Western way park/5th gate

PeterAlt

Disney could trade the world-wide theme park rights to Jar Jar Binks in exchange for the east coast theme park rights to Iron Man with Comcast-Universal. Does Disney really need to hang on to Jar Jar? Seriously, let Universal have him!

flavious27

I don't know if you got the memo or not, but a few months ago, Comcast made the announcement that they were going to put an additional $1.5 billion into new USO attractions and refurbishing old ones, over the next several years. This is on top of the new resort they are building. This includes the HP expansion, Transformers, the Simpsons street, and other major additions that are still to be announced. This is more than the $1.3 billion Disney put into the DCA makeover at the DLR (which included Cars Land and RSR). You can say this latest Comcast investment in USO is in response to Avatar and that they are trying to copy Disney's successful DCA makeover but applying it to Orlando. Disney has yet to respond to Comcast and announce any new attractions for WDW beyond Avatar. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Well the response would be at DHS. The fanboys want a clone of carsland and a monsters inc ride. I would rather have them add a sci fi section that would be an expanded star wars presence, have a mini land for tron and a reinvented Star Trek Experience.

If Disney wanted to spend a lot of money doing market research to see what people want, they could save that money by just coming here. Your post pretty much summarizes what millions of dollars and years of market research would basically say.

I believe this has been repeated so many times. TDO would be able to save money by crowdsourcing with WDW Magic; they could get better input and buzz instead of using the disney moms blog thing.

PirateFrank

Look at it this way, if you were universal and have a rethemeing planned for lets say lost continent and you have a budget of around 500-800 million dollars. Well Disney comes in and says we will give you 200 million dollars if you retheme Super Hero Island instead. Would you be so quick to say no? Its almost free money. Its increasing your budget for the project dramatically, allowing you to build basically an additional attraction, or put that money away for future projects.

Um, not in the real world.

On a regular basis (at least once a year), Uni reviews and determines the value of the Marvel contract. There are several ways to do it, but the most common one is to assess it from a perspective of revenues generated over the life of the contract, discounted to the present. Any negotiating price that Universal throws on the table will be at *least* that number, likely a good bit more. I have no knowledge whatsoever on what those actual revenues are...but I feel comfortable betting my left nut that it's *way* more than $200M. Especially now, since the 4B or so Iger threw down for the other half of Marvel is proving to be a steal.

Generally people sell things at what they're worth, not some perceived re-theming value. That would be like selling a car to someone for the cost of repainting it. :confused:

Florida_is_hot

Sick of Marvel, grow up put your comic books away.
Really do you think 95% of the adults you poll care anything about Ironman?

Disney is about imagination and innovation.
I would take Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Pinocchio etc... over some modern action mess (Marvel) that teaches children nothing.

Where is the family value in something like Ironman 3?

When and if I ever go to Disney World and immerse myself in a story that is all action and CGI with no substance, it will stop being "Disney" for me.

Florida_is_hot

Are you kidding?
I seen Ironman 3, worst movie I seen in ages.
You actually liked it?

I also still say to you all such movies I seen are all CGI and action.
No moral, nothing that says ..... this a classic.

PeterAlt

Well the response would be at DHS. The fanboys want a clone of carsland and a monsters inc ride. I would rather have them add a sci fi section that would be an expanded star wars presence, have a mini land for tron and a reinvented Star Trek Experience.

I believe this has been repeated so many times. TDO would be able to save money by crowdsourcing with WDW Magic; they could get better input and buzz instead of using the disney moms blog thing.
Well, even though I said that, what I said about using these boards for market research wouldn't be entirely accurate. The people here are mostly hard core fans that know far more about Disney and WDW than most people do. We make up probably a
single digit percentage of the average mix of people who visit WDW. There's probably a much greater percentage who are return visitors - fans but not fanatics, who are familiar with WDW but who are not detailedly familiar (like most here).

The less familiar the guest is, the easier it is for them (Disney) to "pull one over" on them (the guests); therefore, there's nothing (or hardly anything or less) to compare their current experience with. For example, someone who has seen EC during the 80's and visits today will likely be disappointed because that person carries memories of the park's Golden Years and the comparison to how it's like today is dramatic. Now, a guest who is seeing EC for the first time who visits the park today might have an entirely different experience as that person will have experienced things never seen before, such as an extremely realistic virtual rocket launch or what it's like to be a test dummy - without any previous knowledge or memory of what used to be at EC to "spoil" it.

twebber55

How I or anybody rlse feels about a particular film is irrelevant when discussing how known a character is and if people are attached to said character. You don't pull in numbers like Iron Man 3 did with narrow demographic appeal.
totally agree the numbers dont lie....marvel and in this case iron man are huge

PeterAlt

I would take Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Pinocchio etc... over some modern action mess (Marvel) that teaches children nothing.

When and if I ever go to Disney World and immerse myself in a story that is all action and CGI with no substance, it will stop being "Disney" for me.
The problem with your logic is that Disney has ALREADY paid $4.3 BILLION to acquire marvel. Stockholders want Disney to exploit this new asset to the fullest in order to speed up its Return On Investment. Disney is following Time-Warner on this one and want to repeat the success Time-Warner has had in making movies based on DC Comics, a company Time-Warner has owned for a very long time. Time-Warner currently holds the record for the highest grossing total box office receipts for a one-year period - $2 billion. They set this record thanks to movies they released that year based on their DC properties, such as Batman. Disney intends to use Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and other IP to break the Time-Warner records and have a gross total box office receipts of over $2 billion in 2015. Movies from the Marvel properties will be a big slice of that $2 billion pie.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Look at it this way, if you were universal and have a rethemeing planned for lets say lost continent and you have a budget of around 500-800 million dollars. Well Disney comes in and says we will give you 200 million dollars if you retheme Super Hero Island instead..
200 million is pocket change for Comcast now, after what Potterland cost and how fast they made it back. They'd laugh TDO all the way back down I4. Comcast are on unofficial record as realising speculating really does accumulate (like WDW 20 years ago) and they intend to speculate like no tomorrow certainly for the rest of the decade.

MattM

So you're more about the message of women not being able to do anything without a man?

MattM

Are you kidding?
You actually liked it?

I can give you about 175 million reasons why you are wrong.

71jason

Is Uni even able to sell Iron Man or Avengers merchandise? I don't recall seeing anything but spiderman, captain america, Fan 4 and some X men.

Yes, and they do (tho I imagine Spidey remains the best seller, and they cater to that). There is even a full suit of Iron Man armor in the main Marvel gift shop.

71jason

Having seen the lines at Cars Land in DLR, it's a lot more than "fanboys" who want to see it. You really think a Tron attraction could be anywhere near that level?

Captain Chaos

Disney could trade the world-wide theme park rights to Jar Jar Binks in exchange for the east coast theme park rights to Iron Man with Comcast-Universal. Does Disney really need to hang on to Jar Jar? Seriously, let Universal have him!
The new NEXTGEN bathrooms in DHS will be themed to Star Wars (the only Star Wars we'll get in WDW)... The toilets will be Jar Jar's head... That way fans can finally, literally, crap on the character...

bubbles1812

Are you kidding?
You actually liked it?

How you feel about it is irrelevant. You didnt like it... Big whoop. The box office returns and the "A" CinemaScore disagree with you. The return suggests a great many people like/care about Iron Man. And that A also suggests word of mouth will be very positive and bodes will for the film going forward. And judging by the long line of Marvel films Disney has set up for the future, you are just going to have to suck it up...because Disney doesn't give a rat's that you didnt like it... They still got your money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom