What did you do?

fmingo36

May 1st--My official day to start training for the Wine & Dine 1/2!
Started my morning off with an hour of yoga followed by 2 miles on a treadmill at a 10:10 pace-(not too bad for not having run since November). It felt good to put those sneakers on this morning. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I missed running.

Ended my evening by teaching a great group of women in an hour of gentle yoga.

On a non-training note but I Also booked our place for the trip in Nov.. Staying off property at a rental home with 2 other families. It's all coming together! :D

OG Runner

No need to fear Goofy this far ahead, you have plenty of time to train, like another 253 days worth of time.

Had to push my 3 mile easy run from yesterday to today due to the crazy rain, end up doing 3.71 @8:41/mile, not exactly a 3 mile easy run but it was beautiful out and I have a rest day scheduled for tomorrow so I couldn't help myself...

Well, here is hoping you are right. I am looking forward to the Goofy, but still want to enjoy the vacation, by
being able to walk when I am done.

Kristia

Sorry I have been off the grid lately. My training for the 500 mile has been emotionally and physically exhausting. Completely different training this time around, which has my anxiety level on high. Also, knowing the pain I am about to put myself in is terrifying.
Worked on a lot of mental training, hills, becoming a better and faster downhill runner, bushwhacking, and basically building up grit. Everything goes out the window when running 100 milers. But 500 miles: how do you train for getting hit by a truck, get up and get hit again and again for days and days?
The pain is coming. May 22 @ 4pm. Thank you to everyone who followed along last year. I still get choked up reading that thread. I hope you will come back and follow along again.
We wouldn't miss it for anything!

Kristia

3 miles today. Not sure on my pace since my Garmin was dead and I didn't check it till right before we ran. Yep, I had watchless Friday! My back felt good although it is a little achy now. Hope to be good on Sunday! Broad Street 10 miler!

@JillC LI Good luck in your half!

bethram

6.3 miles at 9:12, beautiful morning for a run. I'm finally getting the hang of the foam roller for my IT band, but I'm not sure how long to do it for or how often. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Kristia

6.3 miles at 9:12, beautiful morning for a run. I'm finally getting the hang of the foam roller for my IT band, but I'm not sure how long to do it for or how often. Any suggestions? Thanks!
When I use the stick, I roll till the muscle starts to loosen up and you can use more pressure without it hurting so bad.

LindsayLoves

Well, here is hoping you are right. I am looking forward to the Goofy, but still want to enjoy the vacation, by
being able to walk when I am done.

You'll be able to walk - the exhaustion of waking up at 3am two days in a row will hit you harder than the running.

@Kristia got it right, roll it out until its not bothersome anymore. How often depends on you and your training. I generally do it every day I run, if I am in a tough part of my training cycle I might roll everyday to keep things loose. See what works for you.

Just got in 14 miles in 2:08, lovely day of running even though I did an out and back route which would never be a number one option but with big events going on in the city today and tomorrow (breast cancer walk and 5 Boro Bike tour) I had to plan accordingly. Brooklyn Half Marathon is two weeks from today!

fmingo36

A nice day for a run in NJ! First run outside for me since November. Ran a little further than Thursdays run but a little slower too. 2.75 miles at a 11:14 pace.
I forgot how much "stuff" I need when I run. Every time I was ready to walk out the door, I remember something else that I like to have when I run. Gotta get back in the groove!

Mad Stitch

A nice day for a run in NJ! First run outside for me since November. Ran a little further than Thursdays run but a little slower too. 2.75 miles at a 11:14 pace.
I forgot how much "stuff" I need when I run. Every time I was ready to walk out the door, I remember something else that I like to have when I run. Gotta get back in the groove!

Ha! I have been running outside again and thought the same thing the other day. Road ID, GPS watch, iPod, water... then I nearly locked myself out of the house when I forgot my key. There is also a lot of construction projects in my neighborhood so many of my running routes are blocked. Even the track around the high school football field is torn up and closed till August. That was good for at least 2 miles during my long runs. Runners problems. :rolleyes:

JillC LI

3 miles today. Not sure on my pace since my Garmin was dead and I didn't check it till right before we ran. Yep, I had watchless Friday! My back felt good although it is a little achy now. Hope to be good on Sunday! Broad Street 10 miler!

@JillC LI Good luck in your half!

Thanks Kristi. You too. I didn't exactly plan the smartest pre-race day walking all over NYC and eating such a huge dinner that I feel sick to my stomach now. Oh well, it was a really fun day.

JillC LI

Long Island Half Marathon today. I don't race very often so my Half PR was this same race in 2008 (2:16:59). My goal today that I told everyone was to PR with a sub-2:14. My secret goal that I just told my family was sub-2:11. My super-secret goal that I told no one was sub-2:08. I finished in . . . .
2:06:29!!!!!!!!!!
I smoked my PR by over ten minutes! I didn't think I had that in me. Just goes to show that you can still get faster at age 45. I'm so proud of myself that I don't even care that my quads are totally trashed and I'm in agony. :)

JillC LI

@JillC LI - way to go! A 10 minutes PR is huge!!! Trashed legs will heal but the PR will still be there, very proud of you.

How was the race itself? Would you recommend it to others (for PR purposes)?

Thanks @LindsayLoves. Yes, overall I would recommend that race as a Half but not the Full. Pros: well organized course with lots of water stops and even fireworks at the Start Line. (In fact, the first song on my Race Playlist was Soarin' and for a moment I felt like I was at Disney!) The course was relatively flat with about 3 not so bad hills. Cons: The race weekend included a 1 mile, 5K, 10K, Half and Full, and I was kinda ed that they didn't give out race-specific teeshirts. Parking for the race was over a mile from the Start Line. Traffic control exiting the lots after the race was horrendous. And the reason I don't recommend the Full is that those runners had to spend about 12 miles on the boring Wantagh Parkway with no spectator support or interesting scenery. The Half runners were only it for about 2 miles. So overall, good Half race course but so so for a Full. And nice medal - I'll try to remember to post a pic tomorrow. No one was with me at the race so I have no informal Finish Line pics.

diddy_mouse

Easing back in (again) with 1.5mi/12:50 on the treadmill followed by 20min of yoga ab work. Been looking at some local races and definitely have my sights set on one in September. Now, do I choose the 10K or toughen up and decide to go for the half?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom