Pre-Trip WELCOME HOME...Our First Trip as DVC Members!

Well this is very exciting for me to be putting together...a pre-trip report for our first park visit as official DVC members! My wife Kelly was adamant about returning to the World in December to experience Christmas in Disney World so we started looking into what our trip might look like back in January.

The last couple of visits we've made WDW, including the most recent in August '16, we rented DVC points to stay in DVC accommodations. We started looking at what that would run us for a trip in December and ended up stumbling across a few resale sites. Well after a few inquires and a lot of research we ended up putting in a bid on a membership at Saratoga Springs to get our foot in the door.

Almost 10 long weeks later we finally received our official membership information from Disney yesterday and here we are...proud DVC members but still kicking ourselves that we didn't seriously look into doing this years ago!

Nonetheless, we are super excited and as new members we quickly started getting into the nitty-gritty of planning our Christmas vacation.

WHO
The usual suspects. Me (Matt), my wife (Kelly) and our two daughters (Ella and Lennon). It's early enough that maybe the grandparents might sneak their way onto the trip but at this point it's just the four of us. We had such a blast last year and we are very much looking forward to getting back again this year.

EPCOT_HCOEPCOT_20160807_7765704575_zpson9uxrme.jpeg
IMG_4109.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg

WHEN
This much we have planned. We will be making our journey from the snow and cold of Edmonton, AB down to what we hope will be far warmer weather in WDW from December 6-16, 2017. I am very much looking forward to wearing shorts for 10 straight days in the month of December which is definitely not going to happen here at home!

WHERE
We jumped online last night once we had everything confirmed and set up with the membership and quickly secured a studio at our home resort, Saratoga Springs. While we'd have no issues with staying here for our upcoming adventure, the idea at this point in time is to look for accommodation elsewhere once the 7 month booking window for non-home resort stays opens up.

We have been floating around a ton of options to this point and ideally our top choices would be (in no order whatsoever) Boardwalk, Beach Club, Wilderness or if we get really lucky, Grand Floridian. It's more than likely we will have to jump on some wait lists for our requests and maybe even split resorts for our trip but that wouldn't be an issue at all. At least we know we have a place to stay and we can start looking into the rest of the trip details from here to December.

*EDIT* - Since first posting we've switched resorts. First night will be spent at AKL and the rest of the trip will be enjoyed in a one-bedroom villa at the Beach Club. Very much looking forward to experiencing two resorts we have yet to stay at.

We have put our name on the wait list for that first night so hopefully the entire stay will be at Beach Club but if not we will definitely make due.

WHAT'S NEXT
We've got a pretty long countdown before we finally step foot back at WDW and from now until then we can concentrate on all the other particulars. As Canadian residents we will be taking advantage of the 25% off theme park tickets, we'll have to secure flights and of course we will be on top of potentially changing resorts, booking our ADR's and scheduling our FP+ once those windows open up.

There will be many updates made to this report in the coming months but I couldn't wait to get back on here and share our news!

Pumped to be DVC, very excited about seeing WDW all dressed up for the holidays and I really can't wait to experience Pandora for the first time!

Looking forward to posting more details as the planning unfolds and I hope that you'll continue to read along and provide your suggestions for restaurants or other fun experiences we should try when we make our way back.

MK_MSCONFEC_20160808_7766700378_zpsx3wh4tvs.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
As we continue to plan and count down the days until we're back, I had looked into potentially ordering themed or character MagicBands however with exchange and shipping fees it ended up being far more expensive than I had anticipated.

I somehow stumbled across MagicBand skins for sale on different Etsy stores and thought that might be a good alternative to ordering all new bands.

So we set out to find something that we all liked and these were delivered last night. Still have to wait to put them on until we pick up our bands when we arrive at GF but everyone seems pretty happy with their selection. Kelly wanted something Christmas themed, Ella loves Alice in Wonderland, Lennon is obsessed with Dumbo (always has been) and Splash is my all-time favourite ride. All-in it cost us $23 Canadian...not a bad alternative.

IMG_5636_zpsxe0e5f3m.jpg

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
60 days out as of today. Kelly and I woke up early (5 am here in Edmonton) to make sure we could get our FastPass+ selections taken care of and I must say things went pretty much how we had planned them a few weeks back.

Made sure to start by securing Flights of Passage times before anything else, which we did for two separate days, the worked through the rest of the trip. Here’s a full list of what we’ve selected...

December 8 - Magic Kingdom (morning)
Big Thunder, Peter Pan’s Flight, Seven Dwarf Mine Train

December 9 - Animal Kingdom (morning)
Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, Flights of Passage

December 10 - Epcot (morning)
Mission Space, Character meet and greet, Frozen Ever After

December 11 - Animal Kingdom (evening after dinner at Sanaa)
Dinosaur, Flights of Passage

December 12 - Magic Kingdom (morning)
Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain

December 13 - Hollywood Studios (morning)
Toy Story, Frozen sing-a-long, Tower of Terror

December 14 - Epcot (morning)
Test Track, Nemo, Spaceship Earth

December 15 - Magic Kingdom (morning)
Seven Dwarf Mine Train, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder

Not too bad even with a few obvious ones missing like the River Journey and Soarin’. No doubt we’ll still enjoy those attractions throughout the trip though.

Also checked in to both the Grand and the Beach Club. I’ll likely send a room request to the Beach Club a few days before we leave to inquire about a room with an Epcot view but really we’ll be happy with wherever we stay.

Amazingly we are pretty much all set now that this all taken care of. Last two things to do will be to order groceries for the Beach Club and add the dining plan a few days before we leave.

In the words of the late, great Tom Petty...the waiting is the hardest part.

dclfan

So exciting. My fastpass + starts on Monday. We will also be in Animal Kingdom the morning of the 9th. I have my fingers crossed for a FOP fastpass. I'm getting so anxious leading up to Monday.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
So exciting. My fastpass + starts on Monday. We will also be in Animal Kingdom the morning of the 9th. I have my fingers crossed for a FOP fastpass. I'm getting so anxious leading up to Monday.

I wasn’t excited about that early wake up but had the same anxiety leading up to this morning. Just wanted to make sure we could secure those FoP times!

Good luck with your window. Hope you get what you’re looking for and hope to see you at AK on the 9th!

dclfan

I wasn’t excited about that early wake up but had the same anxiety leading up to this morning. Just wanted to make sure we could secure those FoP times!

Good luck with your window. Hope you get what you’re looking for and hope to see you at AK on the 9th!

Thank you and I hear ya on the early morning wake up but it will be so worth it come December. I have my parents and in laws coming on this trip and I can only imagine my dad's mood if I tell
Him we don't have a FP and need to wait in line for FOP lol. I will definitely keep an eye out for you and the family on the 9th.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
You will be there before you know it:)
Your vacation sounds wonderful to me and I wish you and your family a magical time.

Thanks so much! It's crazy to think that we are just about two weeks away. This countdown started early in 2017 and now December is nearly upon us. Looking forward to another great visit.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Just over a week out from our trip and the only thing left to do is add the Dining Plan to our reservation. Will be making that call to DVC member services on Sunday and that should pretty much wrap everything up. It'll then just be a matter of getting the rest of our stuff packed and waking up early on the 6th to head to the airport for a long day of travel. With as cold as it's been here since Halloween I can't wait to get back to wearing shorts for 10 days!

As has been the theme since we made our ADRs at the 180-day mark, those plans have changed once again. With our plans to attend the Christmas Party on December 12th, we had to give up our originally scheduled 'Ohana reservation which was devasting to me! but good luck finding a replacement with 10 days to go...thankfully Touring Plans came to the rescue and we were able to find another dinner reservation earlier in our visit.

So, for the last time, our dining plans now look like this...

December 7 - breakfast at 1900 Park Fare and dinner at Chef Art Smith's
December 8 - dinner at Whispering Canyon
December 10 - dinner at 'Ohana (formerly 50's Prime Time Cafe)
December 11 - breakfast at Cape May Cafe and dinner at Sanaa
December 12 - lunch at the Plaza
December 13 - lunch at Beaches and Cream
December 14 - Bon Voyage Adventure Breakfast and dinner at via Napoli
December 15 - breakfast at Be Our Guest (quick service) and dinner at Mama Melrose
December 16 - breakfast at Kona Cafe.

Still a solid lineup and we were able to keep the Plaza in the mix which we thought we'd have to get rid of so that's not too bad. Sad to pass on 50's but to replace it with 'Ohana is a-ok with me!

8 more days...so close I can feel it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom