"We Will Win" signs posted over Universal Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheneix

What's the street address on that? The area north of Sand Lake across I-4 is loaded with housing developments, UCF, and golf courses.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
don't know.. but it's the opposite direction of where you're thinking.

pheneix

It has to be. In fact, the only area I see that is cleared out (but it looks like it is close to 1800 acres) is south of Sand Lake. Here's a shot off of Mapquest. I have circled the land in question in red, and the current UO site in green.

Attachments

• mqmapgend.gif
    mqmapgend.gif
    43.7 KB · Views: 149

Herbie53

Premium Member
Originally posted by chisox01
Granted universal is smaller right now, but they are continuing to work on building ingenious attractions and a reputation of a world-class tourist destination. Ultimately Universal will win be it five,ten, or twenty years from now.
While on the other hand Disney is just trying to maintain the standards they have now which have already fallen off over the past years. Rather than focusing on improvement they are expanding across the globe and introducing a series of mediocre attractions to keep people coming back to thier old parks. Ever been to Chester and Hester's?

Maybe expanding across the globe is the way to win. You know, not putting all your eggs in one basket.

Cheryl

:hammer: Sorry Universal! Disney is where it's at! Nothing can top the friendly service and cleanest park! I've been to parks all over the US while growing up, Disney is definitely the best! :animwink:

Cheerios!
Cheryl

pheneix

>>>Maybe expanding across the globe is the way to win.<<<

On that note, look for something to happen in Germany in the near future.

Testtrack321

I got into a 20 plus page thread about D vs. U in another board, so I know where everything comes from. Disney is lowering their standard (MKTiggerman). But this happened in the 80's before Esiner moved in (the good one). Noe E$iner (c) is about to leave in the next year (rumors), expect these standards to rise.

Now to the "Big U". They are trying. But as one family told us at AKL, U hires D "rejects". Plus, the one thing E$iner hates than WDI and Baxter, is a competitor. So if Universal goes up high (close to DL), expect huge remorms. They are striding right now. E$iner will drop out soon in the race, and a new sprinter will come. He will fix the parks up nice, stride, then a new CEO will come.

pheneix

>>>I got into a 20 plus page thread about D vs. U in another board, so I know where everything comes from.<<<

Where was it? Being in an debate is one thing, but reading one kind of gives me a grin for some reason. ;)

>>>But this happened in the 80's before Esiner moved in (the good one).<<<

But to be fair, Disney was still pumping just about all of it's resources into it's parks, and providing high quality entertainment. Yes, the studios were a total joke (and they are now too), but Disney still provided the best entertainment it could. Can we really say the same about Disney today?

>>>But as one family told us at AKL, U hires D "rejects".<<<

That is a completely bogus statement now. I will admit that up until last year Universal employees were pretty awful, but with the new leadership and strict standards, the problem employees have found their way out the door.

And some ex-imagineers did help Universal create the best new theme park on American soil since Epcot.

The wild card that can change things is, as you said, Eisner leaving. There is a chance that someone with a true understanding of Disney's philosophy will come in and turn Disney into the great company it once was, but I really don't expect the company to be ran any differently when Pittman/who knows takes over. What will happen is that the new CEO will almost definitely put experienced people into their respective divisions, and yes, that will cause standards to rise. Will it be on the scale of what Universal has been attempting? That remains to be seen. I guess it all depends on how much damage is done between now and then.

Testtrack321

My statement was about the CM's you see. They wern't good when I went Aug. 2001.

Fievel, don't kill me... 20 pages when you look at it in different views ;)

Also, what were they pouring in the parks before Esiner? Nothing. They mabey had the finishing of JII or Horizons, but everything was pretty dim and grizlly (not a refrence to somebody...) at the WD Company then.

pheneix

>>>Also, what were they pouring in the parks before Esiner?<<<

75: Space Mountain

76: River Country

79-80 ish: Thunder Mountain

82: Epcot

83: Horizons

86: Living Seas

Considering Disney's size at the time, that is hardly nothing.

Testtrack321

No, no! I mean right before Esiner. When Disney was truly sagging! Two pavilions can hardly compare to money in the parks. Two reasons, one it is sponsored, the second is that it was something that was in development when the park was under construction. This was a planned part, not an addition a few years latter.

pheneix

>>>No, no! I mean right before Esiner. When Disney was truly sagging!<<<

You mean how they were in court battles to keep their characters, their studios were a joke, their stock price was in the gutters, and the only thing that was keeping them afloat was their theme parks?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Disney4648
Rob, why would Lockheed Martin buy land in Orlando? To test its jets a MCO? Very weird move.

Orlando is the capital for flight simulation and design. Lockheed Martin (then Martin Marietta) has been in Orlando for a long, LONG time. Almost as long as Disney

Testtrack321

Originally posted by pheneix
>>>No, no! I mean right before Esiner. When Disney was truly sagging!<<<

You mean how they were in court battles to keep their characters, their studios were a joke, their stock price was in the gutters, and the only thing that was keeping them afloat was their theme parks?

Parks? No. That was their bank account and their board that kept them alive. The parks were going down. Then Esiner came in and did good, then turned evil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom