What Disney things used to scare you when you were a kid?

acishere

You better get comfortable because this is going to be a long post.

Lets start with Disney movies.
- Bambi: The moment that gunshot went off, I wanted the movie off.
- Pinocchio: "Mom, what happened to all the other kids on that island?" Its a good thing I totally forgot the place was called Pleasure Island or I would of had a panic attack every time we went to the marketplace. Although I would of been a lot less angry when it closed.
- That movie from the early 90s where Reese Witherspoon's family is gunned down by poachers in Africa.
- Mighty Joe Young: I have no idea what happened after that ferris wheel scene. I emotionally shut down at that part.
- Return to Oz: This is tied with Watership Down as the movie that scarred my childhood. The wheelers, the closet full of heads screaming, and that pumpkin that kept calling Dorothy mother basically were in a massive competition to haunt my dreams.

And since this a WDW site lets go over all the rides that scared the *bleep* out of me...
- Haunted Mansion: I closed my eyes and put my fingers in my ears. Only part I heard was when the Ghost Host said a ghost would now be following me home. That didn't go well.
- PotC: I was ready to be tough and ride it. Then I saw that freakin skeleton steering the ship and I did the same thing that got me through HM.
- Snow White: I hate that witch. I hate her. She just kept coming at us, then she murdered us with a boulder.
- GMR: That alien scene freaked me out.
- Alien Encounter: I couldn't plug my ears thanks to that stupid restraint. I screamed. My mom was laughing and thought the ride was hilarious. I was mad at her the rest of the day.

Now that I have un-suppressed these memories maybe I won't need to pay for therapy.

lilclerk

Spaceship Earth absolutely petrified me on my first trip. I was about 6 and thought I was going to fall out of the ride car all the way down to the bottom. I got a souvenir video on Epcot Center that showed the building of SSE and watched it over and over until the tape snapped, that was how I got over my fears, haha. To this day, it's one of my favorite rides, but I still get nervous on the descent.
The Heffalumps and Woozles scared me a lot, too, but I did the same thing and just watched it a lot.

AllyInWonderland

Original Poster
Spaceship Earth absolutely petrified me on my first trip. I was about 6 and thought I was going to fall out of the ride car all the way down to the bottom. I got a souvenir video on Epcot Center that showed the building of SSE and watched it over and over until the tape snapped, that was how I got over my fears, haha. To this day, it's one of my favorite rides, but I still get nervous on the descent.
The Heffalumps and Woozles scared me a lot, too, but I did the same thing and just watched it a lot.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I was scared of going down backwards on SSE too! :)

AllyInWonderland

Original Poster
The Brave Little Toaster movie scene when the air conditioner goes berserk. Also in this movie when the evil clown appears in a creepy dream sequence.

Alice Through the Looking Glass (1985)
Okay, so this isn't a Disney film (I don't think), but it was shown on the Disney Channel way back in the day. The one character most kids remember is that %$#*&% Jabberwocky! The scene where it pushes Humpty Dumpty & starts chasing Alice through the woods. Another scene when it jumps out through a mirror. Another scene when it pops out of a birthday present & starts attacking the characters.

Bambi scene when they first reach the meadow. It's quiet, foggy, and Bambi's mother tells him to stay low while she checks it out first. Even though nothing bad/scary happens, it was very eerie when she's observing the meadow. The music score is spooky, and you keep wondering what's going to happen.

Pinocchio scene when Lampwick sprouts ears & transforms into a donkey.

The wolf from Lambert the Sheepish Lion cartoon short.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Large Marge scene. Another non-Disney film, but certainly shown on Disney Channel quite often back in the glory days. I'm sure you all remember Large Marge the truck driver. I'm sure you all remember what happens to her face. Enough said.
I looked up the clips of the Alice movie with the Jabberwocky scenes, and yes that looks REALLY scary! :eek:

Marco226

Ok, this was really freakin' scary as a little kid:
10246024_gal.jpg

This pretty much gave me nightmares for a whole year:
tumblr_lrq5567htm1qik7kl.jpg

And I swear this thing spat on me and I really thought I was going to die...
TGMR-25-Aliens.jpg

FettFan

The Disney Aliens always freaked me out, both at the Great Movie Ride and at Alien Encounter.

And I swear this thing spat on me and I really thought I was going to die...
TGMR-25-Aliens.jpg

Sweet. Never knew they used the clear dome on his head so you could see the skull through it.

Heck...I never realized it was a whole body prop....thought it was just the torso on a track that came down and flailed about.

Joshrzmeup

The Beast from Beauty and the Beast. Seriously, the first time i saw it in theaters, I had to hide in my dad's coat every time he came on the screen. But, it's now my favorite movie - of all time.

The Haunted Mansion still creeps me out - even at 28. I honestly don't know why. But I finally faced my fear in 2010 and went on it while keeping my eyes open the whole time. Still creepy to me.

Our first trip to DL in 1992 - we have on video one of us (me or one of my brothers - we kind of sound the same when screaming in terror - though my parents both swear it was me) screaming and crying that we did NOT want to go on space mountain, and all thanks to my dad. He had told us that there were upside down loops and that he had heard that people had fallen out recently because the lap bars came undone mid-ride, plus - it was a ride in the pitch black. Granted, I was only about 6 or 7. But to this day, I still have to make sure my lap bars are extra-tight and hold on extra tight on thrill rides that go upside down because of it. (he's also the reason i'm afraid of heights and noises outside my window - but those are stories for another time).

lilclerk

Oh how could I forget Dinosaur! I'm 28 and have still never kept my eyes open through the whole ride. Nooo thank you. I had a hard time on Jurassic Park too, but I'm okay on that one now, go fig. That's one of my favorite movies, though.

MountainMedic'sWife

This is a great thread. Such trauma! :) I can't really think of much that I was afraid of as a kid, as long as I had seen it or ridden it before. I was always a little apprehensive if I didn't know for sure what was coming up. Even later on as an adult, Alien Encounter made me a little nervous just because I didn't want something to touch me and make me scream. I don't like to scream. :p Once I had been on it, then I was no longer nervous about it. ('Course, we didn't like it anyway, so we didn't go back on it.:D)​
Anyone afraid of the dinosaurs on Ellen's Energy Adventure?​

Californian Elitist

The opening of The Fox and the Hound. In fact, I just watched that movie not too long ago and I still found myself a little scared. It's way too quiet at first, then that eerie and suspenseful music starts creeping in. The dog barking in the background just made it even worse for me, when I was little. I always fast forwarded that part (back when there were no DVD players!).

The "touch the spindle wheel" scene in Sleeping Beauty. Once again, way too quiet and the music was too suspenseful for me. When Maleficent first appears as the green ball of smoke and her evil eyes are glowing in the dark... WTH?! Way too scary for children! Aurora's trance scared me even more. I hated that scene as a kid.

Shere Khan from the Jungle Book, specifically two scenes. The scene where he's eavesdropping on Bagheera and Baloo's conversation about how Shere Khan is dangerous and has no trouble killing Mowgli. I guess establishing the fact that Shere Khan was a killer scared me. The other scene that scared the crap out of me was the countdown scene, where Shere Khan gives Mowgli a ten second head start to try and run away. I used to cry during that part hahaha.

Forte from Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas. In case no one has seen the movie and has no clue what I'm talking about, here:

tumblr_lgitrtL8sw1qdq3ajo1_500.jpg

Stromboli and the Coachman from Pinocchio. Need I say anything else? Also, the scene where Pinocchio and Lampwick are drinking and smoking and the donkey transformation part. What the heck?! That scene is terrifying!

Snow White running through the scary woods. Enough said. I even cried when she screamed and fell to the ground.

Speaking of Snow White, I always have and always will be afraid of Snow White's Scary Adventures at Disneyland. Of course, that's where I got assigned when I participated in the college program. My fear of the ride has only gotten worse. The entire Fantasyland team (attractions CMs, food, retail) had a Fairytale Ball in Fantasyland after closing one night. We all came dressed up... It was like prom all over again, but at Disneyland (the ball was way better than my own prom). Anyways, some of the rides stayed open for us, but were altered in some way. King Arthur's Carousel and Pan operated normally, Toad kept the lights and the sound on, Pinocchio was a walk-through and Snow White's lights AND sound were turned off. My friends begged me to go on Snow White with them and I thought why not? When is one ever going to be able to experience Snow White with both the lights and sound turned off again? Oh. My. Goodness. MISTAKE! It was pitch black, except for one part (witch at her boiling pot was glowing green) I could hear all the squeaky sounds coming from the aged vehicle wheels and I could hear all the animatronics still working, even though there was no sound. I screamed the entire way but when I heard the witch open one of the doors but I couldn't see her, that just about did it for me. I never screamed so loud in my life. As soon as it ended, I jumped out of the cart and ran back to Peter Pan, in my 4.5 inch heels. Now I'm really scarred for life.

Some of the rides that scared me: Pirates, Mansion, Thunder Mountain (only after that accident occurred in the late 90s), Space, Indiana Jones, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Storybook (I thought Monstro would eat us), Snow White, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Matterhorn (I got over that pretty quickly), Jungle Cruise, specifically at night (still scared of that ride at night) a lot of the rides at DCA... I was a big chicken. Even the characters scared me, including the mouse himself.

Texas84

I'll confess, Dinosaur still scares me because I don't like loud noises and things jumping at me in the dark. Even though I know where they all are now. ToT absolutely terrifies me but it's so much fun!

When I was a kid the Haunted Mansion cemetery scene scared me. Seems like those jumping ghosts were louder and more numerous back then. The first time I saw the end of the stretching room scared me but it didn't after that.

muse1983

I remember how exciting it was leading up to our very first WDW trip in the summer of 1991. Of course my dad purchased several vacation planning guide books and I scoured through all of them. I remember the moment I got to this exact picture.... From then on out I was absolutely terrified of getting on the Great Movie Ride. A couple of months later we were walking around MGM studios and were suddenly standing in line at the GMR about to embark on a journey through the movies and come face to face with this nightmarish image that had haunted me for weeks leading up to the trip. Suffice to say, the moment I saw that we were entering the Nostromo ship, I put on my sunglasses, pulled my baseball cap down as far as it could go and just looked down until we had exited.
29denpw.jpg

Killnme

Bre'r Fox. He once pretended to be a statue when I was 8, and when I went over to take a picture with him and my 4 year old sister, he sprung to life and scared the you-know-what out of us! LOL

That happened to me at Sea World with a Shamu Character. Then Pluto did it to me at Disney. I think that is why I think it is a waste of time to wait to take pictures with the characters.

When I was little (around 6) I rode Space Mountain for the first time and cried my eyes out through the whole ride. I went back a couple of weeks later and rode it with my dad (back in the day when 2 people could sit in the same seat) and since I was on it with him I was screaming go faster, go faster. Come to find out years later my dad is terrified of roller coasters, but didn't want me to be that way so he rode it with me. I have a cool dad.

JillC LI

That happened to me at Sea World with a Shamu Character. Then Pluto did it to me at Disney. I think that is why I think it is a waste of time to wait to take pictures with the characters.

When I was little (around 6) I rode Space Mountain for the first time and cried my eyes out through the whole ride. I went back a couple of weeks later and rode it with my dad (back in the day when 2 people could sit in the same seat) and since I was on it with him I was screaming go faster, go faster. Come to find out years later my dad is terrified of roller coasters, but didn't want me to be that way so he rode it with me. I have a cool dad.

You DO have a cool dad! Fortunately I don't have to be that kind of cool mom because my hubby is a thrill-ride lover. I do, however, have to suck it up and go on the Teacups with DD because she adores them and my hubby hates them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom