"We're going to get a Test Track for Soarin'"

Dubman

Totally had forgotten about my experience until I saw this thread.. Last November while at the guest services desk at Pop Century I overheard the guest next to me(Guessing Brazilian) ask "Which park Cars Land?".. Couldn't hear the Cast members response, but watched the guest walk away with a very confused look on his face.. :facepalm:

dizneycraig

It never really bothered me what people call parks or rides. The one thing I absolutely love though is the names for rides that my kids have used since they were little. For example, expedition everest is yeti! As my kids get older and some of the magic starts to disappear, I will always treasure these wonderful nicknames. It always takes me back.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

A family behind me in line once (for something indoors like the GMR or something) were very anxious to get their picture with Daffy Duck. I didn't have the heart to tell them.

Sort of related: when parts of the New Fantasyland expansion were opening, some CM friends of mine would refer to the Casey Jr, Splash 'N' Soak Station as Casey Jr's Wet Pleasure Express. Every time I walk past it now, I can't help but laugh.

Flippin'Flounder

One time, a few years after MGM to DHS, we were trying to get to the park. We almost missed the turn because my parents couldn't find the sign.

When I talk about Disney at school people say they've never been to Disney, but the have been to EPCOT.

When I get home from Disney people ask, "Did you go on the Haunted House, or the Golf Ball?"

BTMR is Thunder Mountain for me, and EE is Mount Everest

RScottyL

(2) Even worse, my Dad refers to Big Thunder Mountain as The Rocky Mountain Express (no clue where he got that one)

Rocky Mountain Express is a 45-minute IMAX film released in the fall of 2011. Directed by Canadian filmmaker Stephen Low, it features the Canadian Pacific Railway’s restored 4-6-4 H1b Hudson steam locomotive 2816. Shooting began in 2006 and continued intermittently over the next five years, primarily on the main line between Calgary and Vancouver, with the cooperation of the CPR. The film was shot in 15 perforation/70 mm film, using a helicopter and gyro-stabilized camera mount as well as a variety of engine and train mounts.

The film takes the audience on a steam journey along the historic Canadian Pacific route from Vancouver to Montreal, focusing on the western mountain portion. In parallel, it tells the story of the construction of the first transcontinental railway to link the new Dominion of Canada from sea to sea and the massive effort required of a nation of fewer than five million people to connect its population for the first time.

Rocky-Mountain-Express.jpg

Figaro928

We call IASW "the dolly ride" - - that's what my daughter calls it so we go with it - My husband and I were discussing what to do next "we can always go back on the dolly ride" another guest corrected us......

Goofyernmost

That is one of the problems with people that get upset about what people call things. A lot of the time the cute little names like Golf Ball, Glider, Fast Track are either a result of confusion and lack of enough exposure to have committed the real names to memory or like myself, for my own amusement I tend to label them with different names. IASW for example is commonly referred to, by me, as "the boat ride to insanity". I can assure you that I know the proper name, but, I like to have fun with it. I suspect that many of the overheard names used within families were the result of someone, probably a child, misnaming it and it stuck. I know it bothers some people, but, I have no idea why.

HonorableMention

Haven't really had much of a personal experience with this, but on an imagineer special on youtube, one guy asked if the haunted house was haunted. Needless to say, the comments section was a riot.

I don't expect people to call something its full and complicated name, but for the love of god, please don't call BTMRR the runaway train!
Ps: Have heard stories of people asking where Harry Potter world was in MK.

FutureCEO

''I'll have a Guinness Canadian''
''Sorry sir, it's just a Guinness Can..it's not short for Canadian'':banghead:

I actually laughed out loud at this. But this is the best thread ever. Unfortunately, I haven't really seen a lot of stupidity (from people talking). I'm sure if I paid attention], I would.

R W B

On one of my trips, my fiancé was shopping at the imperium in MK, while I was waiting outside I overheard a foreign couple (Asian) ask a CM where Disney World was and the guy held up a post card of Spaceship Earth and he pointed to it and said something along the lines of "All the rides, where is Disney World with all the rides inside?". I basically stopped because I was truly interested in the CMs answer. Well he tried for a few minutes to explain to the couple and wasn't getting anywhere due to the language barrier and to my surprise he got on a radio and specificlly ask for assistance from an Asian CM. A young lady showed up within a few minutes and luckily was fluent in the same style of Asian as the couple and she spent about 10min showing them different maps of the 4 parks and so on and explained everything to them. It was very interesting to watch indeed.

Daniel Johnson

For some reason, maybe because I tend you make up my own names for stuff at Disney, it doesn't bother me. It does how ever get under my skin to hear people say "the castle" instead of Cinderella castle...whatever, just don't block my view and you can call it whatever you like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom