What did you do?

JillC LI

Still here and enjoying the updates. Temps are finally cooling off a tad here which is nice. You folks running non-virtual races are brave - I'm to nervous to even do training runs on the same trail where other people are running without masks. I only run around my neighborhood these days where it is easy to stay very far from people.
So, enjoying the move to Tejas, are we? 😉 I thought you did most of your running on a dreadmill.....
Yeah I love it here except for the heat in the summer and the damn hills. I generally only do one run per week indoors on the TM, occasionally two.
A quick question regarding training:

So the Wine & Dine 10K is on November 7th it will be my first 10K ever. That being said my actual training begins on October 20th (for fairytale challenge). Meaning I’ll be 3 weeks into the plan before I have to run the 10K. My question is if the run is supposed to be 3 miles (it’s a long run) can I just add 3 more miles on to it? I don’t want to change any of the days since I have carefully planned it so that certain races occur on days I need them. I also don’t want to mess up my overall training.

For example, I am using the fairytale challenge plan to also train for the 2021 Star Wars Virtual Half, as well as Oswald.

EDIT: Another thing my 30/30 run walk pace...I assume I have to keep that on my long runs? It states you can go as slow as you want but I am assuming fast enough that you can run?
I agree with @Swissmiss that if you haven't run at least 5 miles in training before the 10K, then I wouldn't run a full 10K that day.

Surferboy567

I agree with @Swissmiss that if you haven't run at least 5 miles in training before the 10K, then I wouldn't run a full 10K that day.
Will 3 miles be the longest you’ve ever run (or 3.1 if it’s a 5K)? Because doubling your mileage without working up to it increases your risk of injury. You may want to think about doing your run/walk for around 4 miles and then just walking for the remaining 2.2.
Training has me going for 4 miles the week before, the week after it’s 5. On the day of the 10k it’s a 3 mile walk/run that I will be extending.

This is all from the Galloway advanced challenge plan on runDisney’s site.

Maybe I can push it to 5 mile run/walk 1 mile just walk? Or maybe that is pushing it too much.

OG Runner

Training has me going for 4 miles the week before, the week after it’s 5. On the day of the 10k it’s a 3 mile walk/run that I will be extending.

This is all from the Galloway advanced challenge plan on runDisney’s site.

Maybe I can push it to 5 mile run/walk 1 mile just walk? Or maybe that is pushing it too much.

It really depends on how you are feeling on your runs. If they have been comfortable through 4 miles, doing the 10k on race
day should be doable. Remember, to just maintain your pace. Definitely do not go out too fast and run by feel. In the end,
make sure to let us know how it went.

Surferboy567

It really depends on how you are feeling on your runs. If they have been comfortable through 4 miles, doing the 10k on race
day should be doable. Remember, to just maintain your pace. Definitely do not go out too fast and run by feel. In the end,
make sure to let us know how it went.
I‘ll keep everyone well updated though this whole process. Another key thing is keeping to my training schedule since the main goal is prep for Fairytale Challenge.

Right Now: Week 1, long run has me going for 3 miles (which I basically do everyday as is)

Week 2, long run has me going for 4 miles

Week 3, which is 10K day long run has me going back down to 3 miles

Week 4, long run has me going for 5 miles

...I don’t get to 6.5 miles till Week 6

As it stands now, I think I should be able to make it 4-5 miles running and walking on 10K day, then walking the rest. I just don’t want to mess up Princess training as more races are contingent on this plan such as the Marathon Weekend 10K, Star Wars Virtual Half, and Princess Weekend.

Wouldn’t mind getting a better time and plan for my first official virtual runDisney 10K though.

OG Runner

I did get good news yesterday at PT. I had my gait analyzed. I was told the injury had nothing to do with my mechanics.
(Yes, it was hard to leave with my ego being as large as it was.) I have also been given the green light to start a run/walk
regime. My first plan try will be Sunday morning. Here I go again.

Surferboy567

I have finally settled on an Interval Tracker that I am happy with I had to change my old tracker for a variety of different reasons but just opted to switch to this new one. The new app is called “Intervals Pro” and offers full Apple Watch compatibility. It also enables me to have spoken announcements while having music playing and no ads! Another cool thing I can do now is name my workouts so I went though and set my timers for all the races I have coming up.

This leads me to a question I had though (which will probably be answered tomorrow by myself) the app offers full tracking of the run, distance, the works. Should I use this app to track the run or use the standard Apple workout app from the watch? Reason I may use the app is because it seems the data from the app is way more detailed, the only thing I worry about is how accurate the data is coming from the app. It is using Apple Health to track workouts and normal read outs from the watch. I’d assume it is pretty accurate but won’t know for sure till I use it on my run tomorrow then compare the data.

Regardless, What does everyone think I should do? I’ll test it tomorrow and see how it goes, but does anyone have any experience with something like this? The app also offers the ability to turn the in-app tracking off just being a timer at that point. I can easily switch back if I need to, which is handy.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I have finally settled on an Interval Tracker that I am happy with I had to change my old tracker for a variety of different reasons but just opted to switch to this new one. The new app is called “Intervals Pro” and offers full Apple Watch compatibility. It also enables me to have spoken announcements while having music playing and no ads! Another cool thing I can do now is name my workouts so I went though and set my timers for all the races I have coming up.

This leads me to a question I had though (which will probably be answered tomorrow by myself) the app offers full tracking of the run, distance, the works. Should I use this app to track the run or use the standard Apple workout app from the watch? Reason I may use the app is because it seems the data from the app is way more detailed, the only thing I worry about is how accurate the data is coming from the app. It is using Apple Health to track workouts and normal read outs from the watch. I’d assume it is pretty accurate but won’t know for sure till I use it on my run tomorrow then compare the data.

Regardless, What does everyone think I should do? I’ll test it tomorrow and see how it goes, but does anyone have any experience with something like this? The app also offers the ability to turn the in-app tracking off just being a timer at that point. I can easily switch back if I need to, which is handy.
I’ve used the Under Armour Map My Run and Nike apps regularly, both are free but have additional features for a fairly minimal yearly fee (tracking heart rate, outside temp, customized splits, etc). The folks that do the trail runs I participate in from time to time swear by Strava, but I haven’t really checked it out yet because I’ve used Map My Run for all my stuff all year but may switch come January.

Also, I think part of accuracy and such comes from where you are running, my Apple Watch worked great when I was on well defined roads, but is all over the place when I go on trails, I recently invested in a Garmin to hopefully get more accurate results off the beaten path with a more specialized watch with more gps capabilities.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

I’ve used the Under Armour Map My Run and Nike apps regularly, both are free but have additional features for a fairly minimal yearly fee (tracking heart rate, outside temp, customized splits, etc).
This was another reason I went with intervals pro. It has most of these features you listed here but instead of a yearly subscription it was just one small fee.

Where I am running might have something to do with it...hadn’t thought about that. I’ll let you know tomorrow how the run tracking goes. I’ll do this by comparing the Apple Workout data with the Intervals Pro data and go from there.

Thanks!

dreamfinder

Any 3rd party app should rely on the data coming from the device you are using, be it phone or watch. So if the GPS on the phone says you did 3 miles, Strava or MapMyRun or RunkeeperPro or whatever you use should all say 3 miles. The same should apply if it's getting the data from the watch. I would expect some slight variation if they work off of steps w/o GPS, and they assume different stride length, but I still believe they get distance from the watch.

Surferboy567

Any 3rd party app should rely on the data coming from the device you are using, be it phone or watch. So if the GPS on the phone says you did 3 miles, Strava or MapMyRun or RunkeeperPro or whatever you use should all say 3 miles. The same should apply if it's getting the data from the watch. I would expect some slight variation if they work off of steps w/o GPS, and they assume different stride length, but I still believe they get distance from the watch.
I can confirm, it did indeed work. The app is definitely accurate. Just did my normal run and compared it with yesterday’s run almost an exact match. Little more then a 5K distance.

The only thing about the app I don’t like is for some reason it DOESN’T appear to record splits for each mile. Which is strange, as it speaks it to you while on the actual run.

Other then that this really made my running experience much better. So many features I didn’t have that I have now. For example, the intervals are now on my Watch which makes a huge difference. As my phone is normally in my pocket while running. Like I said before, it speaks when I hit a “run” or “walk” interval though my headphones which is so helpful. Every time I hit a mile it will also let me know my distance, and pace.

This was also the first run where I used headphones for the entire run. Before, with the other app I couldn’t listen to music or even use headphones. This one simply cuts in when it has an alert. I think the alerts make me more mindful when running. Having music is a big plus as well.

My watch also pulses 5 seconds before an interval changes, which is really nice. This helps me better track the walking and running.

As for the workout summary the only two things that are missing is the splits (as mentioned above) and elevation (which I never really cared about anyways).

It obviously still has the avg pace for the entire workout.

One thing that is ADDED to the summary that makes it better is interval data. It records every interval distance, pace, etc.

Sorry for that long post but there ya all go.

Surferboy567

Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to run outside today. So tonight, I had to use the treadmill...I really missed outside, was much more tired on the treadmill and was slower (it could just be inaccurate tracking though). Will be back to my normal outside run tomorrow.

Did a little more then a 5K as normal.

In other news, I got another piece of equipment. A “double flask belt” from Nike. I don’t make the names. Basically it’s a belt that has two bottles that fit inside as well as a zip up pocket for my phone. Should be nice to have water for the longer runs when I start training and a spot for my phone. As opposed to just putting it in my pocket.

Surferboy567

Will be back to my normal outside run tomorrow.
Of course, after saying this yesterday. Weather wasn’t the best today so had to use the treadmill again. Should improve soon so I can resume outdoor runs.

Little less then a 5K distance...will do a little more later to make it a little more then a 5K.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom