Pre-Trip WELCOME HOME...Our First Trip as DVC Members!

Well this is very exciting for me to be putting together...a pre-trip report for our first park visit as official DVC members! My wife Kelly was adamant about returning to the World in December to experience Christmas in Disney World so we started looking into what our trip might look like back in January.

The last couple of visits we've made WDW, including the most recent in August '16, we rented DVC points to stay in DVC accommodations. We started looking at what that would run us for a trip in December and ended up stumbling across a few resale sites. Well after a few inquires and a lot of research we ended up putting in a bid on a membership at Saratoga Springs to get our foot in the door.

Almost 10 long weeks later we finally received our official membership information from Disney yesterday and here we are...proud DVC members but still kicking ourselves that we didn't seriously look into doing this years ago!

Nonetheless, we are super excited and as new members we quickly started getting into the nitty-gritty of planning our Christmas vacation.

WHO
The usual suspects. Me (Matt), my wife (Kelly) and our two daughters (Ella and Lennon). It's early enough that maybe the grandparents might sneak their way onto the trip but at this point it's just the four of us. We had such a blast last year and we are very much looking forward to getting back again this year.

EPCOT_HCOEPCOT_20160807_7765704575_zpson9uxrme.jpeg
IMG_4109.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg

WHEN
This much we have planned. We will be making our journey from the snow and cold of Edmonton, AB down to what we hope will be far warmer weather in WDW from December 6-16, 2017. I am very much looking forward to wearing shorts for 10 straight days in the month of December which is definitely not going to happen here at home!

WHERE
We jumped online last night once we had everything confirmed and set up with the membership and quickly secured a studio at our home resort, Saratoga Springs. While we'd have no issues with staying here for our upcoming adventure, the idea at this point in time is to look for accommodation elsewhere once the 7 month booking window for non-home resort stays opens up.

We have been floating around a ton of options to this point and ideally our top choices would be (in no order whatsoever) Boardwalk, Beach Club, Wilderness or if we get really lucky, Grand Floridian. It's more than likely we will have to jump on some wait lists for our requests and maybe even split resorts for our trip but that wouldn't be an issue at all. At least we know we have a place to stay and we can start looking into the rest of the trip details from here to December.

*EDIT* - Since first posting we've switched resorts. First night will be spent at AKL and the rest of the trip will be enjoyed in a one-bedroom villa at the Beach Club. Very much looking forward to experiencing two resorts we have yet to stay at.

We have put our name on the wait list for that first night so hopefully the entire stay will be at Beach Club but if not we will definitely make due.

WHAT'S NEXT
We've got a pretty long countdown before we finally step foot back at WDW and from now until then we can concentrate on all the other particulars. As Canadian residents we will be taking advantage of the 25% off theme park tickets, we'll have to secure flights and of course we will be on top of potentially changing resorts, booking our ADR's and scheduling our FP+ once those windows open up.

There will be many updates made to this report in the coming months but I couldn't wait to get back on here and share our news!

Pumped to be DVC, very excited about seeing WDW all dressed up for the holidays and I really can't wait to experience Pandora for the first time!

Looking forward to posting more details as the planning unfolds and I hope that you'll continue to read along and provide your suggestions for restaurants or other fun experiences we should try when we make our way back.

MK_MSCONFEC_20160808_7766700378_zpsx3wh4tvs.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Yay!!! Congrats on becoming part of the DVC and I look forward to reading another trip report.

Christmas at WDW is beautiful. Your going to be hooked once this trip is over.

Thanks so much! We're pretty excited about the way things have played out.

Last time we were around WDW for Christmas was back in 2009 and ever since Kelly has been itching to get back. We had a blast back then and I'm sure it will be even better with our kids this time around.

LeighM

So excited for you guys!! And totally jealous, not going to lie LOL. I have been soooooo close to buying DVC twice now within the last 5 years but life and other responsibilities keep getting in the way. But one day though! I'll be looking forward to your trip report. Going to WDW in December for their Christmas festivities is up there on my bucket list and I love reading other's trips reports.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
So excited for you guys!! And totally jealous, not going to lie LOL. I have been soooooo close to buying DVC twice now within the last 5 years but life and other responsibilities keep getting in the way. But one day though! I'll be looking forward to your trip report. Going to WDW in December for their Christmas festivities is up there on my bucket list and I love reading other's trips reports.

Thanks very much! We had considered joining years ago but never looked at resale options, only straight through Disney. We were close to pulling the trigger one year but, like you, always defaulted to life's other responsibilities. Just found the timing was right and the deal was excellent so it was almost the perfect storm to finally take the leap.

Appreciate you reading along and I look forward to posting updates and getting even more excited about the trip.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Congratulations on buying into DVC. My wife and I bought in last year as well. We haven't planed our first DVC trip yet, but already want to buy more points!!! I can't wait to hear about your trip.

Congrats to you as well! We probably will have to look into adding more points a little down the road but we think what we've currently got will be put to good use for many years to come until the kids get big enough where a studio might not be the best option for us.

Thanks for reading along and I will certainly do the same once you've got your first DVC trip in the works!

LeighM

Thanks very much! We had considered joining years ago but never looked at resale options, only straight through Disney. We were close to pulling the trigger one year but, like you, always defaulted to life's other responsibilities. Just found the timing was right and the deal was excellent so it was almost the perfect storm to finally take the leap.

Appreciate you reading along and I look forward to posting updates and getting even more excited about the trip.

We would definitely be buying resale as well. We don't really care about the "perks" that come with buying direct from Disney. And I think Saratoga Springs is a great location now with the expansion of Disney Springs.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
We would definitely be buying resale as well. We don't really care about the "perks" that come with buying direct from Disney. And I think Saratoga Springs is a great location now with the expansion of Disney Springs.

Exactly our thought process as well. As nice as it would be to deal with Disney directly we wouldn't be able to swing it and I'm ok with giving up on some of the perks to save a bundle.

Great point about Disney Springs. We're already planning on trying to spend a little more time there than we did last trip and the location of Saratoga would make than much easier to do.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Congrats on becoming DVC members! Very exciting news indeed. This fellow canuck will be in WDW over the same time period (Dec 4-11). This will be our 3rd trip during the Christmas season. Nothing beats seeing Cinderella's castle all decked out in lights for the first time.

Always nice to chat with a fellow Canadian! Where you from? Hopefully we will run into each other while we are there. Grab a Moosehead or something! HAHA

Jae99

Always nice to chat with a fellow Canadian! Where you from? Hopefully we will run into each other while we are there. Grab a Moosehead or something! HAHA
We are in Ontario, about an hour east of Toronto. I am travelling with my daughter (14) and my parents. I will definitely keep an eye out for you and your family. When I get some time to get some planning done I will start a Trip Report of my own. Hopefully our plans will have us in the same parks one of the days.

amjt660

Premium Member
Alrighty then - another great TR on the way from Matty30
Really enjoyed your August one and looking forward to seeing your adventures at Christmas time

And just to clarify - you can easily spend 10 straight days in AB in shorts - you might have to limit how may times you venture outside but you can do it!!!!

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
We are in Ontario, about an hour east of Toronto. I am travelling with my daughter (14) and my parents. I will definitely keep an eye out for you and your family. When I get some time to get some planning done I will start a Trip Report of my own. Hopefully our plans will have us in the same parks one of the days.
Another Ontario Canada Disney fan here
We live in Waterloo - one hour drive west of Toronto

Max

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster

Sounds like it'll be a great trip! I'll be sure to keep an eye open for your report when more plans are in place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom