What do resort guests do during a hurricane?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
well, that just depends on if it is a family trip, or a FAMILY trip. if the relatives are in the next room, we would probably have to do the card games and what not, but if it was just me and the wife........................ hhmmmmmm, i just dont know....................

marynorth

I was wondering if the park was closed for a day, do you get some sort of credit if you were on the package with a length of stay pass? I just reviewed my terms and conditions from the WDTC, and although it does state that WDTC is not resposible for losses as a result of acts of God (which a hurricane would be), I read these conditions as applying to the resorts and not to the tickets/parks. I'm a lawyer, I can't help it, but it is a valid question. Also, my husband is convinced that we are "safe" now that a hurricane has hit the Orlando area since we are going in September. But I'm from South LA. and it is not uncommon to have 3 hurricanes in one season hit the same spot.

prberk

marynorth said:
I was wondering if the park was closed for a day, do you get some sort of credit if you were on the package with a length of stay pass? I just reviewed my terms and conditions from the WDTC, and although it does state that WDTC is not resposible for losses as a result of acts of God (which a hurricane would be), I read these conditions as applying to the resorts and not to the tickets/parks. I'm a lawyer, I can't help it, but it is a valid question. Also, my husband is convinced that we are "safe" now that a hurricane has hit the Orlando area since we are going in September. But I'm from South LA. and it is not uncommon to have 3 hurricanes in one season hit the same spot.

They may give you a credit if you really ask for it and complain, but they are not responsible for inclement weather. No rain checks.

In this type of situation (hurricane), I think it would be rather obnoxious to ask for credit, especially after staff of the resort has gone to special effort to WORK in the storm to keep up hotels, etc., for your safety and pleasure while their less-sturdy homes are probably at risk. Not to mention leaving their families to take care of you and the resort. They DID say that people with reservations during the hurricane could cancel or change them without penalty. I think that is enough. Since they did that, if you came anyway and stayed there during the hurricane, I do not think you would be right to argue for more.

Figment1986

I heard that the guests get out their video camera and try to catch some great moments on tape.... imagine seing a disney sign flying past your window... now that would be worth something in the future....

They also go into the lobby and eat...

dznyfan64

We were there in Sept 1999 during Hurricane Floyd - we had a great time! Disney was fabulous! Since the only park open was AK and we had already been there we took the opportunity to see all of the other hotels and do some shopping. The only thing we were asked as we went through each guard stop was not to eat at this hotel because the hotels were only stocked to handle their # of guests at this time! That was no big deal to us.

Cast Members told us that Disney allowed them to bring their family members to the hotels and stay in rooms free of charge so that the cast member would not have to worry about their families and have added stress! I was impressed by this! :animwink:

mandib

My friends at Coronado Springs right now. She's been IMing most of the day and just bored out of her mind. She said they can't leave until Monday when they were supposed to leave early tomorrow. I just hope Charley dies down before it gets to Disney. Save the mouse!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Al said:
I remember reading somewhere that the last time (and wasn't it the first too?) that Disney closed the parks they put on activities in the hotels for guests, and things like they - I should imagine they'd do the same again.

Hmmmm activities..... like:

-Lets see who can fold this huge pile of resort towles the fastest.

-Let see who can get the most stains out of there resort room rugs.

FUN "activities" like that I bet. :lol: :lookaroun :p

stuart

I dont know if it will die down that much.

Im guessing it will hit in the next few hours. It is under 100 miles south southwest of orlando on a course of north northeast at 22mph. Max winds 140mph or so.

For more go to www.wftv.com , which is where i know this before someone asks how i know this living in scotland.

or of course www.weather.com

FutureKid

I think resort guests would go to the gate at the MK to see them removing the spires of Cinderella's Castle....because, as we all know, they can be removed during a hurricane!! :lol: :lol:

SO IF ANYONE"S AT DISNEY.....POST PICS OF THAT NOW!!!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Other fun "storm activitities" include EXTREME hurricane Parasailing on the 7 seas lagoon.... and "Who can stand on top of Spaceship Earth the longest without being blown off" ... with no harness or ropes of course.

Both cost $299 and DVC members get a 15% discount, lunch is not included. :wave:

stuart

FutureKid said:
I think resort guests would go to the gate at the MK to see them removing the spires of Cinderella's Castle....because, as we all know, they can be removed during a hurricane!! :lol: :lol:

SO IF ANYONE"S AT DISNEY.....POST PICS OF THAT NOW!!!

I just feel sorry for the people who mite be staying in wdw or orlando reading this who dont believe you and wont go see this, what mite be a once in a lifetime opportunity to go take some pics and videos of a very rare Disney moment. :lol:

Ringo8n24

DMC-12 said:
Hmmmm activities..... like:

-Lets see who can fold this huge pile of resort towles the fastest.

-Let see who can get the most stains out of there resort room rugs.

FUN "activities" like that I bet. :lol: :lookaroun :p

I love it. That would be Eisner's suggestion...get some free labor out of it. :rolleyes: :)

stuart

DMC-12 said:
Other fun "storm activitities" include EXTREME hurricane Parasailing on the 7 seas lagoon.... and "Who can stand on top of Spaceship Earth the longest without being blown off" ... with no harness or ropes of course.

Both cost $299 and DVC members get a 15% discount, lunch is not included. :wave:

Both definetely in the top 4 of " 'The Top 7 Things To Do At Walt Disney World During A Hurricane' with your host Krissa."

raven

What do resort guests do during a hurricane?

Just about anything they want. It's still a fre country. A little storm isn't going to change that. :animwink:

JoeyJoe

stuart said:
I just feel sorry for the people who mite be staying in wdw or orlando reading this who dont believe you and wont go see this, what mite be a once in a lifetime opportunity to go take some pics and videos of a very rare Disney moment. :lol:

That is a rumor. The spiers of the castle do not come off.

Maybe after they take apart the castle, they can go inside and unfreeze Walt Disney's body, and pursade him to finally build the Western River Expedition in Frontierland!!

That rumor has been running around for years. I worked in the Magic Kingdom for years and had a friend who was head of custodial. He once brought me to the top of the castle after park closing and there is no possible way of anything being taken apart with a wrecking ball.

Don't hold your breath for pictures....... :p

stuart

JoeyJoe said:
That is a rumor. The spiers of the castle do not come off.

Maybe after they take apart the castle, they can go inside and unfreeze Walt Disney's body, and pursade him to finally build the Western River Expedition in Frontierland!!

That rumor has been running around for years. I worked in the Magic Kingdom for years and had a friend who was head of custodial. He once brought me to the top of the castle after park closing and there is no possible way of anything being taken apart with a wrecking ball.

Don't hold your breath for pictures....... :p

I think that if you read both my post and FutureKids post you will see a slight amount of sarcasm , why we both have lauging faces. We both know that the spiers cant come off.

I bet that the two of us are goin to get pelters from people who have believed us and gone out. well i doubt very much anyone did but u never know...

Mr.MouseFan

From a person staying at BWI today: (reposted from the DIS boards)

******* 6:30 pm UPDATE *******
We are in the room now.. the CM?s took in the deck chairs and table?we are getting messages every half hour from the staff. Later on because all of the food places are closed the BW will have complimentary food in the lobby. They are also showing Disney movies on TV in the rooms?Nemo, Big Bear, Mosters Inc for the kids.

We went down into the BWI lobby?they had some characters for the kids?Tigger, Eeyore, and Belle. There were food tables set up all over the lobby along with big drink buckets. (but alas NO beer) It was a mad house, lines going every which way. The food was in little bags and boxes. One bag/box contained a ham or turkey sandwich, an apple or banana, and a bag of popcorn or chips. There were also baskets full of cookies and those peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that you pay 4 bucks for at the parks. Needless to say we picked up a few of them as a little payback since we paid for them just the day before. (I don?t think Uncle Mike will miss the 16 dollars)

We took the loot back to the room. Then went out exploring on the BW. It was empty but the General Store was still open. We walked by it and noticed a fresh supply of ?yes BEER in the freezer. I ran in?err I mean I walked in and purchased a six-pack of Coors Light. My wife doesn?t drink but she picked up a pre made Fuzzy Navel in a bottle. She said she would only use it in case of emergency..that emergency being locked up in a hotel room with her three children. (Matt, Nick, and me). (Hey so the three of us think farting is funny, just because she never cut one, why take it out on us?)

We asked the CM?s in the GS if they were going home soon. They said no they couldn?t get home because the roads are all closed down. They said Disney would probably put them up in the BW Convention Center. We also met a lot of people that checked in who were evacuating from Tampa. They were laughing that they left Tampa just to get hit with Charley in Orlando. (I didn?t dare tell them my name was Charlie..I introduced myself as Joe)

The news is now saying we will get hit at 10:00 pm. It is raining like cats and dogs here every once and a while. We just had a nasty storm a few minutes ago.

This is what was on a paper that they were giving out at the parks today:

If this park closes early today due to Hurricane Charley, your theme park admission will be automatically reactivated for use at a later date.

If your theme park admission has an expiration date, in the event of an early closing, please present your ticket at your resort Front Desk for further assistance.

If you have any questions, please visit Guest Relations or the Front Desk at your resort.

We hope you enjoy your day.

This is what was slipped under our room door:

Dear BoardWalk Guests:

THIS IS AN URGENT MESSAGE!

Due to the proximity of Hurricane Charley, the possibility is imminent that this area will be under storm conditions. In view of the size, strength, and possible path of this hurricane, we recommend that, if you are in a building away from the main lobby, you remain in your Guest room for your safety and do the following:

Keep away from windows and stay on the far side of the room.

Keep your connecting room doors open during periods when privacy is not necessary.

So that we may reach you in the event of an emergency, DO NOT double lock your Guest room door.

Leave your Guest room blinds or drapes closed and all patio furniture in the room.

DO NOT leave your room until notified.

For your enjoyment, we will have a continuous showing of the following feature films on these channels:

Finding Nemo Channel 14
Monsters Inc. Channel 18
Brother Bear Channel 23

Please continue to closely monitor the weather on your in-room television. We will advise you when the weather authorities have determined that the storm has passed. Also, please contact the Front Desk if you have any questions or require further assistance.

Sincerely,

The Cast of Disney?s BoardWalk Resort

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Beat me to it

stuart said:
They watch 'The Top 7 Things To Do At Walt Disney World During A Hurricane' with your host Krissa!! :lol:

Good Show, I thought of that and figured I'd be clever but you beat me to it. Kryssa 150 times in a day...I think I might even get tired of her. :lol: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom