What did you do?

OG Runner

Did a 5K run this afternoon. We’re back to teleworking so I can take advantage and go out in the late afternoon when temps are the highest and there is still daylight.

Yes, it is getting to be that time of the year again. It is getting dark before 6:30pm and it isn't getting light until almost 7:00am.

dreamfinder

2.16@7:37 today.
This leads me to my final pre-training question. Normally I run at about a 13:30 pace. Which I intend to keep for my Tuesday, Thursday maintenance runs. However, for my long runs the program specifically tells me to run 2 minutes per mile SLOWER then what I expect to run on race day. Is this a practice that is normally followed on long runs? Or do I just keep my current pace?
If you are following a plan, follow the plan as best you can. Galloway is about getting you to do the miles. If you go all out at race pace without having the mileage base, you won't be able to add on the miles. Other plans may not follow that mentality of going so slow on the long run, but that is his philosophy.

JillC LI

Hi all. Checking in again :) Still following my normal protocol of 3 runs per week: two are 3-4 miles and one is 6-8 miles. This weekend I ran 8.5m and felt strong enough to continue quite a bit longer in the refreshingly cool air but decided not to push it because running these local hills always hurts my lower back so it wasn't worth it. But I'm feeling good. I'm happy that DD is continuing her newbie running at college, and DS (21) has decided to run his first half marathon so suddenly old mom can provide some advice to him (I couldn't when he was just running short speedy races). Glad to see everyone is doing well. Try to be patient @Edward Jackson - you'll get back up to speed when your body is ready.
Training has me going for 4 miles the week before, the week after it’s 5. On the day of the 10k it’s a 3 mile walk/run that I will be extending.
Since you are new to all this, I'll share my thoughts with you and you can do with them what you please :) If you complete 4 miles the week before for the first time, I think you will be ok doing a run/walk of 5 miles the following weekend. But you will notice that the training schedule generally has you increasing your long run one week and then dropping it down the next week before ramping it up further the following week. That is to allow your body time to adjust. So just take it easy for the 10K.
I have finally settled on an Interval Tracker that I am happy with I had to change my old tracker for a variety of different reasons but just opted to switch to this new one. The new app is called “Intervals Pro” and offers full Apple Watch compatibility. It also enables me to have spoken announcements while having music playing and no ads! Another cool thing I can do now is name my workouts so I went though and set my timers for all the races I have coming up.
We runners love numbers. Distance, time, overall pace, pace per interval, etc. But the truth is that for a new runner who is trying to complete a distance for the first time, the only thing that matters is finishing. So have fun keeping track of the numbers, but for now the only one that should matter is distance.
In other news, I got another piece of equipment. A “double flask belt” from Nike. I don’t make the names. Basically it’s a belt that has two bottles that fit inside as well as a zip up pocket for my phone. Should be nice to have water for the longer runs when I start training and a spot for my phone. As opposed to just putting it in my pocket.
Love my fuel belt. Just seal the tops tightly! I always put fruit punch gatorade in them, and I learned my lesson when one spilled and turned me pink from the waist down! LOL
This leads me to my final pre-training question. Normally I run at about a 13:30 pace. Which I intend to keep for my Tuesday, Thursday maintenance runs. However, for my long runs the program specifically tells me to run 2 minutes per mile SLOWER then what I expect to run on race day. Is this a practice that is normally followed on long runs? Or do I just keep my current pace?
Those pace suggestions are for someone who is an experienced runner and is trying to accomplish a time goal, not just a FINISH goal. If 13:30 is your comfortable pace, then I would just do most of your runs at that pace. I did nearly every run at the same pace when training for my first marathon.

Good luck to you! I can sense your excitement about all this and it's great!

Surferboy567

2.16@7:37 today.

If you are following a plan, follow the plan as best you can. Galloway is about getting you to do the miles. If you go all out at race pace without having the mileage base, you won't be able to add on the miles. Other plans may not follow that mentality of going so slow on the long run, but that is his philosophy.
Hi all. Checking in again :) Still following my normal protocol of 3 runs per week: two are 3-4 miles and one is 6-8 miles. This weekend I ran 8.5m and felt strong enough to continue quite a bit longer in the refreshingly cool air but decided not to push it because running these local hills always hurts my lower back so it wasn't worth it. But I'm feeling good. I'm happy that DD is continuing her newbie running at college, and DS (21) has decided to run his first half marathon so suddenly old mom can provide some advice to him (I couldn't when he was just running short speedy races). Glad to see everyone is doing well. Try to be patient @Edward Jackson - you'll get back up to speed when your body is ready.

Since you are new to all this, I'll share my thoughts with you and you can do with them what you please :) If you complete 4 miles the week before for the first time, I think you will be ok doing a run/walk of 5 miles the following weekend. But you will notice that the training schedule generally has you increasing your long run one week and then dropping it down the next week before ramping it up further the following week. That is to allow your body time to adjust. So just take it easy for the 10K.

We runners love numbers. Distance, time, overall pace, pace per interval, etc. But the truth is that for a new runner who is trying to complete a distance for the first time, the only thing that matters is finishing. So have fun keeping track of the numbers, but for now the only one that should matter is distance.

Love my fuel belt. Just seal the tops tightly! I always put fruit punch gatorade in them, and I learned my lesson when one spilled and turned me pink from the waist down! LOL

Those pace suggestions are for someone who is an experienced runner and is trying to accomplish a time goal, not just a FINISH goal. If 13:30 is your comfortable pace, then I would just do most of your runs at that pace. I did nearly every run at the same pace when training for my first marathon.

Good luck to you! I can sense your excitement about all this and it's great!
Thanks for all the answers to my questions guys! I really appreciate the help.
I played with this in my head, the reason why I think I want to switch my 10K to Halloween is a couple of reasons first and most importantly. Is the program which I am trying to follow to the best of my ability.

I figure by running/walking it on my 4 mile day (turning into a 5 mile run/walk and a 1 mile run) is better. I rather push myself for a long mileage on my long run days then sacrifice a recovery week. I know I am kinda breaking the plan any way I go, but I feel like doing it on that 4 mile day is the lesser of two evils. This way after I do the 10K I have a recovery week to get me back on my feet, as well as to continue the plan without interruption. I’ll take it easy, but try to do the best I can. I feel that I am capable of doing it after all it’s really just 1 extra run/walk mile. Then another to walk/speed walk.

The only time I may run into another interruption is for the Marathon Weekend 10K as that technically takes place on another day. Much like Wine and Dine though, I have the flexibility to move around the race day to better align with my Fairytale Challenge training. Which is my ultimate goal to complete, as it is the race I plan to have my best times. As well as just finishing the challenge on time is good enough.

Of course, it’s not really about the times my one and only rule is to complete the races as I would an on property one which means about the 16 min a mile which I am routinely outpacing as is. The better times are just an added bonus. I would like to improve with every race.

Side Note: I made a custom Wine and Dine 10K playlist for use on my run.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Thanks for all the answers to my questions guys! I really appreciate the help.

I played with this in my head, the reason why I think I want to switch my 10K to Halloween is a couple of reasons first and most importantly. Is the program which I am trying to follow to the best of my ability.

I figure by running/walking it on my 4 mile day (turning into a 5 mile run/walk and a 1 mile run) is better. I rather push myself for a long mileage on my long run days then sacrifice a recovery week. I know I am kinda breaking the plan any way I go, but I feel like doing it on that 4 mile day is the lesser of two evils. This way after I do the 10K I have a recovery week to get me back on my feet, as well as to continue the plan without interruption. I’ll take it easy, but try to do the best I can. I feel that I am capable of doing it after all it’s really just 1 extra run/walk mile. Then another to walk/speed walk.

The only time I may run into another interruption is for the Marathon Weekend 10K as that technically takes place on another day. Much like Wine and Dine though, I have the flexibility to move around the race day to better align with my Fairytale Challenge training. Which is my ultimate goal to complete, as it is the race I plan to have my best times. As well as just finishing the challenge on time is good enough.

Of course, it’s not really about the times my one and only rule is to complete the races as I would an on property one which means about the 16 min a mile which I am routinely outpacing as is. The better times are just an added bonus. I would like to improve with every race.

Side Note: I made a custom Wine and Dine 10K playlist for use on my run.
Wow...I can’t believe I was so blind and totally forgot about this week’s long “run”. Instead of the 3 miles I am supposed to do on Saturday, I’ll make it 4. Then run/walk for 5 miles on Halloween, and walk/powerwalk the rest. Then the following Saturday, back to normal training with a recovery week...can’t believe I was so blind and didn’t notice that. This works out nicely.

I already hit a 5K distance on my maintenance runs so going an extra mile isn’t a big leap at all. After the Wine & Dine 10K is over...I’ll be back to training as the plan says (hopefully) without interruption.

Surferboy567

Another Galloway maintenance run today.

Improvement on Pace 12:40 today as opposed to 12:54 on Tuesday. Normal little more then a 5K distance.

Will be upping my long run to 4 miles (from 3) on Saturday in preparation for the 10K.

OG Runner

Another Galloway maintenance run today.

Improvement on Pace 12:40 today as opposed to 12:54 on Tuesday. Normal little more then a 5K distance.

Will be upping my long run to 4 miles (from 3) on Saturday in preparation for the 10K.
Excellent. It sounds like to are sticking to it with a good plan. Remember, maintenance runs are just that.
You really should not be pushing the pace. Follow the plan and you will have plenty in the tank when you
run and finish the 10k.

Surferboy567

Excellent. It sounds like to are sticking to it with a good plan. Remember, maintenance runs are just that.
You really should not be pushing the pace. Follow the plan and you will have plenty in the tank when you
run and finish the 10k.
Definitely, I was thinking about this myself. I’ll probably slow down on future runs, want to finish with strength.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
We're back in the office and I really don't want to wake up at 0500 to run right now. Maybe next week.

Just the opposite for me - we’ve gone back to mandatory teleworking and since I am essential staff it means I can go to the office but I don’t have to go to the office. So today I ran up (literally - half the distance is up a hill) to the office to empty out the drop box in the parking lot and then I walked back home (I knew I’d need to go on a conference call and didn’t want to be winded). Total distance was 4.65 miles. And now the forecast is for about 36 hours of non-stop rain.

Texas84

Just the opposite for me - we’ve gone back to mandatory teleworking and since I am essential staff it means I can go to the office but I don’t have to go to the office. So today I ran up (literally - half the distance is up a hill) to the office to empty out the drop box in the parking lot and then I walked back home (I knew I’d need to go on a conference call and didn’t want to be winded). Total distance was 4.65 miles. And now the forecast is for about 36 hours of non-stop rain.
Our telework was always optional and I took the option. But now they are bringing us all back in. I love teleworking. Saved me two hours every weekday.

OG Runner

Our telework was always optional and I took the option. But now they are bringing us all back in. I love teleworking. Saved me two hours every weekday.

That was the only thing I liked about working from home. When it was 4:30pm, I was done and could usually be out the door
and on the roads, by 4:45pm. I only have a little over a half hour commute, with it getting darker earlier it is getting harder
and harder to get home, get changed, get out and have time for a decent run before the sun sets.

GenerationX

We went to mandatory work from home in March and only recently opened the offices to everyone. However, we have a virtual first policy, so working from home is still expected. It has been great for my running. I can run during the daylight hours most any day of the week. I check the weather and my work schedule, and plan my runs accordingly. Finished work yesterday and got out there while it was in the mid-60s and still light here in Chicagoland. Felt great.

Surferboy567

Did my first Galloway long “run” today:

Time: 53:32
Distance: 4.02
Avg Pace: 13:19

Got my pace up a little, was happy with the results.

My next long “run” will be the Wine and Dine 10K on Saturday. I may run a little more then I said before, all depends how I feel during the race!

dreamfinder

Sat was 5kish (slightly over), about a 7:52 pace, submitted that as the 5k for #FinishStrong since those are supposed to be done in Oct. Sat was 4@10ish, with my DS in the jogger, but mid run he did about a 1k to earn his medal for "Captain Jack's Treasure Run". Pretty cool pirate looking octopus thing. Runs with the jogger always wreck havoc on the time, but this was more about just getting some miles back in. I'll take 2 days in a row, as it's been a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom