Weight time vs. wait time...should disney be setting a better example?

Thiger

Original Poster
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/

A really good article about the increasing size of riders for theme parks.

When i was at WDW 2 weeks ago there were two main things that bothered me: 1) how many truly obese people were visiting and
2) although there were some healthy choices available, most of the food served was pretty unhealthy. ie. burgers, fries, chips, etc.

They're getting rid of smoking in their films but do you think that Disney should stand up and lead the way to serving only healthy food in their parks?

*I'm not talking about getting rid of the candy and dole whips, more like the burger/fries combos served for meals.

MissM

No, I don't think they need to remove all unhealthy food options from the parks. They just need to offer both healthy choices and "junk food" choices. It's not up to Disney to police what people eat. People need to take personal responsibility for their food choices. And since Disney is already offering healthier options - grapes instead of fries for example - people can chose to eat lighter fare or not as they wish.

I look forward to my burger and fries when I go because it's a treat for me. I don't eat a lot of junk food so if I want to have something like that when I'm at Disney, that's my prerogative. Love worked very hard, lost 65lbs and will also still enjoy a burger because for us, it's not about eliminating everything from our diets but rather, healthy moderation.

As long as people have a choice between a healthier and a fast food option, I think Disney has satisfied its obligation and the rest is up to the individual guest.
-m

Thiger

Original Poster
oh I know people will get their flame on.

I also know that they offer healthier options, but its a very small percentage of the menu's offered.

I was actually pretty saddened by the healthy choices offered as I generally eat really well. But after a few days of 'treating myself' I found that I was just turned off by the small amount of healthy foods offered.

It may sound silly of me to say, but for a company who's erasing smoking out of their movies, you think they may want to take a bigger stance on un healthy eating habits...

*puts on flame proof suit...ducks n covers*

tigsmom

No, I don't think they need to remove all unhealthy food options from the parks. They just need to offer both healthy choices and "junk food" choices. It's not up to Disney to police what people eat. People need to take personal responsibility for their food choices. And since Disney is already offering healthier options - grapes instead of fries for example - people can chose to eat lighter fare or not as they wish.

I look forward to my burger and fries when I go because it's a treat for me. I don't eat a lot of junk food so if I want to have something like that when I'm at Disney, that's my prerogative. Love worked very hard, lost 65lbs and will also still enjoy a burger because for us, it's not about eliminating everything from our diets but rather, healthy moderation.

As long as people have a choice between a healthier and a fast food option, I think Disney has satisfied its obligation and the rest is up to the individual guest.
-m

I totally agree. I believe that the Disney Company has the obligation to offer healthy choices as well as the less than healthy ones. They offer many types of foods to fit many types of diets and the chefs are more than willing to accommodate just about any request. I have never had a problem getting a healthy meal at WDW and I have even indulged in the less than healthy ones from time to time. When cooked properly a burger and fries fits very well within a healthy lifestyle...moderation is the key.

Try as they might, you cannot legislate healthy eating just as you cannot take away personal rights in regards to smoking and drinking. You can limit them on your property, set minimum age limits for legal consumption, but you cannot stop a person from partaking in a legal activity and that includes eating junk food.

IMPoppins

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/

A really good article about the increasing size of riders for theme parks.

When i was at WDW 2 weeks ago there were two main things that bothered me: 1) how many truly obese people were visiting and
2) although there were some healthy choices available, most of the food served was pretty unhealthy. ie. burgers, fries, chips, etc.

They're getting rid of smoking in their films but do you think that Disney should stand up and lead the way to serving only healthy food in their parks?

*I'm not talking about getting rid of the candy and dole whips, more like the burger/fries combos served for meals.

I can't believe obese people had the audacity to visit WDW for vacation - and while you were there :cool:

Thiger

Original Poster
I guess for me it'd just be nicer to see Disney strongly promoting and not just accommodating.

So what do you guys think of the article about having to adjust the sizes of seats due to the expanding population?

Thiger

Original Poster
I can't believe obese people had the audacity to visit WDW for vacation - and while you were there :cool:

Lol, you took that way out of proportion. I'm not disprespecting obese people as I was quite overweight and spent many years working my way back to a healthy weight.

What I meant by that statement is that the weight problem seems to be running rampant and something must be done about it. Isn't anyone else bothered by the weight problem? Doesn't it scare you that friends and family are getting overly out of shape while corporations are doing very little to help?

KingStefan

I'm with those wanting more healthy choices. TS restaurants, esp. the buffets, offer healthy choices, but it's near impossible to get healthy choices at the CS and snack places. One exception was TH at AK, and now they're converting it into a TS buffet place. I admit that this has been needed at AK, but why do it now when AY&Y is about to open, and there is nothing to replace the healthy choices at TH?

WDW CS in general needs more places that serve broiled chicken, seasonal veggies, veggie sandwiches, salads (with dressing on the side), wraps (again with dressing on side), etc.

Now admittedly, they've gotten a lot better recently. I see more and more healthier choices like turkey sandwiches and salads such, but I still think they need to go further.

steveNJ

why is it their job to help?
you wanna be skinny eat veggies
you wanna be fat eat cheeseburgers
people need to stop thinking gov'ts/corps should dictate how we live and take responsibilty for their own actions and choices

tigsmom

Lol, you took that way out of proportion. I'm not disprespecting obese people as I was quite overweight and spent many years working my way back to a healthy weight.

What I meant by that statement is that the weight problem seems to be running rampant and something must be done about it. Isn't anyone else bothered by the weight problem? Doesn't it scare you that friends and family are getting overly out of shape while corporations are doing very little to help?

But they are doing many things to help! :lol:

The bottom line is Disney is a FOR PROFIT company and they will do what it takes to keep the stockholders happy. If serving what you consider to be unhealthy foods is the way to do it then thats what they will do and you are free to refrain from eating them.

There is little on this earth that is totally unhealthy when taken in moderation, even fats. I have never been unable to get a salad or grilled veggies or meats at WDW. You have to be willing to speak up and ask for things if you do not see what you want. I have eaten off the menus of many of the restaurants in both the parks and resorts and have never had to settle for unhealthy unless I chose to.

tigsmom

why is it their job to help?
you wanna be skinny eat veggies
you wanna be fat eat cheeseburgers
people need to stop thinking gov'ts/corps should dictate how we live and take responsibilty for their own actions and choices

My point exactly!
thumbsup8de.gif

I have no objection to obese people visiting theme parks and I have no objection to unhealthy food being on offer in the counter service restaurants (primarily because I eat it myself!) However, when I'm there for two weeks, say, I do wish there was a wider range of healthy options available at places like Electric Umbrella.

KeeKee

Isn't anyone else bothered by the weight problem? Doesn't it scare you that friends and family are getting overly out of shape while corporations are doing very little to help?

It is indeed a concern, but lots of people make lots of money from other people's misery - sorry to sound so cynical, but it's true. I'm not saying Disney exploits people, but a lot of industries do. It seems that by visiting a Disney park you automatically get a decent amount of exercise just getting from place to place unless, of course, you are "riding" a scooter. That's the sad thing to see - so many who simply can't walk any more due to weight. So, Disney does promote a healthier lifestyle by that factor alone.

Another thing of concern is how many people put perfectly healthy, able-bodied children in strollers and ride them around because it's convenient. It seems that there are more and more strollers all over all of the parks these days. Those kids would really benefit from some walking.

Being a vegetarian, obtaining healthy food at Disney has long been a concern and a bit of a hassle. They seem to be more on board now than ever with offering lighter fare, but that wasn't always so. They could certainly broaden that segment of their menu. It's a bit disheartening to try to find something to eat and be limited to just one item on any of the menus, but that's only a minor annoyance. Overall, Disney does a great job of meeting the needs of the guests to their parks.

DisneyGigi

I don't think that is the food that you consume on vacation at WDW (or any vacation) that is the problem. It is the food that people eat on a daily basis that is the major "weight problem", that and lack of exercise. You can't live on fast -food & boxed dinners and not expect to gain weight.
When we go on vacation I am more free with what I eat (burgers, fries & dole whips) because I don't eat that stuff hardly ever at home.

bryPOD

I feel that out of all the places I've visited around the world, WDW does offer some of the best food options this side of New York City. In Magic Kingdom alone you could enjoy a burger and fries, an Italian dinner at Tony's, some Asian cuisine in Tomorrow Land, and much much more...

It's a matter of balancing your healthy meals, with the unhealthy ones...

hauntdmansion79

HELL NO!

People like to eat guilty pleasures while on vacation, it's just the way it is. Me and my wife do Weight Watchers and we always watch what we eat. But when vacation, we like to loosen the restraints a little bit and eat fun stuff. We have already decided when we go to Disney in March, that it will be mostly burgers and fries, and we'll just work extra hard when we get home to work it off. But I wouldn't want to go to Disney World and eat only healthy food. I grew up eating Disney's burgers and fries, it's tradition and wouldn't be the same without them.

Also, you could offer only the healthiest food possible at Disney World and it still would never eliminate the obese people from visiting Disney World.

kstella

If you meant no disresepct then maybe your phrasing could have been better, because you certainly came off as disrespectful. Not everyone is destined to be other people's idea of skinny and skinny doesn't neccessarily mean healthy. Many people are larger and healthy. People need to get over body size as the only measure of health. History shows that human beings have been getting taller and bigger framed as time goes on. Of course Disney is going to offer the unhealthy choices, it's a vacation and people want to enjoy themselves and eat things that the might not ordinarily eat otherwise. How long do you think Disney would stay in business if they became the food police and only offered things that were good for you.

Thiger

Original Poster
I have no objection to obese people visiting theme parks and I have no objection to unhealthy food being on offer in the counter service restaurants (primarily because I eat it myself!) However, when I'm there for two weeks, say, I do wish there was a wider range of healthy options available at places like Electric Umbrella.

totally agree about this one. It would be awesome to see fruit stands, bbq stands and the like all over.

People say to stop blaming businesses and governments but to be honest, cost-effective foods are hurting our general health. I believe no matter what financial situation you live in, the option to eat healthy food should be there.

I think it would be amazing to see Disney take an even more active approach to healthy eating in the parks.

dreamfinder

Disney as a company is making an effort. I do believe they recently announced that all food marketed towards children using their brands/images/characters need to meet certain guidelines within the next few years. If you get the apple slices instead of fries, I believe that the apple slices product falls into that category. If you notice the kids meals, most of them come with the healthy choice standard, and that the purchaser needs to specifically say that they want the soft drink instead of the milk, or the fries instead of the apple sauce/grapes.
I will agree that their offerings for adults are pretty slim, but almost all the CS offered some sort of salad, and I saw veggie burgers with apple slices a few times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom