What becomes of Star Tours

TwilightZone

As long as they keep the former geese now droid aas and don’t scrap them or leave them there for a decade I’m fine with a replacement.
I’m bitter still about some aa news.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well that sucks, and while I completely hope they fry whomever took them Disney should have archived them long ago. Shows that WDW is even more mismanaged compared to the other parks.

zooey

It would be great if they updated Star Tours so you go to Batuu in the middle, crashing through the marketplace, but then land back at the star tours facility. A little more of an “in-world” story that can fit with Galaxy’s Edge while not being in the land.

Damon7777

Original Poster
Not all the Pixar attractions, like Monsters Inc and Crush or even Buzz, got relocated into Pixar Pier. I know not a great example, but still makes the point.

So your point is since other examples demonstrate stupidity like scattering Pixar then it's OK to scatter Star Wars . What a useless and childish point to make.

Precedent rules even in the face of absurdity. Got it!

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
So your point is since other examples demonstrate stupidity like scattering Pixar then it's OK to scatter Star Wars . What a useless and childish point to make.

2zGaS2M.jpg

SuddenStorm

Tony Baxter has actually offered his 2 cents on the topic in an interview. He's a firm believer that an IP can be utilized in multiple places and environments- but how the IP is approached has to change.

An example he gave would be a young Indiana Jones show set during his youth in Utah in Frontierland vs the current ride in Adventureland. Or how attractions in Epcot need to be approached differently than Hollywood Studios or the Magic Kingdom.

They use Mickey everywhere.

In 63 years of Disneyland, there has never been a precedent for restricting an IP to one area. That'd be foolish.

fctiger

Why are you coming off so rude? Stop taking it so personally, people have given you multiple reasons why its probably not going in and yet you seem to ignore all of them except the one you have an issue with.

Will say it again, there have been multiple IPs scattered around the parks and not just in one area. Star Tours isn't new, its been sitting there for literally decades now so you have to factor in the realities of relocating such an old ride and they probably felt it wasn't needed in the new land. And as I said (and constantly ignored lol) its probably a space issue as well. They probably don't want to waste space for a 30 year old ride when they may have plans for something cooler in the future. I could see a roller coaster or another big thrill ride going in for example instead of having two screen based rides sitting side by side. And as said we don't know how long Star Tours will be around once SWL opens. It could stay for two decades or they could close it a year later, we don't know what the long term plans or thinking is.

So instead of calling something 'childish' and 'stupid' because you don't agree with it, maybe accept that there are possibly many factors at play here and that it's just not a feasible idea to move it. We simply don't know what they are, its obviously just a guessing game but your OP has been answered, they are not moving it into the new land. That's really the only definitive answer anyone has here.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

If that is the only take away you got from all the posts in this thread that provided much insight into the topic, then you obviously aren't looking for an intelligent conversation. You'd rather name call and troll.

So good day sir.

fctiger

If that is the only take away you got from all the posts in this thread that provided much insight into the topic, then you obviously aren't looking for an intelligent conversation. You'd rather name call and troll.

So good day sir.

I'm just amazed how upset and insulting people can get over something like this and then attack the people for simply giving them an answer. News for the OP, no one here has any power or makes any decisions about what goes in these parks or how they are designed, we are simply giving you possible insights into those decisions. Of course they could still be wrong but stop being so rude to others who was nice enough to take time out to answer your questions just because you don't like the answers. Seriously take it down a notch, no one's day is ruined at DL because a 30 year old attraction is simply staying in the same place its always been in. Maybe if they knew back in 1985 they would own the Star Wars property 30 years later, they would've waited to add the ride then.

mickEblu

I'm just amazed how upset and insulting people can get over something like this and then attack the people for simply giving them an answer. News for the OP, no one here has any power or makes any decisions about what goes in these parks or how they are designed, we are simply giving you possible insights into those decisions. Of course they could still be wrong but stop being so rude to others who was nice enough to take time out to answer your questions just because you don't like the answers. Seriously take it down a notch, no one's day is ruined at DL because a 30 year old attraction is simply staying in the same place its always been in. Maybe if they knew back in 1985 they would own the Star Wars property 30 years later, they would've waited to add the ride then.

I was originally disappointed when I heard that Star Tours wouldn’t be moving to SWL when the land opened. However, as you pointed out their really isn’t one good reason to move it when considering all factors. Definitely not one good business reason to move it. At the same time, their isn’t one good reason to close down Star Tours just because SWL is opening. Ideally, it would have been nice if they shut it down while SWL was being built and opened a new attraction there in conjunction with SWL. Of course, that would have left Disney without their main Star Wars themed attraction as all of the movies were being released. Anyway, Star Tours needs to stick around now for the next few years as a Star Wars demand overflow. It probably won’t close until the TL Redo.

EDIT: TBH I wonder if it’s even necessary to close it during a TL Redo. Considering how popular Star Wars is and capacity issues at DLR does it make sense to close Star Tours? What can they fit in that footprint that will have the staying power of Star Tours? Of course what remains to be seen is if Star Tours remains as popular after Falcon opens up.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

All DHS needs to do is update Muppet vision to a Pigs in Space show and introduce Darth Nader. The whole show ends with them singing When You Wish Upon a Star in front of a space castle.

As far as I know, the theming of the Muppet show area was stripped and it remains as part of a terrible repurposed Hipster Los Angeles area, although the Muppets are based in New York. I don't understand this change because it actually strengthens the Los Angeles theme of the park while they're adding giant Star Wars and Toy Story lands that have nothing to do with it.

FerretAfros

In 63 years of Disneyland, there has never been a precedent for restricting an IP to one area. That'd be foolish.
There may not have been a formal rule for keeping an IP in a single area, but it was never an issue at DLR until Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and Toy Story Midway Mania opened in 2005/08. Sure, there have always been some oddly-placed attractions (Babes in Toyland on Main Street, 20,000 Leagues in Tomorrowland 55) but they were confined to a single location within the park; it's not like the Swiss Family Robinson simultaneously had permanent locations in Adventureland and Bear Country. Attractions with a common source IP (Dumbo/Casey Jr, Alice/Teacups) have historically been located in proximity to one another.

I largely give entertainment and non-permanent meet & greets a pass in all this due to their temporary nature. It would be impractical to host a parade or have unstructured character interactions if all the animated characters were confined to Fantasyland. Since they're only present for a small portion of the operating day (and tend to get replaced with some regularity), it's easy to overlook thematic inconsistencies in favor of highlighting the atmosphere they provide. DLR also does a better job than most resorts of having area-appropriate live musicians throughout both parks, which helps to balance it out.

And while it's not DLR, Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disneysea had very strict rules for which characters "live" in each park, with only Mickey and friends appearing in both. For example Stitch, most princesses, The Jungle Book characters, and the Aristocats live in TDL, while Bernard & Bianca, Ariel, Duffy and Aladdin live in TDS, and ne'er the twain shall meet. The rules were largely based on where the respective attractions and themed areas were located, but also extended to which characters could appear in meet & greets and entertainment in each park. These rules have been relaxed considerably for live appearances in recent years (again, after the introduction of TSMM with BLAB in separate parks) but each set of characters still has a clearly defined "home base" and only makes occasional appearances elsewhere.

Although there are a small handful of IPs that lend themselves to different interpretations in vastly different settings (like Indiana Jones, the Muppets, and-as much as I personally can't stand it-Toy Story), I think it should be largely avoided in order to make each area somewhat unique and worthwhile. WDW is falling into this trap with a permanent physical presence for The Little Mermaid, Frozen, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, and the Muppets in 2 parks each, and Beauty & the Beast will soon have a 3rd park to call home. The 4 parks used to have clear and distinct personalities which gave a vacation there a fairly diverse feel, but have become increasingly similar both in the types of experiences they offer and the IPs used to deliver them. Why bother spending the extra time and money to visit that other park, when we'll just see the same characters as the one we're in right now?

DanielBB8

I doubt Star Tours will close until they devise a fix to the New Tomorrowland mess. At minimum, 2 new attractions are needed (replace Star Tours and Innoventions) and the Astro Orbiter relocated. Remove People Mover tracks and platform. So it will be somewhat ambitious and cost significant amount of money. I’m hoping Tron roller coaster will arrive. Ralph could be the Star Tours replacement.

GrizzlyAdams

I want a TL overhaul, but let’s face it, if they’re expanding FL first, then TL will have to wait. If that’s the case, the easiest thing (corporate Disney loves) is an Iron Man re-skin of Star Tours for the time being. Not in favor of at all, but would be easy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom