What do you do on check-in day?

need2go2wdw

Original Poster
Everyone has their traditions, so I was wondering what everyone does on their check-in day.

I'll start - We usually stay at AKL and always try to get there as early as we can (doesn't end up being earlier then noon usually), so upon check in, if we happen to be dragging any luggage with us, we either check it with BS or take it to the room if its ready. We then go to Mara for lunch. On a nice day, we take a swim in the pool (one of our last trips it was torentually downpouring, so we sat on the balcony and watched the animals hide from the rain!) then after getting showered and ready to go we head to DTD for some browsing/shopping to get an idea of what we want to buy during our stay. We then grab a bus to WL to get dinner at WCC. After dinner, we boat to MK to grab a bus back to AKL.

Occasionally we deviate a bit (such as dinner, or like I said, swimming if its not nice) but we usually like to kick back and relax the first day, then hit the parks fresh and ready to go the next morning!

Bonus Question: Who is as crazy as me having wonderful thoughts, multiple times a day, of how nice it would be for it to be my check-in day and what I'd be doing if it were :eek: ???

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I just make sure I have what I need with me for the parks for that day because ME wont have my luggage in my room. Once checked in we will go to our room drop our bags off and head to Epcot for lunch, and Soarin. Then we hop the monorail to MK...Its tradition!

rodserling27

I usually check-in during the evening, and I don't have any long-standing traditions.

I've started a new one where I check in and after getting things set-up in the hotel room, we head to DTD for some ice cream and Ghirardelli's and to shop around World of Disney. I try to avoid going to the parks on check-in day, especially if we're getting in after 12n (which is usually the case as I am flying...).

Then on the first full day, it's ALWAYS the Magic Kingdom.

Master Gracey 5

I used online check in when I went last fall. I arrived at Orlando about 10am, got on a ME within 15 minutes of getting off the plane, had my keys and was dropping my stuff off in the room about an hour after we landed!

After that its lunch either at the resort or at the park and a marathon day until the last park closes. On the nights MK is open until 3, we've been up a solid 23 hours by the time we get to bed!

cblodg

A lot depends on what time we check in. Lately we've been doing afternoon check ins. As such, we tend to go to the room and veg for a while, then maybe go to DTD for dinner or just stay and explore the resort (we did that when we were at WL).

If we check in in the AM, then we go to the room and check it out, then head to a park (usually MK or EPCOT).

marcriss

After checking in at the YC we head down to DTD for a little lunch (usually the Earl) and a quick check of the Lego store for my son and WOD for the rest of us. Then we head back to the room, relax with a cup of coffee in our reusable mugs. Then we head over to Epcot for champagne from France and a little walk through WS before dinner at R&C and Illuminations.

And to answer the bonus question: I think about it being our check in day several times a week!:) Sometimes I can even smell it in the air....

need2go2wdw

Original Poster
I used online check in when I went last fall. I arrived at Orlando about 10am, got on a ME within 15 minutes of getting off the plane, had my keys and was dropping my stuff off in the room about an hour after we landed!

After that its lunch either at the resort or at the park and a marathon day until the last park closes. On the nights MK is open until 3, we've been up a solid 23 hours by the time we get to bed!
Wow! Being at MK until 3am sounds like a blast! We should have done that before having a kid! I don't think it would be responsible of me to keep a 2 year old at the MK until 3am! Maybe we should take one of her Grandma's with us to stay behind while we ride BTM til the wee hours of the morning! :lol: I don't think I could wake up the next morning! I probably coulda done it when I was 20! Darn it, I'm getting too old! :eek:

need2go2wdw

Original Poster
After checking in at the YC we head down to DTD for a little lunch (usually the Earl) and a quick check of the Lego store for my son and WOD for the rest of us. Then we head back to the room, relax with a cup of coffee in our reusable mugs. Then we head over to Epcot for champagne from France and a little walk through WS before dinner at R&C and Illuminations.

And to answer the bonus question: I think about it being our check in day several times a week!:) Sometimes I can even smell it in the air....
It's so funny you say that you can smell it in the air because that happens to me all the time too! Just the other day, something I smelled so totally reminded me of walking outside of the Mara near the pool at AKL and it took me back there in an instant! My DH agreed! It happens alot with the DCL too. Something in the air will just instantaneously transport me back to being on the ship!

I think it's something Disney puts in the air...subliminal air messages...:lookaroun

flyer31

We don't usually get there until the evening hours so first night is pretty much just check-in, go to the room and get settled in, grab a bite to eat and then go check out the rest of the hotel. Then it's a good night's sleep before a full day at the Magic Kingdom!!!

fosse76

I like to get a flight that gets me in around 11AM or noon. Magical Express delivers my luggage, and then I hit Epcot :)

I'm similar. I try to take flights that will get me in by noon. Take the DME to my resort and check-in. After I check-in to the resort I drop off my bag in my room (only once has my room not been ready) and I head off to a park. I'm not consistent with park choice, however. Sometimes it's DHS, sometimes Epcot. Never DAK (I like to be there early in the mornings). Only once was MK my first park.

wendysue

Check in and head for Epcot. My husband HAS to ride SSE first thing. Give him what he wants....I say. That is where we will be this SATURDAY!!!!:sohappy:

PurpleDragon

We always drive to WDW, so upon check-in we take our stuff and take it to the room and crash for a good hour or so cause driving 6-8 hours always wears me out. The time we arrive plays a major role in what we do, often times we get there in the late afternoon/evening hours, so usually we'll grab some dinner at the resort and possibly go swimming before calling it an early evening to be rested for the next day. However if we get there mid-day usually we'll try to hit a park around dinner time and grab a bite in the parks and watch the fireworks.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
When I fly [most trips] I arrive at MCO at 1PM, take DME and am checked in by 2:30. then off to a park. I usually have an ADR for dinner and I'll go to the park it's at or near.

If I drive and take the Auto Train I'm at the resort a little earlier, but the routine is the same.

I have APs now, but with MYW tickets adding a day is so inexpensive [unless t's the 11th day on a ticket], how could you not go to a park? :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom