What did you do?

bethram

In May ran 2 5ks in Memphis, both under 30 with average time of 28:30 / 28:35. Also entered in to run the 2014 St. Jude Half in Memphis as a St. Jude Hero in December (praying for the run not to be canceled due to weather like it did in 2013), and will be entering into the Rock n Roll Cleveland Half Oct. 11. As well on June 4 National Running Day put in 4.5 miles in steamy, hot 87 at around noon. Hurt a bit, stopped a few times but got it done.

But the big news was this morning, Sunday, June 8. After last year's sequestration that canceled the Navy Nautical 10 Miler -- yes 10 nautical miles (11.50 miles in conversion) -- I ran it with not one, not two, but three additional Team RWB Eagles (Memphis needs to establish a chapter!). Wasn't sure I was going to run it because this was Air Guard drill weekend and for the past three days I was part of a team running war game scenarios in donning chemical suits and gas masks. I was also working a 4pm until midnight shift and eating MREs (military meals ready to eat) and UGRs (military unitized group rations - think of it as a large feed MRE). I also got just about 4 hours sleep late Saturday.

View attachment 55908

But I did it. I ran the 10 nautical miles in 2:06.34. The only bad thing or things -- I forgot to bring my water bottle, I forgot to bring my music, and I left in the car my energy jellybeans, and my GU drops. Thank goodness every nautical mile marker had either water, Gatorade, and sometimes orange slices.

I am also thankful for the weather gods after Saturday's tornadic weather near Memphis, the gods blessed the course with 69-71F, mostly cloudy, cool breeze, and less humid conditions at 6am. I even made it back to the air base from the Navy base in decent time for formation.

Anchors Aweigh!
Welcome back @a2grafix! It's good to see you, it sounds like you've been doing well!

bethram

3.6 miles at 8:58 pace this morning. It was several degrees cooler than it has been, but it felt worse. I guess the humidity is higher than it has been. I followed my run up with Day 7 of the ab challenge.

Now I'm off to shower then take the kids to the water park.

LindsayLoves

@Texas84 - you're crazy but I fully support you!

The past two weeks I have been experiencing cramps (the stitch in your side kind) when running, even at a fairly easy pace. After feeling the cramps for the first three miles of my run today I figured out that my breathing had become pretty shallow, I am connecting this with the increased temps we have been experiencing (you know summer and all) and so at that point I consciously started breathing more deeply and guess what? It stopped about 15 seconds later.

Texas84

@Texas84 - you're crazy but I fully support you!

The past two weeks I have been experiencing cramps (the stitch in your side kind) when running, even at a fairly easy pace. After feeling the cramps for the first three miles of my run today I figured out that my breathing had become pretty shallow, I am connecting this with the increased temps we have been experiencing (you know summer and all) and so at that point I consciously started breathing more deeply and guess what? It stopped about 15 seconds later.

:D Honestly, breathing while running is a problem for me. I have to work at it.

Just did an easy 3.5 miles. I finally feel like I am starting to get my motivation back...yippee!

Disneyland. Disneyland.

bethram

4.3 miles at 8:54 pace this morning. I almost didn't go out for my run. I woke up with a pain between my two smallest toes on one foot and thought I had a cut or blister or something but it's just muscular, I think. It doesn't hurt as much when I wear sneakers as when I'm barefoot, so I went ahead and set out willing to cut my run short if needed. Luckily it wasn't, I could feel the spot but the pain wasn't bad enough to stop me and it got a bit better after the first mile or so.

I got to the mountain bike trail by myself yesterday morning for the first time ever. I stuck to the beginner and beginner + trails just to be safe since I was alone and had never ridden the intermediate trail at this park. I did several loops and ended up logging 4.75 miles. I also learned that I'm going to have to stick to the beginner trail with DS6 for a while, there is a big hill on the beginner + trail, which I had never been, on that he's not ready for yet.

LindsayLoves

NYRR Mini 10k - This race has tons of history - in 1972 it became the world's first women's only road race, thanks to female running pioneers like Katherine Switzer, Nina Kuscsik (who were both there!!) and Fred Lebow (founder of New York Road Runners and the NYC Marathon). To get sponsors and any media coverage for the first running of this race in 1972 they had to have Playboy bunnies out on the course and only 78 women ran. Man we have come a long way... The race still retains the mini name which was originally for the mini skirt, so to embrace the mini skirt there were plenty of sparkle skirts and tutus out on the course.

Thankfully there were no bunnies out on the course this this edition that had over 5800 finishers. This race has $10,000 first prize, and a bonus of $5,000 for the first American to cross the line so plenty of pros show up. Spoiler- Molly Huddle won with a blazing 31:37.

The course - is not the standard Central Park 10k, which consists of a full loop with and extra .2. This race actually starts at Columbus Circle and goes straight up Central Park West to enter the park at 90th St which is a deceptive slow climb for 30 blocks. Once in the park runners have to contend with hills 400ft up, 600ft down, and another 400ft up through mile 4. My plan was to take it easy through the first four miles since the would have the most elevation and then "race" that last two miles. As long as I broke my old 10k record of 52:01 I would be happy, but of course I had a secret "A" goal.

The race - well summer is here, when you start sweating doing a warm up in the corrals you know its going to be a sticky one. Despite the heat it was a solid race with lots of guys out on the course from local running clubs supporting the runners which made for a fun atmosphere. There were also lots of people wearing jerseys for the World Cup which was fun because people would yell out the country names as they went by.

Result - I was able to pull out 49:25 which was my "A" goal of under 50 minutes. I know I can run a faster 10k than that but for this race and the conditions I am very happy with the result. I was 474th overall and 119th in my AG. I have a much flatter 10k planned for next weekend so I will see what I can really pull out as I bombed miserably in that race last year (martinis the night before a race = bad idea)

Swag - so the race shirt was a super odd fitting tank which I will likely never wear, a medal, a carnation, and PINK bagels. Yes they had amazing plain NYC bagels that they tinted pink, ah-mazing.

203a1378-7a37-45cf-8165-99920c18f07b.jpg

Sumrdog

NYRR Mini 10k - This race has tons of history - in 1972 it became the world's first women's only road race, thanks to female running pioneers like Katherine Switzer, Nina Kuscsik (who were both there!!) and Fred Lebow (founder of New York Road Runners and the NYC Marathon). To get sponsors and any media coverage for the first running of this race in 1972 they had to have Playboy bunnies out on the course and only 78 women ran. Man we have come a long way... The race still retains the mini name which was originally for the mini skirt, so to embrace the mini skirt there were plenty of sparkle skirts and tutus out on the course.

Thankfully there were no bunnies out on the course this this edition that had over 5800 finishers. This race has $10,000 first prize, and a bonus of $5,000 for the first American to cross the line so plenty of pros show up. Spoiler- Molly Huddle won with a blazing 31:37.

The course - is not the standard Central Park 10k, which consists of a full loop with and extra .2. This race actually starts at Columbus Circle and goes straight up Central Park West to enter the park at 90th St which is a deceptive slow climb for 30 blocks. Once in the park runners have to contend with hills 400ft up, 600ft down, and another 400ft up through mile 4. My plan was to take it easy through the first four miles since the would have the most elevation and then "race" that last two miles. As long as I broke my old 10k record of 52:01 I would be happy, but of course I had a secret "A" goal.

The race - well summer is here, when you start sweating doing a warm up in the corrals you know its going to be a sticky one. Despite the heat it was a solid race with lots of guys out on the course from local running clubs supporting the runners which made for a fun atmosphere. There were also lots of people wearing jerseys for the World Cup which was fun because people would yell out the country names as they went by.

Result - I was able to pull out 49:25 which was my "A" goal of under 50 minutes. I know I can run a faster 10k than that but for this race and the conditions I am very happy with the result. I was 474th overall and 119th in my AG. I have a much flatter 10k planned for next weekend so I will see what I can really pull out as I bombed miserably in that race last year (martinis the night before a race = bad idea)

Swag - so the race shirt was a super odd fitting tank which I will likely never wear, a medal, a carnation, and PINK bagels. Yes they had amazing plain NYC bagels that they tinted pink, ah-mazing.

203a1378-7a37-45cf-8165-99920c18f07b.jpg
Congratulations on your time! And that sounds super fun!

Mad Stitch

An easy 9 miles this morning. Had a scare while doing it. I got too close to the edge of the trail and rolled my ankle. As it was happening I thought "there goes 10 weeks of training" for my race in 2 weeks. I was able to keep running though and it feels fine now, so disaster averted.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom