What’s your favorite resort? Why?

zurgandfriend

What is your favorite resort and why? What is it that attracts you to that resort? Is it location, theme, restaurants, cast members, or a little bit of all of these? Do you always go to the same resort or do you try different ones?
We have stayed at 3 resorts at WDW so far, the Contemporary, The Polynesian and the Wilderness Lodge.
My DW thinks the Wilderness Lodge was the best so far, she feels that it is off the “beaten path” as it is not on the monorail and you have to make an effort to get there. She says it felt like coming “home” when we arrived.
My son likes the Contemporary the best. He likes the hustle and bustle of the Grand Canyon Concourse with the monorail right there. He likes the new hotel rooms so much so that when I repainted and changed his bedroom from a boy’s room to a “grown-up” room he wanted paint colors, pictures and furniture very similar to the Contemporary. He even has the Contemporary “Do not disturb sign” hanging off of his door .
My favorite is the one I haven’t stayed at yet. We have always stayed at a Magic Kingdom area resort. I would like to stay in one of the Epcot resorts next trip and experience WDW from a different perspective.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My favorite is AKL. One term I use quite often when describing Disney resorts is "separation from reality". IMHO AKL provides more of a separation from reality than any other Disney resort. Where else can you go out on your balcony and see giraffes? Another check in the win column for me are the restaurants there. Jiko, Boma and Sanaa are 3 of the most unique restaurants on property. I also like that it is a bit off the beaten path.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I know this is a bit of a cop out, but I have 2 favorites. During anytime but christmas, my favorite is OKW. The main reason is because it is home. I love the theme, I love the golf course intertwined, I love the gurgling suitcase, the boat ride to Downtown cool too. I know its a little older and needs some updating, but like I said, it is home.

Now during X-mas my favorite is the cabins at fort wilderness. First of all the cabins are just a lot of fun to stay in. They are very large, full kitchen, living room, large bedroom. Plus they are just really cool, from the glasses that are actually jars to the bed that folds down out of the wall. Now the main reason it is so great during xmas is the decorations that so many staying there put up. It really gets you in the holiday mood. Also it is a short boat ride to wilderness lodge, where the decorations are stunning. Then there is always the boat ride to the MK which is lots of fun.

Hopefully I will be staying at the Boardwalk for food and wine 2010, so maybe I will have another seasonal favorite to add next year.

Upvote 0

Clare-DPME

We love the AKL as we spent our honeymoon there. I love just sitting and watching the animals roaming.

We're also fans of Old Key West - there's just something about the 'Florida' feel of the Resort - it's laid back and just a nice place to hang out.

Upvote 0

kirinan

Our favorite is Port Orleans French Quarter. We've stayed there four times, and will stay there again on future visits (although I do want to stay at the Contemporary at least once in my life). The main thing we like about it as a couple without children is that it seems (to us, anyway) not as child-centric as the other resorts, so it's quieter and more relaxing than, say, the All-Star resorts or even Port Orleans Riverside or Caribbean Beach. YMMV, of course. But for us, it's perfect--the theming, the rooms, the location, the price--we love it!

Upvote 0

DisneyLeo18

I have 2 favorites which are total opposites.

1- AKL - This one was my favorite because it is by far the nicest/well themed resort i have ever stayed in. I stayed there twice and they gave us the same room both times!!! But the restaurants, food courts, architecture, and even music adds to this great experience.

2-All Star Music - I have stayed at this resort many times since my trips are usually last minute planning and need to be cheap. In 2006 I went with a few of my friends instead of going to prom. Last year we just stopped by this resort to grab something to eat and walk around and it had that home feeling. Just something special about it.

I will be returning on 12/3 and cannot wait!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

travelgip

I have to say mine is the Grand Floridian. To me, that is "home". I love that when you check in they say "welcome home". I love Mizners Bar in the evening - always friendly and a good crowd. The big band playing - especially at Christmas, they do the best rendition of "Sleigh Ride" with the horns and everything....just marvelous! Also at Christmas the giant gingerbread house that whenever you walk into the lobby you can smell gingerbread. I always get the same "building" with my lagoon view which includes almost entire Bay Lake, MK, Poly, CR. Getting up in the morning to the sound of the train whistles, boat horns and music from the distant MK is just brilliant! It is truly my "happy place".

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

I've stayed at a few Disney resorts and the Polynesian is by far my favorite.
It's tropical/Hawaiian theming is wonderful, the location is prime, the rooms are nice and spacious, great food, and the monorail is a dream and very fun.
Great resort!

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

Polynesian is my favorite too, with The Boardwalk being a close second.

The Poly feels the most "Disney" to me, if that makes sense. The theming is the best, I love the restaurants, and my favorite place to watch Wishes is from the beach there. Boardwalk is a close second because you can walk to two parks, I also love the theme there, the pool is awesome. We were given a surprise upgrade at Boardwalk too, so that was nice. :)

Upvote 0

swimmom

Wilderness Lodge is our favorite for many reasons. First off the theming, we really enjoy the Pacific Northwest lodge feel. It's close to the MK, sometimes the boat ride to the MK seems like another attraction in itself. And we had an awesome time being the Flag Family one morning.

Upvote 0

Ariel484

We love the Boardwalk...the theming is great and fun, and the location is excellent. I love being able to walk to Epcot.

I'd love to try AKL, WL or the Comtemporary someday, but I think my husband loves the Boardwalk too much to try any other resort.

Upvote 0

perry23

I agree with Master Yoda. The AKL is also my favourite Resort because of a lot of things:
great restaurants (Boma, Jiko,...)
great view if you have "Savanna View"(is that the correct name?)
great design (I really love the main hall and the little pools in front of the restaurants):king:

Upvote 0

luvlifeinfl

All the resorts that we have stayed at;

The Cabins @ FW
AK
SSR
BWV

Since we are now DVC members, right now my fav. is the BWV. I like the location of the resort and the themeing of it. I also like the BW behind the resort, after having dinner over @ Cape May's @ the BC, we walk back to our resort and just stroll the BW.

Upvote 0

cemeb4dk

Our favorite is the Beach CLub. One because it is our home DVC resort. Also we love the proximety to Epcot and Hollywood studios. The pool cannot be beat, and its just great to be able to stroll over to Epcot to watch Illuminations or grab some food and to hop over to the Boardwalk and enjoy the nightlife there. We really enjoy it because we really get to enjoy the resort area from the bonfires on the beach and movies on the beach to just hanging around the resort. I know I am biased because it is our home resort, but we have stayed at Saratoga, and OKW and also POP. We like OKW rooms as they seem to be the biggest of the DVC resorts, but I didn't like the layout of the resort, I like being connected to the main part of the hotel.

Upvote 0

Chrononymous

The Boardwalk is usually my first choice. It's just got stellar theming, a beautiful upscale but relaxed atmosphere, a fun turn of the century feel, and free tea in the morning! :D

The location is great, because you can just walk into EPCOT, and the boardwalk itself has some nice shops and restaurants too. Also has a great pool area, and if you take the resort buses, this one is rarely over-crowded.

That said...I also really really enjoy Port Orleans Riverside.
Mostly because it seems so much more relaxed and quiet than many of the other resorts. It's lush trees, and hidden pool area, seem to act like a sound barrier, and you don't hear the other guests as much.
Love the rocking chairs by the pool, and I love the waterwheel in the food court.
On some trips, we would head over there to relax, even if we weren't staying at that resort!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I have stayed in the following

Pop
AS Movies
PO: Riverside
Carribean Beach
Saratoga Springs
Beach Club
Boardwalk
Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House)
Wilderness Lodge

Of those, Wilderness Lodge is my favorite. The atmosphere of the place appeals to me. The DVC Villas are just the icing on the cake. The seperate lobby and "game room" there is just wonderful. Like your own private little cabin (shared with 100 other people :) )

I like AKL, but quite honestly, the Savanah View disappointed me. Maybe it would have been better if I did not have one and I had not "spent" the points on it. We had a sunset savanah view, and it was horrible. The Savanah looked beat up, with a view of the maintence area of the lodge to the left, and a big drit road circling though it. A stand of trees blocked our view of most of the savanah, and all we ever saw from our balcony was the same ostrich every morning. Other times of the day - nothing. It was a big waste - I would have rather had a view of the pool, that would have been more interesting. Heck, the parking lot would have been more interesting.

Our room was fourth floor. You crossed the lobby bridge, and went down the hallway, first door on the left. Basicly the same view you get from the Sunset Savanah Overlook from the lobby, just higher up. I am sure other people had better views. I could see giraffes browsing at night right near the building - from the hallway windows. But as for what I could see from my room - what a waste. Other than that the resort was very nice :)

-dave

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom