probably just bag it and try something else.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, July 19. Since the close of this spring's Flower and Garden Festival, the west pathway between Future World and the World Showcase, near the Imagination Pavilion, has been closed and surrounded by construction walls. From the monorail, you can see ground construction for more permanent displays during the festivals.

IMG_9850.JPG

IMG_9852.JPG

IMG_9853.JPG

SuzGM84

While I really like all the new directions that Epcot is taking, I'd be concerned about the loss of Electric Umbrella due to it being really the only large capacity QS restaurant in Future World (if not the only one?). I'd hope that if it goes away, we get another QS with similar offerings for picky eaters/people who want a quick bite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom