What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

Kman101

I imagine they want the spine overhaul done by 2022, Epcot's 40th. But who knows? It's something they could easily keep putting off, though Future World badly needs a cosmetic makeover STAT

Maeryk

I imagine they want the spine overhaul done by 2022, Epcot's 40th. But who knows? It's something they could easily keep putting off, though Future World badly needs a cosmetic makeover STAT

They could do quite a bit simply by pulling back on the cosmetic overlays (as noted by others) that they have done over the years. While it's all the same buildings, that part of FW looks almost nothing like it did back in the day.

Even just replacing the greenery with something toipary, and getting back to the gleaming white and glass would go a long way to improving it. Those buildings were awesome looking before they had stickers in the windows and marquees all over them.. and the current paint job is just.. ugh. It looks like someone put up paint chips and forgot to take them down.

Kman101

They could do quite a bit simply by pulling back on the cosmetic overlays (as noted by others) that they have done over the years. While it's all the same buildings, that part of FW looks almost nothing like it did back in the day.

Even just replacing the greenery with something toipary, and getting back to the gleaming white and glass would go a long way to improving it. Those buildings were awesome looking before they had stickers in the windows and marquees all over them.. and the current paint job is just.. ugh. It looks like someone put up paint chips and forgot to take them down.

Absolutely completely agreed. They could do a lot by doing just a little. Really not sure what they were on when they decided to paint Future World those colors. Trimming some foliage to see glass windows again, adding topiaries, some trees, removing the tarps and pin station, they really could do a lot without it seeming like a huge undertaking. Not sure why it isn't a priority but I don't run the show ... lol

Maeryk

Absolutely completely agreed. They could do a lot by doing just a little. Really not sure what they were on when they decided to paint Future World those colors. Trimming some foliage to see glass windows again, adding topiaries, some trees, removing the tarps and pin station, they really could do a lot without it seeming like a huge undertaking. Not sure why it isn't a priority but I don't run the show ... lol

When we walked in in Feb, after the paint job, I told my wife it looked to me like they were doing color testing.. see which one looked best.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
How has the prospect of having online shopping not been brought up before now? This is strictly my opinion, but the last I checked, Amazon and online shopping are becoming the norm. Why would Disney want to waste a chunk of space on a gift shop when the same products can be found online? I understand buying items in the moment. There's something to be said about physically holding product before purchasing it. But if the Communicore buildings are getting axed, I feel that space can be used better for something else.

Also, in regards to the two story shop that was there before the Millennium celebration: why hasn't Disney considered more buildings with 2+ stories? It would leave them with more room on the ground.

You do understand the power of merchandising and impulse buying holds with Disney management, right? Getting rid of the retail space held by MouseGear isn't in their best interests. Merchandising is at the heart of their synergistic plans/plots/schemes, it ain't going away. Besides, there isn't much that can go where MouseGear currently sits other than... retail or M&G's. I'll take the former.

"Mom, after riding Frozen Ever After, I want a Princess playset!" "Sorry, honey, they used to have that at MouseGear, so you'll have to wait until we get home to get it because I have to order it on the 'Shop Disney Parks' app."

Getting rid of the largest merchandising location in Epcot would go over about as well as a fart in church.

As for 2 story buildings... Well, it's the "blessing of size" they have in the swamps, don'tcha know? That's why they continue to add rides and attractions and don't have to rip out... oh wait...

Maeryk

You do understand the power of merchandising and impulse buying holds with Disney management, right? Getting rid of the retail space held by MouseGear isn't in their best interests. Merchandising is at the heart of their synergistic plans/plots/schemes, it ain't going away. Besides, there isn't much that can go where MouseGear currently sits other than... retail or M&G's. I'll take the former.

"Mom, after riding Frozen Ever After, I want a Princess playset!" "Sorry, honey, they used to have that at MouseGear, so you'll have to wait until we get home to get it because I have to order it on the 'Shop Disney Parks' app."

Getting rid of the largest merchandising location in Epcot would go over about as well as a fart in church.

As for 2 story buildings... Well, it's the "blessing of size" they have in the swamps, don'tcha know? That's why they continue to add rides and attractions and don't have to rip out... oh wait...

Two story buildings has more to do with moving crowds than anything. With the explosion of hoverrounds and strollers, ramps are pretty much the only efficient way to move people to a second floor.. and those take up a LOT of space to get a grade that is ADA complaint. So it's just easier to sprawl.

Also, they could do plenty with the space that is MouseGear. Just as it was a display pavilion before the gift shop went in there.

SpoiledBlueMilk

MouseGear used to be a very beautiful, 2 level store that carried mostly EPCOT themed goods and had a higher end Gallery space...Years later that was dumbed down to the wal-mart like shop full of miscellany that is now is... I wouldn't mind losing it altogether for a special, beautiful shopping venue... Go to World Of Disney if you just wans miscellaneous Disney stuff...
But with the removal of all the buildings, I am afraid it will be Spaceship Earth, then a dead zone park of trees and planters that goes on for Acres before you actually get to any attractions, shops, or restaurants... So part of me likes the general feel, but it feels vacant...

I actually like the fact that it's as eclectic as it is. For visitors who are only going to Epcot for a day trip or for whatever reason, it's good to have a store with variety in the park. It's by in large by favorite in the parks.

Timothy_Q

Probably longer. They have several ambitious multiyear projects starting next month, so that is their five year development plan. This is likely in the 10 or 20 year longview, and, as such, subject to a lot of change.

They'd never release concept art for a 20 year plan.

Marni has already stated the planned schedule for this project

It's still due to complete during 2020 last I heard.

Maeryk

They'd never release concept art for a 20 year plan.

Marni has already stated the planned schedule for this project

You are referring to the concept art? Or the removal of the tombstones and repaint?

Many of the blogs are saying that the tombstone and entrance view change is planned and will be happening. As for the blue sky stuff shown at D23.. I'm not convinced on that.

If Marni wants to weigh in.. I'd love to hear his thoughts.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You are referring to the concept art? Or the removal of the tombstones and repaint?

Many of the blogs are saying that the tombstone and entrance view change is planned and will be happening. As for the blue sky stuff shown at D23.. I'm not convinced on that.

If Marni wants to weigh in.. I'd love to hear his thoughts.
The central spine from the (lack of) turnstiles all the way to showcase plaza and including Innoventions is all still scheduled to change.

Maeryk

The central spine from the (lack of) turnstiles all the way to showcase plaza and including Innoventions is all still scheduled to change.

Wow. Okay. Change as in the "blue sky" art? Or just change, somehow?

That's a heck of a lot of construction in one park, and centrally, in one park, in a short period of time.

And to be clear.. I'm talking about "by the anniversary" not "at some point down the road".

Rodan75

I'm assuming that they would do this one section at a time to minimize disruption, if they did this like they did the MK hub, we are looking at 2-3 years of disruption along the spine. When do you think they would start? This seems like something that would need to start this Spring at the latest.

Cmdr_Crimson

The non Communicore building Epcot Center reminds me a little of the old Project Gemini work in future world.
I'm thinking that what they are trying to do....Even the concept art on the new version shows a Hedge maze between The land & Imagination....You can see it above Tom's head...
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/07/FutureWorldUpdate-630x341.jpg
And the Project Gemini Concept showing the hedge maze on the top right side.....This is turning out to be Gemini 2.0....
gemini.jpg

Dapper Dan

What confuses me most about this design is that the original Communicore Plaza ponds and lawns were paved over to create more room for crowds. This plan appears to have far less pedestrian space than even the original configuration. Combine that with the loss of the buildings and this is a major reduction of park capacity.

Viget

I'm thinking that what they are trying to do....Even the concept art on the new version shows a Hedge maze between The land & Imagination....You can see it above Tom's head...
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/07/FutureWorldUpdate-630x341.jpg
And the Project Gemini Concept showing the hedge maze on the top right side.....This is turning out to be Gemini 2.0....
gemini.jpg

Who were the imagineers on Gemini? Was Fitzgerald one of them? As they say, old good ideas never die at WDI.

Also, @marni1971 is the plan to shoehorn movie IP into *every* pavillion? Looking at this concept art, I see two major themes: space/transport in West vs. exploration/discovery of the natural world in the East. East already has IP Seas with Nemo, I could see a moderate refurb to make it look more like the Marine Life Institute in Finding Dory, with adding some of the outdoor components that would then transition into a rainforest-theme in front of the Land. I could see adding Zootopia IP to Land (or just outside of it) with those (elevated?) walkways reminiscent of the chase scene from the movie. And the hedge maze just can't help but make me think of Alice in Wonderland, which could be a good fit for Imagination (after all WDW needs an Alice ride!). Though, I would prefer a return of Figment and Dreamfinder.

On the West, we already know about UoE becoming GotG, something new would go into WoL, hopefully, M:S will stay as is, possibly with IP overlay, likely not, and TestTrack could just complete its metamorphosis to truly be Tron-Track. That way you get rid of the sponsor problems (when would Chevy's sponsorship be up?).

Eventually, something would change with Spaceship Earth (though I hope not!), but perhaps the new post-show will tie the ride in to the new "vision" of Epcot.

I am not advocating for the total IP-ification of EPCOT, but I see the upside to it. No need to worry about sponsors any more, attractions would have predictable maintenance schedules, and would hopefully be plussed from time to time, and it would be timeless, so as to not ever stagnate. I think there are ways to achieve this AND also keep the original mission of EPCOT "to entertain, inform and inspire"

Again, not saying this is *my* preferred direction, but if it needs to be done, I think it will be done well.

Don't know how EPCOT as a name stays, it will be interesting to see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom