What did you do?

Kristia

So I ran the Shades of Death Half Marathon on Sunday. I had a good time, but there were definitely some issues with this race. I was really looking forward to this one so I was a little disappointed.

From the beginning, I was wondering if the race was even going to happen. They announced in April that they had received the permits for the race and that was it. They didn't start registration until August after numerous posts to the facebook page asking if they were still having it. We drove up to Allamuchy Township in North Jersey (about 2.5 hours away) on Saturday and went to the location for packet pickup. They didn't have an XL shirt for Dan as most of the shirts were at the school and they had no goody bags (also at the school). They have race day registration and packet pick up so we just had to stop back at the table the next morning to get the shirt and bags. No problem.

One thing that was probably the worst thing with this race is there is no parking at the school where the start of the race is. They have shuttle buses that run from off site parking that is 1-3 miles from the start. They have 3 lots and they fill the furthest lot first and run buses from that lot until it is full and then move to the next lot. We were in the second lot and had to wait about 15-20 minutes for a bus to come. Our lot was full before the first bus even even came. We finally made it to the school at about 8:15. I think they only had 2 buses running. The race was supposed to start at 9 am and they were still busing people in. They ended up moving the race to 9:30. They apologized for the busing snafu. I would have been so stressed if we had been on one of those later buses.

20141012_091127.jpg

It was pretty chilly at the start but it was great running weather. We finally started! The course is fairly flat with a couple hills but not too horrible. The course is a two lap course for the half with part of the course being on the infamous Shades of Death Road made famous in the magazine Weird NJ. Supposedly, many strange things have happened and continue to happen on this road so it makes for a perfect Halloween themed run. They also ran a one loop course called "The Devil's Run" which measured 6.66 miles. Both courses were USATF certified and the Devils Run was good for masters points.

The course was through some beautiful farmland. There were only about 230 finishers for the half and about the same for the Devil's Run so it thinned out pretty fast and there was plenty of room on the course.
20141012_094753.jpg

20141012_094926.jpg

20141012_095705.jpg

20141012_100414.jpg

20141012_100422.jpg

Dan wasn't feeling it for this race and soon told me to go ahead. Not sure why he didn't do well, but I lost him around mile 5 as he had slowed down. I was feeling pretty good and was able to keep my pace at about 10:30 for most of the race. As I started the second lap, I was starting to feel a bit tired and had to walk up the first hill that starts that lap. I was playing "hopscotch" with a guy who was older than me for most of the second lap. We kind of helped each other along :) so that was nice. I was pulling him along for a while but when we got to the last mile, he pulled ahead and I had to walk up another hill. He looked back and yelled to me "You only take a couple breaths and get back to running!!" I caught back up to him and and he gave me an atta girl. Nice to have encouragement since I lost my running buddy! He ended up kicking it into high gear and left me in the dust at the end! Good for him though. I managed to finish in about 2:25 and some change which is on par with my best half time. I don't have my official time because for some reason, both Dan and I are not in the official results. I have emailed them and not heard back. GRRRR. That was my other problem with this race. Dan finished in about 2:42 which is his worst half time. He is not happy and wants to do it again next year so he can do better. I am indifferent about doing it. The busing was much better on the way back since all the 6.66 runners had left and we were at the end of the half marathoners.

We did get a nice medal and shirt. I like the design but the shirt is a little on the thin side for a tech shirt, but not too bad for a smaller race I guess. Sorry the pic is a bit blurry!
20141011_184726.jpg

20141013_195113.jpg

Last edited:

Kristia

@dreamfinder This race has been around for at least 3 years so it isn't new but I suspect it may have had an organizer drop out or something like that. On a better note, I emailed the timing company and they found our times on their back up timer. They have updated them on the web.

Texas84

Got back from WDW yesterday and started the Higdon 4-7-4 week this morning. Doing my usual Dopey 10:30 pace but after mile two I was surrounded by lightning and it was really getting scary by mile three. Final mile was about 8 minutes! :D

dreamfinder

Bike today.

@dreamfinder This race has been around for at least 3 years so it isn't new but I suspect it may have had an organizer drop out or something like that. On a better note, I emailed the timing company and they found our times on their back up timer. They have updated them on the web.

Eh 3 years old? Ok, I take back my permitted snafus. They should know the needs by now.

OG Runner

I ran the Smuttynose Half Marathon in Hampton, NH a week ago Sunday. Just about 2:27. A little bugged. I ran the Big Lake Half Marathon in May, almost 4 minutes faster. The May race had more hills and it rained for a good deal of the time. Last weekends race was cool, sunny and even noted as one of the flattest Half Marathons in New England. Running another Half in Newburyport, MA a week from Sunday

JillC LI

I ran the Smuttynose Half Marathon in Hampton, NH a week ago Sunday. Just about 2:27. A little bugged. I ran the Big Lake Half Marathon in May, almost 4 minutes faster. The May race had more hills and it rained for a good deal of the time. Last weekends race was cool, sunny and even noted as one of the flattest Half Marathons in New England. Running another Half in Newburyport, MA a week from Sunday

I Liked your post partly for doing 3 Half Marathons in 6 months and partly for the name Smuttynose! LOL

LindsayLoves

Even though taper just started I am trying to keep a few of the runs at a high-ish intensity more to keep me interested than my slight fear that I will lose any of my 'speed' over the next three weeks. I will pull back on the intensity 7-10 days out.

Monday - 5.05 miles @ an easy 9:22/mi pace to let the legs slowly get back into the swing of things after the 20 miler on Saturday.

Tuesday - 8.12 miles @ 9:11/mi pace, despite the not super fast pacing I did a 1 mile hill loop 4 times with other smaller steeper hills thrown in. This was a leg burner for sure.

Wednesday - 5.26 progression miles starting at 9:24/mi working down to 7:59/mi

Thursday - today we rest

Texas84

Even though taper just started I am trying to keep a few of the runs at a high-ish intensity more to keep me interested than my slight fear that I will lose any of my 'speed' over the next three weeks. I will pull back on the intensity 7-10 days out.

Monday - 5.05 miles @ an easy 9:22/mi pace to let the legs slowly get back into the swing of things after the 20 miler on Saturday.

Tuesday - 8.12 miles @ 9:11/mi pace, despite the not super fast pacing I did a 1 mile hill loop 4 times with other smaller steeper hills thrown in. This was a leg burner for sure.

Wednesday - 5.26 progression miles starting at 9:24/mi working down to 7:59/mi

Thursday - today we rest

It's going to be televised on ESPN2. I watched last year and it looked fun. It was focused on the leaders but they showed some of the other going-ons. Look for the cameras!

http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/about-the-race/tune-in-and-watch

I survived my first Higdon 4-7-4 week. Feeling very strong. 6-16 this weekend.

JillC LI

I'm pretty sure that's what you are SUPPOSED to do during taper - cut back distance but keep up intensity and speed.

As for me, 3 mile constantly incrementally increasing speed workout this morning on the TM. Felt strong.

Sumrdog

I love the Smuttynose beer. That's one of the things I miss since moving out of NH 15 years ago. I didn't know they had a half marathon...That's going on my list!

dreamfinder

5k @ 1 incline, 2@6:58, 1.1@6:53 with 1/4 w/u&c/d.

I ran the Big Lake Half Marathon in May, almost 4 minutes faster.

How was that race this year? I haven't done it since EndorFun bombed and sold it to Sub5Racing. Having problems accepting that it no longer benefits a local charity that I like (Make A Wish), not that other charities aren't also worthy.

I love the Smuttynose beer. That's one of the things I miss since moving out of NH 15 years ago. I didn't know they had a half marathon...That's going on my list!

I believe they are also the title sponsor for the "Will Run For Beer" race series in NH.

atrus79

7 miles walking today as per the Galloway plan ... ugh. It felt like forever at a pace of 15:52 p/mile. One good thing to note is that my p/mile pace is under 16 minutes per mile so if anything happens during the first 3 days of the Dopey ... I can always walk it ;) Tomorrow is 17 miles running ... should be a great morning for it.

On another note, I'm a little concerned because in reading everyone else's posts on this board, it appears that Higdon's plan is primarily being used. Are they that different, or is it just personal preference? Just want to make sure I'm prepared going into Marathon weekend ...

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom