What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

Bocabear

I could see them renovating the innoventions buildings into sleek all glass and steel buildings to modernize them. Additionally, I do not think it is unlikely that they could try and split the buildings up into smaller ones so that they can create more green space.

I'm tempted to say it is just unfeasible to completely dismantle the buildings and their surrounding infrastructure. The only problem with keeping them 'as is' would be answering the question of what to fill the buildings with. A shop and restaurant, sure, but there would still be significant space left behind. What might have worked as filler in the 1980s and '90s will not work in our day and age.
Thing is, the buildings themselves are beautiful modernist structures...if the glass was not covered up with stickers and paint, if the paint whent back to white, if they sat on their original simplified landscape, you would see the monumental and clean futuristic lines again... the clutter and years of rehabs and additions have covered the very beautiful buildings that are there. They could if they wanted to, open them back up, scale back the landscape close to the buildings and let them be the breezy glass pavilions that they once were and were always designed to be...

Disney4family

upload_2017-7-19_8-12-3.jpeg
I honestly never liked the new paint scheme they recently added.

raven

Not sure why they would attempt to move Mousegear, which is the largest store in Epcot and attracts the most guests.

Mousegear's position inside the park is there for a reason, and not just to attract the most guests. Have you noticed that you are albe to walk around the entire Mousegear building and never notice a dock or large garage-door type entrance for the massive deliveries of merchandise needed to keep the store stocked? This is because 95% of the merchandise back-stock for this store is located and delivered underground. Due to its location within the park, in the center of guest areas, they didn't want delivery docks located around the building. All deliveries are delivered via the tunnel under the "C" shaped Communicor building and stored in 2 massive storage rooms under Mousegear, then sent upstairs via a conveyor belt and elevator. Deliveries take place all day long through this tunnel without guests even realizing it.

Electric Umbrella, Starbucks Fountainview and the old Pizza Piaza restaurant used similar types of services located under their facilities (mainly food storage and kitchens) which are still being utilized.

Removal and relocations of these facilities would mean they would need to relocate all of these areas as well. I'd love to see something new and exciting become of Mousegear and the rest of this area but these are jus some of the difficult details that have to be considered as well.

Maeryk

Ive always been fond of mouse gears for some reason but I'm definitely cool with it leaving. I'm mean GEARS in future world is just kinda lame. Also I'd probably be sad if Art of Disney closes I have some pretty fond memories of that place as well harkening back to my first trip.

Let your "Imagination" run wild at our new Glass Pyramid gift shop! Featuring two floors of collectible merchandise featuring the Disney characters you love! And introducing our groundbreaking "darkstore" concept. Board your vehicle and move through the Collector's Warehouse. As you do so, using your Imagination Blaster on the vehicle, choose which items you would like delivered to your resort hotel.. or shipped directly to your home, (for a modest handling fee) all with your Magicband! Simply zap the items into your cart, and tap on the way out! Remember, mickey to mickey and wait for the chime!

Kman101

LOL at this blue sky concept being picked apart. Common sense should tell you they aren't going to be without a merchandise shop. Common sense should tell you they'll likely save a building or two and repurpose them ..... I swear we look for problems in anything and everything.

Maeryk

LOL at this blue sky concept being picked apart. Common sense should tell you they aren't going to be without a merchandise shop. Common sense should tell you they'll likely save a building or two and repurpose them ..... I swear we look for problems in anything and everything.

Not so much looking for problems, but reading into what is released. There's three pages complaining about the peter quill polaroid. With vehement arguing on both sides.. "it's a joke" vs "No, it's the concept, and thus, it will suck".

People with Disney announcements/concept art are like DaVinci code level sleuths. and lord knows, we've seen enough times where if you turn your head sideways and squint.. a LOT, the final product kinda looks like maybe it bears some resembance to the concept art.. but people still run with it like it's carved in stone.. even when they say "blue sky drawing".. which means "don't take any of this to the bank".

MrHappy

Not so much looking for problems, but reading into what is released. There's three pages complaining about the peter quill polaroid. With vehement arguing on both sides.. "it's a joke" vs "No, it's the concept, and thus, it will suck".

People with Disney announcements/concept art are like DaVinci code level sleuths. and lord knows, we've seen enough times where if you turn your head sideways and squint.. a LOT, the final product kinda looks like maybe it bears some resembance to the concept art.. but people still run with it like it's carved in stone.. even when they say "blue sky drawing".. which means "don't take any of this to the bank".
Understanding it's blue sky, however, trying to get a handle on the concept and general staples that it would include is the thing that I'm trying to find. Clearly, and as Martin said before, lots more greenery (check) is a huge theme here, I would argue the blue sky has too much...almost AK levels. Looks like lots of smaller satellite buildings for shops, foods, and what ever. I'm still trying to understand the walkways across the lagoon and where exactly WS starts in the drawing. Generally, I like the "concepts" they have going on...not necessarily the blue sky rendering of it.

Maeryk

Understanding it's blue sky, however, trying to get a handle on the concept and general staples that it would include is the thing that I'm trying to find. Clearly, and as Martin said before, lots more greenery (check) is a huge theme here, I would argue the blue sky has too much...almost AK levels. Looks like lots of smaller satellite buildings for shops, foods, and what ever. I'm still trying to understand the walkways across the lagoon and where exactly WS starts in the drawing. Generally, I like the "concepts" they have going on...not necessarily the blue sky rendering of it.

I'm wondering what the black hole looking things represent. While I'm all for shady spots.. I agree that looks more like AK than Epcot in my mind. The big fountain with the triangles (Drones?) is where the splash pad is now. So WS is not in the drawing at all.. the walkway that exits at the bottom leads to WS.

Maeryk

A fleet of Drones :) (just kidding)

It could well be. Disney did patent using drones to make large, floating characters "move" through the sky.

The issue ATM remains using them directly above people. If one fails and falls on someone, that's gonna be a paddlin for Disney.

Maeryk

I'm all for more greenery ... Wonder how long we'll have to wait before we get more art and actual details? D23 2019? LOL
Probably longer. They have several ambitious multiyear projects starting next month, so that is their five year development plan. This is likely in the 10 or 20 year longview, and, as such, subject to a lot of change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom