"We Will Win" signs posted over Universal Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don L Duck

Thats Gaults opinion I'm sure Eisner thinks different and it's all PR CRAP anyway.
Bottom line is Disney will never let itself be beat.
And in case you forgot there are more rides an attractions coming in.
I'm sure they will address any CM problem also.
Also you are comparing WDW to a whole sony corporation.
What did all of The Disney corporation as a whole make.
Besides I was comparing theme parks as a whole to video games as a whole not the corporation.:)

Don L Duck

You hit it right on the head with sony before no one has the CHARISMA or MYSTIQE that Disney has that's why they will be Number one.

JLW11Hi

I think that over the next, lets go as far as to say, 100 years, both theme parks will have their ups and downs. For a few straight years, Universal may be at the top. Then when Disney comes out with its next big thing, they will be at the top. Then visa versa, etc. Who knows? Mabey some other theme park might be made to compete with the top dogs. All I know is, it would be hard to believe that in 100 years, there won't be any Disney World or Universal Studios, just because one "won out" over the other. So I say: Don't worry about it!

pheneix

>>>Thats Gaults opinion I'm sure Eisner thinks different and it's all PR CRAP anyway.<<<

The great and talented Eisner, what a man... :lol:

And it's not PR crap. Mktiggerman has already said what "We Will Win" is all about, it's on the first page of the thread I believe.

>>>Bottom line is Disney will never let itself be beat.<<<

Trust me, if it came to increasing profits vs. being #1 in the industry, Disney would choose profits. :(

>>>I'm sure they will address any CM problem also.<<<

Disney has such a high turnover rate that management does not care about whether or not their CMs are happy in the least. That is why all of the talented and guest-centric CMs have defected to Universal. Universal generally does a much better job at bringing pride into the workplace.

>>>Also you are comparing WDW to a whole sony corporation.<<<

No, I was comparing to SCEA to WDW. SCEA is only a division of Sony, kind of like WDW is to Disney.

>>>What did all of The Disney corporation as a whole make.<<<

They posted losses to the tune of over $500 million.

Herbie53

Premium Member
Originally posted by pheneix
>>>>>>What did all of The Disney corporation as a whole make.<<<

They posted losses to the tune of over $500 million.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not knowledgeable about corporate finances, but I'm looking at Disney's 2001 Annual Report for Stockholders, and unless I'm totally misunderstanding what I'm reading, your number is totally wrong. What is your information source? :confused: :veryconfu

pheneix

Disney had to take a $1 billion dollar charge for shuttering Go.com. It was conviently glossed over in the annual report, and technically Disney doesn't even consider it a factor in terms of profits vs. revenues, but the fact is, Disney did it to themselves with Go.com. It was a strain on profits for years, and in the end it cost them billions, including the one time charge of a billion. That charge completely wiped away any profits the company made last year and put them in the red. They've recovered from it, but it is a scar that will be remembered for a while.

If you read the Annual Report, they will tell you how high their profits were. Ask any shareholder or analyst, and they will tell you otherwise.

Don L Duck

Oh Well you've convinced me I guess I will back Univeral from now on.
Let's see I think I will go on a ferry ride,or ride the monorail,
Maybe stay at one of their great resorts,I know catch one of their parades,
Better yet catch a bus to one of their many parks,or eat at one of their great restaurants.
Shall I go on or just stop now. :brick: :brick: :brick:

Herbie53

Premium Member
Disney had to take a $1 billion dollar charge for shuttering Go.com. It was conviently glossed over in the annual report, and technically Disney doesn't even consider it a factor in terms of profits vs. revenues, but the fact is, Disney did it to themselves with Go.com. It was a strain on profits for years, and in the end it cost them billions, including the one time charge of a billion. That charge completely wiped away any profits the company made last year and put them in the red. They've recovered from it, but it is a scar that will be remembered for a while.

If you read the Annual Report, they will tell you how high their profits were. Ask any shareholder or analyst, and they will tell you otherwise.

I saw the footnote that says they calculated this loss as if it had happened at the beginning of fiscal year 2000 since it was a single impact, but I still can't figure how that puts them half a billion in debt. :veryconfu :veryconfu

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Don L Duck
Oh Well you've convinced me I guess I will back Univeral from now on.
Let's see I think I will go on a ferry ride,or ride the monorail,
Maybe stay at one of their great resorts,I know catch one of their parades,
Better yet catch a bus to one of their many parks,or eat at one of their great restaurants.
Shall I go on or just stop now. :brick: :brick: :brick:

I only wish I could say what I want to, without having to resort to namecalling... but since I can't.. too bad..

you're a wiseass

pheneix

It doesn't place them in debt, they paid it off. On that note, Disney does have a high company debt, but I can't remember the exact figure.

That's interesting that they considered it part of fiscal year 2000, because on the last quarterly report, they tried to save face (last quarter was not a good quarter at all for Disney) by comparing their profits to the LOSS of the same quarter the previous year. Why was there a loss? Because of the one-time charge from Go.com. Hmm...

>>>Shall I go on or just stop now.<<<

Please stop and consider that Disney has had a 20 YEAR HEADSTART in Central Florida. If you look at the rate of growth between the two resorts during their first 12 years, you'd see that it is pretty much the same. Disney had a couple of resorts, a campground (which Universal does not need), and a golf course, but that's about it. Or maybe you can look at the numbers from a black and white perspective, it's really your call.

Don L Duck

Originally posted by mktiggerman

I only wish I could say what I want to, without having to resort to namecalling... but since I can't.. too bad..

you're a wiseass
I am not a wise just tired of the Disney bashing.
Maybe you should work at Universal full time.
I am just trying to prove my point that you can't compare the two.

mkt

Premium Member
Maybe you should work at Universal full time.

I do..

I am just trying to prove my point that you can't compare the two.

oh yes you can.. your basis for no comparison is unfair, given Disney's 20 year head start against Universal. In 1981 WDW was 1 theme park, 3(?) resorts, a water park and a few golf courses... right now Universal Orlando is 2 parks, 1 water park (Wet-N-Wild), 2 (soon 3) resorts, a nighttime shopping/dining/entertainment district, and zero golf courses.

Let’s wait and see what happens over the next 10 years.

Don L Duck

OK Lets wait and see.
I know Disney will still be superior.
There's no way they will give up on being the best.
As for working at Universal full time good for you.
Maybe you should leave Disney before it's too late.
Reading some of your posts makes me think you have an axe to grind with them anyway.
You can't compare the two because Disney came up with it first everyone else is a copy.

pheneix

>>>I am not a wise just tired of the Disney bashing.<<<

It's not bashing. I feel that the 4 Magic Kingdoms and Epcot Center (not the soulless shell of a park it has morphed into today) are the best 5 theme parks in the world. And if it was, is it any different than the countless cheap shots and bashing I have seen here at Universal, most of them based on preconcieved notions from people who have never even set foot in the gates? I've never really done any bashing of Disney here at all, I've offered my opinion and pointed out that while (damn, how many times will this have to be reposted!) Disney is lower their standards, becoming less innovative, Universal is raising their standards. They are making their parks cleaner, they are better maintained, they are producing more engaging experiences for their audience. There is going to be a point in the near future where the changes in direction are going to be frighteningly apparent (I feel there already is a difference, but I tend to follow the "backstage" differences more than other parkgoers).

>>>Maybe you should work at Universal full time.<<<

I don't work at either (though I was very close to getting a job at Disney until I heard the horror stories) would rather work at Universal than the oppressive workplace hell that is the Walt Disney Company.

pheneix

>>>In 1981 WDW was 1 theme park, 3(?) resorts, a water park and a few golf courses<<<

There was the Magic Kingdom, Contemporary, Polynesian, Fort Wilderness Campground, Disney Inn, 2, maybe 3 golf courses, River Country, and the Disney Viliage.

They had a campground and a handful of golf courses over Universal (comparing them year-to-year, of course). What an overwhelming advantage.

Herbie53

Premium Member
Given that Disney does have a headstart, doesn't Universal have to expand faster than Disney to ever catch up? And won't Universal run out of land first? So maybe the status quo will remain for quite a long while?

And doesn't Universal garner more business by having Disney as a neighbor, than they lose by having them as a competitor? So maybe the status quo works pretty well for Universal?

pheneix

>>>Given that Disney does have a headstart, doesn't Universal have to expand faster than Disney to ever catch up?<<<

Not really. Universal is quickly building a loyal following because of the kickass thrill rides they have (and to a certain extent because Disney is constently dissappointing so many people). Just by building an audience they will catch up to Disney. Yes, they will have to expand a little faster to catch up with Disney in terms of total size, but just marketing and building up what they already have will go a long way.

>>>And doesn't Universal garner more business by having Disney as a neighbor, than they lose by having them as a competitor?<<<

I believe that for a long time, but I really don't think Disney affects them as much as is widely believed. Disney's attendance is down by over 10% for the year, while Universal is holding steady for the year and is making some slight gains. I think Universal can stand by itself and be successful.

mkt

Premium Member
OK Lets wait and see.
I know Disney will still be superior.

Until something happens, you don’t know ANYTHING

There's no way they will give up on being the best.

I believe that, but remember.. it isn’t a fact, and even I’ll admit that. It is wholly opinion. There are people out there who think Disney is crap, and 6 flags is #1. We all have the right to express our opinions, and the responsibility to not make ourselves seem asinine when we do.

As for working at Universal full time good for you.

It is good for me. Hmm… get paid more money, get equal benefits, and get treated better... WHILE DOING THE EXACT SAME JOB??? I know I’m not the only WDW CM that works for both (in fact I can name at least 30 I know of.

Maybe you should leave Disney before it's too late.

nah.. down inside I still have the unwavering faith that Disney will come out of this turmoil and continue being THE best in Theme Park entertainment. They are right now, but they are getting rusty (otherwise wdwblues.com would NEVER have come about) and their competition is getting closer (Universal has the #1 ranked theme park ride in the world… hmm?)

Reading some of your posts makes me think you have an axe to grind with them anyway.

anyone who knows my history with the Disney company, knows why I’m mad at them, and why I’m still there (dan, you can back me up on that).

You can't compare the two because Disney came up with it first everyone else is a copy.

actually... Disney is technically a copy of the original amusement parks (Coney Island, Cliffside Park, Crystal Beach, etc). Walt NEVER intended for the parks to become into the modern day “theme parks” but rather just wanted a safe and clean amusement park that complete families could enjoy... which in the end, became the theme park. Disneyland drew from a plethora of influences, which included dark rides (i.e.- carnival spook rides, etc) and even ice capades. So don’t say that Disney started it.. They may have perfected it, but they sure weren’t the first.

Herbie53

Premium Member
>>>

>>>And doesn't Universal garner more business by having Disney as a neighbor, than they lose by having them as a competitor?<<<

I believe that for a long time, but I really don't think Disney affects them as much as is widely believed. Disney's attendance is down by over 10% for the year, while Universal is holding steady for the year and is making some slight gains. I think Universal can stand by itself and be successful.

At this point in time, Universal does not have enough attractions to completely fill a typical family vacation. So don't they depend on Disney to draw people both nationally and internationally? I know I personally could not justify the 2400 mile round trip to Orlando if Disney was not there.

pheneix

>>>There are people out there who think Disney is crap, and 6 flags is #1.<<<

I've met one of them. I tried to have him committed to a mental hospital too. :)

>>>It is good for me. Hmm… get paid more money, get equal benefits, and get treated better... WHILE DOING THE EXACT SAME JOB???<<<

That seems to be the general consensus. But be sure to smile or you'll be fired. :D

>>>They are right now, but they are getting rusty and their competition is getting closer (Universal has the #1 ranked theme park ride in the world… hmm?)<<<

I kind of feel that Disney and Universal are on the same level. The line is way too blurred to clearly point out who is coming on top, but it's getting clearer (Hint: Universal is trying hard).

>>>At this point in time, Universal does not have enough attractions to completely fill a typical family vacation.<<<

That is true, but that could be a small advantage to UO right now. A lot of people (myself included), like to have "long weekends" throughout the year, meaning that I'll leave on Friday, play around somewhere on Saturday and Sunday, and come back on Monday. Universal Orlando is the PERFECT place to do that (so is the Disneyland Resort, but I live too far away from there to justify the expense of staying there for only a weekend).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom