What did you do?

Surferboy567

Yes, I have always felt like I am on a hamster wheel running on a treadmill. The treadmills are subject to proper maintenance
and calibration. Times outside should definitely be more accurate. Congratulation!
Thanks! Yeah, I can agree with that. Running on a treadmill feels so much longer and is alot more draining.

I just can’t get over how big of an improvement it is! I’m now super excited to train for the virtual races and feel like my times will be a lot better (don’t really care about them but want to improve).

Surferboy567

Absolutely agree with you about shorter than a few minutes’ duration. While I do run/walk for distances longer than 10 km, I tend to do it as around 12-13 mins run, 2-3 mins walk (so always in 15 minute blocks)
They key to keeping it straight is to have a sound play every time the interval changes. This way you don’t have to check your phone and the sound just plays. That is what I do when running with the Interval Timer.

Surferboy567

Another PT session yesterday. The knee does seem to be coming along. I signed up for a Thanksgiving virtual race.
It is funny the race is called the Feaster Five and is held on Thanksgiving. Usually you can run either a 5 miler or a 5K.
The virtual offers a challenge of running both. Unique in that usually the two races are run at the same time. I am
hoping to build up enough to run 8.1 miles that day and do the challenge in one run.
Good luck on your thanksgiving run!

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Had my second live race since covid this past weekend, the Hell Hole Swamp Gator Run 10k! I’ve been craving live races since Princess Weekend, so travelled the 2.5 hours to get to this quirky, long-running event (45th annual, longest running 10k in the low country of SC, maybe the whole state, but not sure on that). It was about half pavement, half dirt road through the woods. It was hot and humid after raining the previous evening, so we were warned that the road was going to be full of mud and puddles. Also, apparently the event is typically in May, so (in addition to a warning that we might see wildlife including boats and/or gators) we were warned that it was now hunting season, but they were not aware of any hunters in the area that morning! Now that’ll get you motivated 🤣. With the heat and lack of consistent training this summer, I was a little slower than I hoped (I think somewhere around 1:07:00), but it turned out to be a fun crowd in this off the beaten path event!

Also, our local Walk for Life half marathon went virtual and had packet pick up a few days ago, so I took advantage of storms that came through yesterday afternoon and ran my virtual on the river trails in the rain. Held up a lot better than the 10k!
13F000E3-471B-4454-9C4E-E62F98163ACD.png

I think my watch may have given me a little extra, but the red dot was two miles from my car so I definitely got the whole distance in, even though I suspect I was probably closer to 2:15:00 in reality.

That said, my new toy came today! I splurged on a Garmin fenix 6x pro solar, so I’m looking forward to getting some more accurate measurements on my training runs soon!
E9F130A1-383C-4F3E-A598-1BC655D466C4.jpeg

GenerationX

Thanks! Yeah, I can agree with that. Running on a treadmill feels so much longer and is alot more draining.

I just can’t get over how big of an improvement it is! I’m now super excited to train for the virtual races and feel like my times will be a lot better (don’t really care about them but want to improve).
I always run outside. It's way more satisfying and interesting.

As for pacing, I run as fast as I can throughout my run while still breathing in through my nose (and out through my mouth). My pace just sort of adjusts itself that way. I don't walk until my cool down.

Something that I experimented with on my last 5K was to set my music playlist with all fast songs. It worked, and I'll do that on all future races. Another way to potentially switch between run and walk is to set your music playlist to x minutes of fast songs then y minutes of slow songs.

Surferboy567

I always run outside. It's way more satisfying and interesting.

As for pacing, I run as fast as I can throughout my run while still breathing in through my nose (and out through my mouth). My pace just sort of adjusts itself that way. I don't walk until my cool down.

Something that I experimented with on my last 5K was to set my music playlist with all fast songs. It worked, and I'll do that on all future races. Another way to potentially switch between run and walk is to set your music playlist to x minutes of fast songs then y minutes of slow songs.
That is an interesting idea!

dreamfinder

2.77@9:20 pushing DS in jogger. It was one of those days, no matter which direction I ran in (roughly a y shape) I was running into the wind. The jogger always makes that more challenging.
Come to think of it...is a training thread warranted? Could be helpful for training tips, questions, etc. So many questions come up while training maybe making a thread is better?
The what you did thread is just that. If it's training, then you did training. If it was a race, then you did a race. Except for around registration & then race times in the various race threads, this is by far the most active part, where most of us check in regularly. If I'm ever able to get back into the gym, my posts become a cryptic challenge to figure out what I did that day.

Surferboy567

Lots to share today:

Today’s workout served many purposes.

A.) Do my normal outside run/walk for 37 mins
B.) Map out what a 10K looks like on my course
C.) Have a 10K course map
D.) Establish a baseline metric for a 10K

Before getting into my findings here are the stats:

Time: 1:41:15
Distance: 6.24 mi
Avg Pace: 16’13 mi

Originally, this run started as just another run normally around the 5K distance but I wanted to see where the cutoff would be for a 10K. I also wanted to have a course map (more on that later in the princess thread). So I did my normal run walk pace. Ended that about 3.2 (ish) miles in and walked for the rest. It was a normally paced walk. My course is relatively flat with only really one small bend. Slight changes in elevation here and there but nothing crazy either.

This is the first time (I think) I have ever done the 10K distance in one shot. Obviously, half of it was walked but still counts. I was able to see where the cutoff in terms of distance for a 10K. As well as get a course map thanks to my Apple Watch.

Last edited:

OG Runner

Lots to share today:

Today’s workout served many purposes.

A.) Do my normal outside run/walk for 37 mins
B.) Map out what a 10K looks like on my course
C.) Have a 10K course map
D.) Establish a baseline metric for a 10K

Before getting into my findings here are the stats:

Time: 1:41:15
Distance: 6.24 mi
Avg Pace: 16’13 mi

Originally, this run started as just another run normally around the 5K distance but I wanted to see where the cutoff would be for a 10K. I also wanted to have a course map (more on that later in the princess thread). So I did my normal run walk pace. Ended that about 3.2 (ish) miles in and walked for the rest. It was a normally paced walk. My course is relatively flat with only really one small bend. Slight changes in elevation here and there but nothing crazy either.

This is the first time (I think) I have ever done the 10K distance in one shot. Obviously, half of it was walked but still counts. I was able to see where the cutoff in terms of distance for a 10K. As well as get a course map thanks to my Apple Watch.

You are absolutely correct. My favorite running expression is a 5 minute mile is the same distance as a 20 minute mile.
Congratulations! It sounds like you have a plan and the motivation to make it happen.

Surferboy567

You are absolutely correct. My favorite running expression is a 5 minute mile is the same distance as a 20 minute mile.
Congratulations! It sounds like you have a plan and the motivation to make it happen.
Thanks, yep! Definitely have the motivation, just want to make sure I do this right as to not mess up training. At least I have all the data I need to get ready for Wine and Dine when that does roll around. This was purely a test run so I can run an actual pace also to see the cut off point on my course.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Ran down to meet my running group (about a mile) and then our group training was between 1.5 and 2 miles (somehow I switched my Garmin from run to treadmill). Third week in a row for this group to have it raining during our run; each Monday has been overcast but not particularly rainy ... until the time of our group 🤦🏼‍♀️

OG Runner

Ran down to meet my running group (about a mile) and then our group training was between 1.5 and 2 miles (somehow I switched my Garmin from run to treadmill). Third week in a row for this group to have it raining during our run; each Monday has been overcast but not particularly rainy ... until the time of our group 🤦🏼‍♀️

Sorry! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom